Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Vote? who cares who holds the office?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Vote? who cares who holds the office?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vote? who cares who holds the office?

Let’s call it correctly. Most of us join the AMA only for the insurance. Call it correct, I would say less than 1% of the AMA membership use the AMA site. Call it correct, Us in Missouri have shown we don't need a VP. Call it correct, The venders that make a money from us buying RC product will lobby for the RC group. Like the AMA has more pull than the venders. Get real.

So really, it matters not who is there. Don't get me wrong, most love RC, Mark Smith is a perfect person to be there. I remember flying with him at Taylor MO years ago. That guy loves RC. So bottom line, if the AMA would get rid of its insurance, who would join? I would say under 5% of the membership they have today.

I love to fly, I love to build "ARFs", I build kits where there are no ARFs of the plane I really, really want. Mostly I love to fly. I really don't get AMA this and AMA that. I really don't get the hate of 3D flying at clubs. I really don't get the fun of FF or string flying but I know there are that do and that great. I don't get clubs that have problems with each other due to we come together over the love of RC. I guess I just thank God for placing me here in central Missouri in a club the gets along. Flys all types of planes. Understand the AMA insurance is required and that’s all there is to it.

So, who really cares who gets into the office of the AMA. I guess if they spin it some will accept it as fact. I will have to say the spin stops here.

Crash99

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Vote? who cares who holds the office?

actually voting, just gives a tad more authority to whatever *****ing you may do about the AMA.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

It obvious that you care very little about anything, but your own little world. That may be OK for you. But there are those that do care about larger issues. They also contribute to more than their own little world. The AMA would not exist if everyone were like you, and you would not enjoy the benefits that you have now. You should be thankful that not everyone shares your myopic point of view.

Vince
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: crash99

Let’s call it correctly. Most of us join the AMA only for the insurance. Call it correct, I would say less than 1% of the AMA membership use the AMA site. Call it correct, Us in Missouri have shown we don't need a VP. Call it correct, The venders that make a money from us buying RC product will lobby for the RC group. Like the AMA has more pull than the venders. Get real.

So really, it matters not who is there. Don't get me wrong, most love RC, Mark Smith is a perfect person to be there. I remember flying with him at Taylor MO years ago. That guy loves RC. So bottom line, if the AMA would get rid of its insurance, who would join? I would say under 5% of the membership they have today.

I love to fly, I love to build ''ARFs'', I build kits where there are no ARFs of the plane I really, really want. Mostly I love to fly. I really don't get AMA this and AMA that. I really don't get the hate of 3D flying at clubs. I really don't get the fun of FF or string flying but I know there are that do and that great. I don't get clubs that have problems with each other due to we come together over the love of RC. I guess I just thank God for placing me here in central Missouri in a club the gets along. Flys all types of planes. Understand the AMA insurance is required and that’s all there is to it.

So, who really cares who gets into the office of the AMA. I guess if they spin it some will accept it as fact. I will have to say the spin stops here.

Crash99

And without the AMA to watch for your interests how long do you think it will take the FAA, Homeland Security, EPA, Fish and Wildlife Services etc. and probably several other behind the scene agencies we don't even know about, to declare radio control a hazard to the security of our country, aviation, the environment and endangered species? Think just how many bureaucrats could be added to the government payrolls to enforce their edicts. You might be in Missouri but you will be found.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Lnewqban

Who cares who likes flying model airplanes (or dangerous-stupid-annoying toy airplanes, like most of the non-fliers like to call them)?

Currently, the United States alone has a total resident population of 312,265,000; which makes it the third most populous country in the world.

What percentage of those citizens would take "to get offended" by our toys and to send their lawyers to crush our flying spaces?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
crash99

Wow, I am shocked that really you guys think venders like Hanger 9 and so on would allow anything to happen to the hobby? They have a ton of money invested. How can you think the AMA is giving us benefits like protecting us from the fAA? The AMA is not investing their money in the lobby effert, Its our money they are spending.

Is all about the pull, if the AMA would stop spending resources, then the concept you are dreaming up is all the venders would not increase their lobby? O, you don't really think the AMA is the only lobby for our hobby do you? Think about it.

The benefits of the AMA? like what benefits is the AMA and only the AMA giving us. meaning all of us. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti AMA, I just see it for what it is.

"care very little about anything" you must be smart to come up with that one. I care about alot. Not like you I care about right and wrong, I am not so simple in taking everything as fact. I look at what I am told and decide if it sounds right. There are so many people that got sold Change, Yes we can. Look at us now. He gave us change. I am glad I was not part so simple thinking to accept this as fact.

I know, thinking for your self is bad, Taking everything as fact is good. The venders that sell RC is protecting us, not just the AMA. Just when I thought some of the people here had the power to reason.

Crash99

Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Oberst
Banned

I care, but it always seems that the best people for the job don't run or aren't on the ballot. Kind of like what is going on with the Republican Party. I like Dave Mathewson and I'm personal friends with him. I doubt there will be anyone who could exactly fill his shoes as President, and I don't care for anyone who is running for that position now. That's because I really don't know much about them. JMHO

Pete
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
crash99

I am sure Dave is a great guy but, it will not affect us one way or the other. The lobby from venders like hanger 9 have millions of their dollars at stake. The AMA is spending our money not theirs on the lobby group. Unless you are a simple person and take whatever they tell you as fact, you will see the AMA is not the people protecting the FAA.

I guess with the new today that a guy with jets were going to damage the pentagon. I bet you will see the sky is falling, the sky is falling talk. Right, That will not affect the hobby at all. Yes the big venders will spend money to smooth this over.

Before saying you don’t care about X and if it wasn’t for people in your club doing X. Well I am the CD for our club. I take care of all the events for the year to include school events and so on. See I just don’t fall to the idea the AMA is the reason we all can enjoy the hobby. No true. I enjoy the hobby due to venders that sell products at a cost I can afford. A great group of guys that all get along, I see too much hate in the clubs posted in the threads.

Is the AMA a bad thing …. No Is there good people in the AMA …. Yes. Look at Mark Smith, Look, people here in Missouri have been flying for a long time without a VP, Well I know there is a VP that clams to be over Missouri but never steps foot in the state. He is like a virtual VP.

Crash99
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The District VI VP is a regular competitor in contests in Missouri.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: crash99

I am sure Dave is a great guy but, it will not affect us one way or the other. The lobby from venders like hanger 9 have millions of their dollars at stake. The AMA is spending our money not theirs on the lobby group. Unless you are a simple person and take whatever they tell you as fact, you will see the AMA is not the people protecting the FAA.

I guess with the new today that a guy with jets were going to damage the pentagon. I bet you will see the sky is falling, the sky is falling talk. Right, That will not affect the hobby at all. Yes the big venders will spend money to smooth this over.

Before saying you don’t care about X and if it wasn’t for people in your club doing X. Well I am the CD for our club. I take care of all the events for the year to include school events and so on. See I just don’t fall to the idea the AMA is the reason we all can enjoy the hobby. No true. I enjoy the hobby due to venders that sell products at a cost I can afford. A great group of guys that all get along, I see too much hate in the clubs posted in the threads.

Is the AMA a bad thing …. No Is there good people in the AMA …. Yes. Look at Mark Smith, Look, people here in Missouri have been flying for a long time without a VP, Well I know there is a VP that clams to be over Missouri but never steps foot in the state. He is like a virtual VP.

Crash99

I tend to agree with some of what you wrote. However, the AMA did question the dependability of the new 2.4 radios to the lobbists quietly, now they are working on the replacement. I really don't care what they do with my money after I paid my dues, as long as I'm protected. The AMA IS protecting this hobby from the FAA mandating new rules towards this hobby. There has been many open forums and town hall debates involving the AMA and FAA.

I was informed that the AMA is on it when it came to our recent issue with the planned attack with the RC Jets. Matter in fact they are so busy, Dave Mathewson hasn't written me back yet.

Pete
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 AM
HunkaJunk

I usually don't know enough about any of the candidates to make a proper decision. 
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

I usually don't know enough about any of the candidates to make a proper decision.
For anyone who says they do not adequately know the current Candidates for election, then do both Yourself and the AMA membership a good deed. Simply go study what they have done within the AMA as previous EC members and/or paid positions.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...zation/ec.aspx

IMO the slate does leave a lot to be desired yet that is NOT changeable at this time. However if you go to the Executive Council on the AMA web, then study for at least 3 years back the EC meetings and minutes, you will have a better understanding of what they DID or Did NOT, and how they think. Are they for the organization, for the membership, including promotion of the hobby-sport, or just for their own longevity for free rides to the big shows? Decide for yourself, vote for your opinion of the best and forget the excuses.

The exception is Neuberger. He has a super "pedigree" yet, will he voice his learned opinion when he should? Will he go with the EC yes-sir yes-sir types ,or will he use his immense background to stand up and be counted when the overall membership is on the hook?

I'm voting Rice and Neuberger. Not because of personal liking or dislike, but because, IMO, they will best serve the AMA's membership at this time, more so than the other choices.

Right now I think we need to consider the future of the AMA membership. So far, historically, the CL and FF guys (I am one) have virtually elected the officers because they vote. Keep it going like they do.

ITEM amended
Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

For anyone that says they do not adequately know the current Candidates for election, then do both Yourself and the AMA membership a good deed - simply get off your lazy behinders and go study what they have done within the AMA as other EC members and/or paid positions.
Go take a long walk off short bridge, I am not lazy, yesterday was my birthday I got up at 5 AM (that is sleeping in), worked all day until my birthday dinner. same today without the birthday dinner, tomorrow is back to the grind stone. I wanted to go fly today but I had too much stuff to do that was far more important.

Now that I've spent five or so minutes on the computer, it's off to do laundry and all that fun domestic stuff.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Are they for the organization, the membership, or just their own longetivity for free rides to the big shows? Decide for yourself, vote and forget the excuses.
Didn't see the promotion of the hobby as one of the alternatives...but we should be accustom to that by now I guess........................
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hossfly

Good Point, LCS.

I guess my feeble mind just considered that if they were there for the organization, and/or for the membership that would include the promotion of the hobby. I shall study and try better. []
Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 AM
koastrc

Feeble Mind? You are a lot of things. Feeble Mind is not one of them!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Hoss said:

Right now I think we need to consider the future of the AMA membership. So far, historically, the CL and FF guys (I am one) have virtually elected the officers because they vote. Keep it going like they do.

CL and FF make up about 5% of the membership. I doubt very much if this statement is true!

Paul
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

average voter turnout for AMA is between 9-11 per cent.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Jim Thomerson

So the 5% who are FF or CL, and all vote are the controlling block.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Sure they will!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

Sure they will!
RCPaul, there were 78,553 Open (voting) AMA members for 2011, close out on or about Sep. 2011, vice 80,723 Open for 2010 voters. 5% equals 3927 voters. That is a significant number when in the past, the voting total is in the vicinity of 10-12%. Lets say 12% total voted. 9426 voted. 5%, (3927) (41% of the total voters) could well be a majority when spread among 3 candidates. 3 x 40% = 120% which significantly exceeds the standard 100%.
The CL/FF guys may argue RPM, line length, and such as engine run times (FF) but when they come to aeromodeling, their hearts are in just that, aeromodeling.

So IMO, it would be nice if the RC folks all joined in and helped make our Academy of Model Aeronautics an organization that serves its members more so than just the staff. While I truly desire that AMA be a great place to work and all our staff be treated as well as can be, I use that staff term/example because I do have a letter admonishing me for staff mistreatment, which I absolutely deny, but the letter states that "....we (AMA EC) will always protect the staff over (implied YOU) ..." [>:]

Horrace D. Cain

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " Ben Franklin
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Silent-AV8R

You assume that 100% of the CL/FF guys cast votes. Is that a reasonable assumption?

BTW, my ballot got here Saturday and is in the mail today. No secret who I voted for - Hanson/Neuberger
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

You assume that 100% of the CL/FF guys cast votes. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Plausible since they represent the extremes of the spectrum in model aviation. Control line guys like to maintain close and tight control while free flight guys are more free spirited... LOL