Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMA, Best Buy Team up on Consumer Drone Education

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 4, 2015
CONTACT: Allison Haley, [email protected], (202) 777-3509, Ryan Stanzel, [email protected], (651) 261-2054
Best Buy distributing AMA safety guidelines, offering memberships to customers purchasing drones this holiday season
MUNCIE, Ind. — The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and Best Buy are teaming up to educate consumers purchasing drones this holiday season. As part of a recently formed relationship with AMA, Best Buy locations will display brochures with AMA safety guidelines on store shelves and also feature regulation and safety information on the store receipts of drone purchases. In addition, Best Buy is offering one-year AMA memberships for purchase.

“Safety has always been our number one priority. By teaming up with Best Buy, we hope to help even more new drone operators learn how to fly responsibly,” said Dave Mathewson, executive director of AMA, the largest community-based organization for recreational model aviation enthusiasts. “We have long said that education is the best way to promote safety and that’s why we’re excited to enter into this relationship with one of the nation’s leading retailers.
The safety brochures are currently available in more than 1,000 Best Buy stores across the U.S. The “Fly Responsibly” message is appearing on all receipts for drone purchases in stores, and online on pages where drones are sold. In addition, Best Buy employees who sell drones are required to complete an online training course, in part focusing on safe and responsible use of the technology. The safety brochure distributed by Best Buy is available here: http://bit.ly/1N15HGc
Best Buy has also begun selling AMA memberships in stores and online. AMA membership gives consumers access to up-to-date information on potential drone-related regulations, as well as access to local clubs where consumers can take their drones to fly and receive instruction from experienced operators.
Since late 2014, Best Buy has been selling drones including models from DJI, Yuneec, Parrot and 3DR technology. In November, Best Buy’s drone buying guide was one of the top-viewed buying guides
available on the company’s website.
The relationship with Best Buy is the latest part of AMA’s ongoing education efforts, which includes the Know Before You Fly campaign. AMA created this campaign along with the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI). The campaign was launched in December 2014 in partnership with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to provide drone users with the information and guidance they need to fly safely and responsibly.

Pulled from the AMA site. While I have not received a answer to who is picking up the tab for this, from the wording it looks like Best Buy. A response from my inquiry will hopefully confirm this. Now since they don't mention the "additional year for existing members making a purchase of a qualifying mutirotor" I have to wonder if this is some other "program"

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-04-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
In that thread nobody knew who was picking up the tab. We speculated Yuncee and Best Buy.. Now that I'm reading about it in the magazine that the "AMA has partnered with". I'm wondering just who is paying for it. What part of that do you have a problem with other just trolling for a argument?
I emailed the author of the article asking for clarification. When and if I get it I'll post it.

Mike
This was clearly stated in post #9 in that thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12125488
Old 12-04-2015, 12:15 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
This was clearly stated in post #9 in that thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12125488
I had no idea that Mr matt speaks for and represents the AMA. Thanks for clearing that up.
Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 12:18 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got it from the AMA.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
In that thread nobody knew who was picking up the tab. We speculated Yuncee and Best Buy.. Now that I'm reading about it in the magazine that the "AMA has partnered with". I'm wondering just who is paying for it. What part of that do you have a problem with other just trolling for a argument?
I emailed the author of the article asking for clarification. When and if I get it I'll post it.

Mike
Another day of wonderment...it never ends.

Since you're on a roll again today, I'll throw some fuel on the fire. I'm thinking all those new AMA drone members will significantly outnumber all the "traditional modelers" in the AMA, get sick and tired of all their bellyaching, and then push them out. Yeah, I feel a hostile takeover is in the works. Remember, I said it first!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I got it from the AMA.
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
rcmiket

Thanks, sunshine.

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tonight the community of Paradise Valley near Phoenix AZ just past a law banning all DRONE Flying that takes immediate effect.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lley/29802117/
Old 12-04-2015, 06:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Looks like that was back in July, it said in part:

"..While commercial operators await federal rules governing the use of drones, two Arizona communities are exploring local laws that aim to protect the privacy of residents by limiting the use of unmanned aerial vehicles.Phoenix and Paradise Valley have entered the national fray over camera-carrying drones, which are increasing in popularity as more hobbyists fly them for fun and companies like Amazon discuss using them to deliver air-born packages.Paradise Valley is considering an ordinance that would make it illegal to fly drones in town without a permit. Backyard hobbyists and law-enforcement agencies that may need to use drones during emergencies would be excluded from the proposed ban.

Do you have a link to what the ordinance finally said, as it looks like there were exceptions. Did anyone in the local area know this, any clubs in the area?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Looks like that was back in July, it said in part:

"..While commercial operators await federal rules governing the use of drones, two Arizona communities are exploring local laws that aim to protect the privacy of residents by limiting the use of unmanned aerial vehicles.Phoenix and Paradise Valley have entered the national fray over camera-carrying drones, which are increasing in popularity as more hobbyists fly them for fun and companies like Amazon discuss using them to deliver air-born packages.Paradise Valley is considering an ordinance that would make it illegal to fly drones in town without a permit. Backyard hobbyists and law-enforcement agencies that may need to use drones during emergencies would be excluded from the proposed ban.

Do you have a link to what the ordinance finally said, as it looks like there were exceptions. Did anyone in the local area know this, any clubs in the area?
Sorry but Nope, just googled what I presented because i heard it on the local news and they showed a multi copter as a drone. Anyway the NW corner of Paradise Valley is only 3.4 miles from the center of Scottsdale airport. KDSL Can't fly there anyway.
The closet AMA feld is at Scottsdale community collage but that'a\s not in Paradise
Valley. About 2.2 miles to the East South East of Paradise Valley.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 PM
franklin_m

Since you're on a roll again today, I'll throw some fuel on the fire. I'm thinking all those new AMA drone members will significantly outnumber all the "traditional modelers" in the AMA, get sick and tired of all their bellyaching, and then push them out. Yeah, I feel a hostile takeover is in the works. Remember, I said it first!
I'll be interested if we ever find out how many of the memberships sold this way result in a renewal in a year? Same as I'd be interested in how many of the free youth memberships turn into paid memberships. What do we think the chance is that we'll ever get to see this sort of data? After all, it is a useful measure of how well these programs are working.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'll be interested if we ever find out how many of the memberships sold this way result in a renewal in a year? Same as I'd be interested in how many of the free youth memberships turn into paid memberships. What do we think the chance is that we'll ever get to see this sort of data? After all, it is a useful measure of how well these programs are working.
memberships sold this way result in a renewal in a year
Probably very few ... I really believe most Dronners will get Bored quickly.
Especially after they crash their $500+ bird a few times.

free youth memberships turn into paid memberships
Not many of these either They turn 16 then find Girls & Cars and their gone till they turn 60 or get their kids interested in something besides Girls soccer and cars. Not necessarily in that order either. But then it didn't really cost anything to do either. FREE AMA that is.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Probably very few ... I really believe most Dronners will get Bored quickly.

Especially when they find out they have to register and follow rules!!

But then it didn't really cost anything to do either. FREE AMA that is.
HMMM...I wonder who pays their share of their insurance coverage..........Nothing is free in this world.

Astro
Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog

Especially when they find out they have to register and follow rules!!

HMMM...I wonder who pays their share of their insurance coverage..........Nothing is free in this world.

Astro
Come on now even Franklin knows that one. U Me And 180/185K AMA'ers do ... Simple Math them's that's got's pays. Liberalism at it best. Just hope the Ambulance chasing Lawyers don't get wind of it. Now got to get to bed it's late. Got an early date with a Traditional CUB in the morning. Well sorta Traditional it's "Lectric"
Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes, we're all interested in the analytics. Sure real-time dashboards would be nice. We also need to realize it's a marketing program and things take time and results are small. Just ask anyone who works in sales. Just ask yourself when was the last time you responded to a mailer or a free something or other you received. However, at the end of the day you need to start somewhere and the goal of any organization is to sustain itself. Go to any club meeting in this country and it's easy to see why the AMA needs to some serious recruiting if they want to stay in business.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:20 AM
cj_rumley

"We lose money on every deal, but make up for it with volume"
Old 12-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Which deals do you have numbers for?
Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 AM
HoundDog

Yes, we're all interested in the analytics. Sure real-time dashboards would be nice. We also need to realize it's a marketing program and things take time and results are small. Just ask anyone who works in sales. Just ask yourself when was the last time you responded to a mailer or a free something or other you received. However, at the end of the day you need to start somewhere and the goal of any organization is to sustain itself. Go to any club meeting in this country and it's easy to see why the AMA needs to some serious recruiting if they want to stay in business.
Hey Bacon Finally U make some sense, good going. It's all about "SELF PRESERVATION"
& the money too.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:46 AM
HoundDog

Gone Flying,
"Have an
Ausome Day".
Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM
cj_rumley

Maybe Franklin will step in to answer that. I'm sure he knows and has more patience with you than I do.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:00 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Um...none. It's just easier to throw something out there and see if it sticks. The idea of "loss leader" isn't a term some are familiar with. The same that don't understand that the amount of our dues that goes to insurance isn't that significant. Nor might they realize that our dues maybe subsidizing the junior/youth membership isn't that big of a deal. The youth memberships don't carry anywhere near the risk that the adult ones do. They aren't the ones flying at the frequency or duration rate that adults are, nor are they causing the property damage and personal injuries that the adult ones do. The youths aren't the ones asking for land grants, help with starting clubs, event sanctions... etc etc. The "cost" to giving away a youth membership is pennies at best, and the goodwill it creates is sufficient, imo. How many "free" membership leads turn into paid memberships...dunno, what if it's only 10%. Don't care. If the AMA doesn't look to get youths into the hobby, it won't be around that long.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Maybe Franklin will step in to answer that. I'm sure he knows and has more patience with you than I do.
Isn't that your post making that statement or are you referring to a different quote w/o reference? No patience required, you either have actual independently verifiable numbers from the source or you don't.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hey Bacon Finally U make some sense, good going. It's all about "SELF PRESERVATION"
& the money too.
Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Bacon always makes sense!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:23 PM
cj_rumley

Isn't that your post making that statement or are you referring to a different quote w/o reference? No patience required, you either have actual independently verifiable numbers from the source or you don't.
See, you've already come back with a question about an obvious fact and a presumed alternative if it were false along with two statements of fact you cannot authenticate, and that tries my patience so one of them is proven false, and the second has options that obviously begs a 'true' answer. I'll just wait for Franklin to attempt to educate you, if he chooses.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

See, you've already come back with a question about an obvious fact and a presumed alternative if it were false along with two statements of fact you cannot authenticate, and that tries my patience so one of them is proven false, and the second has options that obviously begs a 'true' answer. I'll just wait for Franklin to attempt to educate you, if he chooses.
It wont do any good.
Do not waste your time with them.
For example, these two believe that the PPP has been a financial success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.