Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA after Hobbico's Takeover of ACE RC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA after Hobbico's Takeover of ACE RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA after Hobbico's Takeover of ACE RC

"Foam is balsa!" - Soylent Grain
Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
tinner1

Hi Arbo,

Try "Lonestar" in Texas. They had a fire but from what I've read they are back up and running. They HAD good stuff before the fire. I haven't ordered since then to say for sure now. They have "select wood" that costs a little more but is supposed to be best quality according to their web page.

This is interesting about "balsa", balsa is actually classified as a "hard wood".

A great example of an exception to the rule is balsa wood. Balsa is one of the lightest, least dense woods there is, but it is considered a hardwood.

Hardwood and softwood differences actually have to do with plant reproduction. All trees reproduce by producing seeds, but seed structures vary. Hardwood trees are angiosperms, plants that produce seeds with some sort of covering. This might be a fruit, such as an apple, or a hard shell, such as an acorn or hickory nut.

Softwoods, on the other hand, are gymnosperms (conifers) with "naked" seed. These plants have seeds that fall to the ground with no covering. Pines, firs and spruces, which grow seeds in cones, fall into this category. In conifers, seeds are released into the wind once they mature. This spreads the plant's seed over a wide area.

Typically, angiosperms lose their leaves during cold weather while gymnosperms trees keep their leaves all year round. So, you can say evergreens are softwoods and deciduous trees are hardwoods.
Sorry, This was a reply to Arbo NOT dbcisco.......
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Makes no sense at all to tie the two together. They have nothing to do with each other. But, using the ratationale of the thread topic linking the AMA to ACE, we can then tie AMA to the recession, school grades, teenage pregnancy, baseball games, mail delivery on Sunday, the price of gas, tidal waves, moon phases, how much floride each city puts in drinking water, global warming, the extinction of dinosaurs, the change in seasons ...........
You certainly have many airplanes, however I question your perceptions.

When I went to Tower's (Hobbico) web site and noticed that the Thundertiger Pro 40 was priced at $149.99 I could not believe it. In the current Tower Talk it was $89.99, prices being advertised as good until Oct.31, 2010.
Shortly later the web priced reverted to 99.99. So I called in and Tower would not honor the Twr. Talk price. Still I bought a couple before the price goes back to the OS prices. [:@]

Well here came the engines. In the box were cards with Postage Paid Card for subscriptions to Model Airplane News at a free copy and 2-yr. subscription at 79% off retail. Also Backyard Flyer at 67% off for a year's subscription and one free issue.

Why hasn't the great Hobbico Advisor to AMA's Marketing Committee suggested that AMA/MA get into the game? Tell folks what AMA is everytime they buy something. Why hasn't the AMA EVP been really looking into his committee and their activities which may assist or deflate AMA?

Anyone that thinks advisors to any Board-Member are just there for fun and recreation is seriously wanting in reality perception. [sm=47_47.gif]
Horace,

Take a look at any aircraft produced by Hobbico/GreatPlanes etc. They ALL have AMA information in them, typically on page 3 of the manual.

Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Makes no sense at all to tie the two together. They have nothing to do with each other. But, using the ratationale of the thread topic linking the AMA to ACE, we can then tie AMA to the recession, school grades, teenage pregnancy, baseball games, mail delivery on Sunday, the price of gas, tidal waves, moon phases, how much floride each city puts in drinking water, global warming, the extinction of dinosaurs, the change in seasons ...........
You certainly have many airplanes, however I question your perceptions.

When I went to Tower's (Hobbico) web site and noticed that the Thundertiger Pro 40 was priced at $149.99 I could not believe it. In the current Tower Talk it was $89.99, prices being advertised as good until Oct.31, 2010.
Shortly later the web priced reverted to 99.99. So I called in and Tower would not honor the Twr. Talk price. Still I bought a couple before the price goes back to the OS prices. [:@]

Well here came the engines. In the box were cards with Postage Paid Card for subscriptions to Model Airplane News at a free copy and 2-yr. subscription at 79% off retail. Also Backyard Flyer at 67% off for a year's subscription and one free issue.

Why hasn't the great Hobbico Advisor to AMA's Marketing Committee suggested that AMA/MA get into the game? Tell folks what AMA is everytime they buy something. Why hasn't the AMA EVP been really looking into his committee and their activities which may assist or deflate AMA?

Anyone that thinks advisors to any Board-Member are just there for fun and recreation is seriously wanting in reality perception. [sm=47_47.gif]
Horace,

Take a look at any aircraft produced by Hobbico/GreatPlanes etc. They ALL have AMA information in them, typically on page 3 of the manual.

Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
Hmmm...So Hoss is right...there is a connection between AMA and Hobbico.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM
BoeingFlyer

Comment on Chinese products;  As an avid R/C modeler, I have to say that everything I've bought (made in China) has been nothing but top quality, well built and reasonably priced.  Their ARFs are excellent, and less expensive than building from a kit, the engines are good (for the price), and where do you think most radio systems/servos, etc. are made?  The "name brands" you're paying top dollar for are made in the same factory as the inexpensive no-name brands.  Tower Hobbies, Hanger 9, etc., have fancy catalogs and advertising, but you can get the same stuff from HobbyPartz.com or HobbyKing.com for half the price.  Hmmm.....