Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
He says "I suppose you could shoot at trucks too.". Except trucks are not trespassing on your property, and people know they could hurt someone on the truck. A drone is just a machine.
It's about commercial use of the airspace we as modelers occupy it;s just that simple.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
It's about commercial use of the airspace we as modelers occupy it;s just that simple.

Mike
Modeling has nothing to do with it. They are trying to take our property away! Do you really want drones flying 200 feet over your property, not knowing what they are doing? I suppose next you can't install an antenna on top of your house.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
Also drone bandits will be a problem. Shoot them down with an air gun and take the goods! Technology is not the only issue.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:25 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Here's the text of letter Senator Nelson sent to the heads of three agency stakeholders:

To Administrator Huerta, Administrator Bolden, Secretary Carter and Secretary Johnson:

Technological advancements hold immense potential to improve lives, while also creating new, unintended dangers. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) are no exception to this. While industries clamor to integrate UAS into their operations to improve safety, increase efficiency, and promote growth, we must be vigilant to mitigate the safety and security risks that this new technology presents.

The characteristics of UAS—small, inexpensive, portable, and anonymous—lend themselves to nefarious uses by a range of actors, from criminals to lone-wolf terrorists. Ground-based fences and other security systems are not a practical deterrent to UAS, unbounded by altitude limitations. Each incident of a UAS sighted near an airport runway, or used to smuggle contraband over a prison wall, reminds us that this technology poses another kind of threat.

Because our national defense and critical infrastructure security systems are vulnerable to this threat, so we must evolve to meet it. To that end, I ask that your agencies increase collaboration to mitigate the risk posed by UAS to aviation, critical infrastructure, and national security.

Additionally, the safety of the skies relies on your agencies’ air traffic control operations to separate and de-conflict tens of thousands of flights per day, transporting millions of passengers and cargo. Rapidly evolving technology, paired with the exponential market penetration of UAS and the ease of use for operators with no aviation experience or knowledge, promise to deliver new challenges.

What strategies or technologies are you pursuing to prevent UAS from entering airspace above or immediately adjacent to critical infrastructure and sensitive locations? Are you considering additional airspace restrictions to address the flight characteristics and capabilities of UAS that differ from manned aircraft? What is the status of federal collaboration to meet these challenges in a manner that promotes safety without stifling growth in the UAS or traditional aviation industries?

Leveraging the expertise and efforts of your agencies through collaboration and communication will enable our nation to meet the threats and challenges posed by UAS and take advantage of the opportunities too. Congress should be your partner in these endeavors, and as we work to reauthorize aviation programs, I ask that you keep me informed of developments to promote safety and security for UAS.
Sincerely,
/s/ Senator Nelson
Just another Politician that knows Just enough about a subject to be dangerous. Doesn't have the common sense to realize that all Drones (FAA's inclusion of any R/C TOY as a UAS i.e. drone) ARE NOT EQUAL & ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. I'll bet he doesn't even know that the FAA has included R/C TOYS (Model R/C Aircraft) in with what the world and him consider a DRONE. i.e. QUADS Multi-Rotors NOT fixed wing airplane models or helicopters for that matter.

And these are the guys LEADING our country. God Save Us From congress and all the 2.3,4,&5 letter government types that are here to save us from ourselves.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM
HoundDog

Mike
All delivery as well as commercial an GA can be programed to go around i/r/ By Pass all known Registered R/C Flying fields and their flight areas. We Have the Technology the question do we want to Use it. Take all the Amazon distribution points in the USA and figure just how many R/C Flying fields there with in Their 10 mily delivery Zone.. Also check if any Amazon Where House is With in 5 miles of any towered airport.
U can equip any drone with ADS-B and program it to get out of the way of Maned Aircraft and each other for that mater after Jan 1 2020 because NOTHING will be flying in NAS with out the ADS-B Technology on board. Except Birds bugs and Dummies Of course.

Drone Delivery both Aerial and surface will be as common place 5 to 10 years from know as the Brown Trucks are to day. Just look how our hobby has progressed in the last 5 to 10 years DRONES Both Commercial and Hobby are here or coming to a place near U sooner that anyone thinks ... Man I Hope they archive there Threads and we can see how stupid things were.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
All delivery as well as commercial an GA can be programed to go around i/r/ By Pass all known Registered R/C Flying fields and their flight areas. We Have the Technology the question do we want to Use it. Take all the Amazon distribution points in the USA and figure just how many R/C Flying fields there with in Their 10 mily delivery Zone.. Also check if any Amazon Where House is With in 5 miles of any towered airport.
U can equip any drone with ADS-B and program it to get out of the way of Maned Aircraft and each other for that mater after Jan 1 2020 because NOTHING will be flying in NAS with out the ADS-B Technology on board. Except Birds bugs and Dummies Of course.

Drone Delivery both Aerial and surface will be as common place 5 to 10 years from know as the Brown Trucks are to day. Just look how our hobby has progressed in the last 5 to 10 years DRONES Both Commercial and Hobby are here or coming to a place near U sooner that anyone thinks ... Man I Hope they archive there Threads and we can see how stupid things were.
Better yet program them to follow roads, highways, rivers, etc. Or better yet let them fly above 500 feet. Eventually these may get very big as well. Do you want drones carrying a semi trailer over your house?

So they stay small and get real popular with everything from clothes, pizza, and condoms flying over your house, not several but thousands each day. Do you want that?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 PM
rcmiket

All delivery as well as commercial an GA can be programed to go around i/r/ By Pass all known Registered R/C Flying fields and their flight areas. We Have the Technology the question do we want to Use it. .
I highly doubt it.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 03:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

mike,
think cruise missiles.
they operate under 500 ft with terrain following and obstacle avoidance tech that was developed in the 80s.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I just saw a video on this issue as well, the programmed the units to avoid objects as small as a bird while in flight. I'm sure it can be done, but has to be pretty expensive.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:33 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
I just saw a video on this issue as well, the programmed the units to avoid objects as small as a bird while in flight. I'm sure it can be done, but has to be pretty expensive.

That was my thought.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

and, to aid in the other side "seeing and avoiding"
from the multirotorforums news gathering robot.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/thre...av-ugcs.30339/
Old 01-20-2016, 04:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

That was my thought.

Mike

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dpNV-zmjvkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found it. They called it a "quad-rotor"...lol, that's a new one on me. When I watched it in full I see they had an ultra micro plane programmed for structure avoidance as well. Pretty interesting.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Found it. They called it a "quad-rotor"...lol, that's a new one on me. When I watched it in full I see they had an ultra micro plane programmed for structure avoidance as well. Pretty interesting.
Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing!
+1, that was amazing.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog All delivery as well as commercial an GA can be programed to go around i/r/ By Pass all known Registered R/C Flying fields and their flight areas. We Have the Technology the question do we want to Use it. .
At just over 200 feet you will find kites, promotion balloons, model rockets, bottle rockets, model airplanes, and many other things that will not be on maps As well as the aforementioned airgun pellets. So I really don't think the Amazon proposal is a workable solution for them. They need to work with the FAA to use navigable airspace.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 AM
N410DC

At just over 200 feet you will find kites, promotion balloons, model rockets, bottle rockets, model airplanes, and many other things that will not be on maps As well as the aforementioned airgun pellets. So I really don't think the Amazon proposal is a workable solution for them. They need to work with the FAA to use navigable airspace.
Agreed. Furthermore, all parks, athletic fields, and residential backyards are now potential flying sites. Multirotors, and many small 3D planes and foamies can be flown in many backyards.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Almost 135 pound load capacity!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/huge-megac...130912852.html
Old 01-22-2016, 06:18 AM
HoundDog

I highly doubt it.

Mike
It's already being doe in Parts of Europe and Africa ... Mostly Medical samples where there is a clinic or lab to do different blood tests. They also deliver medical supplies
Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by mongo
mike,
think cruise missiles.
they operate under 500 ft with terrain following and obstacle avoidance tech that was developed in the 80s.
Try the Late 50's early 60's
The AGM28B Hound Dog Missile could follow terrain as low as 200. That was way back in the late 50'early 60's. It was air launched from a B-52 had inertial guidance (Long before GPS) Fly Low for 600 miles and climb to the altitude where it would detonate with 100 times the power of Hiroshima. And that was considered a very small atomic weapon.

Down on the deck at 700 Kts at altitude it hit 1200 MPH

[h=3]Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) - AOPA[/h]www.aopa.org/.../Air-Traffic-Serv...

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

Jun 3, 2015 - The issue: ADS-B, or Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, is a cornerstone of NextGen air traffic modernization, and the FAA has mandated that aircraft operating in airspace that now requires a Mode C transponder must be equipped with ADS-B Out by Jan. 1, 2020.

The equipment could be miniaturized so it can be used on Models and Drones. Look what they have done with GPS and auto pilots on our R/C TOYS already. No more Mid Airs at the R/C Field.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:55 AM
HoundDog

That's because it isn't manufactured in the Millions. R/C Radio systems were over $600 in 1960 dollars and nothing like the cheapest 4 channel Spectrum today. Even this ADS-B the least expensive unit is still over $800 and that doesn't include the installation. Now miniaturize it to the size of the spectrum receiver in an apprentice S Trainer Sell Millions and the price will fall and quality will go up expotinutily. It's all dependent on supply and demand. If U think of it they could be programed to turn at any altitude, Lets say when they go over 400' Just saying "We have the Technology" all we need is to use it.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:08 AM
rcmiket

It's already being doe in Parts of Europe and Africa ... Mostly Medical samples where there is a clinic or lab to do different blood tests. They also deliver medical supplies
We here in the US kinda do things a bit different than they do. Although the current administration is working really hard to push us in that direction.

Mike
Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Try the Late 50's early 60's
The AGM28B Hound Dog Missile could follow terrain as low as 200. That was way back in the late 50'early 60's. It was air launched from a B-52 had inertial guidance (Long before GPS) Fly Low for 600 miles and climb to the altitude where it would detonate with 100 times the power of Hiroshima. And that was considered a very small atomic weapon.

Down on the deck at 700 Kts at altitude it hit 1200 MPH

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) - AOPA

www.aopa.org/.../Air-Traffic-Serv...

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

Jun 3, 2015 - The issue: ADS-B, or Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, is a cornerstone of NextGen air traffic modernization, and the FAA has mandated that aircraft operating in airspace that now requires a Mode C transponder must be equipped with ADS-B Out by Jan. 1, 2020.

The equipment could be miniaturized so it can be used on Models and Drones. Look what they have done with GPS and auto pilots on our R/C TOYS already. No more Mid Airs at the R/C Field.
And then some poor little woodchuck stuck his head outta his hidey hole , and BOOM !
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
And then some poor little woodchuck stuck his head outta his hidey hole , and BOOM !
It's not BOOM! it's "Pop goes the Weasel" Now back in the hole woody scat. Besides we SHOOT woodchucks in Wisconsin Nasty Hole digg'n little critters.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:52 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Modeling has nothing to do with it. They are trying to take our property away! Do you really want drones flying 200 feet over your property, not knowing what they are doing? I suppose next you can't install an antenna on top of your house.
This is a thought to ponder for sure. The argument of who owns the air space can be a difficult one. I don't think I would mind drones flying over my house as long as they are way up there. If they are low then that will cause some discomfort.

As citizens, one would think we have some rights over what happens over our heads on our own land and also what happens under our feet on our own land. My suspicion is we will see a lot of law cases in the days ahead as more and more drones take to the skies.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:49 AM
HoundDog

Drones Including Ground based are going to be so prevalent in the next 5 to 10 years. No one will give it another thought . Who even imagined 100 years ago the skies would have over a quarter Million Registered airplanes and thousands, caring 90 to 380 passengers all over the world. There are 252.6 million Cars and trucks on 3,980,817 miles of roads in the United States,No won could have even fathomed anything like that100 years ago. Not even 70 years ago.

We have the Technology today to put hundreds of thousands of robotic vehicles on the road and in the air Especially if they are not all going to the same place at the same time as our hub and spoke system of air travel today. Just saying in 5 to 10 years it will all be a moot point. First the Enroute ATC will slowly disappear then Towers at air ports will disappear and computers will control every thing that flies . The FAA knows that that's why they are Fighting for control of every airborne vehicle and as much airspace as the possibly can, All in hopes they will still be a viable entity ounce the FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF2012 is put into full affect and eliminates thousand of controllers jobs. They will be replaced by computer repair, programing and installers.The technology is already here. The FAA is still in the dark ages of air space control.

That doesn't mean we should not FIGHT as one common body for our right not Privilege to our piece of the air space around us. Traditional R/V Model air planes have never been a problem, even above 400'AGL. It's time to stop bickering and nit picking about someones choice of font or name calling and figure a way to have the FAA Tackle the real problem of the uneducated ill informed people flying Non-Traditional "QUADS MR's DRONES" Where, When, & How they are not to be flown. If fail to accomplish that we deserve to be regulated out of our own Piece of the SKY. Now it is our choice. If U/we continue to bicker about nothing, then U/We/Me are a big part of the Problem Not the Solution. Remember we have the power, if we choose to be United .Divided we all will be regulated out of existence. Your choice. Simple as that.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-23-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.