Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Our language is filled with mis used terms. Why should this issue be any different?

Rifle/gun
Motor/engine
Democracy/Constitutional republic

As a pro wood worker, specific terms to my industry are used wrong constantly. Can have profound negative quality effects. Not thinking anything will change soon.

Rifle/gun A rifle is a type of gun, rarely misused.
Motor/engine Both are actually the same thing, Confusion started when electrical industry used motor. Rarely misused but often accused of misuse.
Democracy/Constitutional republic. Bingo, on that I agree.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Never happen O'B don't like Guns ....
I thought that was his point!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Rifle/gun A rifle is a type of gun, rarely misused.
Motor/engine Both are actually the same thing, Confusion started when electrical industry used motor. Rarely misused but often accused of misuse.
Democracy/Constitutional republic. Bingo, on that I agree.
An honest understanding of the differences are rare. When used correctly, it is almost by accident. : )
Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

[QUOTE=vertical grimmace;11973444]An honest understanding of the differences are rare. When used correctly, it is almost by accident. : )[/QUOTEI

I do not know which you are referring to but motor and engine are synonyms. I believe most people know a rifle is a gun with a spiral grooved barrel.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 AM
vertical grimmace

[QUOTE=Sport_Pilot;11973654]
An honest understanding of the differences are rare. When used correctly, it is almost by accident. : )[/QUOTEI

I do not know which you are referring to but motor and engine are synonyms. I believe most people know a rifle is a gun with a spiral grooved barrel.

Ask 20 people what makes a rifle a rifle and a gun a gun, and most would get it wrong.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=vertical grimmace;11973668]
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

Ask 20 people what makes a rifle a rifle and a gun a gun, and most would get it wrong.
What difference does it make? The firearm is whatever one needs or has available or throws it away. In any count, it is best to do the trigger-pulling from the back.
Way back when AMA stuff was not much of a rule making thing, and I was living NW of Chicago-Land, I belonged to a club that leased farmland for our RC.
In the winter we sometimes, when the snow was too deep to enjoy flying, there were some of us that went out with some old hand-launch machine , a 22. rifle/gun/etc. and a bottle of Jack Daniels to help warmth, and shot at the model as one flew it over, low and no houses for several miles over the farmland.
Sometimes a .22 pistol, sometimes a .22 rifle, er, was that a gun or maybe a Shot-Gun when we used .22 rat-shot, either in the pistol, er gun, er whatever your protocol required such requirement being understood better and better as the bottle of Jack had less and less fluid in it.
While our terms may well have been less than proper, we darn sure had a good time.

Some years ago I was getting my deer stand ready for the next hunt a week or so away. I left my "rifle" in the truck. I had no luck that day, and had to catch a plane to Chicago that night. I did want a doe that day. While messing around the stand, my eyes caught a movement down a fence line. There she was looking at me about 30 yards away. I did have my long barrel .44 magnum Revolver, Six Gun, ??? on my hip. One shot did the trick. Field dressed, drove the 2 hour back to Houston, everything into the freezer, did my flying out of ORD, came back several days later and had some good biscuits and back-strap. What kind of firearm did I use???
Did I call it correctly? After a good lunch, I headed for the RC Field. Must have been O.K. whatever I used!!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM
vertical grimmace

SO then there is no reason to get worked up over the mis-use of the word drone? I always thought a drone was an un maned, remotely piloted target. Something that airplanes and missiles practiced to shoot down.

It only matters in so much as it does.

If an employee edgebands 300 cabinet shelves on the "end", instead of the "edge", it just cost somebody a ton of money. And possibly the poor fool his job for not knowing the difference.

Sorry, but my job make me a stickler for terms and definitions. Otherwise, things get done wrong.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rasZzenuYxI&feature=endscreen
Originally Posted by TimJ
So all the old schools guy can give up and go back to chasing off the neighborhood kids from their lawns.........
My dog keeps them off my lawn or brings back whats left of them :-) I seen a couple of guys here in this new thread but they are not sharing it here :-( lol http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...-aircraft.html

Last edited by joebahl; 01-31-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by joebahl
[video=youtube;raszzenuyxi my dog keeps them off my lawn or brings back whats left of them :-) i seen a couple of guys here in this new thread but they are not sharing it here :-( lol [url]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11611753-faa-enrolls-state-local-law-enforcement-curb-uas-model-aircraft.html[/url]

[attach=config]2069380[/attach]

woof
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	woof.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2069380  
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by porcia83

woof
Nice looks like it could eat itself . lol
Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

haha....what a totally bizzare looking creature.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Half dachshund and half pit bull?[h=2][/h]
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

SO then there is no reason to get worked up over the mis-use of the word drone? I always thought a drone was an un maned, remotely piloted target. Something that airplanes and missiles practiced to shoot down.

It only matters in so much as it does.

If an employee edgebands 300 cabinet shelves on the "end", instead of the "edge", it just cost somebody a ton of money. And possibly the poor fool his job for not knowing the difference.

Sorry, but my job make me a stickler for terms and definitions. Otherwise, things get done wrong.
Drone From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[TABLE="class: mbox-small plainlinks"]
[TR]
[TD="class: mbox-image"][/TD]
[TD="class: mbox-text plainlist"]Look up drone in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Drone may refer to:
[h=2]Contents[/h]

[h=2]Nature[/h] [h=2]Vehicles[/h] [h=2]Chemicals[/h] A slang term for Mephedrone
[h=2]Literature[/h]
  • Drone, a member of the Drones Club in P. G. Wodehouse's novels
  • Drones, intelligent machines in The Culture
[h=2]Entertainment[/h] [h=2]Music[/h] [h=2]Places[/h] [TABLE="class: metadata plainlinks dmbox dmbox-disambig"]
[TR]
[TD="class: mbox-text"]This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Drone.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Categories:

[h=2]Navigation menu[/h]

Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

yup... part of a story that went viral this week. Guess the dog was put up for adoption for some reason, and the pic was posted and off it went!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:45 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by porcia83
yup... part of a story that went viral this week. Guess the dog was put up for adoption for some reason, and the pic was posted and off it went!
P
fffffft i got a rescue pup uglyer than that .The one in the background guards the lawn and this one they think is nuts ,and it is :-) joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scruffster.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2069395  
Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM
vertical grimmace

Drone From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[TABLE="class: mbox-small plainlinks"]
[TR]
[TD="class: mbox-text plainlist"]Look up drone in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Drone may refer to:
Contents

Nature

Vehicles

Chemicals

A slang term for Mephedrone
Literature

• Drone, a member of the Drones Club in P. G. Wodehouse's novels
  • Drones, intelligent machines in The Culture
Entertainment

Music

Places

[TABLE="class: metadata plainlinks dmbox dmbox-disambig"]
[TR]
[TD="class: mbox-text"]This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Drone.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Categories:

Navigation menu

Honestly, I am not too worked up over the terms used here. I just do not want our hobby to be adversely effected by what is going on. It is too late anyway, as the words being used are ingrained in the pop culture's vernacular. No turning that back. I just hope the boring circle flyers are not grouped in with the people causing the problem. Any distinction between the 2 is just too complicated for the media, or society to discern. So, the boring circle flyers are most likely to be effected, whether they are a real threat or not. Such is life. It is not fair.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by joebahl
P
fffffft i got a rescue pup uglyer than that .The one in the background guards the lawn and this one they think is nuts ,and it is :-) joe
He'll suck ya in with those eyes and then...CHOMP!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM
joebahl

We had just lost a full size 17 year old DOB from cancer and our groomer called to see if my soft ars would take her(scruffster) from the pound that was going to give it the needle in a couple days . Those eyes hooked me in and she has it made now .lol One of the smartest dogs i have ever owned and can learn a new trick in 10 minutes and remember it. joe
Old 01-31-2015, 04:17 PM
ath5774

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is evident here; the news media's ability to "program" prejudious by using inflammatory terminology. Each here vibrates their programmed prejudious as the news media "strums" the daily news events of the day. It's insanely effective!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:01 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ath5774
What is evident here; the news media's ability to "program" prejudious by using inflammatory terminology. Each here vibrates their programmed prejudious as the news media "strums" the daily news events of the day. It's insanely effective!
Haven't heard a word on he news in a week about the white house drome

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-31-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 PM
vertical grimmace

I have not either, I do not watch the news. I am not worried about the effects of the news on me, I am worried about the effects on everyone else. As the majority (paying attention to the news reports), are the ones that will make uninformed laws that will effect me or us.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Haven't heard a word on he news about the white house drome
You will...but after he leaves office...
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 AM
bradpaul

I heard the White House incident was another "DJI flyaway" This is from a DJI seller trying to explain how to avoid fly aways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq53i1wlQb0#t=24 Why does the drone industry not recognize that the GPS autonomous flight, return to home electronics are not safe?

The drone industry is about one fly away that causes serious injury from a lawsuit. Of course most are protected by being in China.

If I flew a drone and caused any damage to people or property the explanation would be that I lost control and it flew away.

The bigger question is why does the RC industry overwhelmingly promote drones to be used for photography in close proximity to people knowing that the electronics are not safe?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bradpaul
I heard the White House incident was another "DJI flyaway" This is from a DJI seller trying to explain how to avoid fly aways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq53i1wlQb0#t=24 Why does the drone industry not recognize that the GPS autonomous flight, return to home electronics are not safe?

The drone industry is about one fly away that causes serious injury from a lawsuit. Of course most are protected by being in China.

If I flew a drone and caused any damage to people or property the explanation would be that I lost control and it flew away.

The bigger question is why does the RC industry overwhelmingly promote drones to be used for photography in close proximity to people knowing that the electronics are not safe?

Same thing with that Apprentice with the safe technology ... So many different set up with the different Spectrum radios (A problem in them selves) U never know what that thing is going to do.

I do use it when starting with a new student that way they learn where I want them to fly and what the plane looks like around the pattern and they don't have to worry about controlling the plane just get the Idea where they are to fly and keep it in the same county.I make my students turn the junk off and learn to fly not drive.
p.s. 3 channel U put the Rudder on the rudder channel not the Ailerons ... No wonder there so many people that don't know what a rudder is for. I know guys been flying RC for 40 years and their first comment when U tell them that their cub is skidding around a turn, that they should us rudder in the turn.... Their comment "Don't need no stinken rudde , Just on the ground to line it up the gyro does a good job. Ever notice thet these guys do a lot of the crashing too? JMHO
Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 AM
joebahl

Same thing with that Apprentice with the safe technology ... So many different set up with the different Spectrum radios (A problem in them selves) U never know what that thing is going to do.

I do use it when starting with a new student that way they learn where I want them to fly and what the plane looks like around the pattern and they don't have to worry about controlling the plane just get the Idea where they are to fly and keep it in the same county.I make my students turn the junk off and learn to fly not drive.
p.s. 3 channel U put the Rudder on the rudder channel not the Ailerons ... No wonder there so many people that don't know what a rudder is for. I know guys been flying RC for 40 years and their first comment when U tell them that their cub is skidding around a turn, that they should us rudder in the turn.... Their comment "Don't need no stinken rudde , Just on the ground to line it up the gyro does a good job. Ever notice thet these guys do a lot of the crashing too? JMHO
Dont know why you keep saying its the older guys crashing .lol i have only crashed one in 30 years now . Missed judged the tree line and worst of all was comming around for a news paper photo shot when i sifted it through the trees . Anyways !there are plenty of young bucks who in there head think they can fly better than they really can and bury their planes hard trying to prove it .lol joe

Last edited by joebahl; 02-01-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.