Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Rod Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

Congrats Smarks,

I see you went with the tail servo also. I wanted to know what Duralite batteries your using? lipo\limang? How big 1500, 2200? I also see your using a Dcup, with the Duralites delivering 20c I would think the Dcup is not needed, but maybe your not running duals?

Let me know.... Greg
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Hey guys,
I've got a question about the DA85 throttle setup, that I'd like to ask you all.
I was wondering how many of you are hooking up the pushrod to the throttle with a 2-56 ball link, and how many of you are hooking up the throttle with a 4-40 ball link???
Is that what you guys are using? (regular Rocket City or Dubro styled ball links with the black nylon slipped over the brass ball with hole drilled in it?????)

OR

Are you guys using the other type of ball links, where you have the spherical brass ball "post", where the clear plastic nylon part slips over the brass ball?

I have noticed that even a 2-56 Rocket City type ball link is VERY tight fit, and only allows the throttle servo to be mounted in one specific location.
Not a big deal, but I just wanted to see how everyone else hooked up their throttle pushrod?????
I cannot even find a Nelson Hobbies 2-56 ball link, part # RCL77B.
Anyone know where I can find one??? Nelson does not have any in stock right now....I would prefer the Nelson 2-56 ball link, instead of the Dubro one.....
Prolink with 4-40 ball links that came with the bird. Works great, but I did have to dremel a little off the engine mount because the ball link would hit it at full throttle.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: bleesweb

Joe,

What size pro links did you use for the extra? I would like to use them all around and on the rudder in the tail. Also what size Vess prop are you using on the DA-85?
Prolink lengths:

Rudder: 4.5"
Elevators: 2.5"
Ailerons: 3"
Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

Congrats Smarks,

I see you went with the tail servo also. I wanted to know what Duralite batteries your using? lipo\limang? How big 1500, 2200? I also see your using a Dcup, with the Duralites delivering 20c I would think the Dcup is not needed, but maybe your not running duals?

Let me know.... Greg
Thanks Greg! Yes, servo in the tail. Using dual Duralite LiMn Hi current Rx batts 2200mah. Yes, the D-Cup is probably not needed, but I put it in anyway. I don't think you can ever have too much redundancy, if it doesn't add much weight of course!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
gregman50

Smarks- What servo are you using in the tail on the rudder? Nice looking plane, this may be my next plane, I have two AW planes I have the 50cc Yak and the 75cc Yak but just may spring for the 260.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Rod Bender

Thanks Greg! Yes, servo in the tail. Using dual Duralite LiMn Hi current Rx batts 2200mah.

Ya, timing is everything. I talked to Jack at Duralite this past week, and those 2200LiMn....... On backorder till early April. I'm tempted to go with dual 1500's, but I know I'm gonna have days where 5 flights is not going to be enough, and would like the 2200...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: gregman50

Smarks- What servo are you using in the tail on the rudder? Nice looking plane, this may be my next plane, I have two AW planes I have the 50cc Yak and the 75cc Yak but just may spring for the 260.
Thanks gregman! I am running 8711's all around. I have the 75cc Yak as well. Love it.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM
smarks

Ya, timing is everything. I talked to Jack at Duralite this past week, and those 2200LiMn....... On backorder till early April. I'm tempted to go with dual 1500's, but I know I'm gonna have days where 5 flights is not going to be enough, and would like the 2200...
Backorder, I hate that word! [] The 1500's would work fine if you don't mind charging at the field on a long day. They are lighter and cheaper!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: smarks

Thanks gregman! I am running 8711's all around. I have the 75cc Yak as well. Love it.

Smarks,
Are you running a DA85 on the Yak as well?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM
smarks

No, I had the Yak before the 85 was out. I am running a 3W75i. A great engine but not as much power as the 85.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Who here disconnected the throttle spring on the DA85 to get the load off the throttle servo?
Is this something I should do?
I'm trying to decide if I need to CUT the springs arm where it sticks through the silver and red throttle arms, OR if there is a way to get the arm loose, WITHOUT cutting it???
What did you guys do?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
smarks

I released the spring tension. All I did was take a small screw driver and managed to move it off the arm to release the tension. I didn't have to cut it. Releasing the spring tension is completely a personal choice as you will read here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6768701
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
RCFlyer736

Hey Guys! Trying to fix the tail wheel/rudder tension conflict. I bought the cobalt drill bits and still having a VERY tough time drilling into the hardened metal control arm. Any tricks or tips? Love this plane. Plenty of power. AUW of 22lbs even. DA85 oversized JTEC pitts muffler.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 PM
smarks

I drilled out the arm on two planes and didn't have much trouble. I honestly don't know what kind of drill bit I used. I bought it a while ago. The first one I did was like butter. The second one I actually broke one bit but was able to use another one I had. I don't think the bit I used was a cobalt bit. It was kind of bright silver in color. Those cobalt bits are black I think. So it must have been a titanium coated bit or something. Not positive though. If the cobalt bits won't drill it, go somewhere other than Home Depot to get a stronger, harder bit. My local Home Depot doesn't carry a wide selection of specialized bits. Somewhere like Ace Hardware should have them, but not positive. Lowe's may even have something. Sorry not much help! Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

MSC and other industrial supply houses have quality cobalt bits. Most cobalt bits are NOT black, but some are. Black colored drill bits don't classify their type, but rather their coatings generally speaking.
I would like to ask WHAT exactly are you guys trying to do, by drilling out the rudder control horns on this plane??? You are referring to the 4 control horn halves that screw into the rudder, correct? What is the purpose behind drilling them out?
The best solution for a tailwheel setup is an RC Blimp titanium haigh style tailwheel.
Also, regardless of WHICH tailwheel you use, the Aerobatic Concepts Tailwheel springs and hookup wires are simply a necessity on ANY plane, IMO...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
RCFlyer736

Paul, we are talking about the mod Joe hunt posted on 11/27/2007 earlier in this thread. The goal of the mod was to relieve the tension placed on the rudder servo by the stock tailwheel setup. In flight, the rudder has to overcome the spring tension of the tailwheel. Joe's mod equals no extra load on the rudder servo and even more positve tailwheel control.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 AM
smarks

Paul - Check these out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6654875

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6670767

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6671105

It works great. I don't even use springs on the second one I did. It provides excellent ground handling, tight turning radius and puts no extra load on the rudder servo in the air.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 AM
Rod Bender

I purchased the entire CF package for this plane. Have not even opened that box as of yet. It looks to be that Smarks is using the stock one and Joe is using the CF one, is the geometry different between the two?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 AM
smarks

I purchased the entire CF package for this plane. Have not even opened that box as of yet. It looks to be that Smarks is using the stock one and Joe is using the CF one, is the geometry different between the two?
That pic is on my Yak. I have a Pete Models CF tailwheel on my Extra. As long as the control arm and tiller arm are the same width and the control arm is in the hinge line, the geometry will always be right.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Joe Hunt
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: smarks

As long as the control arm and tiller arm are the same width and the control arm is in the hinge line, the geometry will always be right.
Exactly.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
dptp9lf

Hi All...
I have mine ready to go other than radio set-up. Although I'm not new to setting up large airplanes, I am new to things like flight modes and extreme throws. I realize there are about as many set-ups as there are pilots but I need general rule to thumb for setting up for IMAC and 3D. My thought is to set the mechanical throws for 3D then dial the ATV's back for desired throws for IMAC. Would this screw up my resolution on the servos? I'm using JR 9303 with 9711's on all but throttle and choke.
I do mostly IMAC but want to learn more 3D stuff. Ideally, a different aircraft for each would be in order but I have no time to get another ready.
Any ideas would be great!
Lyle
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Rod Bender

Lyle,

From what I've learned in the past 2.5yrs since returning to this sport is yes, it would affect your resolution. Go with smaller servo arms to get as much travel out of your servo's as possible. After your dialed in on your CG and trim, and feel comfortable with the plane, then change your servo arms to the 3D length advised, and lower your ATV's, and gradually increase with your comfort level...... That's what I'm gonna do on this one..... Greg
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
mflander

If you are planning on flying 3D you have no choice. Besides, I know only a handful of pilots in my area that could truly "feel" the difference in resolution. The set-up you are using will give you 2048 with this set-up, which is very high.

The key is to make sure you have just enough to get your 3D throws, don't go overboard. My setup has my endpoints at over 120% on all surfaces. This will make sure you are getting the max resolution when you dial the dual rates down.

That's the key, maximum mechanical advantage. You also want to make sure that your surfaces are matched at 4 or more points. This ensures you are moving the surfaces evenly. Once you have the endpoints matched at 100% dual rates, I usually go in steps of 20% to make sure they match. So check them at 80, 60, 40, and 20 also to make sure they are the same through the entire range. If you do this, you will be good to go and will be hard pressed to set it up better.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
dptp9lf

Thanks for the great tips guys... that really helps.
Cheers
Lyle
Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: dptp9lf

Hi All...
I have mine ready to go other than radio set-up. Although I'm not new to setting up large airplanes, I am new to things like flight modes and extreme throws. I realize there are about as many set-ups as there are pilots but I need general rule to thumb for setting up for IMAC and 3D. My thought is to set the mechanical throws for 3D then dial the ATV's back for desired throws for IMAC. Would this screw up my resolution on the servos? I'm using JR 9303 with 9711's on all but throttle and choke.
I do mostly IMAC but want to learn more 3D stuff. Ideally, a different aircraft for each would be in order but I have no time to get another ready.
Any ideas would be great!
Lyle
If you follow the recommendations in the manual regarding arm length, pushrod length, control throws, etc., you will be good to go. You will be able to make any minor adjustments from there with no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.