Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 04-27-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by ira d
At the clubs I fly at it has been brought up at the meeting and from time to time there is discussion on the subject, But you are right most are unaware of the RCU chatter and would
rather just fly and be left alone.
Ira, that is part of the problem. Some members just pay their dues, don't care about rules, and don't follow the Safety part of those rules. They , maybe be unable to fly their airplanes if this kind of mentality continues, and more than likely it will, sad to say.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM
FLAPHappy

At the clubs I fly at it has been brought up at the meeting and from time to time there is discussion on the subject, But you are right most are unaware of the RCU chatter and would
rather just fly and be left alone.
Ira, that is part of the problem. Many members of any club don't like rules, much less obey them. That is the problem. Yes, they one day may be left alone, flying in a desert without the benefit of a Club or an AMA Membership. Yes, they will be alone alright, very alone.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
Sporty, read this link. it says 5 Miles from an airport. It also says not to fly above 400ft. So what is this clown doing at 1000-1200 ft altitude in an airport area?, Much less, what is he doing flying in a direct path of a landing zone for airliners??? Duh...... I just can not get the mentality of some people that consider their right to fly a drone, when it involves putting lives in danger, I just can't get that picture and never will. Those types of people will end this Hobby for sure unless they wake up.
The FAA also says don't fly recklessly you could be fined if you endanger people or other aircraft and I think the guy that is the topic of discussion should be fined if caught.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
Sporty, read this link. it says 5 Miles from an airport. It also says not to fly above 400ft. So what is this clown doing at 1000-1200 ft altitude in an airport area?, Much less, what is he doing flying in a direct path of a landing zone for airliners??? Duh...... I just can not get the mentality of some people that consider their right to fly a drone, when it involves putting lives in danger, I just can't get that picture and never will. Those types of people will end this Hobby for sure unless they wake up.
FLAPHappy:
Those types of people will end this Hobby for sure unless they wake up.

It's our duty to wake these people UP. Just for the reasons U state here. The discussion should be "What can we (responsible R/Cers) do to educate the ROUGE QUAD Pilot/Operator". I challenge every one visiting these Forums to talk to people U see with these R/C QUADS and talk to your LHS and people U Mail Order from and try to get them to warn buyers of "QUADS" that there proper Places to fly and where NOT to fly and Rules, Safety Code & FAR's that pertain to the flying of the "QUADS".
If we fail to distinguish our selves from the ROUGE QUAD guys we will suffer the rath of the FAA and these guys will be off to some other thrills.
JMHO of course.

anyone know how to turn on the Spell checker in GOOGLE CHROME
Old 04-27-2015, 04:16 PM
ira d

I would think as long as we don't interfere with full scale craft and follow AMA rules the FAA can not bother us or unleash their wrath. Is it not what the special rule the
AMA had congress pass all about?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM
HoundDog

I would think as long as we don't interfere with full scale craft and follow AMA rules the FAA can not bother us or unleash their wrath. Is it not what the special rule the
AMA had congress pass all about?
I'd hope U are right but if some Idiot ROUGE QUADER hits or kills some one on a maned airplane the FAA/NTSB ain't gona give a crap if it's some BOZO that never new he was in the wrong. They are going to come down on the Hobby/Sport as a whole ... #336 be damned. The only chance we have is if there is a wide spread knowledge that there are Rules, Safety Codes & FAR's that must be adheared to just as Traffic laws must be followed. If these are not followed it the Individuals responsibility not the R/C flying community at large. JMHO

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-27-2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not saying that the quad pilot was in the right, but per the AMA rule he is to be 400 feet if within 3 miles of an airport, but still should give way to aircraft. But part 91 also requires the jetliner to do the same. Are these pilots just cruising by the sUAV's with no effort ot avoid them, then complaining of a near miss they could have avoided? Both pilots should avoid the other, but the jet pilot is the professional.
A pilot should make every effort to see and avoid other aircraft where possible.

However, as any pilot knows, an object on a collision course will appear stationary in your window - if you are descending to land that would place it below the horizon and probably invisible against the backdrop until very close. You might only see it a few seconds before impact.

At that point - in the landing configuration - how quickly do you think an airliner can manoeuvre?

If they had collided who do you think would have been prosecuted? The Airline Pilot or the UAV operator?

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-27-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'd hope U are right but if some Idiot ROUGE QUADER hits or kills some one on a maned airplane the FAA/NTSB ain't gona give a crap if it's some BOZO that never new he was in the wrong. They are going to come down on the Hobby/Sport as a whole ... #336 be damned. The only chance we have is if there is a wide spread knowledge that there are Rules, Safety Codes & FAR's that must be adheared to just as Traffic laws must be followed. If these are not followed it the Individuals responsibility not the R/C flying community at large. JMHO
You may be right but at this point no one really knows. IMO if someone who is not a AMA member and not operating from a designated RC site causes a accident I don't see
where the FAA has a legal right to go after the RC community as a whole other than increased restrictions around airports.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

If they had collided who do you think would have been prosecuted? The Airline Pilot or the UAV operator?
Why would that even matter to dead people?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sporty, read this link. it says 5 Miles from an airport. It also says not to fly above 400ft
That is not regulation, but soon will be. Still the sUAV pilot should have stayed away from the airliner, but that is not my point. The airliner should also avoid the sUAV. So far they do not seem to be trying. Are they not worried about the sUAV?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 AM
Rob2160

Why would that even matter to dead people?
Obviously it wouldn't matter to them but you are not seeing the big picture. It would matter a great deal to the families of the victims and be a strong deterrent to a repeat incident.

Why did they keep hunting Nazi war criminals 20 years after they stopped killing people? Who did it matter to? Think about it.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 AM
HoundDog

You may be right but at this point no one really knows. IMO if someone who is not a AMA member and not operating from a designated RC site causes a accident I don't see
where the FAA has a legal right to go after the RC community as a whole other than increased restrictions around airports.
ira d:
Just like the IRS the FAA doesn't need to have the right They make the rules and they Like the IRS are Prosecuter, Judge & Jury. With the FAA/NTSB U are Guilty till U prove your Innocence. Belive me (Unless every one in the country knows there Traffic LAWs for DRONES) If there is a maned aircraft accident with the loss of life they will try to ban every thing at first. Ever here of an Emergancy AD find a critical nut or bolt broken on aome type plane and they ground everyone of that kind till they get inspected. Just think how NUTZ they and the Media will get if something terriable does happen. But then I hope I'm wrong and U are correct.
Anyone want to buy all the wings I have. Won't need'em Just wheels or some kind of Floats. They'll be big expensive ground or water R/C TOYs.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:05 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
A pilot should make every effort to see and avoid other aircraft where possible.

However, as any pilot knows, an object on a collision course will appear stationary in your window - if you are descending to land that would place it below the horizon and probably invisible against the backdrop until very close. You might only see it a few seconds before impact.

At that point - in the landing configuration - how quickly do you think an airliner can manoeuvre?

Good post

Yesterday I thought sport was saying the full scale had a rule based duty to cede the right of way to the quad , just because the quad was (supposedly) not breaking any rules . In other words the quad having as much right to the airspace as the full scale . Now that we have determined that notion to be mistaken it is clearly and dearly the sole responsibility of the quad as well as any other UAS to do nothing but stay out of the way of full scale . Not only does our own AMA say it , but even beyond the FAA there are now laws in place which make it a terroristic act to interfere with the flight of an aircraft ! I'm sure "they" know the difference between something nefarious and some idiot without the sense to not "play in traffic" but the point is that they already have a law for just about anything you could do to interfere with an aircraft in flight . Look at how much (deserved) trouble the goobers who point lasers at planes get into with the law . If you interfere enough and make enough a problem of yourself you will be dealt with by the law , of this I'm sure . Now , since none of US are that stupid to go chasing down jetliners with whatever RC we happen to fly , I expect to continue flying in the safe legal manner I always have and for the law to deal with those who don't .
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Obviously it wouldn't matter to them but you are not seeing the big picture. It would matter a great deal to the families of the victims and be a strong deterrent to a repeat incident.

Why did they keep hunting Nazi war criminals 20 years after they stopped killing people? Who did it matter to? Think about it.
If the full scale aircraft moves away from and impending mid air then there are no dead people to mourn. It would not matter who is at fault they would be dead if neither aircraft avoids the other.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yesterday I thought sport was saying the full scale had a rule based duty to cede the right of way to the quad.

The full scale aircraft has the right of way, but it also has the responsibility to see and avoid. When there is a mid air it is, to some extent, the fault of both pilots, not just the one who did not have right of way. So why are the airliners not trying to avoid the sUAV?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

As I see it now, nothing is going to change as far as how things are enforced until a commercial jet has to abort a landing while on final approach. Once that happens, you're going to see a major crack down on anything and everything that flies without an on-board pilot. I still think the way around the rules issue is to require those buying park flyers and quads to be forced to at least read the rules(or a synopsis there of) and sign a form verifying they have read and understand said rules before being allowed to make the purchase. By requiring the form to be sent to the FAA and/or AMA by the retailer, there will be a record of the purchase AND that the purchaser has knowledge that there are rules that must be followed. Then, if they break the rules, the "I didn't know" ploy won't fly and neither will they

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-28-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Rob2160

If the full scale aircraft moves away from and impending mid air then there are no dead people to mourn. It would not matter who is at fault they would be dead if neither aircraft avoids the other.
In theory this sounds good, I agree and can assure you that any decent pilot will do everything in his power to avoid a collision, including moving away from a potential risk.

I am not sure if you appreciate the limitations of manoeuvring a large aircraft quickly or sighting a small non moving object against a cluttered backdrop.

Try jumping in front of a speeding train. The driver will stop right? He will immediately hit the brakes of course.. Good luck with that.

300 tonnes of aircraft cannot change direction quickly.

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
As I see it now, nothing is going to change as far as how things are enforced until a commercial jet has to abort a landing while on final approach. Once that happens, you're going to see a major crack down on anything and everything that flies without an on-board pilot. I still think the way around the rules issue is to require those buying park flyers and quads to be forced to at least read the rules(or a synopsis there of) and sign a form verifying they have read and understand said rules before being allowed to make the purchase. By requiring the form to be sent to the FAA and/or AMA by the retailer, there will be a record of the purchase AND that the purchaser has knowledge that there are rules that must be followed. Then, if they break the rules, the "I didn't know" ploy won't fly and neither will they
Halleluiah Finally someone with some seance ... Now the problem is how to get Hobby King tower the LHS (Local Hobby Shop) to do some thing to assure that everyone takes the TEST and proves their knowledge Where, When & How these QUADS may be flown.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 PM
HoundDog

The full scale aircraft has the right of way, but it also has the responsibility to see and avoid. When there is a mid air it is, to some extent, the fault of both pilots, not just the one who did not have right of way. So why are the airliners not trying to avoid the sUAV?[/COLOR]
SPORT:
Watch this Bird Strike just at 18 seconds into the video ... how much time do U figure this guy at maybe 120 Mph in a 2800 Lb Cherokee had to "See & Avoid". Now think about 300k to a 500k air liner at 160 kts.
That's If the guy in the left seat isn't on the Gages hand flying to minimums.

Google Bird Strikes or check it out on U-Tube there's lots and none could have been avoided by the pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDWCDnXZ2k

This one is a whole second from spot to the hit. U really think a pilot could avoid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpz261mU2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPoFH5ON_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0G1bPjoiJM
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM
ira d

Halleluiah Finally someone with some seance ... Now the problem is how to get Hobby King tower the LHS (Local Hobby Shop) to do some thing to assure that everyone takes the TEST and proves their knowledge Where, When & How these QUADS may be flown.
If you require the registration of quads you would have to do it for all rc craft. I don't think model registration is entirely a bad idea and at some point it may come to that but
it will have to be the FAA to set something like that up IMO.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=ira d;12030547]If you require the registration of quads you would have to do it for all rc craft. I don't think model registration is entirely a bad idea and at some point it may come to that but
it will have to be the FAA to set something like that up IMO.
/QUOTE]
ira d:
Where do U see anything about "REGISTRATION" of TOY airplanes in this or any of my posts. I said people should have to take a computer "TEST" to prove they know the RULE and when, where & how to fly our R/C TOY's Including QUADS. PERIOD.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just to be clear, I didn't say anything about tests in my last post, just that the purchaser must be required to read the rules and sign a form stating they understood the rules before completing the purchase.
In the 11 hours since I made that post, I went into a Hobbytown USA and found that the franchise I went to is handing out fliers with an overview of the rule with every flying model purchase as well as to anyone that wants a copy. What I was told is that the fliers were supplied by a local AMA official so, with that in mind, at least someone is trying to take proactive steps in the right direction
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I got it, I got it!!! Jumping up and down raising my hand... the government should just give everyone an IQ test...then enumerate what it is we can do...

Seriously, anyone so stupid they need to be told what, when and where and can't even figure out how to keep our little toys from interfering with full scale ops should just be shot...because they are too stupid to even read and comprehend...

Ooops...sorry, back to utopia planning... Man has the answer to the problems he created...
Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

IQ tests are an indicator of intelligence, what's missing is common sense. As far as I know, there's no test that can give an indication of how much sense someone might/might not have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.