Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It would if the FAA would bother themselves with NextGen. Anything with a transponder would show up on the pilots info and collision avoidance system. But the FAA cares nothing about NextGen.
Pray tell, what direct experience do you have with NextGen? At what FAA aeronautical center do you work? You've mentioned the above several times.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

But you're forgetting one thing Mike, An overdose is self inflicted and only the one taking the excessive amount dies. With a DUI involved accident, only the people in the vehicles involved are normally hurt. If a plane goes down due to a drone strike, the passengers are helpless victims that will probably die without any way of saving themselves.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by IFlyEm35
Are you an airline pilot? I am. ALPA does have safety concerns and every time stuff like this happens it validates those concerns. However, there is not a plot out there by airline pilots to ground R/C aircraft or make false reports about drones. Especially ones from other countries.

My point about the balloons and birds is that it's not difficult to identify things that you encounter in flight. And yes birds and balloons do get reported if the pilot feels there is a potential impact to other aircraft...I.e. the objects are right on the approach. As for drones, I'm pretty sure a Phantom would do significant damage if it during an airliner doing 200-250 kts. That's why it's getting press.
Just out of curiosity, would you agree with this post I made in another thread?
let me spell out the ramifications of a twin turbine jetliner eating a quad:
1) You immediately lose all thrust from the affected engine making the plane harder to control as the remaining engine must be run at full throttle to keep the plane airborne
2) You immediately lose all electrical power generated by that engine as well as any systems dedicated to that generators bus(power system)
3) You immediately lose all hydraulic pressure generated by that engine. This means that part of the flight controls will no longer work so the plane will be sluggish, at best, answering the control inputs
4) You will no longer be able to use the engine's thrust reversers. With one engine out, using the thrust reverser on the good engine will spin the plane, possibly with catastrophic results
5) You will have to stop the plane using just the brakes, IF THEY STILL WORK THAT IS. Since a "go around" won't be an option due to lack of thrust, the plane will have to land faster than normal. Using just brakes to stop can result in a plane that over-runs the end of the runway, again with potential catastrophic results.

Just to be clear, these are not things that "might happen", THEY WILL HAPPEN AS SOON AS THE QUAD HITS THE FRONT FAN OF THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I can prevent someone from getting a quad into the path of an airliner, that's 200+ people that won't be going to the hospital or, worse yet, the morgue
Old 03-21-2016, 10:29 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Close. You'll lose the engine, respective hyd raulics, generator, and bleed. But you don't really lose anything system wise but redundancy. All critical systems can generally be supported with one engine inoperative.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Close. You'll lose the engine, respective hyd raulics, generator, and bleed. But you don't really lose anything system wise but redundancy. All critical systems can generally be supported with one engine inoperative.

+ 1
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why are these pilots not avoiding the drones? They fly straight through. I know it is possible to see a drone and recognize it, but how far out can you see it?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

It would if the FAA would bother themselves with NextGen. Anything with a transponder would show up on the pilots info and collision avoidance system. But the FAA cares nothing about NextGen.
And you arrive at the conclusion based on what?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

So why are these pilots not avoiding the drones? They fly straight through. I know it is possible to see a drone and recognize it, but how far out can you see it?
The planes are either on final approach or climbing out in very narrow corridors. With the gear, flaps and slats down and flying at slow speed, maneuvering around a quad is the last thing the pilots want to do. One mistake and the plane goes in nose first under those conditions
Old 03-21-2016, 12:57 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by porcia83
I didn't get and don't expect an answer for my similar question. I don't expect you will get one either.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The planes are either on final approach or climbing out in very narrow corridors. With the gear, flaps and slats down and flying at slow speed, maneuvering around a quad is the last thing the pilots want to do. One mistake and the plane goes in nose first under those conditions
+1 The pilot may see a dot on an approach, then the aircraft has already passed it. The pilot is looking at the runway, instruments and concentrating on landing.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I didn't get and don't expect an answer for my similar question. I don't expect you will get one either.
I saw yours after I asked...you know we'll get an answer...eventually.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by mike1974
I understand what you are saying and I do not disagree with it. My problem though, is that it HAS NOT happened. No lives have been lost due to a drone strike. FPV has been flown for 10 years now!!! No lives lost. With that said, how many poeple will die today in alcohol related accidents? How about drug overdoses thanks to the Pharmaceutical Industry? These are real lives and real families who have ACTUALLY died, yet we are more concerened with regulating a HOBBY to death over a perceived "threat" that has yet to materialize into anything other than hysteria?
mike1974;
That is exactly it "A perceived Threat" especially with what is referred to as Traditional Model Aviation Which has an exemplary record for the last 80+ years. Yes
Traditional Model Aviation may/are by FAA's Definition are "DRONES". What They are NOT is the type of drone that is a possible/perceived danger to the flying public. Ask anyone What they think a drone is, and u will get, almost to 100% an answer referring to a Quad type device.

It is all a result of the AMA trying to (After being in discussions/Negotiations with the FAA for 7 or 8 years) Going to Congress and trying to preempt the FAA with the Amendment #336.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:27 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Multiple reasons. Mainly even though you can identify objects when they go by at 200+ mph they are there and behind you pretty quick. There isn't enough time to really make much of an evasive maneuver. Airliners that are dirtied up aren't the most nimble machines. And even if they were you can run into issues with aircraft on parallel approaches..
Old 03-22-2016, 03:11 AM
Rob2160

Just out of curiosity, would you agree with this post I made in another thread?
let me spell out the ramifications of a twin turbine jetliner eating a quad:
1) You immediately lose all thrust from the affected engine making the plane harder to control as the remaining engine must be run at full throttle to keep the plane airborne
2) You immediately lose all electrical power generated by that engine as well as any systems dedicated to that generators bus(power system)
3) You immediately lose all hydraulic pressure generated by that engine. This means that part of the flight controls will no longer work so the plane will be sluggish, at best, answering the control inputs
4) You will no longer be able to use the engine's thrust reversers. With one engine out, using the thrust reverser on the good engine will spin the plane, possibly with catastrophic results
5) You will have to stop the plane using just the brakes, IF THEY STILL WORK THAT IS. Since a "go around" won't be an option due to lack of thrust, the plane will have to land faster than normal. Using just brakes to stop can result in a plane that over-runs the end of the runway, again with potential catastrophic results.

Just to be clear, these are not things that "might happen", THEY WILL HAPPEN AS SOON AS THE QUAD HITS THE FRONT FAN OF THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I can prevent someone from getting a quad into the path of an airliner, that's 200+ people that won't be going to the hospital or, worse yet, the morgue
Damn, if all of that is true I will quit flying tomorrow...

No offense but what specific aircraft type are you talking about?

None of what you said is accurate in the jet aircraft I fly.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-22-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Based on empty buildings waiting on NextGen gear. Nothing coming and inaction on FAA's part.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

With NextGen they would see it way before they are on approach.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
+1 The pilot may see a dot on an approach, then the aircraft has already passed it. The pilot is looking at the runway, instruments and concentrating on landing.
He would see it before he is on approach. And even if so he is supposed to abandon landing and respond to his CAS.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Multiple reasons. Mainly even though you can identify objects when they go by at 200+ mph they are there and behind you pretty quick. There isn't enough time to really make much of an evasive maneuver. Airliners that are dirtied up aren't the most nimble machines. And even if they were you can run into issues with aircraft on parallel approaches..
That is my point. Yes it is possible to see and recognize a drone at that speed, but they are not scanning the sky well enough to be sure and when they spot it it is past them in an instant. So misidentification is very possible. Especially with FAA and pilots unions telling them to report anything as a drone. Heck if they saw a flying saucer with little green men at the window they would report it as a drone.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Damn, if all of that is true I will quit flying tomorrow...

No offense but what specific aircraft type are you talking about?

None of what you said is accurate in the jet aircraft I fly.
That is because Hydro only understand model airplane jet engines. He doesn't understand that real jet engines are more durable. He just doesn't understand them.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM
rgburrill

It's not only dirtied up it's on low throttle on descent. And it takes time for a turbine to spin up. If Sport was as smart as he tries to make everyone think he is he wouldn't have even asked the question.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 AM
rgburrill

With NextGen they would see it way before they are on approach.
What NextGen product would tell a pilot of a full scale aircraft that a microUAS was in his landing pattern? I haven't seen any in any of the documentation I have read on NextGen.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:02 AM
rgburrill

Based on empty buildings waiting on NextGen gear. Nothing coming and inaction on FAA's part.
Do you understand that Congress must provide the funding for the FAA for NextGen products? And Congress hasn't passed anything for the FAA other than continuing resolutions for years.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

What NextGen product would tell a pilot of a full scale aircraft that a microUAS was in his landing pattern? I haven't seen any in any of the documentation I have read on NextGen.

CAS! IflyEm said they should put transponders on drones. NextGen will have improved CAS systems.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

Do you understand that Congress must provide the funding for the FAA for NextGen products? And Congress hasn't passed anything for the FAA other than continuing resolutions for years.
Congress has provided funding. Back in 2013 the FAA said they had enough funding. They keep dragging their feet claiming this technical issue then that, then they go back to funding. We have a building ready to accept NextGen since 2010.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 AM
rgburrill

CAS! IflyEm said they should put transponders on drones. NextGen will have improved CAS systems.
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. There is no NextGen CAS system for model aircraft. Nor is there any requirement for one - YET There is a company that has built a micro ADS-B Out type of transmitter but doesn't show compatibility with the ADS-B Out spec yet. And it's pretty expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.