Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Stall Strips >

Stall Strips

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Stall Strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Strips

I have a Lanier Edge 540 (1.20 size), The plane has a high wing loading, which means I also have a high stall speed. I've seen them on full scale aircraft, but has anyone tried Stall Strips on a model to decrease stall speed. This plane lands like a brick coming out of the sky.
Thanks
Harry
Old 06-16-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stall Strips

It will come down like a heavier brick with "stall strips". These are NOT an aid to reducing stall speed!
Full scales use them as an audible warning to the pilot that he is approaching a stall.
Useless for that purpose on a model.
Keep the speed up.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Stall Strips

Stall strips increase the stall speed. They are used (usually on tapered wings) to create turbulence on the leading edge and cause the wing root to stall before the tips do, thereby maintaining aileron control in the stall.

Tall Paul - You are thinking of stall warning indicators which are designed to trip before reaching critical angle of attack.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Stall Strips

If stall strips are not the answer, does anyone have any ideas, other than get a lighter plane next time.
Thanks
Harry
Old 06-16-2003, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stall Strips

Originally posted by mjd3
Stall strips increase the stall speed. They are used (usually on tapered wings) to create turbulence on the leading edge and cause the wing root to stall before the tips do, thereby maintaining aileron control in the stall.

Tall Paul - You are thinking of stall warning indicators which are designed to trip before reaching critical angle of attack.
No I'm not!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:31 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default Stall Strips

You can raise both ailerons very slightly which will allow you to reach a higher angle of attack without stalling the tips. But this is risky business and may provide only marginal results. Another drawback is that it will create tip stalls when you go to negative G's.

By the way, stall strips are designed to cause the inboard part of the wing to stall first. FAA regulations require an artificial stall warning to be installed if the natural stall warning of the wing is not severe enough or early enough to meet certification requirements. This is normally done electronically or mechanically. The manufacturer does not want to sacrifice lift by aerodynamically creating a pre-stall warning. I know, because I've flown hundreds of full scale test flights in dozens of types of aircraft from sailplanes to Boeing transport category aircraft.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Stall Strips

Have you considered making the plane less heavy ?

this can often be done by drilling out some wood (circles like in wing ribs) is the fuselage sides & bottom. Are the stab & fin & rudder & elevator build-up or are they complete wood ? dril holes in them then!

Also, consider the use of lighter servo's, bat pack, receiver....
the lighter the plane, the lower stall speed you will have...
Old 06-17-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Stall Strips

Originally posted by Tall Paul
No I'm not!
Yea you are!

Harry - if you've got duel aileron servos, flaps will reduce the stall speed.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Stall Strips

What did you do to get the high wing loading?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Stall Strips

Those of you who have used flaps on landing. How much are you dropping the ailerons.
Thanks
Harry