Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

So in summary you were upset because you did not get a magazine that you do not like in the first place for the period of time you were not a member? Then that morphed into being unhappy that the AMA does not offer a variety of membership lengths?

I think the AMA should perhaps publish a statement that says if you do not renew by a certain date you will not receive all 12 issues for the next year. But if you wait to renew until later in the calendar year how can you be upset you did not get the magazine for the time you were not a member?

It appears you either want a selection of different membership durations (3, 6, 9, 12 months) or perhaps feel that membership should be prorated monthly ($4.83 per month)?

And somehow you have gone from that to being irritated about the monuments AMA has built in Muncie (metaphorically speaking) to feeling that AMA is some sort of financial scam designed to make the leadership rich on the backs of the poor underserved membership.
My word. No...... My basic aurgument is I want what I am being charged for, I guess that's a difficult concept for a koolaid drinker to grasp..The other issues were a afterthought when the district VP called me and started speaking down to me. I want either a concrete dollar amount stating what the actuall cost is for a membership based on a breakdown of insurance cost and magazine cost. If your going to charge $36 for a magazine to a non member and offering it to members free then you are either ripping off the non member or including the cost in the membership.. So what is it? These are all answers that the AMA refuses to address.. Also I think the AMA should invest more time and money into offering these alternative choices for members and not buying buildings and property in Muncie Indiana that most members will probably never see or enjoy. Is that a tough concept for you to grasp
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Teir Membership, should safer groups pay less than higher risk groups?

Ok guys, let's cool down. This discussion is getting WAY off topic and some members are starting to get a little hot under the collar. Let's get the discussion back on the original topic and let's all cool down a bit.

Ken
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears you either want a selection of different membership durations (3, 6, 9, 12 months) or perhaps feel that membership should be prorated monthly ($4.83 per month)?
That sounds good to me. When you live in an area that you can only fly in for 8 months, why should I pay for 12? Let the Southern states pay more. They use the insurance more. Same goes with car insurance. What's the first thing they ask you when getting your car insured? Is this car for work and how many miles to and from?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

Well old timer. My My you've dissarmed me with your vast knowlege and grasp of flying styles, PLEASE !!!!! Don't you know the meaning of a metaphor? Also just because the AMA has been around for a while doesn't mean it has to continue it's exsistence, Plenty or organizations have blazed trails then gave way to newer and more efficent processes. Times are changing and we need another choice, But then again choices are something that this nation is willing to give up based on confusion and missinformation shoveled out by the powers that be.
Yep it is Old Timer for sure. Hopefully you make it there as I have. Your 4 years in aeromodeling have been good ones as you definitely have some excellent airplanes in your profile. Very Impressive.

Well before some politicians remove the remaining opportunities in this country, why don't you use all your financial knowledge and position to start that ".... we need another choice,..." you speak of? Since you know the ropes, simply just "Git 'er DONE !"

Some notes:
1. I have fought and fought for years the AMA's position of publishing a magazine that loses more money than the cost of the AMA Liability Insurance program, I have run for AMA office a number of times, being soundly beaten. (That does not include the '79-82 time period when I was elected over the incumbent and then by write-in the second time.) The membership now doesn't seem to want a fiscal conservative in their AMA. Last year I could not even get on the ballot. Then the premier candidate for President was soundly beaten by a majority of just the small percentage of the AMA members that voted.

2. The AMA membership is an annual fee. If you are a new member, and you apply in for example, July you get the rest of that year and a credit for the next year's first 6 months if you apply for renewal in the renewal time period.

3. AMA has brought up the question of YEARLY FEES several times in the past. It would be great for AMA's administration needs. It would be HORRIBLE for the Charter Clubs trying to keep records of who is and who isn't a current AMA member. So far the Charter Club Officers / membership have held the high ground.

4. There are far more items that an informed individual can address within the AMA than your kind of membership complaints. OTOH, I found a way to get by those items that you mention. Some years ago I simply became a LIFE MEMBER of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, The National Rifle Association, and the Texas State Rifle Association, but yet I still contribute to each. Yes, AMA too. That way I also can COMPLAIN, but about real things not just penny-ante items. TRY IT!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Until there is competition there will be very little change. If you don't like the options presented you will have to find someone that can give you the options you want. If there is only one game in town you have to accept their terms or do without. If enough people stop joining for the reasons mentioned they will change their ways or perish. Those that think that the AMA is going for the monopoly with the FAA should remember that bill gates lost half his fortune doing something far less innocuous and those that run the FAA are not stupid. I would welcome a new option, but they would have to have legitimate backing to be taken seriously.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
GerKonig

So in summary you were upset because you did not get a magazine that you do not like in the first place for the period of time you were not a member? Then that morphed into being unhappy that the AMA does not offer a variety of membership lengths?

I think the AMA should perhaps publish a statement that says if you do not renew by a certain date you will not receive all 12 issues for the next year. But if you wait to renew until later in the calendar year how can you be upset you did not get the magazine for the time you were not a member?

And somehow you have gone from that to being irritated about the monuments AMA has built in Muncie (metaphorically speaking) to feeling that AMA is some sort of financial scam designed to make the leadership rich on the backs of the poor underserved membership.
My word. No...... My basic aurgument is I want what I am being charged for, I guess that's a difficult concept for a koolaid drinker to grasp..The other issues were a afterthought when the district VP called me and started speaking down to me. I want either a concrete dollar amount stating what the actuall cost is for a membership based on a breakdown of insurance cost and magazine cost. If your going to charge $36 for a magazine to a non member and offering it to members free then you are either ripping off the non member or including the cost in the membership.. So what is it? These are all answers that the AMA refuses to address.. Also I think the AMA should invest more time and money into offering these alternative choices for members and not buying buildings and property in Muncie Indiana that most members will probably never see or enjoy. Is that a tough concept for you to grasp

3 words NO CAN DO. When you become a member of an organization, you buy the package. As a member of the AOPA, EEAA, AMA, and 2 professional organizations I can tell you that neither of those give you the option you request. No matter how much you keep complaining in this and other threads. This is it. You just study what an organization offers, and take it from there, no you cannot pick and choose. No you cannot be a member just for the summer month (if you live up north, for example).

Package deal, take it, or leave it. I will go fetch some crackers...

Gerry

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Flexnbeef

So If I pay for a membership in july why can't I get the entire 12 months becoming due again in july of the following year. Don't tell me it's impossible because of admin costs or logistics, Most things are done with a touch of a key on a computer. It basically comes down to the AMA not willing to offer alteratives because it would cut into the bottom line. If the AMA is truly for it's members then why can't this be a viable option. After all we already pay for it... Do something for your members and stop using the excuses " That's the way everyone else does it". We are supposed to be a members for members based organization. Lets walk the walk AMA...
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
mrbigg

So If I pay for a membership in july why can't I get the entire 12 months becoming due again in july of the following year. Don't tell me it's impossible because of admin costs or logistics, Most things are done with a touch of a key on a computer. It basically comes down to the AMA not willing to offer alteratives because it would cut into the bottom line. If the AMA is truly for it's members then why can't this be a viable option. After all we already pay for it... Do something for your members and stop using the excuses '' That's the way everyone else does it''. We are supposed to be a members for members based organization. Lets walk the walk AMA...
Just pay your 58 bucks..............[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Flexnbeef

"If you don't stand up for something you will fall for anything" BAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH, checks in the mail.......
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

My word. No...... My basic aurgument is I want what I am being charged for, I guess that's a difficult concept for a koolaid drinker to grasp.
That pretty much ends it for me. If you are unable to discuss something without resorting to insults, well, then there is nothing more we can talk about.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
GerKonig

So If I pay for a membership in july why can't I get the entire 12 months becoming due again in july of the following year. Don't tell me it's impossible because of admin costs or logistics, Most things are done with a touch of a key on a computer. It basically comes down to the AMA not willing to offer alteratives because it would cut into the bottom line. If the AMA is truly for it's members then why can't this be a viable option. After all we already pay for it... Do something for your members and stop using the excuses '' That's the way everyone else does it''. We are supposed to be a members for members based organization. Lets walk the walk AMA...
NO CAN DO. I cannot go and say to the AOPA I do not want to pay for the magazine nor for the lobbying in DC... The people that run an organization (like the AMA) will look for the best for the group, always. So, you have a package, if it works for you, you take it, if not, not. As an organization you do the best for the members, but FOR ALL the members. Really, there is no picking your favorite items, and you are not in the majority in your request. Now if you get 100K signatures (I used any number) asking for a change, maybe they study the feasibility of what is requested. But even so, they can come back and tell you: It would not be on the best interest of this organization, and say "no way in hell".

Just the way things are. In utopia, well, in utopia things are different. Remember, it is an organization of members for members, but not for one member or 10, for "all members".

Gerry

Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

NO CAN DO. I cannot go and say to the AOPA I do not want to pay for the magazine nor for the lobbying in DC... The people that run an organization (like the AMA) will look for the best for the group, always. So, you have a package, if it works for you, you take it, if not, not. As an organization you do the best for the members, but FOR ALL the members. Really, there is no picking your favorite items, and you are not in the majority in your request. Now if you get 100K signatures (I used any number) asking for a change, maybe they study the feasibility of what is requested. But even so, they can come back and tell you: It would not be on the best interest of this organization, and say ''no way in hell''.

Just the way things are. In utopia, well, in utopia things are different. Remember, it is an organization of members for members, but not for one member or 10, for ''all members''.

Gerry

There's no way the AMA is going to cut the rate. They want the $8,700,00.00 plus, they already get from the members. Why take any less? (That number was derived from the AMA's website claim of 150,000+ members. 150,000 multiplied by $58.)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Flexnbeef

My word. No...... My basic aurgument is I want what I am being charged for, I guess that's a difficult concept for a koolaid drinker to grasp.
That pretty much ends it for me. If you are unable to discuss something without resorting to insults, well, then there is nothing more we can talk about.
LOL, since when is calling someone a koolaid drinker an insult? MY, MY, Guess I hit a nerve, I'll leave the playground now before somebody gets a boo boo...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
cj_rumley

(snipped)
Just the way things are. In utopia, well, in utopia things are different. Remember, it is an organization of members for members, but not for one member or 10, for "all members".

Gerry
They seem to be having some confusion about that. In their Mission Statement they say to the public (and to the IRS , which grants them 501(c)3 favored tax status in return for providing service to the public) for "modelers," not for "all members".
Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

(snipped)
Just the way things are. In utopia, well, in utopia things are different. Remember, it is an organization of members for members, but not for one member or 10, for ''all members''.

Gerry
They seem to be having some confusion about that. In their Mission Statement they say to the public (and to the IRS , which grants them 501(c)3 favored tax status in return for providing service to the public) for ''modelers,'' not for ''all members''.
Yes, all these organizations have the same extent status. But they provide benefits to the public that happens to be members. Like the insurance, like the mag, etc. If you are a card carrying card member, you have a voice, you have a right to whatever they offer. Try to get the EEAA magazine w/o being a member (or any other benefit).

I think somebody might be having a confusion and believe that organizations are to serve all US citizens:-) Not so either. Try to get the EAA discount to get in to Oshkosh w/o being an EAA member:-)

Good luck with that!

Gerry

Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
AugerDawger

I think somebody might be having a confusion and believe that organizations are to serve all US citizens:-) Not so either. Try to get the EAA discount to get in to Oshkosh w/o being an EAA member:-)

Good luck with that!
Gerry

Tell us about access to 501(c)3 services without regard or demand forfinancial contribution or obligation.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Really, there is no picking your favorite items, and you are not in the majority in your request. Now if you get 100K signatures (I used any number) asking for a change, maybe they study the feasibility of what is requested.
I dont remember any 100k signature petition to AMA asking for the $29 Cutrate Tier to be created,
yet the discount cutrate-insurance tier was indeed created by ama

No picking favorite items?
True or False: Within existing member classes folks may choose to pay for ama without the magazine for less dues than if they choose to get the magazine?

Tiers Tiers Tiers all through out the membership classes right now.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Flexnbeef

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Really, there is no picking your favorite items, and you are not in the majority in your request. Now if you get 100K signatures (I used any number) asking for a change, maybe they study the feasibility of what is requested.
I dont remember any 100k signature petition to AMA asking for the $29 Cutrate Tier to be created,

True or False: Within existing member classes folks may choose to pay for ama without the magazine for less dues than if they choose to get the magazine?

? I don't recall that option... EDIT...TRUE
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Flexnbeef

Well , Well, Look what I found. Right here in my little AMA magazine it states that when said magazine is included with membership $18 of the dues are for the subcription NOVEMBER 2011 pg 171 bottom right paragraph. If thats the case then why don't we have the option not to choose the magazine? Same issue page 145, AMA 2012 application for membership. Only option to omit magazine subscription is available to the Park Pilot Program, Youth membership and Affiliate membership, All these at a reduced cost without magazine subscription... So whats up with the double standards and no option to omit a unwanted publication ??????.

Ok, I know I said I was leaving but this is new evidence ...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well , Well, Look what I found. Right here in my little AMA magazine it states that when said magazine is included with membership $18 of the dues are for the subcription NOVEMBER 2011 pg 171 bottom right paragraph. If thats the case then why don't we have the option not to choose the magazine? Same issue page 145, AMA 2012 application for membership. Only option to omit magazine subscription is available to the Park Pilot Program, Youth membership and Affiliate membership, All these at a reduced cost without magazine subscription... So whats up with the double standards and no option to omit a unwanted publication ??????.

I have heard it said that the AMA is required to have a newsletter for it's members and the magazine meets that requirement.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Flexnbeef

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Some notes:
1. I have fought and fought for years the AMA's position of publishing a magazine that loses more money than the cost of the AMA Liability Insurance program, I have run for AMA office a number of times, being soundly beaten. (That does not include the '79-82 time period when I was elected over the incumbent and then by write-in the second time.) The membership now doesn't seem to want a fiscal conservative in their AMA. Last year I could not even get on the ballot. Then the premier candidate for President was soundly beaten by a majority of just the small percentage of the AMA members that voted.

I find this statement hard to believe. Just thumbing thru a single 172 page issue I came up with 67 pages devoted to AMA type news or events, 37 full page adds for products not related to the AMA, 63 small adds, "under half page or less" for non AMA related products, 37 pages of informative articles, 17 pages of misc info and 16 pages devoted to events. So you have over half the magazine devoted to product advertisements and you say the magazine is running at a loss. Wow, Then I guess it would be benificial to stop the presses immdiately, or just print the 67 pages of AMA related material. If the magazine is being printed at a loss like you say then deleting 105 pages with be benificial..
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Flexnbeef

ORIGINAL: ira d

I have heard it said that the AMA is required to have a newsletter for it's members and the magazine meets that requirement.
then it should not be a omitable item to the other teirs
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ira d

then it should not be a omitable item to the other teirs

Good point Iwonder whattheir answer would be on your commit.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Flexnbeef

Here, Drink some more koolaid....
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I do not now if you do not get it, or if you are pulling my leg. I have to assume the second is true.

If you read my message you will find "Now if you get 100K signatures (I used any number) asking for a change, maybe they study the feasibility of what is requested.[/quote]" Notice the word "if" there, and notuice also that I said (I used any number). Since it is a hypothetical situation, your answer makes no sense (I don't remember...etc...)

All the "picking" you mention is part of the "package". In other words what you get if you become a member. You cannot pick things "NOT offered to you in the package" let see if this is easier to understand. For example: let's say I want to pay much less because I only go to the field 20 times per year, and I did not crash in many many years... (not part of the package no can do) Lets say I want to be a member only for 4 month per year because I live up north and that is the time of the year I fly... (no can do, it is not offered) Well, I cannot do these things because they are not in the "package of benefits offered to members...

Arguing for the sake of arguing twisting other peoples words or attempting to show lack of understanding might be fun for people that like to argue just for the fun of it. Since I believe that everybody should be able to enjoy the hobby the way they like most, I let you keep enjoying yourselves with senseless discussions. I prefer to build, assemble, test, and fly (not always in that order).

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.