Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Amazon's airspace proposal

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Amazon's airspace proposal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amazon's airspace proposal

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ckage-delivery

"Amazon believes the safest and most efficient environment for sUAS operations—from basic recreational users to sophisticated BLOS fleets—is in segregated civil airspace below 500 feet." Their proposal goes on to say that "The airspace between 400 and 500 feet will serve as a permanent ‘No Fly Zone’ in which sUAS operators will not be permitted to fly, except in emergencies."

In summary: No drones above 400', a 200-400' exclusive drone zone (with substantial mandatory equipment list to fly in this block), otherwise 200' and below.

Wonder how all that AMA lobbying money and 140K or so members will stack up against a company with over 150K+ employees and over $88B in revenue. Not to mention all the people that want the stuff that will be delivered by these commercial drones.

[ATTACH]2111564[/IMG]

[ATTACH]2111565[/IMG]

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-28-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Inserted line between attachments
Old 07-29-2015, 03:00 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

LoL...this is AMA related how?

Let me guess, the AMA is at fault here, did something wrong, didn't do enough of something, spent too much, didn't spend enough etc etc etc.?

While asking about the financial statement, did you ask about this proposal? Their response?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL...this is AMA related how?
All that money spent on the PR firm, all that money on lobbying, all that money spent sending reps to trade shows. I guess the AMA could turn to the FAA to help carve out more airspace for modelers, oh that's right, AMA is suing them. AMA has been in over their heads on this since the start. Lot's of activity (and expenses), but little tangible to show for it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM
franklin_m

FYI, I've just asked AMA for their response to the proposal...I can hardly wait to read their response.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
All that money spent on the PR firm, all that money on lobbying, all that money spent sending reps to trade shows. I guess the AMA could turn to the FAA to help carve out more airspace for modelers, oh that's right, AMA is suing them. AMA has been in over their heads on this since the start. Lot's of activity (and expenses), but little tangible to show for it.
Talk about a stretch, a staggering leap to get from one thing to the other. But hey, determination and all. I get the constant AMA is bad rap, but now the AMA is somehow already a failure, and to blame for something another company is asking for....that will likely never happen.

Originally Posted by franklin_m
FYI, I've just asked AMA for their response to the proposal...I can hardly wait to read their response.
No doubt....I can almost read the headlines now. Mystery, intrigue, subterfuge! AMA bad!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Amazon is not serious. They will never be able to have enough range with a drone unless they put a warehouse at each city. The FAA would have legal nightmares as well.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's posturing at this point, but don't underestimate Amazon. They are asking for the moon and beyond as a negotiating tool, and will probably settle for far less. Whatever happens, I'm sure the AMA will be at fault though.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's posturing at this point, but don't underestimate Amazon. They are asking for the moon and beyond as a negotiating tool, and will probably settle for far less. Whatever happens, I'm sure the AMA will be at fault though.
Porcia: How would the AMA be at Fault?. I think the FAA would be at fault for even considering such a Disaster.
As if they already don't have enough problems with regulating aircraft for Safety. Imagine another 10 thousand drones flying everywhere, near airports etc, you know the drill.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Porcia: How would the AMA be at Fault?. I think the FAA would be at fault for even considering such a Disaster.
As if they already don't have enough problems with regulating aircraft for Safety. Imagine another 10 thousand drones flying everywhere, near airports etc, you know the drill.
FlapHappy...I was being facetious, a good natured joke at the OP's expense as note above. While discussion Amazon's plans in the first post, there already appears to be a premise that AMA is going to fail somehow, even if that's because we're a small organization matched up against the giant corporation.

I don't think it will ever happen, but hey...did we think Google cars were going to be driving on streets without drivers behind the wheels 10 years ago? Stranger things have happened, and will happen in the future.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i know,
amazon should team up with google, and let their cars deliver amazon's stuff...

leave the airspace for us grown men with our toys<G>.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Amazon uses Google cars to deliver Apple products. Boom..the three biggest companies out there brought together!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:09 PM
FlyWheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ban the non professional non-registered use of drones. That'll make the skies safer for all of us.

Occam's razor.