Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Oh! He meant press release. Why didn't he say so?

Actually, it is almost good news for us. They make it clear that they will honor section 336 to the fullest. The only remaining issue is getting them to revise some of the onerous issues in the interpretation. To me, those are the FPV restriction, for those that fly FPV by AMA rules, and the commercial use issue for the model plane industry, demonstrating their toys..
No, I mean the call. The audio of it is available to listen to.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

AMA Releases Statement on the FAA’s Notice of Proposed Rule Making for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

MUNCIE, Ind. The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), the world’s largest model aviation association, today released the following statement in response to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems released by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). “While we have not yet fully reviewed the proposed rule, we are pleased to see the FAA has concluded that regulations relating to the commercial use of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) should not apply to the longstanding, educational hobby of flying model aircraft. These are two very different activities, and Congress appropriately made clear in 2012 that model aircraft should be exempt from federal regulation. The AMA will review the proposed rule in more detail to ensure that the rights and privileges of the model aircraft community are upheld. “As the nationwide community-based organization for the recreational and personal use of sUAS, the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) has created relevant safety guidelines, best practices and operating principles that have allowed enthusiasts to operate their aircraft and safely use this technology for more than seven decades. “AMA’s 78 years of experience in managing and overseeing the operation of model aircraft shows that a voluntary, community-based approach to managing this activity is far more effective in ensuring enthusiasts operate their aircraft in a safe and responsible manner. “To this end the AMA has joined with the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the Small UAV Coalition and other members of the small UAS and hobby industry in launching the “Know Before You Fly” campaign. This educational outreach has been widely accepted and heralded as a beneficial and effective means of educating the new sUAS enthusiasts and addressing inappropriate or improper use of this technology. “AMA is committed to preserving the safe, enjoyable and educational hobby of flying model aircraft – without the need for unnecessary, onerous and burdensome government regulations.”
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
No, I mean the call. The audio of it is available to listen to.
That's OK, I found the press release and read all of the associated documents. Definitely good news for hobbyists.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:46 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the "drone" was veeeery close to the pilot's eyes, he would have no idea of its actual size ... save for supposition.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's OK, I found the press release and read all of the associated documents. Definitely good news for hobbyists.
Yup...very good news.

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
Unless the "drone" was veeeery close to the pilot's eyes, he would have no idea of its actual size ... save for supposition.
i think most pilots are familiar with this units now, at least the the more popular "commerically available" ones
Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 AM
TimJ

And everyone thought the sky was falling and our hobby was coming to an end because of "drones". Nothing else to argue about now. LOL
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by TimJ
And everyone thought the sky was falling and our hobby was coming to an end because of "drones". Nothing else to argue about now. LOL
It would seem that way. :-)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

You will lose that bet.

Johnny Baby:
How else are they going to get people to fly where and How they are permitted if they don't have the knowledge of even a drivers license about Flying R/C ... It's a moot point cause the public is going to get bored with them just like fomies
Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by handyman
as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......been in the hobby for over 40 yrs and would like to see 50 yrs of enjoyment.......but its got to stop now,people who sell these things and the people who use them.........or better yet who misuse them it needs to stop today....we will all be hurt over a few who dont care and only look at what they want to do.....the clubs should out law these things and the hobby shops who sell them should stop......what is going to happen is someone is gooding kill someone and the FAA will ground all of us.i say we stop it befor it gets to that point........big hobby supplyers should wait up and understand that is going on...lets put a stop to this today befor its to late..............
What the hell is a "Drome"..??
Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Johnny Baby:
How else are they going to get people to fly where and How they are permitted if they don't have the knowledge of even a drivers license about Flying R/C ... It's a moot point cause the public is going to get bored with them just like fomies
So, are you going to administer the testing? The FAA says they won't do it, because the law says that they can't. And, we know for certain that no one can be forced to join a CBO.

And, you are correct, fomies and hexadecacopters are just a fad. It will fade soon, just like pet rocks and hula hoops.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 AM
cj_rumley

So, are you going to administer the testing? The FAA says they won't do it, because the law says that they can't. And, we know for certain that no one can be forced to join a CBO.

And, you are correct, fomies and hexadecacopters are just a fad. It will fade soon, just like pet rocks and hula hoops.
FAA will administer the testing for certification of commercial operators. The CBO thing was stillborn, but AMA won't let it die. It is true that no one can be forced to join a CBO; that is plainly un-American to anyone who's eyes are not glazed over by some pipe dream of revenue generation it would create. If, in the most extreme unlikelihood, FAA were to grant AMA monopoly concession to sell any fraction of the freedom to fly a model airplane, one would have the option of obtaining commercial certification instead of buying recreational use permission from AMA.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
GerKonig

Yeah, I remember that! they said the same of our "dangerous" 1/4 scale models:-)

Gerry
Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Yeah, I remember that! they said the same of our "dangerous" 1/4 scale models:-)

Gerry
Yup! You may be right, they said the same thing about wheels.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
FAA will administer the testing for certification of commercial operators. The CBO thing was stillborn, but AMA won't let it die. It is true that no one can be forced to join a CBO; that is plainly un-American to anyone who's eyes are not glazed over by some pipe dream of revenue generation it would create. If, in the most extreme unlikelihood, FAA were to grant AMA monopoly concession to sell any fraction of the freedom to fly a model airplane, one would have the option of obtaining commercial certification instead of buying recreational use permission from AMA.

The FAA has said, in writing, (Read the proposed rule if you don't believe me) that they will not regulate model aviation as defined by section 336. The FAA, in their interpretative rule, clearly recognizes AMA rules and programs so the CBO thing is alive and well. And, you are very correct, the FAA cannot, under any circumstances, force anybody to join a club. They will, however, punish anybody caught violating the existing FAA aviation regulations.

If you really want to enjoy your privilege to fly model airplanes, just stay under the radar by following the very reasonable AMA safety rules.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM
cj_rumley

The FAA has said, in writing, (Read the proposed rule if you don't believe me) that they will not regulate model aviation as defined by section 336. The FAA, in their interpretative rule, clearly recognizes AMA rules and programs so the CBO thing is alive and well. And, you are very correct, the FAA cannot, under any circumstances, force anybody to join a club. They will, however, punish anybody caught violating the existing FAA aviation regulations.

If you really want to enjoy your privilege to fly model airplanes, just stay under the radar by following the very reasonable AMA safety rules.
I thought I made it clear that I was addressing the "CBO aka AMA membership required to participate in CBO aka AMA programming (a condition imposed to operate within the authorization of section 336)" issue, the position taken by AMA. AMA is taking that position even though they agreed in the FAA/AMA MoA to put safety guidance information on their website and open to to the public.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:44 PM
JohnShe

I thought I made it clear that I was addressing the "CBO aka AMA membership required to participate in CBO aka AMA programming (a condition imposed to operate within the authorization of section 336)" issue, the position taken by AMA. AMA is taking that position even though they agreed in the FAA/AMA MoA to put safety guidance information on their website and open to to the public.
We are getting mixed signals here. If you are referring to AMA sponsored or sanctioned events, then yes, you must be an AMA member to participate. But, this has nothing to do with section 336. Section 336 specifically states that we must follow the safety guidelines of a CBO. It does not require membership. The reference to programming is for the 55 pound rule waiver or other such program waivers. You must be a member of the AMA for those waivers to apply when you participate in AMA programs. However, if you stay under the radar and don't do anything really stupid you can slip by those restrictions. Just remember, that the FAA will hang you by the balls if you interfere with the NAS and are caught.

Last edited by JohnShe; 02-16-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 PM
cj_rumley

We are getting mixed signals here. If you are referring to AMA sponsored or sanctioned events, then yes, you must be an AMA member to participate. But, this has nothing to do with section 336. Section 336 specifically states that we must follow the safety guidelines of a CBO. It does not require membership. The reference to programming is for the 55 pound rule waiver or other such program waivers. You must be a member of the AMA for those waivers to apply when you participate in AMA programs. However, if you stay under the radar and don't do anything really stupid you can slip by those restrictions. Just remember, that the FAA will hang you by the balls if you interfere with the NAS and are caught.
You may be getting mixed signals, I'm not. I'm not referring to AMA sponsored or sanctioned events. I specifically stated there is disagreement between AMA's intent and FAA's interpretation of what "CBO programming" is. We have had this discussion before, and I'm done trying to explain to you. The Q is, "does a modeller meet the condition of operating within the "programming of a CBO" as specified in section 336 as a condition for exemption from regulation by FAA?" Ask AMA, not me.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:06 PM
TimJ

You may be getting mixed signals, I'm not. I'm not referring to AMA sponsored or sanctioned events. I specifically stated there is disagreement between AMA's intent and FAA's interpretation of what "CBO programming" is. We have had this discussion before, and I'm done trying to explain to you. The Q is, "does a modeller meet the condition of operating within the "programming of a CBO" as specified in section 336 as a condition for exemption from regulation by FAA?" Ask AMA, not me.

You do not have to be an AMA member to fly model aircraft for recreational purposes. If you do not want to fly under the umbrella of the AMA, you need to read www.knowbeforeyoufly.org and follow those set of guidlines, which suggests that you should follow safety guidelines such as the AMA's safety guidelines.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM
bradpaul

You do not have to be an AMA member to fly model aircraft for recreational purposes. If you do not want to fly under the umbrella of the AMA, you need to read www.knowbeforeyoufly.org and follow those set of guidlines, which suggests that you should follow safety guidelines such as the AMA's safety guidelines.
That IS NOT THE POSITION OF THE AMA. From the October 11, 2113 EC MEETING

FAA/Gov’t Relations
R. Hanson noted we are probably in our most complex, convoluted point that we have ever been in, in the last 6 years in terms of what is going on with the FAA and how it may or may not impact model aircraft. He is eternally optimistic that this will all shake out exactly as we expected it to; which is that model aircraft will continue to operate much like they do today.

Since the July Council meeting: The public comment period on the Interpretive Rule has ended; there were over 32,000 comments that were collected and tallied on the regulation.gov web site, and more could have been mailed, faxed and hand-delivered. In talking with EAA and others, this was a phenomenal amount of comments for a policy push. AMA has partnered well with EAA and the relationship seems to be getting better. They commented in AMA’s favor on the Interpretive Rule and submitted an extensive document. Just recently AMA returned the favor and submitted comment relating to a policy issue that deals with federally obligated airports.

Council had a conference call regarding filing a petition within the 60-day deadline (August 23rd), asking the courts to review an official action by a regulatory agency. Hanson noted that two other entities also filed petitions; a university group and an industry group. The courts stated that since they are all dealing with the same subject matter, they were going to treat it as one court issue.Council was informed that the FAA cancelled Advisory Circular 91-57. They have been working on a new replacement advisory circular that would reconcile the differences between the old 91-57 and Section 336. Hanson was surprised that they did not have a new one in place before they cancelled 91-57. For modelers, this means there are two ways they can operate, under 336 which means you must be an AMA member, or by filing a CFR. Hanson believes we (AMA) will get to see the new AC before it is final; he expects it will be a reconciliation of AC 91-57, Section 336 and the Interpretive Rule. The new AC could go out to comment, but it is not required. The message we need to convey to our members is they should follow the AMA Safety Code.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM
cj_rumley

Being an AMA AVP doesn't mean you speak for AMA, Tim. Cite Bob Brown or Rich Hanson saying that. What does "fly under the umbrella of the AMA" mean? Are you equating that to "within the programming of a CBO?"

Simple Yes or No: Does AMA hold the position that Sect 336 only applies to CBO members? Provide citations for your answer.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 02-16-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: AVP vs DVP
Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM
JohnShe

Being an AMA AVP doesn't mean you speak for AMA, Tim. Cite Bob Brown or Rich Hanson saying that. What does "fly under the umbrella of the AMA" mean? Are you equating that to "within the programming of a CBO?"

Simple Yes or No: Does AMA hold the position that Sect 336 only applies to CBO members? Provide citations for your answer.
I don't give a flying phooie what the AMA says. The FAA says, in their interpretation of section 336, that you only have to follow the safety guidelines of a CBO and stay out of the NAS. And, they have repeated that exact same sentiment in their proposed rule for commercial UAS. And, also, the www.knowbeforeyoufly.org says exactly the same thing.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
That IS NOT THE POSITION OF THE AMA. From the October 11, 2113 EC MEETING
Hanson is dead wrong.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM
cj_rumley

Hanson is dead wrong.
Hanson is dead wrong about AMA's position? Yeah...right. Good night, JS.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

All of U that bad mouth the AMA don't need to belong to an Origination U do not like. I definitely believe that those that Bad moth the AMA should give up their AMA member ship and be refused Renewal next January 1. If U don't believe in what an organization is doing than why in the world would U want to be part of it ...
Especially if U are not required to belong.
JMHO
Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 PM
JohnShe

Hanson is dead wrong about AMA's position? Yeah...right. Good night, JS.
Alright the AMA position that Hanson speaks for is dead wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.