Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd D
http://atwonline.com/safety/editorial-good-rule#

Link to an article providing perspective of how the registration rule is viewed by those in aviation outside of the RC world. ATW is a respected publication in the Air Transportation industry.
A great article, and makes perfect sense from their perspective. Less potential safety issues for them in theory. they of course are not looking at it from the perspective of 180k ama members, so obliviously they are not that affected by the changes as we are.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asking permission to fly within 5 miles of an airport? I don't think so. Informing the airport is ok but there are too many RC fields wishing 5 miles of an airport.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Frontline news of the passage of DRONE registration in my local paper yesterday. It clearly stated the pilot not the drone most be registered with the FAA. It also went on to say that local law enforcement agencies would be enforcing this mandate.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by crash99
Asking permission to fly within 5 miles of an airport? I don't think so. Informing the airport is ok but there are too many RC fields wishing 5 miles of an airport.
Like how many?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:34 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

In my state I will guess 40-60% of the RC fields are within 5 miles of a airport
Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
Thank you for the clarification and I do understand I can fly at fields non-AMA as long I am following the safety code.

I was under the impression that BLOS FPV was not allowed. So what you are saying is that if I fly 2 miles out at 400ft (in reality it is usually around 600-700ft) that I am within the "rules"?

I guess I need to re-read the AMA safety code!
Mike , please go to the AMA website and read the requirements for "AMA condoned FPV flight" . These can be found in Doc. #550 .

No where no way no how are you ever to stray beyond your LOS spotter's view of the aircraft if you are to remain #550 compliant !

Now , in effect , if you want to stay trapped within the confines of the visual field of view of your launch area and never stray BLOS , GREAT ! Your #550 compliant . BUT ! The second that craft leaves your required LOS spotter's sight , the AMA will disavow any association with you for having flown BLOS !

So , we the AMA endorse BLOS ABLE equipment ........ Equipment that by it's very design is fully intended to fly BLOS ....... And then totally prohibit ALL forms of BLOS ????? No wonder why the FAA wrote their way around #336 , cause they damn well knew that all this FPV equipment , whether being operated under the guise of AMA #550 FPV or not , WAS gonna be going "off the reservation" on a regular basis and in doing so will void the AMA endorsement of the flight .

Yes sir , BLOS UAS operations DO deserve to exist , just NOT under the guise of being LOS only model aircraft ! Really , I can't wait for my first delivery by Amazon drone delivery service , I just don't feel that it or any other BLOS ABLE craft fit into the description of model aircraft as should be affiliated with the AMA .

Last edited by init4fun; 12-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Boy, you just don't get it. It wasn't AMA members flying BLOS. It was non members that caused the problem. The mode is not the problem. It is the people.

Originally Posted by init4fun
Oh yes , Yes I DO get it , had the AMA not embraced BLOS ABLE craft , we'd have been Scott free with our #336 exemption .

You don't agree ?

I really couldn't care less , since you seem to have some vested interest in getting the whole hobby regulated for the actions of a small subset .

Let me make this perfectly clear to you Tim ;

YES , I AM WILLING TO SACRIFICE #550 FPV SO THAT THE REST OF THE HOBBY CAN CONTINUE AS IT'S ALWAYS DONE .

ANY BLOS ABLE CRAFT SHOULD BE IN A CLASSIFICATION APART FROM LOS ABLE ONLY CRAFT !

Like it , or kick your feet and cry , the two modes of flight ARE different enough to warrant a different set of regulations AND a different organization other than our LOS only representing organization . Done ......
Whooo There Bro don't let the water temp go over 212 ... ya'll blow a headgasket. Now as for BLOS being the problem It just Ain't so. 99% of all sightings (Near Misses) I'll wager that the (DRONE) was still in the LOS of the Owner/Operator. Could be wrong on the 99% more Like 100%. Anyway BLOS below 400' and in Uncongested areas is not only safe but boring as He[[. That's why people fly over crowded\s & congested areas like air ports etc. U certainly don't believe that big Octocopter that attacked the skier was BLOS, yet it definitely did become a Hazard.
It most certainly is the PIC Pilot IN COMMAND that is responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft also it's the same for flying R/C TOYs No mater what their configuration from a vapor to a 300lb B-29 with 4 100 cc engines to a Quad carrying a camera.
Personal Responsibility has been thrown out the window in this country and that will be our down fall in everything. Apparently that's what society wants. That's just to bad for the Human Race.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:58 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I have a question: What gives the FAA the authority to use MY local law enforcement to enforce some rules they have conjured up, that are not even law? We, the citizens of my community have not given permission to law enforcement to enforce such rules. At best this is an unfunded federal mandate. If the FAA wants to come up with this stuff, then they can deal with it on their own dime.
Verty the answer to Your question is so simple. The FAA is

GOD

when it comes to the NAS Just ask'em
Old 12-29-2015, 04:03 PM
HoundDog

Also , I'm not surprised in the least to see the selfish protestations of some here . If any other catagory of flying had grown beyond the realm of being a model aircraft , I'd want to see it split off into it's own separate endeavor as well . Just as Bicycles aren't regulated as Motorcycles are , So too should LOS model aircraft be subject to far less regulation than Tim's flying robot cameras should . Just common sense to some that the more evolved craft with enhanced capabilities should be considered a "new breed" and have a set of sensible operating guidelines of it's own , taking into account it's DIFFERENCE from a traditionally flown LOS model aircraft . Tim wants us all lumped in together , exactly what the AMA did , and now literal toy planes have to be registered like a Cessna , GREAT JOB TIM , maybe next we can have physical exams before being allowed to hold a TX too !!!!!!
Hey BRO Go right to the source & tell it to
GOD
ya know the FAA. Their the Ones U must convince,
Not your fellow R/C TOY flyers.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:05 PM
TimJ

I was under the impression that BLOS FPV was not allowed. So what you are saying is that if I fly 2 miles out at 400ft (in reality it is usually around 600-700ft) that I am within the "rules"?
I apologize if I gave that impression. Currently the AMA rules do not allow BLOS flight. AMA Document 550 will contain rules for FPV.

Last edited by TimJ; 12-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey BRO Go right to the source & tell it to
GOD
ya know the FAA. Their the Ones U must convince,
Not your fellow R/C TOY flyers.
Ah , I see the problem now ........

All this time , I've been talkin to DOG when all along I shoulda been talkin to GOD my bad , won't let it happen again
Old 12-29-2015, 04:33 PM
HoundDog

Ah , I see the problem now ........

All this time , I've been talkin to DOG when all along I shoulda been talkin to GOD my bad , won't let it happen again
keep that promise there BRo Just Kidden LOL
After 7 million or there abouts posts in these forums ... Has anybody changed their Mind on any subject presented here, ever? Come on Now, be Honest Yes or No and this Yes Or No doesn't read backwards either I Hope but some people can twist anything.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Oh yes , Yes I DO get it , had the AMA not embraced BLOS ABLE craft , we'd have been Scott free with our #336 exemption .
How can that be when the registration doesn't even include BLOS able craft?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Sport_Pilot

The guy claimed he didn't know POTUS was on the island, which is unbelievable
Why is his ignorance unbelievable? Most people never watch the news and don't go to sites that post the TSA's.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't have known. I don't check for notams and If I see anything about the potus I usually turn the channel
Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
I didn't see a mention of the guidance method described in the FAA guidelines. In fact, they specifically mentioned paper airplanes and Frisbees being exempted because of weight - not guidance. I believe free-flight is considered an aircraft. Rocket, gas, glow, electric, rubber band or hand-launch.

Hopefully this regulation will just collapse under the sheer weight of stupidity.
The answer to question 16 in the FAA's FAQs clearly states that " An "unmanned aircraft system includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft..." Any airborne object that does have there "communication links" is not considered to be s sUAS, and can therefore be flown without the owner's registration number. Based on this language, I believe model rockets (most of them, anyway) and free flight aircraft are exempt from the registration policy.

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
If you got a 333 exception wouldn't it make you legal?
I'm not sure. I just poked around on the FAA website and did some Google searches, but could not find anything that gives a path to flying FPV BLOS legally.
I am guessing that virtually all of the 333 waivers that the FAA has approved contain a clause that prohibits flight BLOS. I do not know of any instance where the FAA has permitted BLOS flight, for either commercial or hobby purposes.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:05 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why is his ignorance unbelievable? Most people never watch the news and don't go to sites that post the TSA's.
If you live in an area of a TFR and the AMA has your email, you should be receiving notam emails from the AMA.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:05 AM
rcmiket

Or he knew just used "i didn't know" as a excuse. It would be really hard to miss the news that the POUS was on your island for a week or so.
Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 AM
Rob2160

I see what you are saying, but........how is the normal Joe Blow supposed to know about TFR's? I only know about registration because I'm on RCU. And if he was compliant and not doing anything that was reckless or threatening, why should he be punished monetarily or with jail time?
The FAA currently have an App in Beta test that will make it very easy to know if you are inside a TFR. . Its called B4UFLY and has real time updates of current TFRs in addition to showing your proximity to airports. When complete it will also allow to to satisfy any notification requirements via the App for flights within 5 miles of an airport.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-30-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
A great article, and makes perfect sense from their perspective. Less potential safety issues for them in theory. they of course are not looking at it from the perspective of 180k ama members, so obliviously they are not that affected by the changes as we are.
Sadly, I think the 130,000 or so paying members of AMA are going to have a relatively muted voice against such groups. It's also the reason I think it's not a matter of IF non-commercial sUAS are capped at 400 feet AGL, but rather a matter of WHEN. Altitude separation is the simplest most reliable, and easily enforceable way to keep sUAS/UAS away from manned aircraft. Other alternatives like making AMA fields some sort of special use airspace is not starter - AOPA and manned aircraft groups will get that squashed. Lastly, allowing one set of rules for members of a dues paying organization and other set of rules for non-members probably won't survive this process - the whole equal protection under the law thing. AOPA members don't get waivers from FARs. BoatUS members don't get waivers from USCG or waterways rules. AAA members don't get ability to drive faster than non members.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:42 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Sadly, I think the 130,000 or so paying members of AMA are going to have a relatively muted voice against such groups. It's also the reason I think it's not a matter of IF non-commercial sUAS are capped at 400 feet AGL, but rather a matter of WHEN. Altitude separation is the simplest most reliable, and easily enforceable way to keep sUAS/UAS away from manned aircraft. Other alternatives like making AMA fields some sort of special use airspace is not starter - AOPA and manned aircraft groups will get that squashed. Lastly, allowing one set of rules for members of a dues paying organization and other set of rules for non-members probably won't survive this process - the whole equal protection under the law thing. AOPA members don't get waivers from FARs. BoatUS members don't get waivers from USCG or waterways rules. AAA members don't get ability to drive faster than non members.
So non-paying AMA members don't have a voice?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:47 AM
init4fun

How can that be when the registration doesn't even include BLOS able craft?
The drones that are being forced to register (along with our AMA approved #550 FPV equipped craft) aren't able to be flown BLOS if the pilot so desires ?

Sport , really , are you SO desperate to contradict someone that you have to post such nonsense ?

Really ?

A DJI Phantom , which most certainly is required to register , CAN"T be flown BLOS ?

Dude , please fact check your postings BEFORE ya post them . Pointing out such an obvious error gives me no great pleasure , in fact , it leads me to wonder if you really have been following along all this FAA registration business , or if you just drop in to post , ahem , , "facts" like you just posted as a bit of "hit and run" stirring of the pot ?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
If you live in an area of a TFR and the AMA has your email, you should be receiving notam emails from the AMA.
I don't and most people don't belong to the AMA.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Or he knew just used "i didn't know" as a excuse. It would be really hard to miss the news that the POUS was on your island for a week or so.
Mike
I missed it!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I don't and most people don't belong to the AMA.
I receive them from the AMA and appreciate the AMA sending them out. Just because you don't receive them doesn't mean you're not obligated to check them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.