Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

J3 Cub question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:05 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J3 Cub question?

What was the covering material used over the original landing gear struts? Built some semi-scale gear for my 1/6th Cub and I can't tell if it was fabric or sheet metal. Bill S.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Gollywock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J3 Cub question?

Hi Bill- Originally it was grade A cotton- Jim
Old 07-29-2006, 03:27 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

A good grade too, no doubt! Thanks, Bill
Old 07-29-2006, 03:55 PM
normgoyer

Hi, Grade A cotton, with three coats of nitrate clear, followed by several coats of aluminum for sun protection, following by 5 or 6 coats of Cub Yellow. Later versions used only nitrate dope for filling and butyrate dope for color coats. Restored Cubs use mostly Ceconite but still many use the nitrate and butyrate dope, some use two part Polyurethane. Dopes look better on cubs. Norm
Old 07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Norm, I'm surprised you didn't mention Poly Fiber. It's still the leading covering material for restorations today. On a sixth scale Cub, I doubt you can tell fabric from metal.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 AM
normgoyer

Hi Chip, I sort of gave a generic answer to the question. Hope you are doing well. Have you retired yet from the airlines?. I turned 80 last week and finally retired. Not really, still writing for McGraw Hill and others. Nice hearing from you again. Still love that Kingfisher you had on display years ago. Norm
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Congtatulations on the big 80! I had no idea. Can't see you retiring with such a fun job. Thanks for the kudos on the Kingfisher, I still have it!

About the gear struts, some guys put a stitch in the middle of the strut to prevent drumming so you may see some with a "dollar patch" in the middle of the strut. Most guys cover that strut with "Heavy" fabric as opposed to the middle weight fabric just as a little insurance against damage.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 AM
normgoyer

Hi Chip, and some guys who fly in the boonies with tundra tires don't cover the gear triangles so they can inspect for damage and or corrosion. I am currently flying three different size electric Cubs and one 1/4 scale gas Super Cub, still love my Cubs. Norm
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Hello, I helped restore a 1947 J-3 and I solo'd in it on 1983. It was a high grade tear resistant cotton with dope and Cub Yellow Semi Gloss Lacquer Paint, in some cases today they use high grade Enamel. The J-3 was and still is one of my favorite planes I've flown and helped recover. I miss my flying days... just can't afford it anymore. The Cub is a good work horse. Somewhere there's a video of me flying at a Airshow in Duanesburg NY out there from 1982... with my instructer Bill Simmons. I miss him a lot as well, If he's still alive he was a very good hearted man. []

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II #56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
normgoyer

Hi, Back in the early 1970s I owned a small airport just about 5 miles west of Duanesburg NY in Delanson on top of the hill. I reactivated the airport with the FAA and named it Goyer Airport. I had a Cub based there owned by Ronnie Hawes (not awfully sure I remembered the last name) He also had a C-170. there was a Funk based there as well as my Cessna 195. I still fly a Cub that belongs to a friend of mine. I am heading out the door in few minutes to fly two large electric Cub R/C aircraft. Norm

I now live in tne desert where I can fly every day of the year....no more ice and snow for tis kid