Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Yes, we're all interested in the analytics. Sure real-time dashboards would be nice. We also need to realize it's a marketing program and things take time and results are small. Just ask anyone who works in sales. Just ask yourself when was the last time you responded to a mailer or a free something or other you received. However, at the end of the day you need to start somewhere and the goal of any organization is to sustain itself. Go to any club meeting in this country and it's easy to see why the AMA needs to some serious recruiting if they want to stay in business.
If that's what they're doing, marketing (or loss leader as you mention in a later post), then there's no problem with it I suppose as long as they've also decided on time horizons to decide success. For example, what if they're not getting the memberships after a year? Two? Three? Five? or Ten? Have they decided on a time to make a hard decision whether it's working or not? If not, then I suggest the program runs the risk of being a money sump...one where the organization continues to put good money after bad.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:29 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
It wont do any good.
Do not waste your time with them.
For example, these two believe that the PPP has been a financial success
LOL! There's that and then there's the CBO tragicomedy where the fat lady isn't singing yet. Invited to the sUAS ARC only to provide expertise defining what a model aircraft already exempted from UAS regulation is, AMA got us lumped in with them as regulated aircraft, spawned the CBO crap that kicked 90% of the modelers in the country that are not AMA members to the curb, and after the costly lobbying of Congress that enacted sect. 336, still has not produced anything whatever of value for AMA members, never mind all the other modelers in the country. And the next round of litigation with the gummit is focused on getting "recognition" as The CBO, for all that's worth even if they win. I put a value on that effort as zip-zero-squat, but I don't have to tell you it is going to cost a helluva lot more than that.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

It wont do any good.
If the PPP is/was a failure then membership is the one to blame. The AMA never needed to create PPP to begin with. I suspect it was created due to the membership complaining about dues being too expensive and how more folks would join the AMA if a lower cost option was available. Guess what? They created it, marketed it, and from what I've read here not many existing/new AMA members took advantage of it. At least now they can say they listened to the membership and the reality is there isn't much interest in it.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
If that's what they're doing, marketing (or loss leader as you mention in a later post), then there's no problem with it I suppose as long as they've also decided on time horizons to decide success. For example, what if they're not getting the memberships after a year? Two? Three? Five? or Ten? Have they decided on a time to make a hard decision whether it's working or not? If not, then I suggest the program runs the risk of being a money sump...one where the organization continues to put good money after bad.
I would hope they started with and "end in mind" and identified their critical success factors so they know when/how to evaluate success and determine whether they continue or cancel a service offering.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
LOL! There's that and then there's the CBO tragicomedy where the fat lady isn't singing yet. Invited to the sUAS ARC only to provide expertise defining what a model aircraft already exempted from UAS regulation is, AMA got us lumped in with them as regulated aircraft, spawned the CBO crap that kicked 90% of the modelers in the country that are not AMA members to the curb, and after the costly lobbying of Congress that enacted sect. 336, still has not produced anything whatever of value for AMA members, never mind all the other modelers in the country. And the next round of litigation with the gummit is focused on getting "recognition" as The CBO, for all that's worth even if they win. I put a value on that effort as zip-zero-squat, but I don't have to tell you it is going to cost a helluva lot more than that.
Sounds terrible. Are you currently an AMA member? Did you renew your membership for 2016? If not, will you be renewing your membership for 2016?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:28 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

people crying over the new dues cost when they fly and crash airplanes that cost hundreds of dollar lol
Old 12-05-2015, 09:32 PM
cj_rumley

Sounds terrible. Are you currently an AMA member? Did you renew your membership for 2016? If not, will you be renewing your membership for 2016?
Will I pay at the AMA toll gate to gain access to my club flying site? Yes. Do tens of thousands of other modelers pay that toll for no reason other than access to a flying site? Yes
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Will I pay at the AMA toll gate to gain access to my club flying site? Yes. Do tens of thousands of other modelers pay that toll for no reason other than access to a flying site? Yes
I was only asking about you. Glad to see you'll be supporting the AMA in 2016.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
cj_rumley

I was only asking about you. Glad to see you'll be supporting the AMA in 2016.
Don't think AMA needs draftees like me? Let AMA drop the mandate that chartered clubs must allow access to AMA members exclusively and watch the house of cards fall. AMA needs us more than we need them.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

If the PPP is/was a failure then membership is the one to blame. The AMA never needed to create PPP to begin with. I suspect it was created due to the membership complaining about dues being too expensive and how more folks would join the AMA if a lower cost option was available. Guess what? They created it, marketed it, and from what I've read here not many existing/new AMA members took advantage of it. At least now they can say they listened to the membership and the reality is there isn't much interest in it.
would you mind sourcing the quote/link/paper or whatever ya got that gave you the erroneous idea that the PPP membership idea was membership driven?
and be sure to include data from the membership survey they sent out prior to enacting it.

and some of us were here and do remember the results of that survey.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 AM
rcmiket

AMA needs us more than we need them.
Hope they see that soon. With only 137,000 actual PAYING members rather the the 187,000 we keep hearing about they really can't afford to loss ANY members.

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
would you mind sourcing the quote/link/paper or whatever ya got that gave you the erroneous idea that the PPP membership idea was membership driven?
and be sure to include data from the membership survey they sent out prior to enacting it.

and some of us were here and do remember the results of that survey.
I never said they sent out a survey for the PPP prior to enacting it. For complaining about the cost of dues you need to look no further than the beginning of this thread.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:58 AM
franklin_m

I would hope they started with and "end in mind" and identified their critical success factors so they know when/how to evaluate success and determine whether they continue or cancel a service offering.
If we had transparency, we'd know the answer to that.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Don't think AMA needs draftees like me? Let AMA drop the mandate that chartered clubs must allow access to AMA members exclusively and watch the house of cards fall. AMA needs us more than we need them.
Why not sell it to your club? Get all the equivalent (or better) insurance coverage, your club needs and drop the AMA entirely. Just think, if one club does it all clubs can do it. Club doesn't want to do it, no problem, start your own club, no AMA required.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:05 AM
rcmiket

That will never happen.

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 05:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Then folks would be complaining about the costs to administer such transparency.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Hope they see that soon. With only 137,000 actual PAYING members rather the the 187,000 we keep hearing about they really can't afford to loss ANY members.

Mike
Just think how much $$$ you'll save when you take advantage of their recruiting program:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...n3flyfree.aspx
Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That will never happen.

Mike
You never know. Maybe they'll even install sensors in the bathrooms so the members here can monitor, analyze, and comment on bathroom breaks.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 AM
rcmiket

Just think how much $$$ you'll save when you take advantage of their recruiting program:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...n3flyfree.aspx
That's been in effect for years. Since there's no huge increase in PAYING members it's not a factor is it?
Thanks for your input as always.

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 05:42 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
What do you mean they, it's your organization too right?

That's been in effect for years. Since there's no huge increase in PAYING members it's not a factor is it?
Thanks for your input as always.

Just wanted to make sure you knew you will be rewarded for recognizing and addressing the critical situation of your first post above.

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 06:05 AM
rcmiket

What do you mean they, it's your organization too right? ..
If it keeps up they way it's heading it's not.

"Just wanted to make sure you knew you will be rewarded for recognizing and addressing the critical situation of your first post above."

I'm well aware of the programs offered and as I pointed out this one seems to be a non factor as far as PAYING new members.
Once again thanks for your input
Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It wont do any good.
For the record. I never said the PPP was a success. It never appealed to me since I've always flown aircraft too large to quality for the PPP. My point is, with all the bellyaching about the cost of dues (as evidenced early on in this very thread) I could see where the AMA would try to appease those members as well as attract new members perhaps on fixed incomes flying small aircraft who qualify for the PPP.

I do give the AMA credit for trying tough. If everything in business was guaranteed everyone would be independently wealthy.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

CJ: & Others:
Just like the first amendment I may not like what U say (Or your Opinions) but I'll defend your right to say it . That being said:
If U only Join the AMA to have access to a flying site too bad I feel sorry For U. There is so much more to this hobby/sport than going to a place and fly 3 times for a total of maybe a half hour in the air. If U aren't flying "LLectric" that is. There are an estimated 500 thousand people flying some sort of R/C in the USA today. Subtracting the AMA's 180/185 from a half million (Soon to be a Million and a half) we find 170% more people Flying R/C than the whole of the AMA. Now if U or anyone else dislikes the AMA so much, I suggest either U or them run for office in the AMA and change it from within.
On The other Hand is to save your Dues and Join the 170%, soon to be 1.5 million / 180k over 800% of the people flying R/C TOYs. that don't need the AMA and it's expense just to fly TOY airplanes in the USA. If U and others are so unhappy with the AMA (For any reason) then show your disdain by selling all your TOYs to those that Appreciate the AMA and all they do for the Hobby/Sport and Go buy an R/C Sailboat a lawn chair and a 6 pac. Then when U sober up U can wonder where the dumb sail boat went. LOL.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:21 AM
cj_rumley

For the record. I never said the PPP was a success. It never appealed to me since I've always flown aircraft too large to quality for the PPP. My point is, with all the bellyaching about the cost of dues (as evidenced early on in this very thread) I could see where the AMA would try to appease those members as well as attract new members perhaps on fixed incomes flying small aircraft who qualify for the PPP.

I do give the AMA credit for trying tough. If everything in business was guaranteed everyone would be independently wealthy.
If you had understood what Franklin tried explaining to you regarding to the satirical quote (anon) that I posted earlier, you would know that what is guaranteed by the way some conduct their business is bankruptcy. If you are losing money on every sale, the only effect of volume is on the pace of going broke.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If you had understood what Franklin tried explaining to you regarding to the satirical quote (anon) that I posted earlier, you would know that what is guaranteed by the way some conduct their business is bankruptcy. If you are losing money on every sale, the only effect of volume is on the pace of going broke.
Yeah, bankruptcy, sounds like the AMA is getting close. More personal opinion from those who don't realize it takes money to make money.

Why don't you ask Franklin, how much public transparency his employer provides?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.