Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
oh good lord you are not paying "extra".....no more than I am paying extra. Let's just both go there and fly at the darn field so we can get our moneys worth!
I don't see it that way but what else is new. It's freaking cold there. It's nice here. This is the reason I picked this part of the country to live in. I have never used ( or plan to use ) the site.

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 11:26 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That response is simply unacceptable. There are some flying fields in major cities in the US. Seems unlikely they were unable to locate a field in what appears to be farm country.

I've seen plenty of instances where modelers are unwilling to go out of there way to find a field and this sounds like one of them.
You clearly don't understand crop dusting and the extent to which it happens on large (1,000 acres plus) farms in parts of country. Even when they're transiting, they stayed below 500' so as to not conflict with high speed jet traffic coming into / departing the military airspace. As for people in the club unwilling to contact landowners, that's pure conjecture on your part and just plain wrong as well. We contacted every major land owner within 20 miles...either they were not willing to give up money making farm land, unwilling to risk wayward models crashing into their dairy stockyards, or if they had land that wasn't used for farming, they were unwilling to assume the risk of conflict with the crop dusters. Even when we offered the world renown AMA site owner's insurance, they were unimpressed. One said "I might consider it if the liability limit was ten times that, but what you're showing me is nothing compared to the value of my business - which they could go after once the liability limit is breached...I'm not willing to risk it."
Old 11-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
You clearly don't understand crop dusting and the extent to which it happens on large (1,000 acres plus) farms in parts of country. Even when they're transiting, they stayed below 500' so as to not conflict with high speed jet traffic coming into / departing the military airspace. As for people in the club unwilling to contact landowners, that's pure conjecture on your part and just plain wrong as well. We contacted every major land owner within 20 miles...either they were not willing to give up money making farm land, unwilling to risk wayward models crashing into their dairy stockyards, or if they had land that wasn't used for farming, they were unwilling to assume the risk of conflict with the crop dusters. Even when we offered the world renown AMA site owner's insurance, they were unimpressed. One said "I might consider it if the liability limit was ten times that, but what you're showing me is nothing compared to the value of my business - which they could go after once the liability limit is breached...I'm not willing to risk it."
There are two clubs with flying fields in NYC. You clearly don't understand the power to succeed.

It is what it is. Some clubs succeed, some don't.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
All I said was since only current a AMA member has access to Muncie than there is a fee (your 75.00 dues) to use it. Nowhere did I mention access to any other club sites did I? Now in my case I pay my AMA dues and do not have access to the Muncie site due to my proximity to the site. So in my case I am paying "extra " for a site I cannot use since my dues support it.

Mike.
Are you getting 100% ROI on your car insurance and homeowner's insurance? You watch cable and use the Internet 24x7 so get you 100% on those services as well?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:46 AM
franklin_m

There are two clubs with flying fields in NYC. You clearly don't understand the power to succeed.

It is what it is. Some clubs succeed, some don't.
And that's because the landowners agreed to allow them to use the land. If you've literally spoken to every private land owner with suitable space in a 20 mile radius, and every one of them tells you "no" for the reasons stated earlier (primarily liability w/ respect to crop dusting operations)...

Oh brilliant one...what exactly would you do? Clearly you have some special super power to make people agree to give you land when they don't want to do it.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:56 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

And that's because the landowners agreed to allow them to use the land. If you've literally spoken to every private land owner with suitable space in a 20 mile radius, and every one of them tells you "no" for the reasons stated earlier (primarily liability w/ respect to crop dusting operations)...

Oh brilliant one...what exactly would you do? Clearly you have some special super power to make people agree to give you land when they don't want to do it.
Who was it that once said "While the limits of your sarcasm know no bounds".........

I think Chris just asked nicely, probably said Please. And thank you.

Meant to add you clearly tried everything you could to get a place to fly, and it didn't work out, but at least you tried. I see the farmers position, and yours as well. Again, there seems to be some jist that the AMA is at fault here, even that there coverage wasn't enough for some farmers...but the reality is sometimes there just isn't going to be a place for a field. Some members of our club drive two hours to get here because they don't have a field suitable to their needs where they live. It sucks, but it happens. AMA can't make it all "right", all the time.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-22-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
rcmiket

Are you getting 100% ROI on your car insurance and homeowner's insurance? You watch cable and use the Internet 24x7 so get you 100% on those services as well?
Sure do both my car and home insurance are in effect 24/7. My water ,gas and electricity also. My internet .cable and cell service are all at my disposal 24/7 too.

Next question.

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Sure do both my car and home insurance are in effect 24/7. My water ,gas and electricity also. My internet .cable and cell service are all at my disposal 24/7 too.

Next question.

Mike
Your AMA is in effect 24/7 too...no matter where you fly. And all for $75.00.....such a deal !!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I would have consulted with local girl scouts for advice and recommendations on having a bake sale in order to raise the (mysterious and unknown) amount requested in the application you submitted to the AMA for a flying site grant.

You did submit an application and received a denial in writing, right?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So, just to confirm the ridiculousness here. From the flying site grant program:

"Recipients of this grant will be announced May the first of each year and it may be up to10% of the total improvement cost to the maximum of $3,000"

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...s-Policies.pdf

I'm having a hard time believing you were planning a $30k project in order to receive the $3,000 maximum. Now, even if you were requesting the $3,000 maximum, you already stated the club had 30 members. Now, even though your request was denied by the, 30 members x $100 would equal the $3,000 the AMA would have provided. Now, you're telling me the 30 members couldn't come up with or raise $100 each? $100! There's a hell of a lot clubs in this country with dues >= $100. Even if they are already paying dues a $100 special assessment to move the field, save the club, and continue to enjoy the hobby doesn't seem excessive to me.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:49 PM
franklin_m

Meant to add you clearly tried everything you could to get a place to fly, and it didn't work out, but at least you tried. I see the farmers position, and yours as well. Again, there seems to be some jist that the AMA is at fault here, even that there coverage wasn't enough for some farmers...but the reality is sometimes there just isn't going to be a place for a field. Some members of our club drive two hours to get here because they don't have a field suitable to their needs where they live. It sucks, but it happens. AMA can't make it all "right", all the time.
This discussion was all in the context of what we did to try and get a field and AMA wouldn't help unless it was open to all AMA members...a non-starter so far as access to the military installation. I find issue with that because at the time AMA was trying to get more members, and this would have tapped into military families and single Sailors. But AMA couldn't get past the "all AMA members" thing -- despite tolerating any number of clubs that don't allow any AMA member to fly (pg 132 of October MA as citation).

As for saying please and thank you, of course we did that. What Chris doesn't seem to understand is that you can't sprinkle fairy dust on things to resolve them. I'm sure his two cited clubs in NYC have substantial operational restrictions, hours, etc. and are impacted by TFRs very time the Yankees play, the Mets play, the Jets play, the Giants play, anytime there's a world leader at the UN, etc. The field I tried to hand the AMA for the cost of 50x500 x 4 inches of DG would have had zero noise complaints (all uninhabited military land), flat as a glass plate, no obstacles, protected airspace, great weather (except for heat) in the summer, and not a single TFR in the three years I was there.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

This discussion was all in the context of what we did to try and get a field and AMA wouldn't help unless it was open to all AMA members...a non-starter so far as access to the military installation. I find issue with that because at the time AMA was trying to get more members, and this would have tapped into military families and single Sailors. But AMA couldn't get past the "all AMA members" thing -- despite tolerating any number of clubs that don't allow any AMA member to fly (pg 132 of October MA as citation).

As for saying please and thank you, of course we did that. What Chris doesn't seem to understand is that you can't sprinkle fairy dust on things to resolve them. I'm sure his two cited clubs in NYC have substantial operational restrictions, hours, etc. and are impacted by TFRs

Are there any clubs in the USA that are exempt from TFRs?

very time the Yankees play, the Mets play, the Jets play, the Giants play, anytime there's a world leader at the UN, etc. The field I tried to hand the AMA for the cost of 50x500 x 4 inches of DG would have had zero noise complaints (all uninhabited military land), flat as a glass plate, no obstacles, protected airspace, great weather (except for heat) in the summer, and not a single TFR in the three years I was there.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:55 PM
franklin_m

So, just to confirm the ridiculousness here. From the flying site grant program:

"Recipients of this grant will be announced May the first of each year and it may be up to10% of the total improvement cost to the maximum of $3,000"

As stated earlier, their money was already going to fund the shade structures, the site control fencing, pilot stations, concrete pad, road improvement, equipment rental for site prep, etc. It was much more than $3000 total, so your po

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...s-Policies.pdf

I'm having a hard time believing you were planning a $30k project in order to receive the $3,000 maximum. Now, even if you were requesting the $3,000 maximum, you already stated the club had 30 members. Now, even though your request was denied by the, 30 members x $100 would equal the $3,000 the AMA would have provided. Now, you're telling me the 30 members couldn't come up with or raise $100 each? $100! There's a hell of a lot clubs in this country with dues >= $100. Even if they are already paying dues a $100 special assessment to move the field, save the club, and continue to enjoy the hobby doesn't seem excessive to me
I'll repeat since you don't seem to have read it the first time. The club money was already allocated to equipment rental for site prep, concrete pads for pits, site control measures (fencing), pilot stations, and the sunshades you took issue with. These alone were well more than $3000.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM
franklin_m

Are there any clubs in the USA that are exempt from TFRs?
That's a ridiculous question -- of course not. It also proves nothing. What is true is that there are some clubs that must deal with them much more frequently than other clubs ... say for example ones located in NYC. But then again, you knew that right?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'll repeat since you don't seem to have read it the first time. The club money was already allocated to equipment rental for site prep, concrete pads for pits, site control measures (fencing), pilot stations, and the sunshades you took issue with. These alone were well more than $3000.
My analysis concludes the club never really wanted the field. The AMA grant money wasn't significant (max $3k). You're just continue to blame the AMA for the clubs inability and lack of determination to sustain itself.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That's a ridiculous question -- of course not. It also proves nothing. What is true is that there are some clubs that must deal with them much more frequently than other clubs ... say for example ones located in NYC. But then again, you knew that right?
Many clubs are willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome to enjoy their hobby. It's a shame more don't demonstrate those qualities.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM
franklin_m

You did submit an application and received a denial in writing, right?
No, but then again on another issue when I did submit the request in writing and heard nothing in response you said I should have called and talked to them personally. Ironically that's what I did in this case, talked to the flying site guy himself. He gave me a flat "no way" if it wasn't open to all AMA members. I asked if I could submit it anyway, his response was something to the effect that "You can, but it's a waste of time, the answer will be no."
Old 11-22-2015, 01:06 PM
franklin_m

My analysis concludes the club never really wanted the field. The AMA grant money wasn't significant (max $3k). You're just continue to blame the AMA for the clubs inability and lack of determination to sustain itself.
The AMA either wants more field or it doesn't. Clearly they're not "that" interested in getting more fields. The club came up with everything else, including the land which is usually the toughest part, and they were tapped out. If you remember, I told you that the majority were older and on fixed incomes. Smacking them for an additional assessment beyond what they were already pledging wasn't an option.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM
franklin_m

Many clubs are willing to improvise, adapt, and overcome to enjoy their hobby. It's a shame more don't demonstrate those qualities.
That's cute. You think that up all by yourself or did you have to look it up. It's one of your typical useless platitudes. Sounds great, but isn't much more than a magic wand solution.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

ah, I can just feel the love.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The AMA either wants more field or it doesn't. Clearly they're not "that" interested in getting more fields. The club came up with everything else, including the land which is usually the toughest part, and they were tapped out. If you remember, I told you that the majority were older and on fixed incomes. Smacking them for an additional assessment beyond what they were already pledging wasn't an option.
Yup, it's entirely the AMA's fault the club failed.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 PM
cj_rumley

That's cute. You think that up all by yourself or did you have to look it up. It's one of your typical useless platitudes. Sounds great, but isn't much more than a magic wand solution.
Is it becoming clear yet that you are just feeding a troll?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:33 PM
franklin_m

Yup, it's entirely the AMA's fault the club failed.
Never said that. My point is that despite all their statements about the importance of adding flying fields (and not losing ones they had), their actions don't always match the rhetoric.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:39 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is it becoming clear yet that you are just feeding a troll?
Yeah, but it's kinda like sport. One can always count on him to find some way to twist language to make AMA the most perfect organization ever to grace the face of the earth. So much so that in his world we should probably bow to their greatness, genuflect any time one of the EC walks by, etc.

However, I tend to view the organization though pragmatic eyes. Probably a bunch of nice guys who try hard, but that doesn't mean they're infallible, nor does it mean they're particularly effective. Current registration issue a case in point, lawsuit against FAA another.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-22-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

More ridicule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.