Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

Baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
Thank you for such an intelligent, well reasoned, and articulated response.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Flexnbeef

In chimes the lead sheeple to lead us to the slaughter house..... The AMA is making sure it protects its interest so it will be needed in the future, Got nothing to do with it's members. If it cared about it's members it would have no problem giving you any info that was requested regardless of nature and provide it's services for free or on a donation basis with pro bono lawyers and staff. That way all you sheeple can give your money to them so they can build monuments to themselves in Muncie. Tell me what the real insurance cost is and i will pay that cost. All the smoke and mirrors tactics stink of deception...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

Thank you. I think I now have a pretty god idea of where you are coming from.

I'm curious. Have you ever actually been to Muncie? Monuments? Really?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
AugerDawger

If you can demonstrate valid homeowners coverage you should get a discount.

AMAis excess/ subordinate to your homeowners policy.

Many flyers don't own a home or homeowner's liability insurance.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actualy many flyers that I know are home owners but there is no discount from the AMAfor having another type of insurance.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: ira d

Actualy many flyers that I know are home owners but there is no discount from the AMAfor having another type of insurance.
AMAwill make your homeowners policypayout to its limitation first. It is excess insurance for the insured homeowner.

An insured homeowner is very likely to be ineligible to use AMA for claim if his home liability coverage is substatial.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I have not been and prolly never will be. same to be said for the majority of members. It's nice to know we built that fancy club tho huh?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: nute12

I have not been and prolly never will be. same to be said for the majority of members. It's nice to know we built that fancy club tho huh?

Given that you have never actually seen or visited the Muncie facility I think your opinions are somewhat out of whack. Having been there myself more than a few times I would be hard pressed to call it a "Monument" or even "fancy". A pretty ordinary office building, a stell building of r the museum (definitely NOT fancy) and a whole lot of open land with three runway/paved flying areas for RC and a control line circle area. A nice flying site, but not a monument or all that fancy.

Oh well. Reality I am sure has little to do with this discussion.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Flexnbeef

ORIGINAL: nute12

Given that you have never actually seen or visited the Muncie facility I think your opinions are somewhat out of whack. Having been there myself more than a few times I would be hard pressed to call it a ''Monument'' or even ''fancy''. A pretty ordinary office building, a stell building of r the museum (definitely NOT fancy) and a whole lot of open land with three runway/paved flying areas for RC and a control line circle area. A nice flying site, but not a monument or all that fancy.

Oh well. Reality I am sure has little to do with this discussion.
A true zombie for the AMA. You been drinking alot of AMA koolaid[:'(].. By the way it was a metaphor. [:-] . I suppose that we all have our names on the deed too.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe my thoughts are skewed at all. I am not anti ama..... I do think the ama is focusing all funds but what is needed to keep the membership believing it is acting in their interest , after that is settled the rest goes to muncie. Do not have much choice in the deal. need it to fly so it is what it is.
as far as monuments.... what is the museum....it is a monument to the AMA's version of what modeling is. I am done here.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Flexnbeef

All this discussion about change in the AMA is futile. It's like control line fying, Round and round and round, sure throw a loop in there once in a while but ultimately your right back where you started. Nothing is going to change in the AMA unless the AMA wants it to. We as members have sat back, payed our dues and excepted what was fed to us. The koolaid was good for a while. I guess our only option is to fly on private property until the local sheriff comes and asked for your certificate of safety proving your adhearing to the FAA safety rules that were authored by the AMA, of course it will be available from the AMA at a fee. This may sound a little far fetched to some but at the rate we are going I don't think its far off. BAAAAAHHHHH....
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
KidEpoxy

Nothing is going to change in the AMA unless the AMA wants it to.
actually, folks here have been saying for years
that KidEpoxy was the only person on the planet that thought AMA should reexamine its position of 'No Metal Blades Never Nohow Noway',
yet we see the AMA did just that and changed their No Metal Ever policy.
(of course, folks then said I wasnt the only guy, that there was ONE other guy and they did it just for him)

We also got the PaintballPDF made by refusing to be silent over it.

Sure we can change AMA,
as long as we dont just give up when folks of a different opinion tell us to give up.

Tell me what the real insurance cost is and i will pay that cost.
please read post#2 of this thread
if you want to know what the real insurance cost is
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

AMA is excess/ subordinate to your homeowners policy.

Now here is a quote that presents absolutely no comprehension as to what the AMA's Liability Insurance is about.

Liability Insurance is for the person that suffers a hurt be it bodily, or property or other. People buy extra liability insurance to protect their assets should said people
be levied payments beyond their financial reach or that reach where they may suffer less than their desired lifestyle.

That helps YOU should you injure someone or something, and the court renders you liable. It helps the harmed person to have resources to cover or help cover his injuries be they person or other.

So you have a Homeowner's policy. I have two as I have two homes, still the liability funds would be peanuts should I run a big gas-burner into your back side at some flying facility or just "somewhere". You may be bed-ridden or wheelchair the rest of your life. I definitely would be horrified that I did such to you, and you would be worse than that, especially if you had a family that depended on you to put food on the table.

Now look at this: Let's "pretend" ( I like that word "pretend" as my 5 year old granddaughter asks "PaPa" to do so every day we are together ) that I had little assets and just the day before my Home Owner's paltry $300,000.00 policy had been canceled and my home/s been foreclosed on. No money for you from my being broke so it's "Sorry Old Chap, Bye Bye!"

Would you not be a tad happier that this horrible AMA steps up and hands you 2.5 million yankee greens? It could well make your broken life easier just knowing that Mom and the kids could eat for a while, would it not?

As one that has been in this modeling game since a kid back about 1945, (age 9 then) been through some less than stellar times, and well remembers when this liability policy came in being, and how difficulty it was for AMA to find a carrier each year for many years, I think you young fellows (50 and under) even some older ones born into the silver spoon set, have so little knowledge about the real world for middle class financial. It's sad!

As a number one critic of AMA, I also support AMA when AMA is doing right. AMA is a concentration of people with different individual worlds and AMA is great. Unfortunately like the Greatest Nation Ever is GOOD, but every so often the administrators elected into office happen to be the worst possible individuals the nation could produce.

So for you folks that think a paltry $58 a year is bad to have even just for the protection it provides for both YOU and anyone you might injure, then I suggest you need to rethink just what this world really is and how well the AMA can be there to extend a long helping arm for both yOU AND your NEIGHBOR AEROMODELER..

TO FLXENBEEF: You indicate a less than stellar knowledge of CL flying. I would like to observe you pick up the handle of a CL Stunter and perform the AMA Rule Precision Aerobatic Maneuver schedule. On second thought, why waste a valuable precision constructed model aeroplane. Maybe give a FAI Combat machine a few circles, or perform a Scale Flight Plan. People that make such remarks as you do probably would never understand the crash. OH, I do KNOW: The airplane just wouldn't fly. How silly of me!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Flexnbeef

Well old timer. My My you've dissarmed me with your vast knowlege and grasp of flying styles, PLEASE !!!!! Don't you know the meaning of a metaphor? Also just because the AMA has been around for a while doesn't mean it has to continue it's exsistence, Plenty or organizations have blazed trails then gave way to newer and more efficent processes. Times are changing and we need another choice, But then again choices are something that this nation is willing to give up based on confusion and missinformation shoveled out by the powers that be.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
BobbyMcGee

And now the AMA is getting in bed with the FAA under the guise of protecting it's members. Wake up sheeple, The AMA is a giant money generating machine wanting to get a government sponsered monopoly on a hobby worth millons of dollars to them. All we are ever going to get is increased fees and excuses. I unlike others am not satified with the status quo. Hmm, 1.Start a organization, 2.Get locals to start feeder clubs to serve said organization, 3.Don't allow anyone to fly at local clubs unless they belong to the mother organization, 4. Lock up the parks with more feeder clubs, 5. Get in bed with the FAA to write a set of self serving safty rules, 6. Prevent use of rules that you write unless you join mother organization or pay a fee, 7.increse fees to pay for all the hard work you did to screw everyone in this hobby. That about sums it up.....
As much as I would hate to see this happen, this sounds very plausible. It's happened many times over with other government institutions and programs. Next thing you know, it's a total mess, andeveryone seems to forget how it happened or how it got started.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Now here is a quote that presents absolutely no comprehension as to what the AMA's Liability Insurance is about.

Liability Insurance is for the person that suffers a hurt be it bodily, or property or other. People buy extra liability insurance to protect their assets should said people
be levied payments beyond their financial reach or that reach where they may suffer less than their desired lifestyle.

That helps YOU should you injure someone or something, and the court renders you liable. It helps the harmed person to have resources to cover or help cover his injuries be they person or other.

So you have a Homeowner's policy. I have two as I have two homes, still the liability funds would be peanuts should I run a big gas-burner into your back side at some flying facility or just "somewhere". You may be bed-ridden or wheelchair the rest of your life. I definitely would be horrified that I did such to you, and you would be worse than that, especially if you had a family that depended on you to put food on the table.

Now look at this: Let's "pretend" ( I like that word "pretend" as my 5 year old granddaughter asks "PaPa" to do so every day we are together ) that I had little assets and just the day before my Home Owner's paltry $300,000.00 policy had been canceled and my home/s been foreclosed on. No money for you from my being broke so it's "Sorry Old Chap, Bye Bye!"

Don't tell me I have no comprehension then go on to bolster my very point.

Your homeowners insurance pays out first to its limits and any excess claimthe AMA kicks in.

If you have significant homownerscoverage you may never even get to use AMA.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Flexnbeef

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

So you have a Homeowner's policy. I have two as I have two homes, still the liability funds would be peanuts should I run a big gas-burner into your back side at some flying facility or just ''somewhere''. You may be bed-ridden or wheelchair the rest of your life. I definitely would be horrified that I did such to you, and you would be worse than that, especially if you had a family that depended on you to put food on the table.

Now look at this: Let's ''pretend'' ( I like that word ''pretend'' as my 5 year old granddaughter asks ''PaPa'' to do so every day we are together ) that I had little assets and just the day before my Home Owner's paltry $300,000.00 policy had been canceled and my home/s been foreclosed on. No money for you from my being broke so it's ''Sorry Old Chap, Bye Bye!''

Don't tell me I have no comprehension then go on to bolster my very point.

Your homeowners insurance pays out first to its limits and any excess claim the AMA kicks in.

If you have significant homowners coverage you may never even get to use AMA.

Hey, Don't worry. Give them some more $ and you get your name printed in the back of the magazine with all the other koolaid drinkers.. ain't that special....
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 AM
BobbyMcGee

Oh crap! It ain't long now before someone starts throwing sand or someone gets their eye poked out!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Maybe his Mom made him go back to school to learn how to spell tier? Show me any aircraft that has a spinning Ginsu knife on the front of it that is less of an insurable risk thananyother. Safe is defined as what? An airfield where every car is in an enclosed garage? Every pilot and spectator is shielded in cages to be protected from runaway aircraft? Every fueling station and lipo charging area has auto fire supression systems? Thank you AMA for allowing any and all members to pay for insurance. Even if it IS secondary, insurance is something we always appreciate when we really have to use it. It IS still American guys...you don't like AMA insurance....don't buy it. There's LOTSof corn fields out there that take you can fly planes with 60" wheels!

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Have you noticed Crash hasn't been back to defend his stance. Dennis
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Flexnbeef

Look, my basic issue with the AMA is that I had a legitimate membership issue that I took up with Membership Director Shawn Grubbs on the AMA website. After getting a form letter answer and no results I was pushed down to my district vp, Charlie Bauer who called me and by his own admission said he had no authority to address said issue and pretty much told me if I didn't like the results or answers I was getting to file a petition with the AMA and then proceeded to tell me he didn't have time to aurgue with me about it after calling me mind you. Why call me then? 1. You have no authority to deal with the issue at hand. 2. You had no intention to resolve said issue. I guess you just wanted to talk down to a measly little member. I don't think this is the kind of leadership I want to or should have to pay a fee for, A bunch of old geezers locked in an archaic and useless method of dealing with member issues, even the AMA magazine is full of outdated material and self serving articles. Hmm, sounds like the same thing that goes on in DC. So it's time for a change with other options and methods of advancing the hobby besides being told " Here it is, it's worked for us so far' Take it or leave it". Not good enough anymore. So thats where I'm coming from...........
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

Look, my basic issue with the AMA is that I had a legitimate membership issue .

Can you share what that issue was?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Didnt read the thread but last time I checked only $7 or so was allocated to the premium.  So I guess some could pay $1 and others could pay $13?  Seems like a trivial amount to me to worry about.

Besides accidents are very very few, most clubs would be on the low risk scale.

I think a better option would be to allow me to buy the insurance and skip the membership and magazine.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Flexnbeef

Yes, It was a issue with the magazine subscription. For the past few years I've renewed my membership to the AMA late in the year due to work schedual and not having time to fly, Well the magazine is supposed to come with the membership yet when you renew late you don't get the full year of the subscription. As I posted earlier I don't really care for the magazine based on it's outdated material. So The membership is $58 with Model Aviation included. Non member Subscription rate for the magazine is $36 for 12 months, That leaves $22. Now is that the actual cost of a membership without the magazine? Information that was impossible to get a straight answer on. If you renew late no matter what the circumstance is you only get the issues from the date of paid membership til end of year. So basicly your paying for something your not receiving. I wanted a direct answer to this issue but all i got was handed down to a useless individual. This may seem like a trivial issue to you AMA koolaid drinkers but do you go to the store and pay for a dozen eggs only to get home and find ten of them are empty useless shells? I want what I pay for. Either pro rate my membership like they did the first year I joined or give me the whole year subscription to the magazine or refund the difference.. Pretty simple solutions. Charlie Bauers only solution was "Renew early like everyone else and get your 12 months or don't get all you issues, Pathetic take it or leave it answer at best.. Also raised the issue of 3,6,9 month memberships for members that live in area's that don't enjoy the privilage of year round flying, I myself live in the midwest and only fly 6 or 7 months out of the year so why can't I have a choice in length of membership?. All legitimate issues that were raised and only got hostile and negative responses. I keep seeing people posting " It's only $58, well it's my $58 and your $58 and all the other members $58 and that adds up to quite a bit of $$$$.
I invested alot of money into this hobby and don't want to waste another $58 for no results policies and answers.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Silent-AV8R

So in summary you were upset because you did not get a magazine that you do not like in the first place for the period of time you were not a member? Then that morphed into being unhappy that the AMA does not offer a variety of membership lengths?

I think the AMA should perhaps publish a statement that says if you do not renew by a certain date you will not receive all 12 issues for the next year. But if you wait to renew until later in the calendar year how can you be upset you did not get the magazine for the time you were not a member?

It appears you either want a selection of different membership durations (3, 6, 9, 12 months) or perhaps feel that membership should be prorated monthly ($4.83 per month)?

And somehow you have gone from that to being irritated about the monuments AMA has built in Muncie (metaphorically speaking) to feeling that AMA is some sort of financial scam designed to make the leadership rich on the backs of the poor underserved membership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.