Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

MA Columnist reflect on flying season

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

MA Columnist reflect on flying season

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA Columnist reflect on flying season

I have to admit I did not read the article but the title alone is a concern. Since when has there been a flying season? I really think the AMA should be looking at flying being a year around hobby and not a season.

We fly all year long, inside and out. Snow, wind between rain showers. Fly with the weather the good lord gives us. We all pay for MA through our AMA dues so I would think we should hold them to a high standard. It's not like there is much to get out of MA. Maybe that will change some day.

Crash99
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: MA Columnist reflect on flying season

So, you're complaining about an article you didn't read?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yah, seriously! This post is ridiculous. For many there is a flying season. Now it is building season. I love building season.

There is enough stuff to be truly bothered by, not something so contrived as this. Go fly and forget about the article.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When it is light outside....it's flying season....when it is dark outside - you guessed it...it's building season
Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crash99

I have to admit I did not read the article but the title alone is a concern. Since when has there been a flying season? I really think the AMA should be looking at flying being a year around hobby and not a season.
Maybe they do, Crash! Season to you, Season to me, Season to anyone can mean a number of differet time slots. So whatever your season is, is simply YOUR decision.
Nice to have a selection.

We fly all year long, inside and out. Snow, wind between rain showers. Fly with the weather the good lord gives us. We all pay for MA through our AMA dues so I would think we should hold them to a high standard. It's not like there is much to get out of MA. Maybe that will change some day.

Crash99
I use to do same. Not anymore. Too much stuff to take care of and too many kinfolks (9 grandkids, nieces, nephews, and great grandkids with more on the way ) to visit and love. To each his own. Happy New Year and fly some for me too.

Edited to add: Tailskid that is a good one. Day and Night. However I really enjoy night flying. I have flown the same airplane and equipment for some 5 years now. A very Old RCM Trainer 60, Supertigre 60 Blue Head, Spectrum 7, with neon lighting all around the top, bottom nose, all tail surfaces and wing outlines. It's a ball this "night season!"
Still planning on getting those bright lights that now is the fashion, but my system really works well and is SOOOO simple. BTW the neon lights don't work well with 72 MHZ or maybe vice versa, so 2.4 is required.

Ya'll have a great 2013, regardless of politics!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 AM
glalderman
My Feedback: (9)

Crash99

Wow...this has to be one of the silliest complaints about AMA I have ever heard. The author seemed to be reflecting on his own past year of flying experiences for the year of 2012, as in a personal reflection for him.

Don't get much out of MA? I believe MA is always looking for modelers to contribute to the magazine as it is "our" magazine...my suggestion would be instead of complaining and saying MA should be held to a higher standard (not sure what exactly that means in this context and thread), submit an article and contribute. Show MA this "higher standard" in actions by submitting a great article for all of us to read, enjoy and maybe learn something we didn't know about the hobby.

Greg

Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

If memory serves, the OP has posted true to his history on AMA related topics. Some folks just have to try to make trouble where there is none to be made.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

If memory serves, the OP has posted true to his history on AMA related topics. Some folks just have to try to make trouble where there is none to be made.
I think the OP openly admitted he had not read the article and that he only takes exception of the AMA article's position of what a flying season is...and is a valid point IMO... For me the winter is a time I look forward to for flying while the heat at the height of summer is when I look forward to getting some building done... As someone that I have much respect for once told me...Trim the sails...don't try to change the wind...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the OP bothered to read the article, he'd have seen the the author was talking about the 2012 Pattern Contest season. Guess it's just more fun to look for trouble where there is none!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

crash 99 is a good guy who means well. He is a "Crusader for Having Fun".
After first glance at the title of that article I might have jumped to the same conclusion and then figured that the AMA should emphasize ways to fly all year 'round, too.
They DO have some kind of a "All Season Flyer" patch IIRC.
I'm going to take a few hours this year and try to wire up a pair of mechanic's gloves for battery powered heat.
It's fun to fly in bad weather flying under the raised rear hatch of my Cherokeee with a propane heater going and a hot drink nearby...but it's no fun when your hands get too numb to land the plane. I used to fly with an old guy who once got so froze up he just laid the TX on the bench and let his "RC-1" with the big balloon tires land itself.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM
JohnShe

Crash99
You know, Crash I think you have an interesting point. But, I don't entirely agree with you.

First , I read the article. It is an amusing reminiscence of the authors experiences in the past year of flying. He, for his own reasons, not clearly spelled out, identifies this period of time as his flying season. Now this was no big deal to me because Itoo have a flying season. Our weather is not exactly tropical here on the mid east coast. There is a time period beginning in about mid October and extending to to early March that is just too dang cold and wet to go flying outdoors. At least for me and a few others. I think the author probably has the same experience.

Now we simply aren't stoic or adventurist enough to go flying in the cold on ice coated runways, so we stay home and build or get our hanger ready for March when we mob the flying field to have fun flying. We call that our winter building season.

I don't think that the author ever intended to impose some period of time on us as the official AMA flying season. But instead referred to his own experience.

As for you, Crash, go have fun flying as much as you want to whenever you want to, meanwhile Iwill be toasty warm in my shop working on my next build.

Enjoy.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

We have a flying season here.

Early January to late December
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
tailskid

Our winter starts on December 31st and ends January 1st
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
JohnShe

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

We have a flying season here.

Early January to late December
Ah, the tropics. Well enjoy the weather. Up in the northern US and most of Canada, they say that they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of rocky sledding.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 PM
tailskid

Well we can brag this time of the year....the other 5-6-7 months the temps go to 110+ with ZERO cloud cover
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Well we can brag this time of the year....the other 5-6-7 months the temps go to 110+ with ZERO cloud cover
If you can provide your own water, wood and meat..you ought to be "good to go".
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM
tailskid

Water and shade is all we need
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
cj_rumley

I have flown every day this year.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
JohnShe

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

I have flown every day this year.
Right, the Google map puts Aguanga, CA right in the middle of a desert. Enjoy the weather.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crash99

This is why we have to give ribbons to all of the kids on field day.

Kurt
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, my outdoor flying season starts at sunrise on Jan 01 of a given year and ends at sunset December 31 of that year. For some reason, a lot of fellow flyers here on the Sunny South Shore of Lake Erie don't seem to agree with me on the length of the season, seeming to prefer something that runs maybe from May to mid-October. I haven't missed a month of flying since 1990.
Now, competition season is a horse of a different color. Although one of the FF clubs I'm a member of just had an indoor contest for 3 categories last Sunday.