Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

More AMA hypocrisy

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

More AMA hypocrisy

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default More AMA hypocrisy

Received the new issue of Model Aviation today. In the first few pages was Mark Smith's column calling for efforts to get more youth involved. Some time back, I had posted that Smith's efforts were instrumental in shutting down almost all of the AMA Airshow teams. I spent many years on just such a team, and we encountered thousands of kids. My team alone, in the 200 mile radius around Kansas City was in front of over 120,00 spectators in 2006. When approached, Smith would not move on his position to shut down most all the teams. Said they were not cost effective. (The AMA required us to hand out their brochures. I don't know what the brochures cost, but I am sure is was well shy of the cost of a dozen 50cc planes, vans, trucks, gas, meals, and motel rooms we paid for out of pocket). We did the effort out of love for the hobby.

Now Smith, running the AMA but not elected into the job, is calling for YOU and ME to fix a problem that HE worsened. We loved hearing the kids ooh and ahh when a low pass as completed. We talked to them, handed the kids a transmitter on a trainer cord and let them try it out, and set up simulators let them touch our planes. He brought and end to all those efforts and now he wants the AMA membership to do something about getting Youth involved.........

Very distateful and a glaring hypocrisy.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More AMA hypocrisy

Well, you're probably going to be pleased that he won't be running the AMA next year.................at least not as prexy or any other elected position.   Don't be too surprised if AMA creates yet another paid executive position, though...........say Marketing Manager, for example.   The genius behind the Park Pilot Program would be a natural, wouldn't you think?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Well, you're probably going to be pleased that he won't be running the AMA next year.................at least not as prexy or any other elected position. Don't be too surprised if AMA creates yet another paid executive position, though...........say Marketing Manager, for example. The genius behind the Park Pilot Program would be a natural, wouldn't you think?
Hey, cj-r, you just showed me up. By gar even I never thought of that! DRATS! He has been chairman of AMA's "Marketing Committee" for years which consists of the CEOs of Great Planes, Horizon, and I think Hobby People. If AMA doesn't provide a job I'm sure his buddies will. Will he then still be the appointed one to lead that group of "competitors?"

Excellent call there CJ.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
cj_rumley

LOL!

Hey, thanks Hoss. If I ever again get up as early Idid this AM, I might get the jump on you before another decade elapses.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Received the new issue of Model Aviation today. In the first few pages was Mark Smith's column calling for efforts to get more youth involved. Some time back, I had posted that Smith's efforts were instrumental in shutting down almost all of the AMA Airshow teams. I spent many years on just such a team, and we encountered thousands of kids. My team alone, in the 200 mile radius around Kansas City was in front of over 120,00 spectators in 2006. When approached, Smith would not move on his position to shut down most all the teams. Said they were not cost effective. (The AMA required us to hand out their brochures. I don't know what the brochures cost, but I am sure is was well shy of the cost of a dozen 50cc planes, vans, trucks, gas, meals, and motel rooms we paid for out of pocket). We did the effort out of love for the hobby.

Now Smith, running the AMA but not elected into the job, is calling for YOU and ME to fix a problem that HE worsened. We loved hearing the kids ooh and ahh when a low pass as completed. We talked to them, handed the kids a transmitter on a trainer cord and let them try it out, and set up simulators let them touch our planes. He brought and end to all those efforts and now he wants the AMA membership to do something about getting Youth involved.........

Very distateful and a glaring hypocrisy.
First of all, you and your peeps are to commended for your effort to promote aeromodeling.

Now, just a question that popped in to my mind and it is asked with all due respect. If the AMA did little more than provide brochures, and you guys footed the bill for the rest, how has their (the AMA) kept you from doing the shows?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Lifer

Without AMA sanction, there is no liability coverage for the shows. Our individual coverages might, or might not apply, and our Homeowners wouldn't cover the liability. As a result, personal assets could be at risk. By being an "AMA Airshow Team" more doors are open. Essentially, all but a few of the teams became person non grata and we couldn't set up the appearances. We were told that we could buy coverage on a per-event basis, but that was more out-of-pocket and I think, the straw that broke the camels back.

There are a few teams left, but most of them have corporate sponsorships and are thusly funded. Those teams are travelling advertisments for the major players in the hobby like JR, Futaba, etcetera. We, and most of the teams were a group of dedicated volunteers that really busted our humps to put on a good show and promote the hobby and had no desire to be corporate shills.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen, and been involved with lots of exhibition flying at shows, and it never required an additional waiver. I would think your AMA coverage, as long as you are abiding by the safety rules, and rules set forth by the body conducting the air show, would cover you r actions. If you are not acting under the rules, I would think you would have nothing to worry about.
I am sure there is much more to this story than just trying to cut back on additional insurance, or trying to steal the delight from children.
If in fact you wanted to do demonstration flying as part of a team, there is no reason, that I have seen from the AMA, that you cannot do this. And there is no real reason that it should require additional funding or paperwork from the AMA.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
bradpaul

So the AMA does nothing to promote youth and education in model aviation??????????????

Tell that to the NAA

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...erAMAfinal.pdf

NAA Announces Academy of Model Aeronautics as Recipient of 2011 Brewer Trophy for Aviation Education

NAA Announces Academy of Model Aeronautics as Recipient of 2011 Brewer Trophy for Aviation Education
Arlington, Virginia, September 13, 2011 –

The National Aeronautic Association (NAA) announced today that the Academy of Model Aeronautics will receive the prestigious Frank G. Brewer Trophy for Aviation Education “For exemplary accomplishment and collaborative work with numerous aerospace organizations across the nation to assist students, teachers and community leaders in understanding the science, skill and beauty of flight.â€

The Brewer Trophy is presented annually for significant contributions of enduring value to aerospace education in the United States.

Jonathan Gaffney, President and CEO of the National Aeronautic Association and Chairman of the Selection Committee, said “I was very pleased with the quality of nominations we received for the Brewer Trophy, and I am particularly proud that the Academy of Model Aeronautics was named as the recipient for 2011. For 75 years they have maintained a focus on aviation education which has impacted millions of young people across the United States, and the Brewer Trophy is a great acknowledgment of their dedication and commitment to this very important cause.â€

The Academy of Model Aeronautics has enabled tens of thousands of teachers, community leaders, and millions of students in formal and non-formal education settings to build and fly miniature aircraft. In addition, AMA Education Committee members and volunteers have worked to support flying events for more than 150,000 students in regional, state and national competitions for the Science Olympiad and the Technology Student Association. AMA also has given more than $800,000 in scholarship awards to promote education in science, technology, engineering and math to college-bound seniors who, almost exclusively, pursue careers in engineering, technical and professional disciplines.

In support of the No Child Left Behind Education Act, the AMA education staff and Committee volunteers created new activities for teachers consisting of hands-on lessons using simple flying machines to illustrate basic concepts in math and the physical sciences. To support this work, the Alcoa Foundation awarded three grants of more than $250,000 resulting in the creation of AeroLab, a dozen activities for middle school physical science and math classes. For many years, the AMA has featured these and other educational activities in workshops at regional and national science teacher conferences (NSTA).

Last year, the Academy signed a formal agreement with the Civil Air Patrol as well as the Experimental Aircraft Association to complement their Young Eagles program. Similar agreements are pending or under discussion with the FAA, the Soaring Society of America, the Boy Scouts of America, 4-H, Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum, and the Commemorative Air Force.

Members of the Brewer Trophy Selection Committee

Frank G. Brewer III, President, Brewer Trophy Aviation Education Association Dr. Klaus Dannenberg, AIAA Deputy Executive Director and Chief Strategy Officer Carolyn William, Executive Director, University Aviation Association Dan Montplaisir, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Debbie Gallaway
The award will be presented at the NAA Fall Awards Banquet on Monday, November 7 at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia. For more information, please visit www.naa.aero.

The National Aeronautic Association is a non-profit, membership organization devoted to fostering America's aerospace leadership and promoting public understanding of the importance of aviation and space flight to the United States.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Lifer

Mr. Paul,

For the record, I did not say the AMA does nothing to promote the hobby to Youth. Second, the Airshow Teams were a grassroots effort, and the collective numbers were in the hundreds of thousands, per year. Smith was deceptive in his statements, and was involved in a personal vendetta against the teams because he was, at one point, an Airshow team captain. He was removed from that position after about 6 months by his team because he did a very poor job. As soon as he acquired the power to do so, he began his efforts to shut down the program.

My opposition is, and remains against any person who uses their authority to carry out a vendetta. He was originally elected to a position and was supposed to represent his constituents. Instead, he carried on with his own agenda. This is not the type of person that should be in a position of authority with the AMA. Now he has been appointed to a position of authority. Nobody voted for him to be in the position he is in. A deal was made.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Mr. Paul,

For the record, I have been a Leader Member since 1987.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
bradpaul

Then why the argumentative thread title if your issue was with a certain person and not the AMA in general?

Brad
Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Lifer

I believe it was Smith's photo and his hypocritical article in the front of the AMA's magazine that sparked it off!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Lifer,
I read that article just now,, I don't see how you tie these two things together,, I have no idea why the AMA pulled their endorsement/sponsorship of your Air Show Team, I doubt the motivation was to shun Kids. The article touches on realities that can be addressed at the Club Level. Whether it makes a big impact or not is unpredictable,, but every little bit helps. The article at least is food for thought for each club to consider what they can do as a club to help kids get and stay interested.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Lifer

scale only,

The story goes back over 5 years of time. Your points are valid and I and the club I belong to still promote to Youth. I'm not going to pursue the issue any further because I wanted to point out the character of a man who abuses power to pursue his own agenda and the point has been made. Not the first, and likely not the last.

The AMA isn't the same organization I joined back in 1967. It has really gone downhill since it moved to Muncie, in my opinion. It seems corrupted.

Signing off.