Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Service

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default AMA Service

Over a month ago I contacted the AMA customer service department and discussed reinstating my old number I had when I was a teenager. The lady said no problem, and we then verified my current number, the old number, name, address, etc. I was assured it was done and the new card would be in the mail.

A couple of days later, I sent in a sanction application and the check to cover the fee. When I called the AMA today, about a month later, I was told no change was done, at all, to my AMA number and there was no record of the request. I don't raise my voice or engage in name calling but I let the lady on the line know that I considered this wildly unprofessional and unacceptable. She agreed, apologized, and then assured me it will be fixed.

I talked to another lady about the new card/old number reinstatement and was told nothing had been done nor was there a record of the attempt. The lady then assured me it would be handled immediately. I told her, respectfully, that I had heard that before......

The lady from the sanction department called back an told the that the regional Contest Coordinator was sitting on all the applications but no reason as to why. I said it is a fly-in and not a competition so why not bypass that step and get my sanction processed so it could at least be published for 1 month before the event. Also, the check had been cashed.

So here we are, 2 separate issues mis-handled and dropped from 2 different departments in one month. I asked to speak to the department supervisor but was informed he had taken the day off without warning and didn't inform anybody in his department. I said fine, let me talk to Dave Brown. I was then told he was at a trade show or something to that effect.

You know, if not for the insurance, I would say to hell with the AMA.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
Over a month ago I contacted the AMA customer service department and discussed reinstating my old number I had when I was a teenager. The lady said no problem, and we then verified my current number, the old number, name, address, etc. I was assured it was done and the new card would be in the mail.

A couple of days later, I sent in a sanction application and the check to cover the fee. When I called the AMA today, about a month later, I was told no change was done, at all, to my AMA number and there was no record of the request. I don't raise my voice or engage in name calling but I let the lady on the line know that I considered this wildly unprofessional and unacceptable. She agreed, apologized, and then assured me it will be fixed.

I talked to another lady about the new card/old number reinstatement and was told nothing had been done nor was there a record of the attempt. The lady then assured me it would be handled immediately. I told her, respectfully, that I had heard that before......

The lady from the sanction department called back an told the that the regional Contest Coordinator was sitting on all the applications but no reason as to why. I said it is a fly-in and not a competition so why not bypass that step and get my sanction processed so it could at least be published for 1 month before the event. Also, the check had been cashed.

So here we are, 2 separate issues mis-handled and dropped from 2 different departments in one month. I asked to speak to the department supervisor but was informed he had taken the day off without warning and didn't inform anybody in his department. I said fine, let me talk to Dave Brown. I was then told he was at a trade show or something to that effect.

I hate to say it but it seems all those issues you complain are pretty much insignificant. Go on with your fun fly...use whatever number you have...NBD
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your District VP is Randy Cameron, give him a call and let him know what happened. Probably would get more action if you could say who you talked to rather than "some lady" though.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

You lost me, can't things go on without the old number? Why get upset over something like this when you survived for a long time using the number you have now!
Mistakes happen and this sport/addiction is all about fun? Bet you arn't on top of the priority list at AMA and most of us arn't.
The folks at the phones take a lot of calls each day........
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM
Lifer

The old number isn't the issue. The issue is incompetence, and a culture that sense little obligation to it's membership. This marks 3 for 3. Three instances of promises not kept, and a disregard for obligations. If that's okay for some, so be it. It is not okay with me.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Relax you will survive altho I suspect it will be close.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer

You certainly have a good reason to be P-Oed., yet maybe not so much. Now as your post was 02-21-14 and you stated, "...over a month ago...." that you had sent in the Sanction request, that means that the time period was in early January, was it not? January is a terrible time to request sanctions, etc. The big AMA Show is in effect along with all the AMA folks going and coming along with renewals, some vacations, winter weather in the Indiana area, and many other similar problems, situations, etc., etc. OTOH, I would have definitely contacted the D.VI VP and provided some "words" concerning the poor care by the staff. In addition I would have definitely filled Cameron's ears concerning his selection of a Contest Coordinator "...sitting on all the( sanction) applications but no reason as to why."

Now my question is just Where, When, What and How does Dave Brown fit into the program? DB has long been retired from the AMA Presidency, and such.
That question by you would have certainly made the folks in the office wonder just how seriously you are in reference to your AMA structure.

Having served as a CC and a DVP, way back when there were no real computers, I still demanded service from my appointed folks, Contest Coordinators, Contest Board members, etc. Easy to work out differences, no problems, but dereliction-of-duty got a few fellows fired. No more wearing the white shirts with rank thereon.

So, hopefully you have got all that straightened out with Cameron, your D-VI VP, Bob Brown (AMA PRES.), and Dave Mathewson, (AMA Executive Director) and left Dave Brown to his running DB Products.

Last edited by Hossfly; 05-05-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: better communication
Old 05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Lifer

It's all straightened out now. I never raise my voice, or act improperly, but I was frustrated and disappointed. After it was over, I called and thanked everyone for their help and dedication.

Thanks for the follow-up.