Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calm down there, SP. Someone musta slipped some 5-hour energy into your Ensure.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...-not-good.html
Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

The latest FAA move:

http://rt.com/usa/155756-faa-journal...investigation/
Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I guess John did dial 911
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

ill fly a drone i dont care what the faa says
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Last week a judge grounded a fleet of 4 drones in Texas. He stated that until the FAA does not issue the regulations, they will not fly (it was a commercial operation). He added that the FAA had until the end of next year (2015) to do so. I guess those 4 were being used commercially w/o a license.

Gerry
Kudos to the judge. I must admit that for coTexan he surprises me.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
I guess John did dial 911
Would have but wasn't there, got blown away to Oz for a short time.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I fly drones all the time at a club field, I have FAA approval. I hope you have $10K handy.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
JohnShe

Was that the guy in your post #1036? LOL! About time.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:05 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep and us that fly rc planes dont care what you fly or what the faa says to you either as long as it does not cause any rain on our parade . joe
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eddieC
Calm down there, SP. Someone musta slipped some 5-hour energy into your Ensure.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...-not-good.html
What made you think I was excited or upset? It is just a matter of fact observation that he made no reference in his post, nor was it in the link.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Last week a judge grounded a fleet of 4 drones in Texas. He stated that until the FAA does not issue the regulations, they will not fly (it was a commercial operation). He added that the FAA had until the end of next year (2015) to do so. I guess those 4 were being used commercially w/o a license.

Gerry
This morning, Thurs. 05-01-'14, Fox News (LOCAL, Houston, TX) had a short blurb about all the good things that the commercial drone fleet is going to bring to the world. The item showed some rather large drones ( I estimate some 10 ft wingspan or about) being catapulted off some kind of rig to perform such. Light airplane drivers better learn to look outside. It seems that so many pilots these days cannot take their eyes out of the cockpit. Actually "these days" are really the period of some 10 years before I retired from UAL some 18 years ago. We "Old FaXts" learned to scan the skies but the newer ones kept thinking a cockpit was just another "simulator". Civil Drones are simply going to be "incoming" rockets. I really dislike flying these days in commercial aircraft!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Hossfly
This morning, Thurs. 05-01-'14, Fox News (LOCAL, Houston, TX) had a short blurb about all the good things that the commercial drone fleet is going to bring to the world. The item showed some rather large drones ( I estimate some 10 ft wingspan or about) being catapulted off some kind of rig to perform such. Light airplane drivers better learn to look outside. It seems that so many pilots these days cannot take their eyes out of the cockpit. Actually "these days" are really the period of some 10 years before I retired from UAL some 18 years ago. We "Old FaXts" learned to scan the skies but the newer ones kept thinking a cockpit was just another "simulator". Civil Drones are simply going to be "incoming" rockets. I really dislike flying these days in commercial aircraft!
Of course, if you have the money you get the best mouthpieces you can. People that will defend any position trough distortion or misinformation. I think it will be a problem for GA if you have drones that are small, and hard to see. I flew GA and yes we were trained in scanning the sky, but if you scan for another airplane your size or bigger, piloted by a guy doing the same, is one thing. Here we are talking something much smaller than a GA airplane, hard to see, and the drone might not be looking out for you...

Gerry
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Hossfly
I agree with you, at least initially. I think lthe early UAV's may have issues with sensing other aircraft. If done by video only the resolution will not be enough to do a good job. However I suspect technology will eventually improve enough that they may do better than a good pilot with sharp eyes. At least for UAV's intended for navigable skys. For those flying under 400 feet I suspect that the FAA will require that you keep them in sight, at least at first.

A far as GA pilots not scanning the sky's I believe it is the large airliners that are the worst on that. Maybe not in your time, but now the instument panel is above eye level and many either do not have a seat that does not raise above the instrument panel or pilots do not bother to use them. I recall a crash above San Diago many years ago where the airliner pilot did not see the small plane because he did not raise his seat for landing configeration.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 05-01-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
[email protected]

about time to remove the drone section been on over 24 hrs
Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Your lazy and lame reading capacity is almost as astounding as your steel trap mind that is welded shut! A pointer was provided that most seem to have understood. Go back before the post your panties are in a wad over and try reading a bit.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

A far as GA pilots not scanning the sky's I believe it is the large airliners that are the worst on that. Maybe not in your time, but now the instument panel is above eye level and many either do not have a seat that does not raise above the instrument panel or pilots do not bother to use them. I recall a crash above San Diago many years ago where the airliner pilot did not see the small plane because he did not raise his seat for landing configeration.
HORSE MANURE!

The panel can be below eye level when the seat is lowered so the crew can exit.

What airliner and what date or is this "crash report" yet another one of your lies?

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 05-01-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: darn, wrong directon - lol
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
JW0311

about time to remove the drone section been on over 24 hrs
I say let it take it's course my friend. I have learned a lot during this thread. Despite all the bickering, There has been some information that I had not considered.

James
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

Go back before the post your panties are in a wad over and try reading a bit.
That would only prove you made no reference, the prior post made no mention of foamies.

The panel can be below eye level when the seat is lowered so the crew can exit.
Yes it can, but all do not. Regardless of if the panel is above or below eye level many have seats that raise above the normal position and the normal position is above the lower exit position. This was PSA flight 182 and the seat issue was an NTSB finding that is not mentioned in most accounts. I believe I recall it in a recent Air Disaster episode.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That would only prove you made no reference, the prior post made no mention of foamies.

Yes it can, but all do not. Regardless of if the panel is above or below eye level many have seats that raise above the normal position and the normal position is above the lower exit position. This was PSA flight 182 and the seat issue was an NTSB finding that is not mentioned in most accounts. I believe I recall it in a recent Air Disaster episode.
Either go back in the thread and read where a reference was made to foamies damaging airliners or drop it and admit you are just too lame and lazy to do anything other than try to pick a fight, because you are wrong. Unless you are extremely slow it shouldn't take you over 15 minutes to find the reference that I have pointed you to twice now.

I was going to ask you to stop making things up and then I realized it was on TV so you believe it instead of getting the facts just like many dumb Americans who are spoon fed right and wrong by the entertainment media called 'the news'. Previously I have said you needed to check your facts. Here is the final conclusion about seat position TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE NTSB REPORT of that incident that seems to conflict with your report of an NTSB finding. Enjoy.

The visibility study showed that when the 0859:39 and 09OO:lS
advisories were issued, the Cessna would have been almost centered on
both pilots' windshields. Even if their eyes were lower and slightly
aft of the design eye reference points, the cockpit structure of the
Boeing 727 would not have prevented either pilot from sighting the
Cessna. Since the sun was above the horizon and the Cessna was below
It, the pilots would not have had to look directly into the sun to find
the Cessna', and the white surface of the Cessna's wing could have
presented a relatively bright target in the sunlight.

Because I already know your response, here is where you can go to READ the whole thing for yourself, it is educational for many of the different aspects of this thread.

http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR79-05.pdf

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 05-02-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Wrong tense of verb and link added for Doubting Thomas
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Silent-AV8R

Now FAA fine levied against NYC Phantom quad operator:

http://www.suasnews.com/2014/05/2892...phantom-pilot/

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 05-03-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

New FAA fine levied against NYC Phantom quad operator:

http://www.suasnews.com/2014/05/2892...phantom-pilot/
Seems the FAA has their own wheel fortune for assessing fines...$2,200 for this one vs. a $10,000 fine for the incident this thread is about...maybe they care less about genuine safety and more about someone making a buck...at least that's how appears.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Seems the FAA has their own wheel fortune for assessing fines...$2,200 for this one vs. a $10,000 fine for the incident this thread is about...maybe they care less about genuine safety and more about someone making a buck...at least that's how appears.
What about the severity of their actions?

Here is pirker's list of 12 safety infractions, you will note that the list includes flying within 100 ft of a helipad.

Compared to Zablidowsky, I would think that Pirker deserved a higher fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirker Actions.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	1992038   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Zablidowsky.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1992039  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Calculating the average fine per infraction($833 for Trappy and $314 for Mr. Z), we see a significant disparity.
The NTSB judge obviously thought Trappy's fine excessive, so FAA is trying to find the "sweet spot"--what the market will bear, so to speak.
It will probably end up at about $500 in the future, I'd guess.
Maybe FAA will publish an ala carte list of infractions/fines for us so we will know how to plan our dangerous flights, based on what we can afford.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
What about the severity of their actions?

Here is pirker's list of 12 safety infractions, you will note that the list includes flying within 100 ft of a helipad.

Compared to Zablidowsky, I would think that Pirker deserved a higher fine.

Yea, Pirker's flying near a statue and below tree top level is pretty bad but just the thought of flying under a crane...absolutely horrific!!

Look, rationalize a defense of FAA's arbitrariness however you wish...You're already down for being someone that enjoys turning in violators of their "code"... Whatever that is.

FWIW I think 804's observation is more insightful and not just some goofy purcyfied rationalization...
Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Silent-AV8R

The latest action has nothing to do with commercial use or making money. This one pertains to the fine fellow who launched his quad from his apartment balcony in Manhattan and then promptly lost control slamming it into buildings ad then the quad crashing into the sidewalk 25 stories down.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM
JohnShe

Yea, Pirker's flying near a statue and below tree top level is pretty bad but just the thought of flying under a crane...absolutely horrific!!

Look, rationalize a defense of FAA's arbitrariness however you wish...You're already down for being someone that enjoys turning in violators of their "code"... Whatever that is.

FWIW I think 804's observation is more insightful and not just some goofy purcyfied rationalization...

I consider both Pirker'S and Zwhatever's violations dangerous. And If i witnessed or felt threatened by such behavior, I will turn them in. I know you think that you are a comedian and you like to twist things, but don't quit your day job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.