Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Approves Drone Flights In Texas

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Approves Drone Flights In Texas

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA Approves Drone Flights In Texas

Check this out.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/mon...xtended-range/
Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by GSAV8R
Right, that is one of six tests sites required by the FAA modernization act of 2012. It is not a blanket approval of drone operations. Instead it is a highly restrictive test bed for determining how drones may eventually be operated within the NAS.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
XXXXX It is not a blanket approval of drone operations. Instead it is a highly restrictive test bed for determining how drones may eventually be operated within the NAS.
How many airliners will they have to take out before they are satisfied with the results?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Hossfly
How many airliners will they have to take out before they are satisfied with the results?
LOL! Actually the test site was selected in order to avoid any risk of a collision with a full sized aircraft.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! Actually the test site was selected in order to avoid any risk of a collision with a full sized aircraft.
While the text states that there is a considerable amount of open land, country, or such BS to that effect, there is much activity in that area. Private airplanes were
plentiful back in the 1962 plus some period when I was an USAF Instructor in T-33 and T-38. In all out VFR work, teaching students how to escape and evade them was a lot of the practice. That stuff is long gone, yet there is still a bunch of other stuff going on there. About 3 years ago I was invited to get into a group that did a LOT of low level flying (???) in and out of south TX and northern Mexico. I said "No, Thanks!!!" In addition I stayed away from asking about their cargo.
IMO, any form of Drone work, not in full radar control, is simply a mid-air waiting to happen.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Hossfly
While the text states that there is a considerable amount of open land, country, or such BS to that effect, there is much activity in that area. Private airplanes were
plentiful back in the 1962 plus some period when I was an USAF Instructor in T-33 and T-38. In all out VFR work, teaching students how to escape and evade them was a lot of the practice. That stuff is long gone, yet there is still a bunch of other stuff going on there. About 3 years ago I was invited to get into a group that did a LOT of low level flying (???) in and out of south TX and northern Mexico. I said "No, Thanks!!!" In addition I stayed away from asking about their cargo.
IMO, any form of Drone work, not in full radar control, is simply a mid-air waiting to happen.
Can't argue with you, but the whole point is for FAA approved testing to take place. I am sure there will be all kinds of NOTAM warnings and operational restrictions on both drone and full scale. Don't forget, this only applies to commercial and public drone operations. It has noting to do with model aviation. If they can't find a way to operate safely it will have no effect on us. And it will be tough luck for them.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Private airplanes were plentiful back in the 1962 plus some period when I was an USAF Instructor in T-33 and T-38.
Not so much now, very few private planes flying today except for the biz jets.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why are they launching an Intruder pattern plane from a rail?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not so much now, very few private planes flying today except for the biz jets.
I live about 15 or so miles from a small public airport and my sky seems full of typical private aircraft. They fly over all the time, I think there are a couple of flying schools operating out of the airport.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why are they launching an Intruder pattern plane from a rail?
Why not?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Sport_Pilot

I am going on actual numbers of flying planes. I believe passenger miles are up due to the fast flying jets. But small single engine and possible twin engine are way down. I doubt you would notice much difference near a flight school, but I do not see near as many private prop planes over my house as I did. And most of my friends who used to fly GA as well as myself no longer do so. To expensive, too troublesome, and almost too dangerous.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Sport_Pilot

Why not?
It would seem a waste. But I see now it is not an Intruder. They are mid wing and that is shoulder wing. Other than that it does look a lot like the old Intruder pattern plane.

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2395