Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not FPV, but almost just as much fun!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QKHC68PhA
Old 11-16-2014, 04:32 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countryshooter
2.4 can go up to a mile. 73 mhz over mile UHF can go over 10 miles
You mean 72 mhz actually has a longer range than 2.4 ghz?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Maximilionalpha

It also depends on the type of antenna that you decide to use. You get better range using a clover-leaf and or, a circular antenna, than you do using a standard, whip antenna.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM
countryshooter
My Feedback: (21)

opps yes but not by much. the farthest I got was 2 miles since I live in NJ there is not much to see

Last edited by countryshooter; 11-16-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:10 PM
AllModesR/C

opps yes but not by much. the farthest I got was 2 miles since I live in NJ there is not much to see
That's awesome. I am assuming you still had radio communication with your aircraft that far away?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Rob2160

2.4 can go up to a mile. 73 mhz over mile UHF can go over 10 miles
I think you can get more than a mile out of 2.4. I have tried it myself to over 3000 meters. (almost 2 miles) and this video shows much greater distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxLJOLr7xQ
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 AM
Maximilionalpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNPOIeBKPJQ
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And there ya have it , video proof that ya don't need FPV to be flying over highways and well over 400 feet .
Old 11-17-2014, 06:02 AM
countryshooter

yes was using UHF Dragonlink
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is a rule against flying over highways (buildings and others property yes, but not sure if that includes highways), but even so many may be doing just that but not aware they are. It would appear that he is trying to keep from the roads. And with the wide angle camera he may have though it appears he did not. But that appears to be an unoccupied service road.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 11-17-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM
countryshooter

you guys are so lucky out west you can fly to your hearts content such nice scenery here in the northeast well NJ there is nothing to see or can fly without causing trouble
Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by init4fun
And there ya have it , video proof that ya don't need FPV to be flying over highways and well over 400 feet .
Or that those that pay $58 to the model airplane church always practice abstinence. LOL
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Or that those that pay $58 to the model airplane church always practice abstinence. LOL
Heck , even if there were no AMA , I still wouldn't feel comfortable flying over that highway or buildings . Maybe I'm just spoiled , but here in lovely eastern Massachusetts I have several fields remote enough that I don't even need to overfly the road into the field , much less any surrounding large roads as seen in the first video posted at the top of the page . I have all the trust in the world in MY piloting , YOUR piloting , and even Maximillion's piloting , , , , But I have VERY LITTLE trust in the machinery itself , to be taking the responsibility of flying over roads and buildings like that .

Again , That is my comfort level , no AMA doctrine involved
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Maximilionalpha

you guys are so lucky out west you can fly to your hearts content such nice scenery here in the northeast well NJ there is nothing to see or can fly without causing trouble
You're surrounded by farmland. Do you mean to tell us that you can't get permission to fly at one of those fields? Or, better yet, go over to Long Branch and fly at the beach, out over the ocean. I used to fly my stunt kite there, years ago, but mostly in the late fall and early winters.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 AM
littlecrankshaf

Heck , even if there were no AMA , I still wouldn't feel comfortable flying over that highway or buildings . Maybe I'm just spoiled , but here in lovely eastern Massachusetts I have several fields remote enough that I don't even need to overfly the road into the field , much less any surrounding large roads as seen in the first video posted at the top of the page . I have all the trust in the world in MY piloting , YOUR piloting , and even Maximillion's piloting , , , , But I have VERY LITTLE trust in the machinery itself , to be taking the responsibility of flying over roads and buildings like that .

Again , That is my comfort level , no AMA doctrine involved
I am with you 100%...neither would I...and its not about whether or not insurance would cover my rear end...or whether if it is lawful or not.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM
countryshooter

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
You're surrounded by farmland. Do you mean to tell us that you can't get permission to fly at one of those fields? Or, better yet, go over to Long Branch and fly at the beach, out over the ocean. I used to fly my stunt kite there, years ago, but mostly in the late fall and early winters.
yea I flew around farmland all flat lol once you go out you see the same thing plus I'm by the airforce base no fly zone and I'm afraid if I fly too high they might come after me. 400' isnt that high I guess the grass is greener on the other side. Mainly if it ever goes down here miles away ppl might not like it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by JohnShe
. . .I suppose, that governments, federal, sate, or local could require that hobby shops and toy stores require drone purchasers to show an ID, read a safety brochure and sign-off on having reads it. It would not do a whole lot of good, since most jerks will just ignore it, but at least it will make some people think and slightly reduce the number of unsafe incidents. Then the jerks can be punished more severely.
Though this is a good idea, it's difficult to implement, given the fact that model aircraft sales are no longer limited to hobby shops. It would be easy to convince HobbyTown USA to implement this policy. Much harder to get WalMart to implement a policy such as this at their 4,000+ stores.

Originally Posted by smeckert
And can a farmer compensate me to get a look at his crops, herd etc?
Being as deer season just opened here, can I scout an area for deer, for beer?
What about the 250' smoke stack on a factory, can I video the inside and outside for a family member who is in charge of it? For money
Most agree that there is currently no law that either permits or prohibits these activities, though the FAA's recent interpretation of federal law explicitly outlaws all of these activities. So, if you engage in these activities, and if the FAA takes action against you, you will be compelled to hire an attorney and defend yourself. After you spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees to defend yourself, you might be found not guilty.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think there is a rule against flying over highways (buildings and others property yes, but not sure if that includes highways), but even so many may be doing just that but not aware they are. It would appear that he is trying to keep from the roads. And with the wide angle camera he may have though it appears he did not. But that appears to be an unoccupied service road.
The AMA's safety code does prohibit flight ". . .directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures. . ." So, the AMA safety code does not prohibit flight over a road, as long as there are not vehicles on the road.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM
init4fun

Ya know , in all honesty , Im not some old killjoy (or buzzkill or whatever) so get that right out of your thoughts . I do know that the very next major city next to Boston , Quincy Massachusetts , has a city ordinance against the flying of any remote controlled aircraft within the city limits from about the 1970s on right through to today . The reason for the ban is unknown to me but I always figured someone musta done something pretty dumb with one to have made that be the rulemaking agenda at the next city meeting . And that was way back then ! I can easily see in those videos all kinds of people and reasons why I wouldn't fly where you are and believe me if that RC link fails at the wrong time and you create a wreck on one of those roads or hit a pedestrian near one of the many buildings not only will you bear the trouble of the law but you'll screw it up for all the other flyers in your area , as you and your plane's damage become the next reason of outrage at your town's next meeting . Think it can't happen ? Just ask the residents of Quincy Mass. how legal it is to fly RC there ........

Last edited by init4fun; 11-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Ya know , in all honesty , Im not some old killjoy (or buzzkill or whatever) so get that right out of your thoughts . I do know that the very next major city next to Boston , Quincy Massachusetts , has a city ordinance against the flying of any remote controlled aircraft within the city limits from about the 1970s on right through to today . The reason for the ban is unknown to me but I always figured someone musta done something pretty dumb with one to have made that be the rulemaking agenda at the next city meeting . And that was way back then ! I can easily see in those videos all kinds of people and reasons why I wouldn't fly where you are and believe me if that RC link fails at the wrong time and you create a wreck on one of those roads or hit a pedestrian near one of the many buildings not only will you bear the trouble of the law but you'll screw it up for all the other flyers in your area , as you and your plane's damage become the next reason of outrage at your town's next meeting . Think it can't happen ? Just ask the residents of Quincy Mass. how legal it is to fly RC there ........
Which video is it that people see flying over roads and property? I do not see anything in the last two video's, though one may have crossed over a service road. By service road I mean one that is not driven over by anybody but the green keeper or maintenance people. Which obviously had no vehicles early in the morning. Maybe some have not flown in an airplane, but if you see a road in your windscreen you are not over it or even close. You have to look out your side window and look straight down. It looked like he mostly kept the plane over the park, though maybe strayed out for a short time. I bet we have all done that a thousand times without even knowing we had strayed out over other property.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Maximilionalpha

yea I flew around farmland all flat lol once you go out you see the same thing plus I'm by the airforce base no fly zone and I'm afraid if I fly too high they might come after me. 400' isnt that high I guess the grass is greener on the other side. Mainly if it ever goes down here miles away ppl might not like it.
Forgot that McGuire afb, was still opened. Thought years ago, that had been changed over to a prison?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Sport, This person is flying directly over buildings, highways, Freeways and unprotected people. the video shows that clearly. Yes he has a wide angle lense on the camera, This Sir is exactly what this thread is about. Oh, I know mr Super MAX will contribute to defending his stupid actions, but never the less, he will keep doing it, regardless. This is the type of person that, will ruin this hobby by actions just like this. Some other posters asking how far, how high can he fly? That is the main point of this discussion. They also will contribute to distruction of this hobby when a Fatality happens. It will happen sooner or later, just wait
Old 11-17-2014, 05:37 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Sport, This person is flying directly over buildings, highways, Freeways and unprotected people. the video shows that clearly. Yes he has a wide angle lense on the camera, This Sir is exactly what this thread is about. Oh, I know mr Super MAX will contribute to defending his stupid actions, but never the less, he will keep doing it, regardless. This is the type of person that, will ruin this hobby by actions just like this. Some other posters asking how far, how high can he fly? That is the main point of this discussion. They also will contribute to distruction of this hobby when a Fatality happens. It will happen sooner or later, just wait
You realize that full size airplanes fly over your head everyday right? There have been R/C related fatalities already. The one I remember off the the top of my memory is a guy got his skull sliced open by an R/C Helicopter a few years ago. Compared to a gaint scale gasoline plane or a nitro helicopter the amount of damage Max's styrofoam glider can do is very small.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-17-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:39 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flying over the ocean or gulf can get the DEA's attention, not to mention other law enforcement.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
I decided to watch the videos myself...seemed consistent with typical park/school yard flying to me. I didn't see anything that made me think he was trying to be reckless...

Just wondering, is it park flying that you are against??? or what...as this wasn't an FPV video...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
binns aero

Just crawled out from under the bed thought it was safe. Hope they don't turn this guy in! I still think the feds are on my trail after crasin my foamy into a seven-eyed purple striped salimander on state park property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.