Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

well tonight i returned to assembling my new (replacment) plane and i have run into a snag. all the movable control surfaces have 6-hole duel control horn pre-drilled in them but i have 4-hole single control horn hardware like that which came with with my first plane. i am guessing they grabed the wrong  templet during construction. well i assume AW will help me out and  i wll upgrade to a duel-control horn system but i am womdering if my push-rods will stil fit? anybody else run into this situation? i do want to say that i really liked my first plane alot but the replacment seems to be even have  better construction detail. happy flying, capt
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
capt1597

i talked to mark at AW and he said to match with the inboard or top set of holes and i will be good to go. i'm happy.   looks like good flying this weekend so i need to got her done.  capt   
Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
capt1597

tonight  i put in the radio, reciever, elevater, rudder, all servos, pull pull cables, aft wheel, main landing gear(reinforced internally with west system epoxy and popcycle sticks such that i now use 1" bolts to secure) and am pleased with the results. i fly off grass so i alwas like to reinforce the gear for the unexpected lump or bump. i do not use wheel covers in grass-to much mantainence.  i do not use a spinner - dead  weight. i  love my saito 150 would never conceder going gas. every time i fill with fuel or get a  wiff of the plane as it flys by it takes me right back to my childhood where i  was flying my big fox35 in my u-control nobler out  behind the grade school. the 150 flys this plane hugh.  so i'll try and slip her in place tomorrow and get this bird finished. my first one flew  great so i am hoping this repacment  will be as good.   HAPPY HOLIDAY,  GOOD FLYING, AND REMEMBER THE VETS,  capt
Old 05-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Draknkep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Capt....

Ihad the same concern about the way the holes were drilled, but when Icalled to find out what was going on, Iwas told that they use the same template for a few planes, including some larger ones that take dual control horns. I added one more hole, so that I could use four screws in each control horn.

SteveT
Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angelob, 

Did you find a new choke rod for your MLD-28?  I also broke my choke rod (where the screw goes thru) and need a new one.  I guess I'll try Cermark, but its not listed in the parts section of the manual.                       

Thanks,     Ralph White, Neoga, IL

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM
jjman11

I just listed my YAK for sale if anyone is interested, building something new.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=518464
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
angelob
My Feedback: (10)

Ralph,

No I never did find a choke or throttle rod, but admittedly I didnt look too hard. I just bought a new carb from www.greathobbies.com. Even though they are in Canada they have fast shipping and it cost me just under $60 including shipping (their website is in canadian dollars).

Angelo
Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Ralph White

Angelo,  Thanks for the reply.  I e-mailed Cermark last night.  I'll let you know how the reply.

Ralph White, Neoga, IL

Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
capt1597

today i completed the assembly of my replacement yac. all good. this bird seems to be sterdier then my first one and i like that. when i went to ballance the plane she was tail heavy so i moved the battery next to the fuel tank and it still required 1&1/2 oz to achieve 3&5/8 ballance point which i liked on my first plane. so that was different.  i did coat the engine area and the landing gear area (all forward of the ballance point. i also put on the nose cone this time for the fun of it (also forward of ballance point) but again did not go with the wheel covers. she however felt heavier then i remembered my first yac to be. we all know the mind can play tricks. so for the fun of it i got a digital scale and guess what, she came in at 11lbs 1oz.  over 1& 1/2 lbs more then the first plane. same motor, same gear, same enhancments, we all know that the weight of balsa can very alot. i am sure it will fly fine but not like her thiner sister did. this is a 15% heavier  and the only thing it can be has to be wood density. i am sure she will last forever what with as strong as she seems to be.   HAPPY FLYING, capt
Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Draknkep

Hi Capt.....

And if that was the dry weight (no fuel), and you are using the stock tank, you will add about 1.4 pounds of fuel, so even heavier all up weight. But don't fear, my electric conversion weighs 12.8 pounds ready to fly, and flies VERY well. Ihave just under 200 watts per pounds, and vertical is unlimited. Of course, Idon't fly 3D, so if you do, you may notice a difference.

SteveT
Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering getting this Yak.
Would just like to hear from those of you who already have one,
how are you liking yours? How does the quality compare with
other ARFs on the market? Do you like the way it flies?
If you had it to do over again, would you still buy this airplane?
Would appreciate any comments and advice.
Regards
JC
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
capt1597

JCINTEXAS - read the  RCU review  by mike east it is right on the money. my oppinion- great plane  backed by a first class company. happy flying capt.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
jamesrxx951

jcintexas

i don't believe that you can go wrong with this airplane. this plane does fly very well and tracks very good. it does have some wing rock to get used to but i usually kept from doing things that had the wing rock. inverted was more stable though. it does come in heavy so try to keep it light but it is also built for durability. aeroworks is a great comany with goodsupport. for 3d style flying a 18/6 prop is the best. either xoar or vess are great options. a 17/6 is good to but i had a big improvment with the 18"

Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I am considering getting this Yak.
Would just like to hear from those of you who already have one,
how are you liking yours? How does the quality compare with
other ARFs on the market? Do you like the way it flies?
If you had it to do over again, would you still buy this airplane?
Would appreciate any comments and advice.
Regards
JC
I've had mine since August '07. The best airplane I've owned so far bar none!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
capt1597

maidened the plane and it flys great. not one click of trim needed.vertical was slower but still unlimited. i will be having some fun with this plane.the tracking was fabulas, just smooth as silk. it is a little heaveier than before but so is my wife. next winter i'll but put both of them on a diet and see what happens.i am sure i will have better luck with the yac. for now it is summer time here in the great lakes region so i will be playing outside  till the snow flys.   HAPPY FLYING, capt
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: capt1597

it is a little heaveier than before but so is my wife. next winter i'll but put both of them on a diet and see what happens.
Ouch! Make sure she doesn't read that one.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Jimeni

I guess if I compared my wife to this Yak, would I have to sell her too?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
jamesrxx951

as long as she don't make you "yak" you will be just fine
Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 PM
capt1597

the process has now begun starting with the easy stuff. nose cone removed and a dubro spinner prop nut in its place with a savings of 2oz. i want to palance this bird at  3 & 5/8" ( just my preference) and i am still just  slightly forward of this. tomorrow i am ordering a  vess prop so to save weight from my  apc . the real chalenge will be getting some weight out of the stearn. i  have the tail feathers from my crashed plane to open up to consider the posibilities. happy flying , capt
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
RC Pile It
My Feedback: (6)

Hey all, I am new to this forum, but have been flying my Yak for about 3 months. I first flew it with a YS120, and at 6000ft, it was a little doggy(limited vert.), pulled it off, and went to a SPE26, about the same....I am now gonna try a differant spe26, as I feel the first one had some issues. Upon my last landing(this past Sun.)..., smooth glide, to a nice flare, and the gear falls off! Now I have never had what I would consider a really hard landing, but I did notice that my wheels had broken(prior), so I don't know if they just didn't want to rotate at that very point, but I was a little disappointed to find that my gear block was thin solid wood, not ply. I replaced the split pieces with 1/4" ply, and floated some epoxy mixed with microballoons, from the topside. I might advise others to take a look, and add a little sumpin-sumpin from the top side to transfer stress a little bit. It isn't a bad design, but the epoxy/balloon combo adds a bunch of strength, and little weight. Any other recomendations would be appreciated! Otherwise, I really like the plane. As already noted(By others), it does have some coupling, but I don't mix flying styles, so this one is my li'l imac practice, and is mixed as such. Good Flying!!! Have Fun!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
capt1597

ralph white, have you had a chance to fly your plane yet?   r.c. i to reinforced the inside of the landing gear area. when my first plane bit the dust the reinforcement was one of the few areas that stayed intact so i repeted the prosess this time around.  as far as the flying it is the best 90-120 plane that i have found. happy flying , capt
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Ralph White

Capt 1597,  I plan to fly it this week-end.  All I have left to do is paint the cowl and iron down the seams on the ultra-coat covering.  I've been a little lazy lately about posting any pictures in my build thread.  I'll be posting the finished pictures as soon as I get the cowl painted.
I broke the choke rod in two on the MLD -28.  I'll be posting how I repaired it later tonight if I get time.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Frankie and all of you who responded to my questions about this airplane.
Here's another question. Would the MARK 1.35 glow engine be a good powerplant for the AW Yak?
Regards
JC
Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM
jamesrxx951

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Thanks Frankie and all of you who responded to my questions about this airplane.
Here's another question. Would the MARK 1.35 glow engine be a good powerplant for the AW Yak?
Regards
JC
if it is stronger than a os120 i would have to think that it would work out just fine. what sized prop can it swing and at what rpm. i have a mld 28 and it swings a 18/6 @8200 rpm and it is awsome. i had a saito 150 swinging a 17/6 vess over 8k ibeleive it been awhileand it was great also. so ifit can swing a large prop it should be ok
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
HoverLoW

Guys, Iam totaly lost on my Yak control horn assembly.

Mine didn't came as the others Yaks I,ve seen around here. It doesn't macthes with the manual too.

Looking to the manual, the pictures shows thatthe flying surfaces has 4 holes for each control horn, but mine has 6 holes separeted by two groups of three holes. At first, I was thinking this should be for using double control horns, but mine kit has come with just 6 horns (2 for ailerons, 2 for elevators and 2 for rudder). So now I havea doubt about it. If I choose one group of holes,one hole is missing,because the control horn claims 4 holes each. Ok, I can do the other hole.Butwillmy planehave thatugly group of pre-drilledholes remained after all?
I'm sending a diagram about what is happening attached.

Could anybody tell me what's going on?

Another question: This QB thing is really cool, but prior to good looking, there is no gap between the fixed and movable surfaces and so my servos are doing a hard work to get 43 degrees of deflection. Is this a good 3D aircraft?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67552.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1216342  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.