Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

+ how many drop it
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: TheEdge

Your in the wrong line, the people who I answer to are located elsewhere.
I dont play these forum games, I don't think I could be any good at it, so trying to suck me in wont work.

Take a break from it Arbo, put the keyboard down and move on, much better things are out there to do than sit there, on your perch, anxiously waiting to defend yourself.

Let it go.
Games? Nope, two simple questions. I always wonder what kind of people stray away from simple questions...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe it's people who don't do well around people who dont listen.

Such a waste of time and energy.

Toodles.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

It was such a nice quiet summer in here.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Live Wire

Well you see the Mod's here are no different than any place else
Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's try to keep the postings on the thread topic. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion there is no need to be posting other off topic stuff. Why would I crack down on this?? Because the thread is volatile enough right now we don't need a bunch of other stuff posting here. Let's keep the postings on the topic of the discussion. I've had to remove a few posts as of late because they weren't even close to the topic, but rather attempts at humor. I'll also remove any further posts.  

Contrary to what some here may believe, I would rather not have to step in and take actions and remove posts. It's not the way we moderate the forums of RCU. We prefer to allow a thread to take it's natural course as a discussion evolves as members participate in the thread. However, we won't hesitate to step in and take actions if they are needed, as I have done here. But as I said, I would have preferred to not have had to do that.

Ken 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimB
ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Wahoo
Think of it this way for a second, you lay out the funds to open your own forum, then you allow whoever wants to join and they start bashing you and the way you choose to run YOUR site. I can GUARENTEE that you would use your own moderation powers to only hear what you want to hear, and basically that would only be the sunshine being blown up yer arse.
Maybe as a general rule or thesis, Wahoo, you are correct. However IMO, I see things a bit differently.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics, AMA, is a membership organization and is NOT using its ''own'' money to operate the forum. It is using funds from the entire spectrum of membership. Those that do not use the forum pay the same fare as those that do. Kind of like we ''taxpayers'' that support the grandiose living styles of our government people and then we have to abide by their rules while we commoners have absolutely nothing to say about those rules.

Therefore I have very little respect for those that make rules, especially rules that I have to assist with their financial standards, that are designed to zip my lip and action, while blowing the smoke upward. In addition I do not care much for those that, simply to further their own status, condone the rule-makers' actions.

In my 76 years I have tried to be understanding of those that I associate with reference their own problems and situations. OTOH, those that try to use me, mine, or my situations simply to further their own personal status, well, they don't find me to be a friendly ally.
As for AMA I have served long and hard for their positions and programs, I have donated far more than ''dues'' and I don't wave a flag for their intent that I see building bigger each passing day which is less than the support of aeromodeling. 'Nuff said for now! [8D]

Hoss, what you quoted was not my post, it was words from wahoo that he posted in a reply to me. I did not write that. You could consider editing your post to reflect that.

It was done on the original.. I APOLOGIZE Big Time. To make things worse I was not even drinking any good drink when I did that. Really, I am sorry!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
gatorbait2

I just read that Wahoo is Ken Robbins, banned from RCG and many other sites, and he is currently on here under two names at least, the other being knlken.
I also read that Arbo has also been banned from RCG and other sites, under many names, so who made him a moderator of an AMA site?
Listening to him here, its obvious he is not a person to be moderating everyone, he seems to hate everyone.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: gatorbait2

I just read that Wahoo is Ken Robbins, banned from RCG and many other sites, and he is currently on here under two names at least, the other being knlken.
I also read that Arbo has also been banned from RCG and other sites, under many names, so who made him a moderator of an AMA site?
Listening to him here, its obvious he is not a person to be moderating everyone, he seems to hate everyone.

I asked Jim T to close his account on RCG, and he did. I was never banned (in the end.. I earned a ban in the past for telling Jim T what I thought of him, which most don't have the fortitude to do). Though I heard about and was directed to loads of claims by Jim T and others saying I was this or that person.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: Arbo

Someone with a grudge against Ken Robbins? Hmm... there are a few people that mention him quite often. What other names do you go by?

I asked Jim T to close his account on RCG, and he did. I was never banned (in the end.. I earned a ban in the past for telling Jim T what I thought of him, which most don't have the fortitude to do). Though I heard about and was directed to loads of claims by Jim T and others saying I was this or that person. It all smacks of some sort of mass hysteria.

So who are you really? I smell sock.

I don't know you, or Ken Robbins, I just read it on another board. They have a lot to say about you on that other board. What is true and what it not, I can't say.
I never read the AMA board either. But you seem to be attacking everybody, you don't look like moderator material to me. Maybe you should listen to some of the others here who are telling you to quit while you are ahead, you don't seem to be making any friends here.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Arbo

I don't know you, or Ken Robbins, I just read it on another board. They have a lot to say about you on that other board. What is true and what it not, I can't say.
I never read the AMA board either. But you seem to be attacking everybody, you don't look like moderator material to me. Maybe you should listen to some of the others here who are telling you to quit while you are ahead, you don't seem to be making any friends here.
I know which forum you are talking about, it is quite obvious. So again I ask, what other names do you go by?

Something is very very familiar.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:13 PM
gatorbait2

I know which forum you are talking about, it is quite obvious. So again I ask, what other names do you go by? Which one of the critters from over there are you?

No thanks. If even half of what is said about you is true, you're a pretty scary dude, I think I have seen enough of you in just this thread to make up my mind about you. Good bye, good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Good observation...Why Arbo comes here to keep digging a deeper hole is a real mystery. After all he does have his very own RC website where he is King everyday... Hmmm...

Anyway, I really hoped Arbo would have made a good moderator at the AMA site and help them form some good practices there. I was very supportive and hopeful early on.

Unfortunately the forum got overrun by those wanting to be "the man" there or by those that would simply not resist the poor direction of cronies.

I watched as the real trouble makers made blatant or even thinly veiled attacks on others, time and time again, with less than sufficient disciplinary action. The moment anyone countered the prominent trouble makers with like kind, posts had a way of disappearing... At least that's how it looked to me...

Around there it seemed to be standard practice to praise AMA first, get some immunity going, then blast the hell out of whoever had a differing opinion...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

snip
snip
Somewhere it was posted that Dave Mathewson made the appointment. Right now that is heresay.

Regardless of all the fun you guys are having with ARBO, while I was not pleased at his work, or with those that allowed him to do so, he had other help and that was a "Frank" fellow, the first moderator!

In my opinion and I have said it many times: The AMA main players never wanted the forum, so they simply wrote many rules that were/are almost unlivable and
hired those that wanted a place to display their power, so to be sure the forum failed. It worked!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Good observation...Why Arbo comes here to keep digging a deeper hole is a real mystery. After all he does have his very own RC website where he is King everyday... Hmmm...

Anyway, I really hoped Arbo would have made a good moderator at the AMA site and help them form some good practices there. I was very supportive and hopeful early on.

Unfortunately the forum got overrun by those wanting to be ''the man'' there or by those that would simply not resist the poor direction of cronies.

I watched as the real trouble makers made blatant or even thinly veiled attacks on others, time and time again, with less than sufficient disciplinary action. The moment anyone countered the prominent trouble makers with like kind, posts had a way of disappearing... At least that's how it looked to me...

Around there it seemed to be standard practice to praise AMA first, get some immunity going, then blast the hell out of whoever had a differing opinion...
So what's his own website?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

snip
snip
Somewhere it was posted that Dave Mathewson made the appointment. Right now that is heresay.

Regardless of all the fun you guys are having with ARBO, while I was not pleased at his work, or with those that allowed him to do so, he had other help and that was a ''Frank'' fellow, the first moderator!

In my opinion and I have said it many times: The AMA main players never wanted the forum, so they simply wrote many rules that were/are almost unlivable and
hired those that wanted a place to display their power, so to be sure the forum failed. It worked!
You just might be right...It sure fits! Yep, that other Frank you mentioned seemed more about promoting himself than keeping a fair forum.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

So what's his own website?
I forget but maybe Arbo will let you know...If not, I'll get back to you on that. He used AMA's forum to promote it and the shameless advertisement should still be there. They seemed to have duped the higher ups into allowing such... really sad when you think about it all...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Once again guys, let's keep the discussion on the topic of this thread. Who the identity of a RCU member is, other internet forums and what goes on there, and who may have another website have NOTHING to do with this thread. I have just removed a string of posts that were way off topic. If members here continue to try and drag this thread off topic I'll step in and start putting some people in a time out. As I said before, if you can't contribute to the discussion then simply don't post. It's just that simple guys.

Ken
Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Arbo

lcs, Did you see the screen capture that included one of the members that threatened a law suit agains the AMA? That was standard stuff to hear. Quite a lot of people had the idea that since they paid dues, they owned the forum and should be able to post whatever they wanted. When they were warned they sent PM's complaining about the 'treatment', threatened law suits, called Dave directly to complain, one even said he had a lot of money he had willed to the AMA and he would change that if he didn't get his way. Another member sent a PMto someone he didn't like, gloating about another member being banned and hoping that guy was the next to go...

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when I started there as a user, I didn't much like Muroc, we butted heads quite often. On there and RCG. But once I saw things from the 'other side', well, it kinda opens your eyes to the behavior and games people play.

Having witnessed all that, it does not surprise me they want to close the forum.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 PM
littlecrankshaf

lcs, Did you see the screen capture that included one of the members that threatened a law suit agains the AMA? That was standard stuff to hear. Quite a lot of people had the idea that since they paid dues, they owned the forum and should be able to post whatever they wanted. When they were warned they sent PM's complaining about the 'treatment', threatened law suits, called Dave directly to complain, one even said he had a lot of money he had willed to the AMA and he would change that if he didn't get his way.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when I started there as a user, I didn't much like Muroc, we butted heads quite often. On there and RCG. But once I saw things from the 'other side', well, it kinda opens your eyes to the behavior and games people play.

Having witnessed all that, it does not surprise me they want to close the forum.

Probably not much different than any other forum based website...The other things mentioned is more of a problem IMO
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Arbo

Is this all bad moderation? (since some want to make that the sole reason for the end of the AMA forum)

First is an example of Dave coming in and telling us to 'take care' of posts by a certain user, that was banned before. To which I tell him that I can't deal with some of them because they address me. The rule being that if you were banned once, next time it is a perma ban, which was just about never enforced as moderators didn't even have the power to ban anyone until far later...

The others are in a different thread that was really started about two users, as those in charge were focused on those two users. My thoughts about the situation and moderating, and one from Dave giving some thoughts and comments. Interestingly, after those two users were gone, the amount of moderation needed did not decline. And when I started, and for the longest time, we did not have the ability to actually ban anyone, as you can see in reading some of these. We logged messages removed, warnings given, and passed it up the chain. In addition there were several other admins that would remove messages and even edit out 'bad' parts of some leaving the rest. Which makes the claim that any one person did all of it kind of silly.

Names of individuals (real and aliases) removed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73827.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1795024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25970.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1795025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82972.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1795026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42945.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1795027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57546.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1795028  
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 PM
koastrc

I feel sad you are taking all this so hard Paul. I think most have no real problem with you. The forum for whatever reason was a good idea that just didn't pan out. No real reflection on you or anyone else. Like Ken pointed out. These things tend to get out of hand. It is just the way it all works out. The AMA is what it is. RCU is what it is. We all at times want things to be what we think it should be, but things are what they are. Take it easy would be my advice. It will all work itself out.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lcs, Did you see the screen capture that included one of the members that threatened a law suit agains the AMA? That was standard stuff to hear. Quite a lot of people had the idea that since they paid dues, they owned the forum and should be able to post whatever they wanted. When they were warned they sent PM's complaining about the 'treatment', threatened law suits, called Dave directly to complain, one even said he had a lot of money he had willed to the AMA and he would change that if he didn't get his way. Another member sent a PM to someone he didn't like, gloating about another member being banned and hoping that guy was the next to go...

Arbo,

That was not a threat. It was a promise, and one that I was and am fully prepared to execute. The AMA forum is a little different from other (open) forums, since membership was a requirement to be able to post. Trying to deny a member the right to post is denying him/her a basic tenent of their membership. You overstepped your authority in banning members. You just never met anyone
else with either the will or the wherewithal to take you and the AMA to task for your actions. I was/and am serious in that regard.

Bill, Bottom Feeder #1
AMA 4720

Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: koastrc

I feel sad you are taking all this so hard Paul. I think most have no real problem with you. The forum for whatever reason was a good idea that just didn't pan out. No real reflection on you or anyone else. Like Ken pointed out. These things tend to get out of hand. It is just the way it all works out. The AMA is what it is. RCU is what it is. We all at times want things to be what we think it should be, but things are what they are. Take it easy would be my advice. It will all work itself out.

Not really taking it all that hard, thought I do realize it is easy to see it that way. Just trying to set the record straight. As you know since you were there, there were several people that kept going in a negative direction on that thread, and to this day have kept it up. Now that the forum is going away, it was just time to speak some truth to the years of false acqusations.

You were one of the good and civil one's over there at all times.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Arbo,

That was not a threat. It was a promise, and one that I was and am fully prepared to execute. The AMA forum is a little different from other (open) forums, since membership was a requirement to be able to post. Trying to deny a member the right to post is denying him/her a basic tenent of their membership. You overstepped your authority in banning members. You just never met anyone
else with either the will or the wherewithal to take you and the AMA to task for your actions. I was/and am serious in that regard.

Bill, Bottom Feeder #1
AMA 4720
All thing's have rules. The AMA has rules in general, their forum had rules. You are no more allowed to ignore the rules on the forum than you would be allowed to ignore the safety code just because you are a paying member. You broke the rules, specifically you spoke about Muroc in a critical manner, taking a jab when he quit his position of moderator. Notice below the additional rules Dave put out, that you did read, because you took part in the thread.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/...h=stickbuilder

As per how they wanted things to be moderated and what the rules were, you were given a warning for that post that was removed. That's it, a warning, telling you exactly what rules you broke. That's it. Nobody 'talked to you in that manner', nor did they abuse you or the system. Take a look at all of it again, anyone look at it, and please explain how this case of sending a warning about a rules violation is bad moderaton, or denying something the ability to talk unfairly. There were quite a few people who took the same line of 'i pay my dues so i can say whatever I want'. That is a nonsensical line to take. And as I mentioned before, they had MANY threats of legal action, most from people that the administration actually banned. All those members remained banned, or served out their 30 day ban without an early repreive due to their threats of leagal action.

As mentioned, can you just violate the safety code since you are a member? Can you put anything in MA that you want because you are a member? No. Being a part of an organization does not confir ownership and decision making upon any member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.