Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Cessna CBI

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
redfox435cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna CBI

OK I've been flying models since 95 and consider myself an decent pilot. Anyway with all the money I've thrown at model I started thinking why not at least learn to fly the real stuff, so I am and have about 4 hours behind the stick now. To the point I'm looking for a place to get the Cessna CBI private pilot training package and really can't find it for under 320 bucks. The company I'm getting my flight training from wants 359. Is this what I should expect for it and just shut up and get it or does someone know were I can get one for less
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
LowFlyBye

Default RE: Cessna CBI

Cessna CBI? Not sure what you are referring to...best I can remember I only had the POH for the 172 and the PVT pilot book when i got my license. You should not have to purchase any special Cessna stuff that I remember.

-Low
Old 09-17-2006, 07:10 AM
APIA

CBI is computer based instruction, This new fangled flight instruction these days is computer based. The ground school portion is mostly computer generated and with this comes the expense of buying the flight training kit that includes the books and everything included for this. This is a Cessna generated thing... Some flight schools even have full motion flight simulators.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
redfox435cat

That's it. I guess I just assummed many people would know what this was. Anyway the instructor has us go through this course as we go through the flight training. after a flight we would go through this cesnna class then then go over things on the simulator. Kinda of a brain dead way to go through the motions if you ask me but it seems to be working. Sounds like since it's just that newso I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it. There is nothing about them on ebay all the flight schools want about the same for it.

[link=http://learntofly.com/cessna/cbi.chtml]cessna cbi[/link]
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 AM
LowFlyBye

Hmmmm, looks like they have just created a self study / add more ground school charges course to benefit the flight school. I guess if it saves you enough time with your CFI based on his hourly fee then it might worth it. What do they use to teach with if you train in a Piper aircraft? I would be tempted to find a CFI that teaches the old fashion way since I am more of a hands on / ask questions learner, but I guess the new computer method has it's place as well. If this is the only option for you then I would look into getting the course with a buddy and split the cost.

-Low
Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the gleim private pilot test guide. Use it to study for the written. I teach with Jepps private pilot manual, the FARs and the PTS along with the planes handbook. You don't need a lot of other stuff. The vid course is nice, but a waste of money in my opinion unless you can borrow it from someone that has it. You don't need to spend $300 on it. I have taught so many without it. Gleim works best from what I have found. Feel free to ask questions if you have them and we can help you out so you can pass the test easy.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:21 PM
redfox435cat

Yep, it's ploy for the trainning company. It seem this is a full on Cessna program and the companys offering it have mainly cessna aircraft, I think the company I'm going with, Aviation Unlimited out of Santa Maria even got rid of the piper charekee they used to have. Now just have a couple 152's and couple 172's
I'll look into the gemini program.
It seem their trianing rate were resonable for the area. 79 an hour for the 152 and 129 for the 172's.
Sanata barbara wanted like 300 an hour. ouch
Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch, that hurts. Its $50 for a 152 and $85 for a brand new 172 here. Instruction is another $25 an hour.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 PM
redfox435cat

sounds about the same then. thats all included with an hour on the ground before hand

Since we've seem to have deviated from the original topic to actual training. In what time frame is considered normal for getting a private ticket. 1-2 lessons a month. once a week. 2-3 times a week.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 AM
APIA

If you can afford it, the more often the better. Usually from what I have seen the norm is twice a week.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:36 AM
jjglennon

I think the bottom line is this: It takes most people about 60 hours of flight time to earn their private ticket. The ground training should make the flight training time more efficient, at the very least, and CBI and sim time could/should reduce the amount of flying time necessary to earn the ticket because a cockpit is not a very good place to learn. So, if a student pilot can reduce his flight hours and therefore dollars and earn his ticket with at least as much knowledge as he could without the CBI course, then it's a good thing (on the surface). I temper this whole discussion with the firm belief that experience can be gained only in the airplane and student pilots are woefully short of experience.

Ideally, a student could use CBI/sim time to reduce his flight time and total time to get his license, then be ultra-conservative until he gains experience. But I know that in real life it doesn't always work out that way.

My $.02
John