Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Complex shape flying wing/delta CG calculator

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Complex shape flying wing/delta CG calculator

Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Complex shape flying wing/delta CG calculator

Very good analysis and explanation guys! Let's go back to the topic, I heard about integral here, that's correct. I believe this is where the CG formula came from after evaluation. BTW for linear, graphical also works very well. For variable rates or curves, it is complex and can be solved accurately by integral.

If I'm not mistaken, MAC is defined by the product of square of chord and the half span of the wing divided by its (half wing) area. In other words it's the volume of a half wing panel divided by its area.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

There are lots of method in solving MAC for complex wings I believe so, another is by using increment of chord and by summing it up, you will get an approximate result. By making increment (rate of change) smaller or as approaches to zero the more it becomes accurate.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM
sdbruder

Im 3 years late, but Ive made a javascript calculator for multiple panel wings in http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/

MAC for single panels is simple, there is a well know graphic method, and when your wing has multiple panels, you find the individual MAC's for each panel and use a 'general MAC' using the weighted (by the area) mean of all MACs. See http://www.paracreo.com/articles/Par...ic%20Chord.pdf for the math details.

Or use my javascript calculator
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Hey combatpig, Do you have any info on that yellow and black delta wing? I really like that design. I want to try building it as a twin, with a tractor and pusher setup, only because i have never done it before so its worth a shot. what is it made of? and if you dont have plans would you be kind enough to just give the basic info, like power system and wingspan/airfoil. Thank you and nice plane!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wing is built from solid, light grade 1/4" thick balsa. It has 28 inches of span.
There is a 3/16" x 1/4" spruce spar that is about 14" long to reenforce the wing.
Flat bottom airfoil, I just round off the top side to a nice smooth contour.
The engine is a 1cc Cyclon with 4.2x4 prop.
A pair of HS65 servos to control elevons.
The whole thing weighs about 14 ozs with a 350 mah battery and micro RX.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 AM
edsplane

HI Mike. Please do not "simplify" the drawing of your complex wing. You will only build more errors into your CG calculations.

There is a small program that is available, to do exactly what you want. It is specifically designed for complex wing shapes like yours. It's easy to use, there's plenty of free tech support and you get accurate solutions in just a few minutes. It will give you the CG and Neutral Point of your plane, so you can easily tell how stable the plane will be and it lets you adjust these values, so that you fine-tune the performance of the plane to your level of flying skills. And, all of the math is done for you.

Look at www.rcaeronauts.com, for a good discussion and the answers you need.
Best of luck.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:02 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Would a Flying Wing calculator work on Normal swept back airplane wing..???
Old 02-24-2020, 10:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it won't. See the answer in your other post.