Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

What would you like to see

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

What would you like to see

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you like to see

Well in an attempt to get the custumer as involved as possible I wanted to see what you all thought we could improve upon espiacally since the 260's will be here soon. We are not looking for a new desighn however just ideas that you think would make the planes even better than they are now or things you think could be clearer in the manuel. Whatever you think could be done post it here.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
jeide
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What would you like to see

How about a nice lazer cut kit for the guy that wants to build his own airplane. I would never buy an ARF and would love to see an well done kit with the builder in mind. I've seen the Edge kits but I want to sheet my own wings and stabs so I can keep the quality up to my demands. How about the Extra 260's in full kit form? I'll do the instruction manuals if that's the holdup. Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 AM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I have to second the kit idea. There just aren't enough QUALITY kit manufacturers out there. We need something that can compete with Carden's kits......that means something that flies just as good and also LOOKS just as good. Asthetics are just as important as flying characteristics, IMO.

Pre-sheeted foam is nice....but a version without isn't a bad idea either. I'm on the fence about what version I would buy if I had a choice.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 PM
capngriz
My Feedback: (7)

What a great question - "What would you like to see" -

Well... I would like to see someone provide an ARF that actually falls in the weight span as advertised. If you guys/Aeroworks can do this, I think you will add many loyal fans to your customer list (and you have many already).

I'm sorry if you were only looking for more plane requests, but I think this would be one of the greatest accomplishments in RC history. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a huge concern in this industry.

OK...I really want the 260, but can I expect it to come in as advertised by you and TBM? BTW - TBM advertises 23 lbs with a BME 110 , ZDZ 80 and some carbon parts.

That is what I really want!!! I have a DA 100 though...so 25 lb is reasonable???
Old 02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Mark Dennis

My goal when i get mine is 25-25 1/2 #'s . But i am going all carbon,no cans no extra thing like power boxes one reciever and nimh batteries. I will have either a DA or 3W on the nose. So do i think 25 is possible yes but only if you watch the weight on the things you put into it. I could easily add weight to the plane by putting in redundent systems and all of the other heavy extra's that people seem to put in there planes these days.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 AM
capngriz

I have the same setup as you plan in my JTEC Extra (unfortunately, it is 28lbs with all the carbon and 1 servo per ail). Good luck and please let us know if you are able to achieve your goal. I will definately order one if so!!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
jeide
My Feedback: (111)

Hi Mark. I thought you were going to do some IMAC flying. If you don't use cans or pipes you won't be able to make the noise limits.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Mark Dennis

Alot of the fields here arent limited so it really dosent matter. And besides if i need cans i can always drop them in the night before.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Mark,

I realize that there has been an overhaul at Aeroworks. I was actually fine with the last round of aircraft, like the Katana's and the other ARF's. One thing they were lacking was a good product manual. I haven't picked up any of the new line aircraft yet, but hope that the company has put a great deal of time in getting the manual setup to support a quick and clear build of the airplane without second guessing, etc. Prior to the Quickbuild ARFs, there was a lot of replacing hardware and making modifications so that the aircraft were at least close to what I expected in an airplane (Wing bolts in the fuselage, Robart hinges, lighter gear, etc.) As long as you guys continue down your current path, things can only get better.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Mark Dennis

We have made all of the changes you described above and then some. Go check out the manuels on the site for the 260 or yak they will blow you away.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
tomswrld
My Feedback: (1)

Hi , Mark. Did the 260s arrive yet? Payday Friday, and I can skate right down to the shop! Thanks, Tom
Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Mark Dennis

Not yet we are being told early next week. We will send out an email, call, or post it here when they are ready to be shipped or picked up.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Mark,

All joking and sarcasm aside, I would like to make a couple of comments that I personally think would promote business a little......

Many 33 to 35% Arfs are getting way down on price, but have decent quality built in. When you compare an ARF to a KIT, for the guys that just want to go fly, it is a no brainer. No one can build a kit, purchase the hardware and covering, and then put it all together for a decent price compared to buying an ARF and putting an engine and radio gear in it.

What I am trying to say is that isn't it about time to bring the kit prices down some?! I know that one particular manufacturer only has about $275 in their 35% kits, but they still charge about $600 +/-. I understand that you first have to make a living selling your products, but I also think that if you were to lower the prices, then you could sell more quantity and come out about the same. I say this because with a lower price, you should sell more kits which then means you have to buy more materials in bulk which get you a better price and so forth and so on.

Another factor to selling more kits is that many people would like to fly a kit built plane due to the higher quality construction, but maybe they aren't good builders. Their only alternative is to have someone build it for them. By the time you add the cost of the kit, then the cost of building etc. etc. etc, the total cost makes the ultimate decision. Many builders charge the cost of the kit to frame a plane up. What this means is that if a kits price was reduced by $150, that person would save $300. $150 for the lowered price of the kit and $150 for the reduced cost to build. It is a win win win situation for the manufacturers, the customers and the builders.

Just something to think about.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:19 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I definitely agree with you, CAP, but the problem would be in increasing the supply to keep a steady flow of sales for the demand.. As it is, even at the price that most companies are selling ARF's (none of which I find outrageous, btw) right now, they can't always reliably keep them in stock at a constant rate, unless maybe if a company were to focus on one aircraft design. As it is, my guess is that when the first containers of new release aircraft show up, and sell out, there will be another lag in the restock due to runs of other new release aircraft having priority at the MFR, etc. Plus, I am sure there is only so much balsa to go around...just a thought
Old 02-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Divesplat

I'll third the reply for KITS. Having built both the 36% Edge (years ago) and 2 37% Extras (again years ago) it was really sad to have to buy an ARF. However, the deal made to me ($1700 for DA100, Mufflers, 35% Extra ARF, with hardware and wheels plus shipping) was too difficult to beat.

I am always leary of the construction on anything I haven't built myself though. I haven't had any problem, except I have the same scheme as everyone else AAUUGGHHHHH so much for individualism.

Ed
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Mark Dennis

Well to answer the replies for the kits we do have our Edges and CA's 330's yes the wings are sheeted but that is what most people like about them. And it's a lot more than just doing a manuel (though that takes a lot of time) they need to be flown, tested, promoted, and manufactered. And as the ARF's get better kit builders seem to die off more and more which means a smaller market but we still have to order the same # of planes which means less money to come out with new kits or arfs. A few years ago if you wanted a nice plane you had to build it yourself but this isn't true anymore with the advancement in the arf industry. So to sum it all up sorry no kits for now unless you want a CA or our edge which still build very light even though the wings are presheeted.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:54 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Mark one thing i would like is on the 75cc and bigger planes have a third servo hole and hard point near center for those who want to use just 1 servo. You can leave it covered and any one who wants just 1 servo per ail. can cut it open and recover the other 2 holes.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:42 AM
cobia
My Feedback: (30)

Mark I want to see A 3D Warbird nobody has one A 50 cc Mustang QB with over size control surface 84 inch wingspan 80 length 15 lbs Ill expect to fly one in July.so get on it.thanks Roger Barnes
Old 03-24-2006, 10:50 PM
flyindoc
My Feedback: (8)

I agree with Jmiracle about the wings. I was going to purchase one of the 29% Edge 540T builders kits, but unfortunately the wing skins are glued on with EPOXY. I fly my planes pretty hard and just don't trust epoxy for wing skins. Plus I prefer to be the one to sheet the wings. I certainly wouldn't bash the quality control of your kits, but if I do the work then I know it is done to MY satisfaction.

Its unfortunate as there isn't a good 29% Edge kit on the market that is a true builders kit.

Maybe you could offer the kits with the wings unsheeted. I certainly would purchase one.

thanks,

Flyindoc
Old 03-25-2006, 02:08 AM
rcblimppro

Flindoc, what is it that you don't trust about wings that are sheeted using epoxy? I have been flying a CA 38% Exra for over a year now and the wings are holding up fantastically. I am guessing here and I'm sure Mark will correct me if I am wrong but I would assume that Colombo is being contracted to cut and sheet these Aeroworks kits. If that is the case I can assure you that the sheeting process is top notch. The seams are all but invisable after finish sanding and they are very strait. on the 38% the first 1/3 of the wing is even glassed between the foam and balsa. IMO epoxy is the only way to go for sheeting foam. BAck in '97 I sheeted all the foam parts for a buddies AW 36% Edge. That airplane is still flying today along with a couple of Carden 35% Caps done the same year. I recently helped my father assemble his QB 260 and the only thing I saw that I would change is to use epoxy for the cowl and wheel pants and not polyester. The 260 already has a preceived weight problem ( I say preceived because at 28 # it still flys light ) but a well done epoxy cowl and wheel pants will drop almost 1/2 pound over what is supplied with the airplane.

Shawn Berkheimer

R/C Blimp Productions.com
Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
flyindoc
My Feedback: (8)

My hangup with epoxy is multifactorial.

1. It is difficult, if not impossible to ensure that the entire foam to balsa surface is mated together. I say this only because you get no expanding qualities of epoxy unlike poly glues.

2. It weighs a lot more.

3. It gets brittle over time and looses some of its strength.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Johny rc

I would like to see you apply what you did with the 260, and bring back, the arf 540T what a great flying aircraft, very stable, and pridictable 540T QB
Old 03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
rcblimppro

ORIGINAL: flyindoc

My hangup with epoxy is multifactorial.

1. It is difficult, if not impossible to ensure that the entire foam to balsa surface is mated together. I say this only because you get no expanding qualities of epoxy unlike poly glues.

Not completly true, when a core is properly sanded, cleaned and then a vaccum bag is employed every square inch of balsa is going to get bonded to the foam. I would say this is a process issue not an epoxy issue.

2. It weighs a lot more.

Only if the core is not properly preped or the builder is just plain using too much. If the core is sanded smooth to get rid of the wire grooves it will take only a very thin film of epoxy to bond the skins. This would be more of a problem with Probond as it is difficult to know how much it is going to expand so extra glue could be used. My CA 38% Extra wing panels weigh 3.3 lbs complete. Again a process issue but one that would hold true with both adhisives.

3. It gets brittle over time and looses some of its strength.

The only way this could happen is if the epoxy is subjected to UV. Not the case here. Polester will get brittle and back in the days of Byron Originals this was an issue with some of their fusalages.

SHawn
Old 03-25-2006, 04:58 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Mark - It seems many of the requests on this thread are for your past products. Past kits, past Edge ARF. The R & D was already done on these so it would be much less cost wise to re-introduce products than to develope new ones. As far as ARF's go, I am moving away from them as much as possible. The biggest reason is wood. You can save several pounds by using lighter wood in a kit built plane.

I could be wrong, but I think others are getting away form ARF's also to save weight and be more confident in the strructural integrity. I hope others will chime in here.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Mark Dennis

Actually peole are going more towards arf's. If you think about it why would you want to sit and build a plane for months when you can have a plane that weighes about a pound more and build it in 10-12 hours and the same if not better quality that what most "professinall" builders can do and for a lot less money. I was just out at the field today we had my friends scratch built Extra 330 ( an old Aeroworks) and my 260 his weighed 26.25 #'s with a carbon tube but other than that same stuff as my 260 and my 260 came out at 27#'s also with a carbon prop and truturn spinner he had a wood prop and no spinner. So really if you think about it if you add it all up todays ARFs are definatly the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.