Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airport's 7.2 miles away from me and the pilots tend to seldom fly over in this direction. When they do, I just don't fly on those days. I generally fly early in the mornings, or later in the afternoons. That way, I avoid any potential conflicts with the occasional small aircraft. It's safer, flying where I fly now, then what it was when I used to fly at my local clubs flying field. Which was just on the other side of the mountain, from the airport. As far as the helicopter goes...it doesn't come anywhere near this park. In the videos where you can see the far ends of the farm fields, well, that's the closest the life flight heli, ever comes over and that's once, maybe, twice a month(don't ask me why). Other then that, it comes and goes, towards the NE, of the hospital.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rrembert
Max...how do you insure no conflicts with potential air traffic using the airport (Mifflin Co.) that is 7 road miles (as the Google flies) from Lewisburg. More importantly how do you insure separation from traffic at the Lewistown Hospital Heliport? If you use either the above mean sea level, or above ground level altimetry numbers you posted, it seems you are in a bad place for at the very least helicopter traffic.
He would simply collapse his antenna, jump in his car and hope that no one reports him.
That's how he would "maintain his separation"....lol.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by combatpigg
He would simply collapse his antenna, jump in his car and hope that no one reports him.
That's how he would "maintain his separation"....lol.
That's funny!!! ) Collapse what antenna?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
You are correct, they always could say no, even with the three mile guideline. Did they ever? But, the real question is, will they? I don't have to wear a tinfoil cap to know that "no" will occur very rarely if at all and there will always be a good reason.
The airport had no say under the three mile advisory but I suppose they could have made a case to the FAA if they had a valid reason to do so. But under the new proposed
rule the airport can shut down any RC activity within five miles without a valid reason, To me its a whole different thing that the FAA wants to do.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:15 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
If I'm not mistaken, but, Mr. Vallet used a very large sailplane with solar cells on it;s wings and he also used high powered binoculars, to aid in his spotting.
No solar cells on his plane.

What type of altimeter did you say you were using?

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16072-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2046263  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

My next to ,final attempt at climbing to over 3,000 feet +! 2015, will be the final year for my Naked-Eye, High Altitude flights, when I will attempt to climb to 3,500 ft AGL. That's been my goal from the start and I've got lots of other Radian flyers, trying to keep up with me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJXtFQ2TsMY

You Sir is what this thread is about. Keep it up and you will ruin this hobby for all of us. How would you feel if your glider happened to hit a real aircraft, people killed in a crash because you are bragging about flying at 3000 ft altitude? You are not very smart in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 AM
FLAPHappy

So you are still trying out your failed mind reading act? The interpretive rule gives no indication that the FAA wants all airports to shut down nearby model aviation airfields. The only restriction that the FAA has stated is that of endangering the NAS. They clearly state that, if model aviation conducts itself according to the AMA, or other CBO, safety guidelines, there is no reason to restrict model airplane operations.
John: How about the guy that is clearly violating the AMA Safety Code, bragging about flying at 3000 ft altitude. This is the type of person that will cause the FAA to clamp down with more regulations and end the Model aircraft flying period for everyone If they clearly violate the altitude restriction of 400 FT by the AMA and FAA. What will happen?.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
N410DC

The airport's 7.2 miles away from me and the pilots tend to seldom fly over in this direction. When they do, I just don't fly on those days. I generally fly early in the mornings, or later in the afternoons. That way, I avoid any potential conflicts with the occasional small aircraft. . . .
So, you do admit that airplanes and helicopters do fly in the airspace you fly in. How can you be 100% certain that aircraft will not be in the airspace when you fly?

It's safer, flying where I fly now, then what it was when I used to fly at my local clubs flying field. Which was just on the other side of the mountain, from the airport. As far as the helicopter goes...it doesn't come anywhere near this park. In the videos where you can see the far ends of the farm fields, well, that's the closest the life flight heli, ever comes over and that's once, maybe, twice a month(don't ask me why). Other then that, it comes and goes, towards the NE, of the hospital.
So, there is no chance that the LifeFlight heli may need to land near you to pick up an patient? These choppers may need to land or take off from anywhere.The last one I saw was in the middle of a farmer's field, picking up a child who had been in an ATV accident.

What would you do if an aircraft were on a 150 knot collision course with your glider? Keep in mind would not even see the aircraft until it was within seconds of collision. You might not even be able to see it at all, given the fact that it's over a half mile in the air.

Do you have a handheld VHF transceiver to communicate with aircraft? If not, do you at least have a scanner that allows you to listen to position reports and ATV conversations from aircraft in the vicinity? These are the kinds of questions the FAA and and federal prosecutor may ask if there is an incident.

I agree with FLAPHappy. The FAA is going after modelers because of people like you. I hope you do not kill anyone. If you do, God forbid, don't as any of us to back you up. Indeed, there are scores of responsible, experienced, and respected modelers out there would would happily testify against you as expert witnesses.The AMA and FAA are on opposite side of many issues, but they are united against your practices.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
FLAPHappy

My next to ,final attempt at climbing to over 3,000 feet +! 2015, will be the final year for my Naked-Eye, High Altitude flights, when I will attempt to climb to 3,500 ft AGL. That's been my goal from the start and I've got lots of other Radian flyers, trying to keep up with me!
You better read this:http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 AM
FLAPHappy

ANd you should read this and comply. https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Maximilionalpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOcFP3_TAA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbu053qOl8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrNDX_NSP4
Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
No solar cells on his plane.

What type of altimeter did you say you were using?

Frank
Eagletree Altitude Microsensor V4
Old 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
John: How about the guy that is clearly violating the AMA Safety Code, bragging about flying at 3000 ft altitude. This is the type of person that will cause the FAA to clamp down with more regulations and end the Model aircraft flying period for everyone If they clearly violate the altitude restriction of 400 FT by the AMA and FAA. What will happen?.
All this guy wants to do is stick it in our faces with his ignorant antics and false world record claims plus he doesn't even know how to properly measure altitude.

Frank
Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Maximilionalpha

All this guy wants to do is stick it in our faces with his ignorant antics and false world record claims plus he doesn't even know how to properly measure altitude.

Frank
And how does one come to assume ​such a thing???
Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 AM
bradpaul

So from the previous comments it looks like the nanny nanny crowd not want's to add glider flying over 400' to the ban list along with FPV........................... got to keep model aviation safe for the pattern flyers.

Somehow the thermal soaring and slope soaring guys might take exception. The only difference between Maximillionalpha and the rest of the thermal soaring flyers flying every day is he has a video camera on the glider.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 AM
phlpsfrnk

And how does one come to assume ​such a thing???
What are you using to measure 32,000 feet AGL?

Frank
Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Maximilionalpha

What are you using to measure 32,000 feet AGL?

Frank
Don't tell me, that you actually believed that video to be of my Radian to be 32,000 feet, up on it's own, did you??? Turn up your volume when you're watching that video..lol It's meant for ****s and giggles!
My family and I were flying to Florida, on a commercial jet.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by bradpaul
So from the previous comments it looks like the nanny nanny crowd not want's to add glider flying over 400' to the ban list along with FPV........................... got to keep model aviation safe for the pattern flyers.

Somehow the thermal soaring and slope soaring guys might take exception. The only difference between Maximillionalpha and the rest of the thermal soaring flyers flying every day is he has a video camera on the glider.
You can really get upset with them,bradpaul..when I was a member at the local flying club, I noticed how a lot of the older flyers, wouldn't fly any higher than 200 feet(if that high) To me, that just like playing with a small helium filled balloon, on a 12 foot string above my head. But I did come to find out why they wouldn't/couldn't fly any higher...One day I had my glider up at 400 feet and one of the other pilots, pointed up at a commercial jetliner and said, "Boy, does he have that thing up there"! ??? So, I decided that it was best to fly somewhere safer!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
phlpsfrnk

Don't tell me, that you actually believed that video to be of my Radian to be 32,000 feet, up on it's own, did you??? Turn up your volume when you're watching that video..lol It's meant for ****s and giggles!
My family and I were flying to Florida, on a commercial jet.
Still not answering the question. What are you using to measure 3,057 feet AGL?

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2046332  
Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
The airport had no say under the three mile advisory but I suppose they could have made a case to the FAA if they had a valid reason to do so. But under the new proposed
rule the airport can shut down any RC activity within five miles without a valid reason, To me its a whole different thing that the FAA wants to do.
That is a crock, if an airport wanted a field shut down they could do it in a heart beat. Don't tell me that they had no say.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Maximilionalpha

Still not answering the question. What are you using to measure 3,057 feet AGL?

Frank
If you'd take the time to read, ALL, of the posts, then you'd find that your question was already answered..
Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
If law enforcement or the FAA can, they will track him down and fine him, or worse. Good riddance to a jerk if you ask me.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Maximilionalpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVoovoO3SoU
Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM
phlpsfrnk

If you'd take the time to read, ALL, of the posts, then you'd find that your question was already answered..
Max,
I have read all your posts in this thread and you have not explained here how you are getting your AGL readings. If you have explained it elsewhere then please provide a link. Do you even know the difference between AGL and MSL and how they are measured?

Frank
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM
bradpaul

If law enforcement or the FAA can, they will track him down and fine him, or worse. Good riddance to a jerk if you ask me.
John other than AC 91-57 (advisory only), could you please show me where in the AMA Safety Code, the FAA Re authorization Law and the FAA Interpretation where there is a absolute cap of 400' in any airspace class of the NAS other then the AMA Safety Code restriction of 3 miles from a airport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.