Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Some in FAA will probably use this.... >

Some in FAA will probably use this....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Some in FAA will probably use this....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some in FAA will probably use this....

Or people from Kalifornia
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: corch

The AMA needs to get on the news, yesterday (which they did not) so the time is NOW. These so-called ''experts'' that the networks are trouncing out are not helping one bit. If all the AMA does is publish a statement later today, that is ''weak sauce'' a full 24 hours after the news. AMA, get out there; protect and defend the hobby!!

I go this yesterday after sending an email to Rich Hanson:

Hi Bill,

Yes...

We received information regarding this issue earlier today. We have been
able to obtain copies of the complaint affidavit and the DOJ Press Release
and are currently reviewing the facts related to this situation.

AMA has activated its Crisis Response Plan and is currently fielding
inquiries from the media and the membership. Our Public Relations department
is also preparing a press release and position statement which should be
posted on the AMA webpage shortly.

AMA will be monitoring this story closely as it unfolds and will make every
effort to clarify the information and ensure the public is made aware that
this is not a hobby related incident and was not instigated by a member of
the modeling community.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Rich Hanson
It came in at 4:45 pm PDT. The AMA is on it. But I am sure we will have 50 threads of people unhappy about what they do, how they do it, how fast they do it, and on and on.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (71)

Tell me Silent-AV8R, have you actually read the FBI brief or are you going by the attorney general's asinine statement? Profiling may not be politically correct but as repugnant as you may find it, the vast majority of jihadists WILL resemble him.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 AM

It is not so much what terrorists can plan and execute; it is how we react to those plans and acts, which are intended to create fear among non-combatants (civilians).

One thing is to protect our people by foreseeing how these evil acts can be achieved; a very different thing is to fall into a collective panic (terror) each time a plot is uncovered.

To those so scared of model airplanes, just think of the capability of trucks, big combustible and chemical storage's, trains, nuclear plants and ships to do significant damage to the civil population.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Just about fell out of my chair when I read this "AMA has activated its Crisis Response Plan"... I think we really are in deep due do... I thought our safety code prohibited use of C-4 in a model

I don't know about you guys but the FBI could have never spooled me up to break the SC as they did with this imbecile...

If I were heading up this initiative with the FBI I'd let this "plan" go to the point we could simply shoot/kill all the goofballs involved...Yep, save our country the cost of prosecution and the expense of room and board for the rest of their useless life...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (10)

A couple of points; many of us see the guy's plans as flawed, the guy probably didn't have any RC Flying experience to fly the planes to start with or to fly them successfully, especially Jets; the planes probably wouldn't have been able to carry much explosives to do significant damage; we all agree that this guy doesn't represent our sport in any manner.

However, all this doesn't matter, because the Public, the Media and the Government will not see it the way we do; the perception now will be that RC planes are now going to be threat, and added to that when you consider other idiots like the guy that was flying his plane around the Statue of Liberty or Brooklyn Bridge will only show our sport in a negative manner.

And for you people who see no use in the AMA, this crap will demonstrate why we need the AMA to lobby on our behalf to protect our sport and educate the masses that we our not a threat.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 AM
My Feedback: (6)

When I was on my way to work this morning, I caught pieces of a news report on the radio about how someone (let's say a duck) from Massachusetts was experimenting strapping explosives on remote controlled model airplanes (how ignorant for the reporter to use that term in the first place). I though, OH CRAP!, that's all we need now and/or, is this another public scare tactic from our friendly paranoid government? This was the first I heard of this.

After I had gotten to work, one of my flying buddies called me and told me that he had seen the report on TV in the morning news... The problem with the report, he said that they were using a cheapo foamy ducted fan park flyer jet plane for their demonstration in the report. Did anyone else see that too? If I was a reporter (I'm glad I'm not scum) that had any knowledge about the hobby and a brain, I would have demonstrated a much larger plane that could do real damage; maybe even a “youtube” crash of a turbine. Besides, I was led to believe that it was the little cameras we could put on our planes that was causing all this hysteria...

If nobody reacts to this soon we will definitely lose this hobby forever and you will have no one to blame but yourselves. I knew and have warned everyone this would happen and everyone ignored it. Don’t only rely on AMA to do your bidding. Shame on you for not sticking up for your rights and allowing the main stream media to make these false claims. People, there is a song that Green Day wrote about things like this; you need to listen to it!!!

I just went to post this and I see that this has already caused a big deal and therefore, I am now convinced that the FAA must be behind this.

I haven't posted in a long time but this just cranked me.... NUFF said, and I really don’t care one bit on how anyone reacts to this RANT…
[:@]

Fixed a type "o"
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: corch

The AMA needs to get on the news, yesterday (which they did not) so the time is NOW. These so-called ''experts'' that the networks are trouncing out are not helping one bit. If all the AMA does is publish a statement later today, that is ''weak sauce'' a full 24 hours after the news. AMA, get out there; protect and defend the hobby!!

I go this yesterday after sending an email to Rich Hanson:

Hi Bill,

Yes...

We received information regarding this issue earlier today. We have been
able to obtain copies of the complaint affidavit and the DOJ Press Release
and are currently reviewing the facts related to this situation.

AMA has activated its Crisis Response Plan and is currently fielding
inquiries from the media and the membership. Our Public Relations department
is also preparing a press release and position statement which should be
posted on the AMA webpage shortly.

AMA will be monitoring this story closely as it unfolds and will make every
effort to clarify the information and ensure the public is made aware that
this is not a hobby related incident and was not instigated by a member of
the modeling community.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Rich Hanson
It came in at 4:45 pm PDT. The AMA is on it. But I am sure we will have 50 threads of people unhappy about what they do, how they do it, how fast they do it, and on and on.
It is not good enough to be "monitoring the story." They have not made the public aware. In all the major networks, cable networks, and online news outlets I have looked at does NOT have one quote from the AMA. I'm sure if the AMA would have called, the networks would have made arrangements to interview them through an affiliate office in Indianapolis.

I normally do not comment on the AMA RA threads because 99.99% is just that, RA. However, this is the first issue for me, where I think the AMA failed.

<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I agree, the AMA needs make itself known, and now would be nice, just watched FOX news, the story line they are passing off is while they are showing the Jet Models, that are easily worth a few Thousand each, and making the statement that these toys can be purchased on-line for $200. In short, they are making it seem that any Abdul or Hassim from Camel Hump Middle East can just go online, get a plane for $200, strap on some C4 and fly it into the Pentagon, like it's that easy.

It would be nice if they got the relevant facts correct, and the AMA could do a lot to dispell the mis-information, get Dave on the TV and present the facts.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the perfect PR opportunity for the AMA to contact the news agencies as the "world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and SAFEGUARDING of modeling activities". Emphasis added on purpose.

As pointed out in several posts, the media is relatively uninformed about our hobby and the state of model aviation across the US. The AMA is our world-class association that has the opportunity to call these media outlets and inform them on the state of model aviation and its historical safety record. Believe it or not, most of the media are looking for people/organizations to bring enlightenment to major news stories they are reporting about. I really believe that the AMA will miss a large opportunity to tell the model aviation story if they simply sit on the sidelines of this story...particularly if it goes beyond being reported for more than a day or two and then disappears.

< Message edited by tevans55 9/29/2011 3:01 AM >

"This scheme did not emanate from within the modeling community. This was not a aeromodeling enthusiasts. This was a terrorist bent on improvising a weapon of war from legitimate technology for his own horrific purposes."

Does anyone know if this is the extent of the AMA response? Is there more that I am not aware of?

This is a great opportunity to "EDUCATE" the world about model aviation and "SAFEGUARDING" modeling activities. Now is an opportunity to "PROMOTE" the history and safety of our hobby. Sitting and waiting for the phone to ring is not public relations. I'm not talking just about reacting to a poorly planned attack using a model airplane...I am talking about the "EDUCATION" of the media/public about the great things that the model aviation hobby affords to thousands of modelers and the communities they live in. It's time to reread the AMA Mission Statement.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM

If the ama doesn't do or say something, its because they are either to lazy, or afraid it'll cost them some money.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Here's the weak sauce: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...log.aspx#92911

This is what happens in the 24 hours since Silent Av8tor (spelling is wrong, sorry) emailed AMA.

<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
My Feedback: (36)

$200 on Ebay..hmm It had to have been a foam jet. You can't even get the landing gear and brakes for a turbine anything for $200. You can't even buy the wood kit for a Turbinator for that. Then at best he may only have 8-10 minutes of fuel in a real turbine. So where was he going to put the C-4 in a F-86? Not to mention the GPS and onboard FPV type equipment.
Okay, worst case scenario: If he was able to shoe horn it all in..he would have needed the dry lake bed at Edwards to get it off the ground.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

No matter what WE know about planes/price an such, the general public as a whole are idiots about it. They just think they are another rc toy.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is kind of funny how the FBI has been playing this guy for quite a while and now pulls the trigger to arrest him. They have been sitting on him for quite a while.

Could it be that the new FAA rules were not going to agree with what the TSA/FBI and all the other alphabet's wanted, so they decided NOW was the time to bring this clown to the public's eye?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM

this all shows the we, Us modelers, need to be aware of whats going on around us.

sure, people can learn to fly on there own but. was this guy ever a club member? was he AMA at one time, just to get somebody to teach him to fly?? most clubs will require AMA even to train.

and I am going to be totaly NON PC but.... it goes back to profiling and how this guy could have acted. I would be so leary if a person that fit that racial profile came to our club and wanted to learn to fly. I would have to really have to make sure he was doing it for the right reasons. most R/C pilots like planes and know alot about planes. if somebody showed up and wanted to laern to fly but didnt know anything about planes, I would be cautous. also about the previus poster about, "how far will it go" " how much could it carry" etc..... if we see anybody hanging around our clubs that fit those descriptions, I would surely say something to somebody. that would be our duty

just my .02
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Latest from the AMA:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/RCPlot.aspx
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my rather insignificant opinion, I don't think the news media will remember this incident next week. I don't think either government or FAA will remember it either. The FBI now has another, "Look at us, we saved the world." Just another incident to add to "That GUY" in the Whitehouse searching for news media spots, as evidence that he is really into the "War on Terror".

However I do believe the words from FAA are already sealed away until they decide to open their Pandora's Box later in the year or about, maybe next year. I suspect that from things now happening, that FAA is not the only one that knows exactly what the so-called NPRM contains re; model aviation.

I predict that all RC flying outside the defined "Park Fliers" will have to belong to the Community Based Organization, (CBO), which will be AMA. Either the CBO's regular rules, or on their own, the FAA Rules which will be mucht stricter and demanding.

Now AMA has some 140,000 members. In comparison RCU has over 465,000 members, almost 3.3 times AMA. If AMA membership should increase just to RCU numbers, then AMA gets over 3 times the monies pouring in for the next year. What a jump in spending capability!!! Edited to add: 3 times more money and NO DUES INCREASE! [8D]

I predict that using the RCU number is small stuff as compared to the real number of RCers in the USA. I'm thinking there must be a million or more. It takes a bunch to support all the mags and the advertising therin.

So for once I don't worry about this specific incident, as far as AMA and/or aeromodeling is concerned.

OH Yes, I read the AMA's output!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
My Feedback: (71)

Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you. Paranoia and luck just might keep you alive in some circumstances.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 PM

"Never let a disaster go to waste."

Gee, I wonder how long it will take before the Federal Government realizes there's money to be made with the "registration" of our model airplanes.

Line up and get your FFL. "Federal Flying License."

Will size and power be everything?

Let's see, OK, the Jet guys, turbine powered, your privilege to fly that model will only be $1000.00 per year. Oh, you have more than one? OK, then $1K times whatever ya got.

That park flyer, $50.00.

It'll add up and the Feds can find all of us listed with the AMA, who is tied in with the FAA.

Great hidden Tax, and now is the time for the Feds to jump on it. An opportunity not to be wasted.

Who thinks I'm wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
My Feedback: (61)

The point is that FAA has already made up their minds on how to regulate/control our hobby . this this is only ammunition for their already loaded gun. It might come down to proving how much you want to keep your hobby by how deep you are willing to dig into your pockets for a lawsuit against the system. no money , no hobby plain and simple. so you can micro analyze what happened , why it happened and what will happen . things will only change if you love your hobby enough to fight for it. otherwise , we are finished.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM

The other point is that the FAA is not concerned with security. Not their department as it were!! They have said exactly this on several occasions. Their mission is aviation safety and airspace, not homeland security.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM

This incident amounts to absolutely nothing. Everyone in law enforcement knows this.

However, and as I said, it's a great opportunity to put forth a regulation program that involves, registration and licensing.

Just another tax. Nothing more
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

This incident amounts to absolutely nothing. Everyone in law enforcement knows this.

However, and as I said, it's a great opportunity to put forth a regulation program that involves, registration and licensing.

Just another tax. Nothing more
how can you say that?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the same way.. Now they have what they need to ground us..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.