Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Full Scale planes, cars, helis, boats > Airplanes - Full Scale
 airplane mechanic was sucked into a plane's jet engine >

airplane mechanic was sucked into a plane's jet engine

Community
Search
Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

airplane mechanic was sucked into a plane's jet engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: airplane mechanic was sucked into a plane's jet engine

I can remember seeing Navy mechanics adjusting the fuel controller on a F9F-8 by crawling down the intake with the engine at full power. That was frightening to say the least. The engine did not have the suck of a modern jet being a centrifugal compressor and the intakes were in the wing root area.

Having flown for the airlines for many years I can remember starting the engines at the gate numerous times. The B720 did not have an APU and it took an air cart to provide the air to start the engines and an electrical power cart. Starting all 4 at the gate was common practice however , we could start one at the gate and use the air from that engine to start the rest but the engine had to be run at a high power setting to provide enough air pressure. This required that the areas in front of and in back of the a/c be cleared for a considerable distance.

I can also recall a few times where we used a little reverse thrust to assist a tug that was unable to push us away from the gate due to snow/ice on the ramp.