Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

No1 sin I would say is Bad Mouthing the CBO that charters your field ... the AMA.
Follow your god however you wish...I've not bad mouthed any of your gods...just have a hard time understanding the desire of some fanatic religious followers to take the position of killing infidels.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
smeckert

10,000 rounds! You should learn to keep your eyes open!
Unless you are blind, then I apologize, that comment was just rude of me.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
littlecrankshaf

What do U care if the AMA is trying to expand it's ranks it can only be good for U Me the hobby and all the people that have any responsible thing to do with RC flying in general. People should be licensed to fly RC. These things are dangerous they can "KILL" when used incorrectly. If people had to be licensed to fly and pass a knowledge test 99.999% of our problem would be MOOT.
What U fail understand is that if it were not for the efforts of the AMA for 75+ years R/C wouldn't be where it is today. Also U have a fishing licence to fish and Hunt, a drivers licence to ride a car cycle a licence to fly ... why not either have a licence to fly R/C anyplace but a CBO chartered field. Anyone wanting to fly OFF THE RESERVATION (CBO FIELD) should prove that they possess the Knowledge and the skills to fly anything they intend to fly where they intend to fly it..

In New Zeland they fly out to 4 KMs with no problems all RC flies under 400foot in New Zeland. They also I BELIEVE must belong to their equivalent of our AMA and if with 5 miles/kms of an air port hold a special certificate from their (AMA).

Any New Zelanders out that can enlighten us.
yea...and there are people that will buy Volvo...
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Follow your god however you wish...I've not bad mouthed any of your gods...just have a hard time understanding the desire of some fanatic religious followers to take the position of killing infidels.
O'l Cranky:
I'm with U 110% but not getting Political HONEST donnie man if the world doesn't stop'em they will execute every one but their own believers. That's what they profess. Nuff Said. But as fa as god's are considered, the one's I fear the most are the R/C gods that pick those airplane numbers...U know the ones that cause our airplane to find the inside of a garbage bag. LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
littlecrankshaf

O'l Cranky:
I'm with U 110% but not getting Political HONEST donnie man if the world doesn't stop'em they will execute every one but their own believers. That's what they profess. Nuff Said. But as fa as god's are considered, the one's I fear the most are the R/C gods that pick those airplane numbers...U know the ones that cause our airplane to find the inside of a garbage bag. LOL
HoundDog,

You are an asset to AMA and should be very proud...as they should likewise be proud to have you. You, more than anyone I can remember, epetomizes what the AMAish philosophy stands for...Job well done!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
HoundDog

HoundDog,

You are an asset to AMA and should be very proud...as they should likewise be proud to have you. You, more than anyone I can remember, epetomizes what the AMAish philosophy stands for...Job well done!
littlecrankshaf:
I just can't understand why anyone would want to belong to any organization with wich they so vehemently dis agree. U don't suppose they are just joiners so they have a place to fly. Hipo-crits I'd say. Now if they were trying to in realty participate and have constructive criticizem that's different but I don't believe that. JMHO as always
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
bradpaul

Default Give it up drones (even dromes) are here to stay

When they reach the level to be part of automobile commercials they are not going away. The FAA knows this as does the AMA. Just love the spoof of Alfred Hitchcock s' "The Birds" and Amazons drone delivery plan.. Kudos to AUDI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcV71liAMwc

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-06-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bradpaul
When they reach the level to be part of automobile commercials they are not going away. The FAA knows this as does the AMA. Just love the spoof of Alfred Hitchcock s' "The Birds" and Amazons drone delivery plan.. Kudos to AUDI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcV71liAMwc

B.P. U hit the Nail square on the Head. People that fly real R/C will get board with the Quads per say.
Just like Fomeys and Most Hovering type 3D planes. Remember when Fomies and 3D planes just
made the runway congested. Most are gone now at the fields I frequent anyway.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i dont know what to say about the drones i dont have one dont want one maybe stop buying things from places who sell them tell the stores u wont shop any more till they stop selling them i just dont know
Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
JerryEl

Originally Posted by smithcreek
Throwing the "you are wrong" crap in your posts just makes you look like more of an idiot than the content of the rest of your posts, so you may want to lay off. I specifically said if the AMA wants to get involved with and advocate for drones fine, but the first thing they should do is get the FAA to recognize line of sight flying rc planes and helicopters as a separate category.

When all this started the AMA made the choice to exclude anything but FPV with a second pilot on a buddy box. So at the point the AMA felt it was perfectly fine to throw all the other people flying outside that definition "under the bus" precisely because they felt being associated with drones and the people flying them threatened our hobby. The AMA understood that many of the people buying these things have no training, no experience and by simple statistics a large percentage will have no common sense. The AMA was smart enough to recognize a recipe for disaster when it saw it, but later they realized how many people were buying these things and changed their decision in order to sign them up as dues paying members. In fact they are lobbying to make it a law that anyone flying one MUST join a recognized CBO, ie. the AMA. I think, even if the AMA can get the regulations they are hoping for at first, down the road things will change as more and more idiots get these things and do stupid things with them. If the AMA does not make it clear now that rc flying and drones are two distinct categories we will all pay the price when the regulations are tightened.
I think they've made it perfectly clear the differences. But we are ALL members and multicopters are the fastest growing number of new members. How can you say this is bad when they stress the common sense "rules" of safe flying to the newbies? I've been involved with RC models for over 45 years and just recently got a quadcopter. Why? Because they are fun and easy to fly due to my physical disabilities, plus my old age and what comes with that.

Because I no longer fly RC fixed wing (may get an FPV powered Glider kit) or single rotor aircraft you think I should be banned from the AMA? Get real dude, multicopters are here to stay, thousands are sold monthly in the U.S. and just like when other new products came out like jets, RTF, and FPV many of the long time members moaned and complained about that. Changing times requires changing minds.

Last edited by JerryEl; 03-06-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i dont know what to say about the drones i dont have one dont want one maybe stop buying things from places who sell them tell the stores u wont shop any more till they stop selling them i just dont know
Good plan...since every self-respecting hobby retailer I know sells Quads...
Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone remember the "Zagi" flying wing? They sold a hundred thousand of them one year, then a year later they literally couldn't give them away. The company that made them went bankrupt and several of the copy-cat sellers lost their shirts as well. Commercial uses aside, the recreational quad is a fad.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by jrf
Anyone remember the "Zagi" flying wing? They sold a hundred thousand of them one year, then a year later they literally couldn't give them away. The company that made them went bankrupt and several of the copy-cat sellers lost their shirts as well. Commercial uses aside, the recreational quad is a fad.
Good point. You may be right about it being a fad...but fad or not, just another in a long line of enjoyable toys we are lucky to have.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jrf
Exactly ... Then just like Fomies were and 3D hovering over the runway. But I think that those flyers that have been flying for 30+ years and those that will just never have the skill required to fly a kite, should embrace this Technology for their fixed wing flying with return to home and auto land .... Can't wait till the pattern guys and IMAC all have GPS an Auto Pilots and the contest is who can program the auto pilot the best. A little far fetched but then GPS and return self flying Drones were far fetched a few years ago. When Helicopters started U had to fly them now they have so many gyros and other advancements they are almost fun to fly.

There is a faction out there that "If I Don't Do It, Nobody should be allowed to."
Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM
GerKonig

Good point. You may be right about it being a fad...but fad or not, just another in a long line of enjoyable toys we are lucky to have.
Very well said. You pointed to a "sector" of the industry, the toys. But we need regulations for all the commercial applications, from people that will lift Nikons and Canons to shoot videos and pictures of real estate, to the police, and newscasters (every news van will have one or two). I just got my first big drone job (hurrah), and this is of a very advanced nature MALE RPAS (or Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS). No, Tower will never stock those, nor will you be able to afford one:-)

So, there are many segments to this. When we started with giant scale aircraft, for some, the sky was falling, then ARFs came along, 3D came along, same thing, then foamies, then electrics, There are a lot of folks that are afraid of change... And change can be good or bad, but there is one thing you cannot do: stop change. It is the human fabric.

And this "drone" thing believe me, it will be worth billions, and a booster for the economy in a very short period of time. While most cannot see this, it boomed in the military market:-)

Gerry
PS: and I still fly giant scale, others stil fly zaggis (not many), others 3d, others free flight and rubber power, and U control. As I said things change... But some people are still shooting 35mm for fun. I still have my 35mm nikons, I know I can do back and shoot some film anytime. Things rarely disappear entirely...

Last edited by GerKonig; 03-07-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by JerryEl
I think they've made it perfectly clear the differences. But we are ALL members and multicopters are the fastest growing number of new members. How can you say this is bad when they stress the common sense "rules" of safe flying to the newbies?

Because I no longer fly RC fixed wing (may get an FPV powered Glider kit) or single rotor aircraft you think I should be banned from the AMA?
Where did I say that they should be banned from the AMA? In the post you quoted I explicitly wrote: "I specifically said if the AMA wants to get involved with and advocate for drones fine..." It's funny how people can read so much into something that's not there or right in front of their eyes. Personally I think drones are very cool. I don't have one only because I have enough toys and interests already. Pretty sure if I had one I would want to do some of the things I'm not supposed to though according to the new regs.

As a hobby, rc flying has existed for decades without drawing attention to itself, and for good reason. We were just a bunch of dorky guys out in a field playing with our toys. We were, in general, only a safety risk to ourselves like most other activities. Drones obviously do attract a huge amount of attention and the way many people fly them they a safety issue and public image nightmare. The likelihood that in the future more and more laws are passed at every level to limit drones is serious. If rc planes operating under line of sight rules are lumped in with drones you can bet a lot of those rules and regulations will impact rc plane flyers. I for one don't want to register my planes or get a license to fly. I strongly disagree with anyone that views that as reasonable. We're talking about toys, not passenger carrying motor vehicles. Just wait until you tell a new person interested in rc they have to go to the state licensing department to get an rc license and register the foamy they just bought before they can fly at your field.

Just a couple years ago when all this started the AMA recognized the difference between models flown in the line of sight were different enough that they lobbied for different rules. When they saw the number of people buying drones they decided that getting new AMA members was the most important outcome, so they switched positions. They stopped lobbying for a different set of rules.

This also reminds me of the AMA effort to recruit park flyers a few years back. Without a mandate from the state requiring anyone that buys a quad copter to join a CBO like the AMA, why would they? So they can fly their quad copter over the same runway time after time? Not gonna happen. Even if some people do join, a significant number of them are going to do what they want and fly where and when they want. Just because the AMA takes their money and sends them a email link to the safety rules won't make them safer.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

RC flies under 400foot in New Zeland.
You can be sure that all RC does not fly under 400 feet. Even if they tried they are not required to have altimeters so you can be sure that many are flying over 400 feet.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by smithcreek
Where did I say that they should be banned from the AMA? In the post you quoted I explicitly wrote: "I specifically said if the AMA wants to get involved with and advocate for drones fine..." It's funny how people can read so much into something that's not there or right in front of their eyes. Personally I think drones are very cool. I don't have one only because I have enough toys and interests already. Pretty sure if I had one I would want to do some of the things I'm not supposed to though according to the new regs.

As a hobby, rc flying has existed for decades without drawing attention to itself, and for good reason. We were just a bunch of dorky guys out in a field playing with our toys. We were, in general, only a safety risk to ourselves like most other activities. Drones obviously do attract a huge amount of attention and the way many people fly them they a safety issue and public image nightmare. The likelihood that in the future more and more laws are passed at every level to limit drones is serious. If rc planes operating under line of sight rules are lumped in with drones you can bet a lot of those rules and regulations will impact rc plane flyers. I for one don't want to register my planes or get a license to fly. I strongly disagree with anyone that views that as reasonable. We're talking about toys, not passenger carrying motor vehicles. Just wait until you tell a new person interested in rc they have to go to the state licensing department to get an rc license and register the foamy they just bought before they can fly at your field.

Just a couple years ago when all this started the AMA recognized the difference between models flown in the line of sight were different enough that they lobbied for different rules. When they saw the number of people buying drones they decided that getting new AMA members was the most important outcome, so they switched positions. They stopped lobbying for a different set of rules.

This also reminds me of the AMA effort to recruit park flyers a few years back. Without a mandate from the state requiring anyone that buys a quad copter to join a CBO like the AMA, why would they? So they can fly their quad copter over the same runway time after time? Not gonna happen. Even if some people do join, a significant number of them are going to do what they want and fly where and when they want. Just because the AMA takes their money and sends them a email link to the safety rules won't make them safer.
Please say you will submit comments on the sUAS NPRM that reflect what you posted.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:34 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Well with the vast number of nearly self flying machines being sold the crap is going to continue. But it is mostly idiots and non AMA in my opinion. The media is feeding on it some what. An example is not many mention the quad that dumped itself on the White House lawn was owned by a government employee. This is hearsay as well.
Personally I can't wait for delivery drones to bring me free equipment......now where did I put the butterfly net?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Please say you will submit comments on the sUAS NPRM that reflect what you posted.
CJ, I have read and reread the sUAS NPRM, I am personally quite satisfied that it has no negative effect on us recreational flyers. However, I could be wrong. So, would you please clue me in to your concerns with the rule. I suppose, I could write a comment supporting it, but that would be superfluous, to my way of thinking.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:43 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by OzMo
Well with the vast number of nearly self flying machines being sold the crap is going to continue. But it is mostly idiots and non AMA in my opinion. The media is feeding on it some what. An example is not many mention the quad that dumped itself on the White House lawn was owned by a government employee. This is hearsay as well.
Personally I can't wait for delivery drones to bring me free equipment......now where did I put the butterfly net?
Agree that it's mostly fools that are grabbing media attention, but not that it has anything to do with whether or not they are AMA members. AMA demonstrably agrees (but argues otherwise) that there is no discernible difference in the safety record set by the general population of modelers and AMA members, as in their argument for CBO control of modeling they cited the record set by all modelers, because they could not demonstrate that the subset of AMA members were any better as regards safety. If AMA had any influence on the safety record set by all, 90% of the total that are not AMA members and have been kicked to the curb by AMA must have felt AMA influence by some mechanism other than membership in AMA, say by osmosis.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by JohnShe
CJ, I have read and reread the sUAS NPRM, I am personally quite satisfied that it has no negative effect on us recreational flyers. However, I could be wrong. So, would you please clue me in to your concerns with the rule. I suppose, I could write a comment supporting it, but that would be superfluous, to my way of thinking.
I wonder if you read on p. 46
Because of the statutory prohibition on FAA rulemaking regarding model aircraft
that meet the above criteria, model aircraft meeting these criteria would not be subject to
the provisions of proposed part 107. Likewise, operators of model aircraft excepted from
part 107 by the statute would not need to hold an unmanned aircraft operator’s certificate
with a small UAS rating. However, the FAA emphasizes that because the prohibition on
rulemaking in section 336 of Public Law 112-95 is limited to model aircraft that meet all of
the above statutory criteria, model aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds that fail to meet all
of the statutory criteria would be subject to proposed part 107
Now if in saying "........ it has no negative effect on us recreational flyers" you equate "us" to mean $$AMA members as it often appears you do, that might be correct until $$AMA exploits the expanded grip of their monopoly. I don't disregard the huge majority of modelers that choose not to belong to $$AMA as insignificant, so "us" means something different to me, and the highlighted part of above paragraph totally sucks. Some jerks at FAA are in a sandbox spat with some jerks at $$AMA over who has the bigger p****es, and modelers are left to wonder if said jerks will ever get down to business and how the fallout will affect them.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 03-07-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 PM
JohnShe

Now if in saying "........ it has no negative effect on us recreational flyers" you equate "us" to mean $$AMA members as it often appears you do, that might be correct until $$AMA exploits the expanded grip of their monopoly. I don't disregard the huge majority of modelers that choose not to belong to $$AMA as insignificant, so "us" means something different to me, and the highlighted part of above paragraph totally sucks. Some jerks at FAA are in a sandbox spat with some jerks at $$AMA over who has the bigger p****es, and modelers are left to wonder if said jerks will ever get down to business and how the fallout will affect them.
Well, it's a shame, you are reading far more into it than it says. Nobody can be forced to join the AMA, all you have to do is fly safely. People who can't do that deserve what happens to them.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 PM
cj_rumley

What part of "would be subject to proposed part 107" did you not understand?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:02 PM
JohnShe

What part of "would be subject to proposed part 107" did you not understand?
What part of "However, the FAA emphasizes that because the prohibition on rulemaking in section 336 of Public Law 112-95 is limited to model aircraft that meet all of the above statutory criteria," did you not understand?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.