Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Yeah, you're saving the AMA money.
Thanks I thought so too. I'm not surprised you don't see it.

Thanks anyway

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-08-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Thanks I thought so too. I'm not surprised you don't see it.

Thanks anyway

Mike
Oh, I see something loud and clear.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 12-08-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:22 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm fairly certain they have all of that information and then some. The simple fact is your not entitled to every little bit of data you want, and you certainly aren't going to get it posting on the internet. If you are so interested in the stats, my best suggestion is to be specific in your requests, and ask the right people. It may a more formal process, ie filling out a request form etc.
I'm happy to do that. So that you can't come back later and say I didn't get an answer because I asked the wrong person, used the process, filled out the wrong form etc. What process should I use to request one piece of information (to start): last five years of demographic data?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:49 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm happy to do that. So that you can't come back later and say I didn't get an answer because I asked the wrong person, used the process, filled out the wrong form etc. What process should I use to request one piece of information (to start): last five years of demographic data?
In this and in other threads you have highlighted your extensive career in the military, and more currently the thousands of dollars a day you charge for your consulting services. Are you really asking how to go about asking the AMA for information? I'm hoping you are asking just to be facetious, or make some kind of odd point, because if not, I'm genuinely at a loss.

Try here for a start though......

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

You admittedly struggled in the past in dealing with the AMA at a national level, so maybe set your sights a bit lower, and start here......

http://www.amadistrict-iii.com/

Final hint...I already see an problem with your request though...asking for "last 5 years of demographic data". Is that being asked to be intentionally vague, so that if you can't get that it's something to complain about? It's so overly broad and non-specific you have to know it's not going to be answered. Tighten the scope of your question, both from a content and time-frame perspective. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 AM
franklin_m

In this and in other threads you have highlighted your extensive career in the military, and more currently the thousands of dollars a day you charge for your consulting services. Are you really asking how to go about asking the AMA for information? I'm hoping you are asking just to be facetious, or make some kind of odd point, because if not, I'm genuinely at a loss.
I'm asking to avoid either you or your compadre bacon coming back later and say I didn't get an answer because I asked the wrong person, used the wrong method, etc.

So, go on record and tell me how I should submit my question. Your point of scope is fair, and it will be narrowly framed, what I would like from you is an on record statement about the process to use.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 AM
franklin_m

You admittedly struggled in the past in dealing with the AMA at a national level, so maybe set your sights a bit lower, and start here......http://www.amadistrict-iii.com/
And FYI, I contacted my district rep and proposed a motion for the board to provide an active duty discount equivalent to the 65 and older discount; verification would be via "Statement of Service" letter on DoD letterhead from their command or similar document (I've signed hundreds of them for my people throughout my career).

Response copied Dave M., said they would not even bring it to the EC for a vote.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM
cj_rumley

And FYI, I contacted my district rep and proposed a motion for the board to provide an active duty discount equivalent to the 65 and older discount; verification would be via "Statement of Service" letter on DoD letterhead from their command or similar document (I've signed hundreds of them for my people throughout my career).

Response copied Dave M., said they would not even bring it to the EC for a vote.

Exactly the response my proposal to remove the idiotic "one trial flight per lifetime" rule got from former President Dave Brown when my DVP previewed it with him the day it was to be voted on by the EC.

In retrospect, it was at least an elected officer of AMA that nixed it.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Exactly the response my proposal to remove the idiotic "one trial flight per lifetime" rule got from former President Dave Brown when my DVP previewed it with him the day it was to be voted on by the EC.

Yeah, I get concerned when organizations won't even put a reasonable proposal to a vote. To me it was a powerful indicator that they don't want to go on record saying no to active duty military. I can only imagine how much anguish a roll call vote on the issue would cause...but sadly we'll never no because one person vetoed it.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:58 AM
cj_rumley

Yeah, I get concerned when organizations won't even put a reasonable proposal to a vote. To me it was a powerful indicator that they don't want to go on record saying no to active duty military. I can only imagine how much anguish a roll call vote on the issue would cause...but sadly we'll never no because one person vetoed it.
Try this: I am eligible for a senior discount but don't need it. I'm more than willing to pass that option on as a credit to someone on active duty, as I am sure many others would.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:34 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
For the record. I never said the PPP was a success. It never appealed to me since I've always flown aircraft too large to quality for the PPP. My point is, with all the bellyaching about the cost of dues (as evidenced early on in this very thread) I could see where the AMA would try to appease those members as well as attract new members perhaps on fixed incomes flying small aircraft who qualify for the PPP.

I do give the AMA credit for trying tough. If everything in business was guaranteed everyone would be independently wealthy.
The PPP had about as much a chance of succeeding as a surf board factory in Alaska, yet you applaud them for trying.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm asking to avoid either you or your compadre bacon coming back later and say I didn't get an answer because I asked the wrong person, used the wrong method, etc.

So, go on record and tell me how I should submit my question. Your point of scope is fair, and it will be narrowly framed, what I would like from you is an on record statement about the process to use.
Your transparent attempt to back me into a corner fails, again. As if commenting here is on some type of "record". Go back and look at my prior posts for specific direction on how to communicate effectively. If you paid as much attention to that as you are to playing pedantic games here, your ideas may actually get to someone. Or better yet..look below, seems as though you already do know how to communicate and get a response, the issue is you just don't like the answer. Is it because you don't get what you want...I don't know. Sure seems that way. Not every idea is accepted, not every suggestion implemented. It's nothing personal I'm sure.

So what we have here is an idea you proposed, and sent to someone via some unknown source. Was it by phone, no, since you indicate a response was "copied". Was it by regular mail, or e-mail...unclear since you didn't communicate that effectively. Let's go on the assumption it was an e-mail. So you sent it, got some type of response, but it wasn't to your liking. So it looks like you do know how to be heard, you just don't like the response you got. So part of the communication problem has been solved right here. Excellent.

See that name....guess who is in your district?

So again you have concerns about the organization because they won't put a "reasonable" proposal to a vote. Let's get past the whole concept of "reasonable", since that's your take on it, not the EC's. Forget the issue you wanted voted on (I'll get back to that though), just think about how ineffective any of the meetings would be if they spent their time either discussing or voting on EVERY idea that people send to them. I can imagine how how much anguish the membership would have it the EC spent all that time on those issues rather than getting the business done they are elected to get done.

I've asked this of you before, or perhaps suggested it, and I don't mean it as a personal attack, merely a reminder that it might not be the message that isn't getting through, but the messenger, and the methodology. Even noting what you said above "they don't want to go on record saying no"...seems to me you might have structured the request in a way that makes them take caution, ie if they don't accept your premise, suddenly they are anti-active duty, or "don't want to go on record". Kind of like continuing the ask me how to communicate with the AMA...and going on record.

Getting back to your suggestion...it's a fine one of course, who could possibly not want to honor active duty folks, and show them a little courtesy/thanks but offering either a free or discounted membership. Honestly, I can't help but think there would be a group of folks who might just do that. You already see folks complaining about the youth memberships. Where does the AMA draw the line. Active Duty, how about Veterans. How about Law Enforcement, etc etc etc. Yes, they have senior discounts in there, that's about the most universal group in the US that gets discounts, for a number of reasons.

Now this is just me...but from my perspective, wouldn't it make more sense to channel all this effort and energy into finding new and creating ways of increasing membership, perhaps at the youth level, and promoting all the good things that come from this hobby? The safety, the science, the fun? I guess you can keep asking for discounts for groups, and keep digging for demographic data, all the while noting you will be quitting the AMA, I'm just not sure where that is going to lead. By no means am I suggesting you NOT ask the questions you want to ask.

Last edited by porcia83; 12-08-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.icywaves.com/

It's not a factory, but that sure looks fun. And cold! Who woulda thought there are two surf shops in Alaska

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brrr.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	2134738  
Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM
combatpigg

http://www.icywaves.com/

It's not a factory, but that sure looks fun. And cold! Who woulda thought there are two surf shops in Alaska

I guess you could call their Walmart a "Surf Shop" too.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I guess you could call their Walmart a "Surf Shop" too.
Perhaps, I hear you can see Russia from the parking lot of Walmart.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Did he say why?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:00 PM
combatpigg

Perhaps, I hear you can see Russia from the parking lot of Walmart.
I hear you were just 2 inches shy of getting a date with her.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
cj_rumley

See that name....guess who is in your district?

A: the largest number of dues payers that don't give a rat's patootie for the AMA flying site in Muncie
Old 12-08-2015, 01:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Makes about as much sense as the one above you. Does Dave Brown not care about the flying site in Muncie?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:37 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The PPP had about as much a chance of succeeding as a surf board factory in Alaska, yet you applaud them for trying.
PPP was doomed from the start because folks who fly small parkies in the park traditionally have no need for the AMA , as there is no AMA sanctioned club at most small parks to have to join in order to fly there .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:55 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
PPP was doomed from the start because folks who fly small parkies in the park traditionally have no need for the AMA , as there is no AMA sanctioned club at most small parks to join .
There's that, and guess what? - Park flyers preferred their mobility and liked to fly in parks rather than being pounded into the AMA mold of exclusive fixed flying compounds, members-only of course. And what they got from AMA was a 'turn key' program that at the bottom line was a notebook of instructions that told them how to go to park owning civic entities and sell them AMA insurance if they would build such compounds for them.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

An interesting take on the PPP.....to take hobbyists and turn them into insurance agents?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

There's that, and guess what? - Park flyers preferred their mobility and liked to fly in parks rather than being pounded into the AMA mold of exclusive fixed flying compounds, members-only of course. And what they got from AMA was a 'turn key' program that at the bottom line was a notebook of instructions that told them how to go to park owning civic entities and sell them AMA insurance if they would build such compounds for them.
An interesting take on the PPP.....to take hobbyists and turn them into insurance agents?
Can't really say CJ is wrong , beyond a magazine and set of instructions for setting up a PPP club , what else other than the insurance benefit was offered ?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:14 PM
rcmiket

Can't really say CJ is wrong , beyond a magazine and set of instructions for setting up a PPP club , what else other than the insurance benefit was offered ?
the warm and fuzzy feeling that you belong....................................

Mike
Old 12-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

PPP was doomed from the start because folks who fly small parkies in the park traditionally have no need for the AMA , as there is no AMA sanctioned club at most small parks to have to join in order to fly there .
I know several clubs in public parks where the Parks Service requires AMA to fly there. In one of those you don't need to be a club member, but the Parks Service still requires AMA membership to fly there.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I wonder what their commission and sales quota is? Guess I've been missing out being a regular AMA member. Everyone loves Bacon, why not throw in a little insurance to boot? Bacon and insurance, perfect together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.