Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 AM
islandflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Also there is the scientific/technical part in the mission statement. I really never gave a rat's arse about U control, or free flight, rubber power, indoors, choppers, 3D flight, or drones. But, they are part of our hobby. Some people have a hard time grasping this concept.

Gerry
That is a fine statement, but based on what logic?
6 of the 12 AMA VP's disagree with " drones. But, they are part of our hobby ", and so do most of the members I have personally had a chance to discuss this within the past two years. Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions, but I like to back mine with a little logic to justify my opinion.

Let's look a little deeper at the concept stated above, comparing drones to U control, or free flight, rubber power, indoors, choppers, 3D flight: all modeling segments listed here (expect drones) exist nowhere else but in modeling.
- These are (and have all been) represented solely by aero modeling. You could even add park flyers, foamies, gliders, etc.
- They all have little to no application other than the mere pleasure of watching one's own aircraft fly. This has been true since the inception of the AMA.

Drones on the other hand encompass a very wide world of flying machines, used in all kinds of different applications, operated in all kinds of environments outside the model flying fields.
That includes military, farming, surveying, inspecting, photographing, spying, firefighting, and many other applications which are all beyond the scope of model aviation. These various applications are all using the US airspace which is all controlled by the FAA. It is therefore inevitable that FAA will increasingly control what flies in this airspace, and how it is flown, including the fast growing number of drones. That is in addition to State and even more local regulations that are already beginning to come out targeting drone issues.

It is absolutely irrational to believe that only these non-hobby drones will be affected by these new regulations, without any impact on the hobby drones. As many other laws, these may not even make any sense to hobby drone operators; that will not diminish their impact, or validity.

By failing to clearly distinguish between Aeromodeling and Drone flying, that AMA is exposing the model aviators to the same limiting regulations, even though none of the traditional model aviation activities have warranted this level of restrictions. The aeromodeling hobby has a spectacular safety record, and has been quite drama free in the many decades of its existence. Drones, by generating a whole lot of issues in the few years of their presence are changing that, and most of us are not in agreement with being impacted by the side effects of drone regulations.

Last edited by islandflyer; 10-07-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandflyer
And a lot of us contend that "Droning" (I might have invented a new word for Drone operation) is not modeling.
The is the canyon (too wide to be called a gap).
You might be on to something there, get a copyright on that right. It's right up there with "quadrama", a phrase another member here came up with.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
rcmiket

"Droning"

I like it.

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by islandflyer
And a lot of us contend that "Droning" (I might have invented a new word for Drone operation) is not modeling.
The is the canyon (too wide to be called a gap).
I used "droning" in my post back on 9/25:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12104336
Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How about "Dronehuggers"...?

...."Drone-0-philes"...?

I expect the FPV Movement will REALLY take off once affordable systems are developed so that the Nintendo Babies never have to leave the safety and comfort of Mommie's livingroom.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-13-2015 at 02:01 PM.