Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Older and getting back into it

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older and getting back into it

I earned my PPL at 22 years old and have 200 hours, but took a long long long break.
Over 10 years without going to the airport or ever seeing a plane. At 34 years old now, I am getting feelings of time wasted when I should of been flying all this time, I never got into a career or anything, just renting from the local airport.

I want to spend the rest of my life flying and plan on starting back up flying as much as possible to make up time wasted.
The thing is I do not have the money for rentals for the amount of hours I want to achieve. I'm not happy with flying 1 hour on the weekends, I want more...a lot more.

Most get their PPL and get into a pilot career, but I never did and never felt confident enough to fly commercially or professionally.

Anyone else here a little older that think about getting into some sort of career to fly? so they can get hours?.
I would think most would turn me away, because I have limited hours and I'm "a little older" Who would let a 30 something with only 200 hours in a 172 fly their plane?

Every day that goes by that I am not flying is really starting to worry me now.. I don't want to waste any more time.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 PM
normgoyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Older and getting back into it

Unfortunately flying is very expensive now along with the insurance. 34 years old is very young, 200 hours is not bad. Suggest you pass your medical, take a Flight Review and the check pilot will tell you where you need to refresh and will get you back legal again, then you look at the many alternatives available to you. You cannot get into flying for cheap, look for a group of guys with a small club or buy a ski mask and visit the Bank of America, but that is not the recommended method of getting flying money. Norm