Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that begs the question...who did get paid off in your mind? Did anyone here come out smelling like roses? Did any of the other of the 20 or so members who made their recommendations get more/less than we did?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. You know the guys who are putting drones up into the flight path of full scale aircraft or compromising the safety of the general public by doing illegal flyovers , they're never going to become AMA members and could give a rat's ass about FAA rules and fines. Meanwhile, we get to pay higher dues, and now have to register with the FAA (and you know somewhere down the line they are going to charge a fee). Law abiding citizens, we're screwed.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. You know the guys who are putting drones up into the flight path of full scale aircraft or compromising the safety of the general public by doing illegal flyovers , they're never going to become AMA members and could give a rat's ass about FAA rules and fines. Meanwhile, we get to pay higher dues, and now have to register with the FAA (and you know somewhere down the line they are going to charge a fee). Law abiding citizens, we're screwed.
I hear your frustation and agree with some of it..it's annoying that the folks who follow the law, are now burdened with more laws. I'm not thrilled with paying any more out of pocket than I do now...it sucks. I do however think there are "drone" guys who are coming into the AMA and club scene, I know of some myself. What little silver lining that there is can be seen in the fees, at least it wasn't every aircraft. The other issue is now we know what the rules are, clearly defined, and the ramifications of breaking those...the darn well better hold these rouge guys accountable. Fact dependent of course....I want to see some of these people buried in legal fees, fines,and even some time in the pokey if that's warranted. I want to see this site, and others able to follow up on these cases and see what the ultimate outcome is. Hopefully some examples will be made.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 PM
islandflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I do however think there are "drone" guys who are coming into the AMA and club scene, I know of some myself.
How many?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by islandflyer
How many?
FPV racing at the IAC:

https://youtu.be/x2MOI3xVB5I
Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

How many?
As of today 14. I'm going to go to another club's meeting tomorrow night and I'm going to try to get another 19 to sign up. Our club has an event on 1-1 and we usually have about 50 people showing up. If the weather holds, we might have 60-70. At that event I'm going to walk around and explain the benefits of the AMA and being in a club, and have people sign our forms, then sign up with the AMA if they are not already members. Since we allow all types of flying at our field, we'll get some of those "droners" I'm sure.

What is your tally up to so far? Momentum building, into the 3 digits yet? I know you mentioned you guys were working on things "behind the scenes". That's curious to me, why not continue to promote? If you and the other 13 have planned ahead, this might be a good time to leverage this decision today to get another wave of signatures. Then again, they might be busy over the next dealing with more pressing issues.

Don't give up though, I think you can still make yourselves heard. I was disappointed I didn't hear back after my offer to help you out, but it's good to see you're checking in to see how we're doing with registering those "droners" into the fold. It's certainly an interesting time to be part of the AMA !! But I was sincere in my offer, and I don't mean to hard-selll, but I am starting another project 1/1 and might not have the time to spend on this one. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss further.

Anyway, thanks for checking in and Happy Holidays if we don't get a chance to talk.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
FPV racing at the IAC:

How many?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As of today 14. I'm going to go to another club's meeting tomorrow night and I'm going to try to get another 19 to sign up. .
Wait.....You're going to a club (presumably AMA-chartered) meeting and there are going to be 19 (non-AMA member) droners there and ALL of them are going to sign up?

That's impressive!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Amazing actually.

Good planning, a positive attitude, and hard work do wonders.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

FAA (and you know somewhere down the line they are going to charge a fee). Law abiding citizens, we're screwed.

the charge starts 3 years from your first registration if done by 30 or so days from the 21 st od Dec. and Law abiding citizens are always SCREWED. It's just the way it is. Ask Gun Owners,
Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 PM
HoundDog

I hear your frustation and agree with some of it..it's annoying that the folks who follow the law, are now burdened with more laws. I'm not thrilled with paying any more out of pocket than I do now...it sucks. I do however think there are "drone" guys who are coming into the AMA and club scene, I know of some myself. What little silver lining that there is can be seen in the fees, at least it wasn't every aircraft. The other issue is now we know what the rules are, clearly defined, and the ramifications of breaking those...the darn well better hold these rouge guys accountable. Fact dependent of course....I want to see some of these people buried in legal fees, fines,and even some time in the pokey if that's warranted. I want to see this site, and others able to follow up on these cases and see what the ultimate outcome is. Hopefully some examples will be made.
Not very likely out of the thousands of sightings in the last 4 or 5 years very few "Dronners" have been caught. Like wise very very few have even been prosecuted & even less found guilty. U really don't think that Paying a dollar sixty seven cents a year and registering is going to much or going to solve the problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Not very likely out of the thousands of sightings in the last 4 or 5 years very few "Dronners" have been caught. Like wise very very few have even been prosecuted & even less found guilty. U really don't think that Paying a dollar sixty seven cents a year and registering is going to much or going to solve the problem.
The registration will do little to nothing to stop what we've seen in the past, I don't think I've ever indicated otherwise. It's a feel good almost empty gesture for some politicians to go back home and say they are working hard to keep their peeps safe! Very few have been caught, but lets also not forget that very few may have actually been involved in "near misses" too...those reports are full of holes. Reg won't solve the problem for everyone...maybe a few will think twice. Maybe a few will get popped and become an example. At least now there might be some bite behind the bark. That said, reg'ing is now a reality and one we have to face.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How many?
> 507
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Amazing actually.

Amen!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:00 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing actually.

Thanks for the chuckle! I needed something to smile about today.

Astro
Old 12-14-2015, 09:03 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
FPV racing at the IAC:

DAMN Anyone want to buy some Traditional DRONES ... as the FAA calls them.
Think Real Drone and video VPV is the coming thing IF you ain't an old gezzer.
Drone racing looks like a lot of fun. How about Drone Combat VFP style. OH Maybe DRONR Pattern or IMAC. Anything is possible. It only takes Imagination probably won't be able to keep up with the Youngsters though. Should be fun trying though gota be better than 1 take off 4 times around the pattern and 1 landing like most O'l Gezzrs. Then they go argue with other O'L gezzers about Politics Religion or Women. ... or solving all the worlds problems by lunch Boring. Sorta like Posting on RCU Forms.

Darn 10:05 pm, time to take my pills Pee and get this O'l gezzers to bed. 4:44 comes quick. gota walk 2 miles every morning.
so Merry christmas to all and to all a good Night.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-14-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
Thanks for the chuckle! I needed something to smile about today.

Astro
I aim to please...since we start our days together and we end them together...why not have a chuckle as well? If we can bring the others along, we'll have our own glee club.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We're screwed
Old 12-14-2015, 09:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

nah...we'll find a way to make it work....eventually.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:25 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The registration will do little to nothing to stop what we've seen in the past, I don't think I've ever indicated otherwise. It's a feel good almost empty gesture for some politicians to go back home and say they are working hard to keep their peeps safe! Very few have been caught, but lets also not forget that very few may have actually been involved in "near misses" too...those reports are full of holes. Reg won't solve the problem for everyone...maybe a few will think twice. Maybe a few will get popped and become an example. At least now there might be some bite behind the bark. That said, reg'ing is now a reality and one we have to face.
fairly sure that even the registrars do not expect this registration step to actually accomplish anything as to "incidents". it is just a needed first step, who's failure to work, can be referenced in the near future when contemplating some action with real teeth in it.
covering the first base so to speak.
i believe someone else already posted ideas along these line in one of these threads, and i believe that they are accurate.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

There have been lots of things posted along many lines in these threads over the past year. Among many a theme, distrust and cynicism for governing bodies, namely the AMA and the FAA. I choose not to think of this all as some first step in a grand scheme by the feds to take over the hobby, micromanage it, or abolish it somehow. The times change, technology has changed, and threat potentials change. We've been caught up in some of this, and it's not fair, but this is what it is for now, we'll have to work through it.

The other emerging theme of course is "throw the bums out, we need new leadership". This trite refrain often comes from folks who not only won't step up and do something more than post on a website, but also fail to ever come up with an alternative ideas, or suggestions on how new leadership will make a difference. As if change by itself will improve things. Then again, some of these same folks also say it's impossible for any new EC board members to be elected/appointed because the current ones hold some kind of strange star chamber like stranglehold over the process. I get the anger and disappointment, but please....
Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 AM
rcmiket

Flying Under Ultralight Rules (FAR Part 103)

• Recreational flight limited to single seaters weighing less than 254 lbs
  • Any category, class or type of vehicle permitted (i.e. airplane, trike, powered parachute)
FAA has chosen not to promulgate Federal regulations regarding pilot certification, vehicle certification, and vehicle registration, preferring that the ultralight community assume the initiative forthe development of these important safety programs. The ultralight community has taken positive action and developed programs almost two decades ago gaining FAA approval for their implementation.FAA further states, "...it should be emphasized that the individual ultralight operator's support and compliance with national self-regulation programs is essential to the FAA's continued policy of allowing industry self-regulation in these areas."

Maybe the AMA should have asked the USUA for guidance .

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2015, 04:50 AM
rcmiket

Amazing actually.

Now that's funny. I needed that.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

As I noted to Astro, we start the day with each other and usually end the day with each other (the more I read that...) so why not share a chuckle with each other as well.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

We're screwed
Speak for yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.