Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That was not the point. The fact that it remains means the AMA should represent it, not through it on the trash heap.

I didn't say they should throw it on the trash heap. However, like many things in life the most popular things get the most attention.

Most of those guys are dead, other have picked it up.

Got numbers?

This is an almost hostile answer. I never said that you must enjoy an new technology. In fact I was claiming people are still enjoying the old ones. Yet you try to turn that around on me.

Hostile? Please.
Above in red.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rcmiket;12121566]
Originally Posted by porcia83

Maybe "built" was the wrong word but I sure you got what I was getting at.

Mike
I took you at your choice of words, assuming that's how you felt about it. fwiw I do believe people have that exact thought, that the organization is required to be one thing, at a given point in time, and then stay that way. It's their opinion so it's no right or wrong, I just don't happen to feel that way.

Obviously being member driven organization the "members" are a driving force to it's success. The leadership however is that part of the org that is elected to positions to make decisions that are to the benefit of the whole group, and I think they have done that (both now, and working up to now).
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/02/tech...ery/index.html

Guess they have an optimistic outlook on how things will work out. 2 years.....seem ambitious.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:11 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I don't. I don't see this as purely a money grab, perhaps it's the rose colored lenses, or I'm just not that cynical. I think it's about membership.
IMHO it is the AMA elected officers' duty to LISTEN to it's membership and execute and operate on their behalf. It is the MEMBERS' duty to actively promote interest in and grow the membership.

Without the CURRENT members, the elected officers would be looking for a different job.

Porcia, can you explain your statement, "I think it's about the membership."? I don't understand the assumption that MORE MEMBERS = BETTER? What is your take on that?

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-02-2015, 03:15 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
He was elected into that position by the membership.
Elected to listen to and represent them.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:48 PM
astrohog

If you don't see MR and quads as a game changer in the model aviation realm, your just missing the big picture. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but from a purely objective standpoint, it just is. Can you point to anything else in this hobby that has had this effect on model building and aviation?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I think there is only one, maybe two, people here that have singled MR and quads out as game changers. In reality, it is drones that are changing the game, and they are certainly NOT model aviation, although they ARE affecting model aviation.

I'm sure there is a faction (size unknown) of folks who just long for the good 'ol days of scratch-building their P-51s and Cubs and heading down to the field to fly their racetrack pattern, then call it a day. No foamies, no helis, no 3D, and most of all no quads. Oh if only the hobby and the AMA could keep it that way. Folks crave black and white definitions, simplicity even, and that subset probably abhors change. Oh well, thems the breaks, because this hobby has evolved over 70 plus years and will continue to.
I like how you make those "traditional" modelers that have enjoyed their hobby in peace for many years out to be a, "subset" that, "probably abhors change". I can tell you that they probably DO abhor the fact that they may have to register their scratch-built P-51's and Cubs (nice stereotype, BTW!) with the FAA because the "evolved" flyers are flying drones whenever and wherever they please! LOL

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	victor_hugo_act_47.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2128808  
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog

Exactly. I might add that all this stuff came about during his term as president. If his current take on drones was on his campaign statement last election he might be our current president. We'll never know will we.

Mike
Old 11-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Exactly. I might add that all this stuff came about during his term as president. If his current take on drones was on his campaign statement last election he might be our current president. We'll never know will we.

Mike
I guess that "might" keep you up at night.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
That's what they do. You can run and do the same thing.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Exactly. I might add that all this stuff came about during his term as president.
So what does the timing have to do with anything? Not sure what the take is on that? This issue was coming up regardless as to who was in the position.
If his current take on drones was on his campaign statement last election he might be our current president. We'll never know will we.

See below

Mike
Where you involved with the AMA when he ran for office? Did you read his campaign statement, if so did you agree with it? If not, did you question him about it? It's been about 4 years now, here's what he said in part right after being elected:

“I will endeavor to earn the support of all our members,” said Brown, who assumes the presidency immediately because it was vacated earlier this year by current AMA Executive Director Dave Mathewson. “It’s a high honor. I look to continue the governing philosophy and success Dave had as president. There is much to do in 2012, so it’s time for all of us in AMA leadership to roll up our sleeves and bring increased value to AMA membership.”

On the Academy’s near-term agenda are pending federal regulations affecting aeromodeling, something that has been in the works for more than three years and looks to be coming to a conclusion in the next few months......."

Interesting enough, even going to back to 2009 and 2010 people were doing the chicken little routine about the hobby being ruined and coming to an end. Not much has changed. Also interesting to note about 15% of the membership voted in that election. Hardly representative of the membership, as was the 2013 election of districts viii Mark Johnson with 561 votes. That district has 5 states...and less than 570 people voted.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

That's what they do. You can run and do the same thing.
Clearly you are missing the point, if they don't listen to what ONE person wants, they aren't listening. To some it's about what THEY want, how THEY feel. If a couple of people agree with them, this is extrapolated out to many many people agreeing with them, and when things don't go their way, they cannot understand why. Must be because ONE person wasn't listening to them. Actually, at least ONE person did agree, the AVP for Xl voted no, as did 5 others. But 6 voted yes, and then Brown broke the tie. Soo close! This naturally leads to the conclusion that their leaders weren't listening. All the leaders must vote the same way, otherwise they aren't listening. See now?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the world of the american modeler's apathy towards his/hers membership body.
it aint pretty, but it is what makes the AMA go, if ya can call what the AMA is doing as going.
my own personal thoughts are something to the effect that, if no one can gin up enough interest to get even 20-25% of the membership to vote, then the organization should be folded, and forgotten. because,as demonstrated by the low turnout, no one really cares anyway.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
the world of the american modeler's apathy towards his/hers membership body.
it aint pretty, but it is what makes the AMA go, if ya can call what the AMA is doing as going.
my own personal thoughts are something to the effect that, if no one can gin up enough interest to get even 20-25% of the membership to vote, then the organization should be folded, and forgotten. because,as demonstrated by the low turnout, no one really cares anyway.
Can a case be made that the membership is o/k with the way it's going, if it can be called "going" ? I suppose some of the voter turn out is apathy, but it might just be that people are o/k with who is in the position (take the 561 votes referenced above". Some of the VP numbers were seriously low though. Then again, just over 50% of eligible voters went to the national polls in 2012..and that was just a little more serious than this.

I'll posture that the majority of the membership hasn't seen a significant change in the way they have operated over the past 5 years, and might not see any significant changes coming that would make them sit up and get more involved. Not unlike how clubs run now too....sadly (sometimes).
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 PM
astrohog

Clearly you are missing the point, if they don't listen to what ONE person wants, they aren't listening. To some it's about what THEY want, how THEY feel. If a couple of people agree with them, this is extrapolated out to many many people agreeing with them, and when things don't go their way, they cannot understand why. Must be because ONE person wasn't listening to them. Actually, at least ONE person did agree, the AVP for Xl voted no, as did 5 others. But 6 voted yes, and then Brown broke the tie. Soo close! This naturally leads to the conclusion that their leaders weren't listening. All the leaders must vote the same way, otherwise they aren't listening. See now?
Up to your old tricks I see!

YOU are the only person saying this! Way to spin and twist others' opinions into this abomination!

It is clear by your posts that those that don't agree with you.....are clearly......WRONG!

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-02-2015, 07:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://discoverflight.org/

Looks like this went out a couple of weeks ago, guess we're at 187,000 members now. Well produced video, nicely done. Not a drone or MR to be seen too! Ha!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 PM
astrohog

Can a case be made that the membership is o/k with the way it's going, if it can be called "going" ?
Not without facts to support it.

I suppose some of the voter turn out is apathy, but it might just be that people are o/k with who is in the position (take the 561 votes referenced above". Some of the VP numbers were seriously low though. Then again, just over 50% of eligible voters went to the national polls in 2012..and that was just a little more serious than this.
Is this what you believe? That the low turnout is due to the majority agreeing with the direction the current leadership is taking?

I'll posture that the majority of the membership hasn't seen a significant change in the way they have operated over the past 5 years, and might not see any significant changes coming that would make them sit up and get more involved. Not unlike how clubs run now too....sadly (sometimes).
I'll posture that we will see a significant increase in voter turnout in the next elections.
I'll also posture that if there is a modeler that doesn't see any significant changes coming that would make them sit up and get more involved, that the reason for that is that their heart has stopped beating and they have gone deaf and blind!

We do agree on one point, though; it is SAD at how little the average AMA or club member participates in their respective club/organization. I do believe that is human nature and I hope that will change when their freedoms are threatened (sad that it has to come to that, but better late than never!).

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 PM
astrohog

http://discoverflight.org/

Looks like this went out a couple of weeks ago, guess we're at 187,000 members now. Well produced video, nicely done. Not a drone or MR to be seen too! Ha!
I wonder why drones/MR wouldn't be more prominent in this video? After all, the AMA is making a concerted effort (and spending ALOT of $$) to embrace those enthusiasts. It almost seems as though they want to portray "flight" in a more "traditional" way, doesn't it?

BTW, you missed the MR (drone?) at the :33 mark.

Astro
Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Just remember fellas:

United we stand divided we fall.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 AM
rcmiket

Where you involved with the AMA when he ran for office? Did you read his campaign statement, if so did you agree with it? If not, did you question him about it? It's been about 4 years now, here's what he said in part right after being elected:.
This whole deal with the drones has happened over the last 2 years during his watch and was not even on the radar when his term started and not mentioned anywhere. I see no "increased value" just added expense.

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 04:38 AM
rcmiket

I guess that "might" keep you up at night.
Not at all but thanks for asking.

Mike.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 AM
HoundDog

Where you involved with the AMA when he ran for office? Did you read his campaign statement, if so did you agree with it? If not, did you question him about it? It's been about 4 years now, here's what he said in part right after being elected:.

This whole deal with the drones has happened over the last 2 years during his watch and was not even on the radar when his term started and not mentioned anywhere. I see no "increased value" just added expense.

Mike
Yes it started a couple of years ago and manifested into the Quagmire it has today. But to Blame any one person or even an inanimate object for the poor judgement at best or down right disregard for the rules and FAR's or common sense, is just wrong. i.e. "Bush Did IT" as Not Political but just an example.
My Opinion (FOR what that may or may not be worth) the real problem caused a bad situation to escalate into whet we are confronting today. That is When the AMA went to congress to get #336 added to the
FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF2012, Basically telling the FAA how to do their job and the FAA telling congress U can tell us what to do but not "HOW" to do it. Consequently Changing the whole meaning of #336 with the FAA's interpretation of Congress legislation. Maybe if and just maybe if the whole #336 had simply said the FAA had no jurisdiction over model "TOY" airplanes and left it at that we might not be facing the WRATH of the FAA today, even with the Perceived DRONE chrises. The FAA might have been inclined to go after the Offenders in Lieu of a blanket policy to Register all TOY model airplanes. Who knows it's very Possibly too late now. So if U haven't yet commented to the FAA "Get'er Done" as Larry the Cable Guy says. The Consequences of INACTION just may be the end of our Hobby/Sport as we know it
Just as a side note, I still have a set of lines, handle, and 4 U control planes hanging on the basement wall. I'll be flying something, even if I have to get a swivel chair.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 AM
rcmiket

I do not blame Brown for the situation although I do question his thinking ( along with the rest of the EC) on the handling of the situation. Were "all in" now and I doubt it will work out as they envisioned.

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 AM
rcmiket

"while the number of members may be increasing, the member revenue is flat (a result of discounts, etc.);"

From the July EC minutes. Can anyone explain in layman's terms how membership is increasing but revenue is flat?

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 AM
HoundDog

I do not blame Brown for the situation although I do question his thinking ( along with the rest of the EC) on the handling of the situation. Were "all in" now and I doubt it will work out as they envisioned.

Mike
Mikey:
See my post directly before this one Post #1596 It says exactly what U are saying/Eluding to.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

"while the number of members may be increasing, the member revenue is flat (a result of discounts, etc.);"

From the July EC minutes. Can anyone explain in layman's terms how membership is increasing but revenue is flat?

Mike
one possible way, the vast majority of the new members are free juniors, with the rest of the dollar lag being the 2 year discounted memberships.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.