Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

*Airtronics RD8000 2.4 GHz*

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Lynner532

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Airtronics RD8000 2.4 GHz*

My brother has been flying Airtronics since getting into the hobby a few years ago.

I bought the RDS8000 in February. Used on a KAOS so far and building some new planes.

Then my brother bought one.

Now I've got an RD8000 (CH60) on order to replace my Futaba 6EXA (more channels, same programming)...

I think I'm a convert
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM
APAudVid

Happy 4th of July
Any word on this Hobby People Sale????
At the web site I see no sale, and I'm going to voice mail on the phone number.....
It's 2:30pm EST on the 4th....
I'd hate to think some carny on this thread was just out to get some attention!
If anyone knows the story, please reply back
AP
Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 PM
MikeGreenshields

That sale is a Hobby People retail store only special. For our other dealers we've planned a slightly different promotion that I can't make public yet but will be available on the HP website and through various Airtronics dealers nationwide very soon. Mid-month or so.

If you can't wait, you might put the rds8000 in the shopping cart and then look at the shopping cart at HP.net there's usually a shipping rewards discount that is favorable as well. but it doesn't show in the price on the gallery page.

Sorry I have to be so mystic but I the exact details of the national promotion I can't publish just yet...

Mike
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM
APAudVid

WOW!!! THANKS MIKE!!!!
I'm really glad you chimed in! I really thought today was going to be the day! It seems like I was waiting like a kid at Christmas!!! OK, ok... I can still hold out..... And by the way, thanks for the heads up.... And I also thought it was worth mentioning that even at 229 it's a great deal.... But when you hear you can get it for 60 bucks off that,,, well thats like giving someone an added smile for years to come!!!
When you are ready to, please keep us updated, so we can all get in on that mid-month sale!

Thanks again Mike!
AP
Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM
RTice
My Feedback: (9)

If you are looking for a good deal on a RDS8000, this is it. TX, TWO rx's, and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

No, I am not affiliated.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: RTice

If you are looking for a good deal on a RDS8000, this is it. TX, TWO rx's, and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

No, I am not affiliated.
That ad says only one receiver.

Ken
Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 PM
RTice

Read down aways...and in the title. As always, check a person's feedback, etc before bidding/buying.
Rob

"AIRTRONICS RDS8000 2.4GHz/FREE SECOND RECEIVER "LOOK"

""""""""""""""""PLEASE READ""""""""""""""" SPECIAL FOR JULY ONLY!!!!!!! USE THE BUY IT NOW AND GET A FREE SECOND RECIEVER AND FREE SHIPPING!!!!! THATS A $95.00 VALUE!!! So Buy now and get one before they are gone!!!!Shipped after the 10th of july!!!

FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!! In the lower 48 only!! International buyers will have to pay all shipping but still get the FREE RECEIVER! Check or money orders. PayPal OK. I also take credit cards over the phone and is preferred. Please check out my other items for more GREAT DEALS!!!! From Bob's Hobby Barn! Thanks and good luck!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ken
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 AM
jetpilotrich

Hey Mike,

I am still wondering what is the resolution of the RDS8000? There was even a review of the radio in the AMA magazine that indicated that the resolution was "unknown"?

Is it operating in 1024 or 2048?

Thanks

Rich
Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never head from anyone either on using Y-harnesses with an amplifier. Spektrum is warning against these. I am wondering if it is something inherent with Spread Spectrum or just a Spektrum issue? I have not idea why they would be a problem

bob
Old 07-06-2008, 01:00 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Bob,
I have a 120 size pattern plane I am flying with a JR Y harness & amplifier with my new Airtronics 2.4... Absolutely solid as a rock.

maustin
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
BelAirBob

I flew mine a few weeks with the amplified Y with no problem either, but just curious what the technical reason is and if it effects the Spektrum only. Always fun to learn

Thanks

bob
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I have been using my new RDS8000 for about a month or so and and it's great but I have noticed that the base of the antenna on the TX is getting really weak when turned in the flying position (perpendicular to the ground) or turned to the side when I put it in my case. It just doen't seem like the antenna is going to make it for the long haul. The manual says that the antenna is delicate. Does anyone else have this issue ? Can anything be done to tighen it up ?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
maustin

I've been flying mine pretty steady for about a month also. The antenna swivel moment is still fairly tight when moving into the stowed position. I've taken the back off my tranny to tighten spring tension on the sticks but did not notice if the antenna can be tightened or not. It's easy to remove the back and antenna module, might be worth a look see.

maustin
Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: maustin

I've been flying mine pretty steady for about a month also. The antenna swivel moment is still fairly tight when moving into the stowed position. I've taken the back off my tranny to tighten spring tension on the sticks but did not notice if the antenna can be tightened or not. It's easy to remove the back and antenna module, might be worth a look see.

maustin
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is killing me. I have a nice brand new RDS8000. I have it in a foam plane. The radio was $229.99, the motor gear box was $70.00, ESC was $54.00, battery was $48.00, servos were $45.00, carbon fiber tubes were $25.00, wheels were $3.50, and the cost of the foam was $3.00. It just does not seem right to put all of this money in the gear for a plane that cost 3 bucks. The best radio I have is in my CHEAPEST plane.

I think I should be using a $35.00 ESKY radio in a plane this cheap. I am working on a Giles 202 for the RDS8000, That is a more fitting plane for this radio.

Dru.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
zertsman

my first rx went in a FIK glider conversion.. it's still in it. and i can fly it with others not worrying about the frequency board. that's all there is too it. since all 2.4 radios are not compatable, i don't think they will ever be as cheap as 72 or 27mhz stuff.. but i will no longer worry that my radio on my 30 dollar plane will shoot down the guy that flies really nice wwii birds. he is a nice fella and i don't think he would be a jerk, but it would really upset me to shoot his plane down sharing a channel. this is the best 2.4 for the buck and as soon as they have some smaller CHEAPER recievers i will have them in all my planes.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
maustin

Interesting range tests with my new Airtronics 2.4 in a 2 meter pattern plane with lots of carbon fiber parts – Since I love this radio and have had good results in my 120 size balsa test plane I figured it was time to put it in my backup 2 meter pattern plane for testing. This plane has a fiberglass/carbon mat sandwich fuse with a full carbon fiber belly pan which houses the alum pipe. So we have a lot of carbon issues to deal with here and a good test of the 2.4 receiver installation procedures. I installed the receiver antennas as follows for test #1 – one antenna run vertical into the canopy area and one 90 degrees longitudinal along the fuse side. Stepped off 35 paces and in range check mode, plane sitting on the ground, we have solid results while rotated 360 degrees. Next I did a vertical test with the plane resting on the nose and rotated 360 in the vertical plane, everything was solid at 35 paces until the bottom of the plane faced me. At that point everything went gittery and had loss of most control. This was expected since the bottom of the plane is carbon and houses an alum tuned pipe. Next, I reoriented the antenna which was running along the fuse side to a position out horizontal into the foam wing. So now we have one vertical into the canopy and one running out 90 degrees into the foam wing panel. Retested range at 35 paces and could not find a dead spot in the setup !! Everything was solid in all aspects of orientation with the installation.
Conclusion – 2.4 requires more planning and testing before flying. Any plane with carbon fiber or large metal objects like tuned pipes need some close attention to installation and above all test your setup before flying. These are not official tests sanctioned by anyone, just my personal test to see what the actual limitations of antenna orientation are on a 2.4 setup in and around large carbon fiber material objects. Will hopefully test fly this weekend.
maustin
Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
MaineBear

Interesting observation about your antenna's base, Zippi. Did you mean the antenna doesn't remain positioned properly/correctly while flying (e.g. droops down, doesn't stay put, etc)? Is there something that can be tightened to ensure it stays positioned properly (although I wouldn't think something like that should be necessary)?

I'm about to jump on the 2.4 bandwagon and have been considering the RDS8000 (vs. Secktrum or JR), but now, like you, am wondering just how durable the RDS TX will be in the long run. From all I've read the RDS8000 is an excellent system, and is priced right. I currently fly JR8103 on 6m and 72mhz, but am looking for more piece of mind (interference-wise) as the planes I now fly are mostly large detailed scale planes (along with some some electrics, of course ).

Dick
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Zippi

MaineBear,

Yes, the antenna is flopping around everywhere. I pulled the back off and there is nothing to tighten up. The antenna slides down from the outside into a hole and it just kind of snaps in place. One side of the plastic snap broke off so I am dead in the water. I bought it from Tower Hobbies and I called them and they said I have to deal with Airtronics (Global Hobbies) directly. I called the phone number she gave me and talked to a fellow and told him my problem and he said they don't have any extra antenna's and I might try and fix it myself. He said if I send it in all they can do is see if they have any parts on a radio that had been sent back. I told him the antenna seems pretty fragile when you put it down for storage in a case or move it in the up position for flying and this guy told me and I quote "Your not suppose to bend the antenna around the handle or move it at all". The guy made me feel like I broke it on purpose. I'm not sure if I even want to send it in or not. Has anyone fixed their antenna that has broke on them and what did you do?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
bruce88123

You don't want it fixed You should get it replaced, if it is the radios fault, IMO. If you think you mis-treated it then that's a different matter.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
MikeGreenshields

The person you talked to in service is wrong. They have misunderstood the situation with radio parts. I've already forwarded your post to them and corrected them on their error. We can warranty the radio and/or send you a new antenna. It is no problem.

I do not have parts listed on the website yet because they are in short supply until I get my next shipment. Maybe that was the confusion. And no, we don't think you broke it on purpose.

In our experience all 2.4GHz antennas are a little fragile, but so were 72MHz antennas. And we actually thought we'd sell a lot of antennas for our car radio because it is on the back and car guys are hard on the radios usually, but even in this case we haven't sold more than a handful.

Anyway, I apologize for whoever screwed up and made you feel like we wouldn't help you. If you PM me with your address, I'll be happy to send another antenna.

Sorry for the hassle. My customer service team is overall a great group of people but they are not perfect (who is?)

Mike
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

You don't want it fixed You should get it replaced, if it is the radios fault, IMO. If you think you mis-treated it then that's a different matter.
I have only used this TX about 10 to 15 times and I always keep my TX in a case. The plastic just looks to weak to last to long. As far as the customer service at Global Hobbies, they acted like they didn't even want me to send the TX in. Tomorrow I'm going to call TH back and see if they will replace the TX since Global Hobbies says they doesn't have any replacement parts.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Zippi

I have only used this TX about 10 to 15 times and I always keep my TX in a case. The plastic just looks to weak to last to long. As far as the customer service at Global Hobbies, they acted like they didn't even want me to send the TX in. Tomorrow I'm going to call TH back and see if they will replace the TX since Global Hobbies says they doesn't have any replacement parts.
Sounds like Mike has given you a great response as I expected. Work with him on this.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Sounds like Mike has given you a great response as I expected. Work with him on this.
Indeed he has, problem solved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.