Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Drones

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drones

What is this going to do, 30,000 of these things flying at low altitude. Private pilots will not have a chance with all these things in the air.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Drones

I looked through my 2012 FAR/AIM and saw nothing about who has the right of way concerning drones. Looks like they need to clarify. But I can almost guarantee the drone has the right of way.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 AM
beepee

I'll take that bet. No way that is going to happen.

The drone has a problem with "see and avoid." That will not, however, give them r-o-w over manned aircraft. Flat scary thought.

Bedford
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 AM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

One more thing to consider is most of these "bigger" drones will be loitering at fairly high altitude, so the only problem with these UAV's is climb and descent. Just like tethered balloons their base of operations will be marked on the sectional chart. The local departments such as fire and rescue would probably use the much smaller drones and these will be flying within the cities at low altitude. If a pilot follows altitude requirements he must fly 1000 feet above and 2000 horizontal of the highest object in a congested area.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

There have been several 'incidents' already, starting about 5 years ago when DoD began doing test hops along the southern US border. The government started out playing 'Catch me if you can' and has been irresponsible about reporting flight areas, flying without transponders, after dark, etc. The operators should be prosecuted, us citizens couldn't get away with it.

What's the big rush to implement them, I wonder? Seems like it's being pushed on us with little heed to inquiry or protests.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 PM
kentishnomad

Do you honestly need that question answered?

Eyes in the sky... militarisation of domestic security... control grid maintenance... 

People should shoot these drones down when they can, obvious tools of oppression if you ask me. This is before we get into the obvious safety issues. 

Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not for shooting anything down unless it is an emminet threat. Bad Idea...we could shoot ourselves in the foot.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kentishnomad

Do you honestly need that question answered?

Eyes in the sky... militarisation of domestic security... control grid maintenance...

People should shoot these drones down when they can, obvious tools of oppression if you ask me. This is before we get into the obvious safety issues.

So in that same logic when they started selling Hummers commercially that was an attempt to militarize our roads? When they talk about drones they are referring to A/C used as cell antennas, mobile repeaters, commercial photography, ag applicators, search and rescue, border patrol, and yes a very small minority used by local police as a cheaper alternative to helicopters. They are not talking about 30,000 predators and Reapers flying around with Hellfire missiles and mk82's.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

They are not talking about 30,000 predators and Reapers flying around with Hellfire missiles and mk82's.   
But it's a step in that direction, and nothing's on the books to stop them.  [X(]
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
robert waldo
My Feedback: (1)

I was replaced by uav's (there not drones). What they don't talk about is how often they crash. The most common thing you hear is '' I've never seen it do that before'' They are probably using some kind of BRS by now. I know for a fact that the Chi Coms are building fixed wing and rotor UAV's for anybody with the money.