Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Wrong. Many states prevented flying of model aircraft in certain areas. Still do. Also some states have laws about reckless operation of anything that moves. Also trespassing laws include model aircraft and sUAV. The FAA never had a say about this till the Pirker case.
Of course States have such laws and I never said they didn't . What I did say was that anytime I've seen prosecution resulting from airborne foolishness it was always the FAA bringing the charges . Cities and towns have such laws as well , but of course vary from locale to locale , which is the very reason a countrywide set of standards (the FAA) was established , so that aviation law would be universally applicable no matter what State you were in . In times past , any local model aircraft bans were mostly due to noise , and if someone flew something loud and the local law came , it resulted in no more that the person being shooed out of the park and it went no further provided the flyer didn't get mouthy with the officer .
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
And how would that apply to Pirker?
LOL, Yeah move the goal post!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Of course States have such laws and I never said they didn't . What I did say was that anytime I've seen prosecution resulting from airborne foolishness it was always the FAA bringing the charges . Cities and towns have such laws as well , but of course vary from locale to locale , which is the very reason a countrywide set of standards (the FAA) was established , so that aviation law would be universally applicable no matter what State you were in . In times past , any local model aircraft bans were mostly due to noise , and if someone flew something loud and the local law came , it resulted in no more that the person being shooed out of the park and it went no further provided the flyer didn't get mouthy with the officer .
Sorry but civil court took care of most of them in the past. But back then even morons knew not to fly them in front of aircraft. So it was basically model airplanes damaging people or property. Or banning them from flying here or there. But I see no reason to involve the federal government with flying a model airplane recklessly. I see no reason for that to be something uniform from state to state. The only issue the FAA needs to be concerned with is UAV hitting full scale aircraft. The rest is just making mountain's out of molehills.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 AM
init4fun

Sorry but civil court took care of most of them in the past. But back then even morons knew not to fly them in front of aircraft. So it was basically model airplanes damaging people or property. Or banning them from flying here or there. But I see no reason to involve the federal government with flying a model airplane recklessly. I see no reason for that to be something uniform from state to state. The only issue the FAA needs to be concerned with is UAV hitting full scale aircraft. The rest is just making mountain's out of molehills.
Yep , that was then , and now that we're lumped in with all other UAS under the FAA umbrella , this is the new reality .

Don't forget , the precedent of the Federal govt. bringing charges ahead of a State bringing charges is nothing new , just look at the Federal prosecution of the A hole bomber who blew up the Boston Marathon . The Feds charged him and sentenced him to death , SAVING my State (Massachusetts) the millions that trial would have cost .
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM
init4fun

Off topic rant ;

Is it just me , or is it really insulting to one's intelligence that every President's day the car manufacturers have actors dressed as Washington and Lincoln trying to sell cars ? Disrespectful to the Presidents depicted and dorky to me , yep , sounds about right ......
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Oink, oink. You cannot hide from the Bacon.
That's a fact Probably not even in SomeWhere. USA
But check this on when I Google Map Bacon

The Oink Cafe

4.1 (39)

Cafe·E Cactus Rd
Breakfast & lunch place known for bacon

Open until 2:00 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...23203032?hl=en

Bacon baby U hiding here in Somewhere?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Anyw....5995233?hl=en

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-09-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 AM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAA/FAA has since very long ago been mandated by congress to regulate the NAS (everything from ground up). States and locals are not allowed to set up their own flight standards, regulations and ATC's. To do so would create chaos, Imagine trying to fly from Miami to Seatlle under such conditions. Georgia would set up it's aerial version of its infamous speed traps, NY/NJ would set up toll points everywhere, Utah would prohibit flying on Sundays, parts of KY and TN would declare the air dry and no booze would be allowed inflight while overflying, Calif. would set up it's own noise and emissions certification testing stations, MN would require MN based insurance to overfly, IL would require all crews to meet certain integration standards, LA would require communications in both Cajun and English, MI would adopt the metric standard and altitudes would have to be in meters instead of feet while overflying.

The FAA controls the NAS and you really don't want it otherwise, trust me.

Last edited by hawkerone; 02-09-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
That's a fact Probably not even in SomeWhere. USA
But check this on when I Google Map Bacon

The Oink Cafe

4.1 (39)

Cafe·E Cactus Rd
Breakfast & lunch place known for bacon

Open until 2:00 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...23203032?hl=en

Bacon baby U hiding here in Somewhere?

Why not stop in and see for yourself?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Anyw....5995233?hl=en
Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yep , that was then , and now that we're lumped in with all other UAS under the FAA umbrella , this is the new reality .

Don't forget , the precedent of the Federal govt. bringing charges ahead of a State bringing charges is nothing new , just look at the Federal prosecution of the A hole bomber who blew up the Boston Marathon . The Feds charged him and sentenced him to death , SAVING my State (Massachusetts) the millions that trial would have cost .
I see no relevance of this to flying a model or UAV or drone and not even hitting somebody. Other than being reckless according to some smart ***** FAA inspector.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

CAA/FAA has since very long ago been mandated by congress to regulate the NAS (everything from ground up).
Wrong, only in navigable airspace.

Per USC 49. VII 40103 paragraph (b1)

"The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall develop plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace"
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

"The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall develop plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace"
Right...and what has the FAA defined as navigable airspace?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

I can't help but to agree with Sport on some of this. 10 days before the FAA makes "criminals" out of law abiding citizens! Awesome job you FAA tools!!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right...and what has the FAA defined as navigable airspace?
The FAA never defined it the USC did. All airspace above the minimum altitudes.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

The FAA never defined it the USC did. All airspace above the minimum altitudes.
Might wanna go back and double check that. Huerta was pretty clear...I'll give you a hint, it's lower than you think.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

I see no relevance of this to flying a model or UAV or drone and not even hitting somebody. Other than being reckless according to some smart ***** FAA inspector.
This guy couldn't leave well enough alone. He most definitely flew in the NAS, over and over. Once he openly promoted his commercial enterprise that was the end of the FAA looking the other way. His equipment is great, his films show some amazing stuff, to bad there is an amazing lack of common sense that goes along with it. Guess the fine did it's job...he's moved on to other countries, but still playing with fire.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_wUXUUbMPoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Might wanna go back and double check that. Huerta was pretty clear...I'll give you a hint, it's lower than you think.
They make that claim. Lots of lawyers and aviation experts disagree.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Right...and they have no incentive to disagree (cough cough..fees). What's the FAA's motive (other than the tin hat stuff ie more power)?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

This guy couldn't leave well enough alone. He most definitely flew in the NAS, over and over. Once he openly promoted his commercial enterprise that was the end of the FAA looking the other way. His equipment is great, his films show some amazing stuff, to bad there is an amazing lack of common sense that goes along with it. Guess the fine did it's job...he's moved on to other countries, but still playing with fire.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_wUXUUbMPoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I don't disagree that he was not safe. But they did not cite him for flying though navigable airspace or risking possible mid airs with full scale aircraft. What he did at UAV was nothing the FAA should be concerned with and minor enough to not write any law but let civil courts work if people or property are injured. IMO it was like using a sledgehammer on a fly. And definitely has put the FAA on target for lawyers to make a name for themselves.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM
rcmiket

Lots of lawyers and aviation experts disagree.

Along with Lions and Tigers and Bears ,Oh My.

Mike
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
mike1974

I don't disagree that he was not safe. But they did not cite him for flying though navigable airspace or risking possible mid airs with full scale aircraft. What he did at UAV was nothing the FAA should be concerned with and minor enough to not write any law but let civil courts work if people or property are injured. IMO it was like using a sledgehammer on a fly. And definitely has put the FAA on target for lawyers to make a name for themselves.
I agree, but I believe we are in the minority on these boards. Although we are only talking about a handful of peoples opinions here.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM
init4fun

The video you posted is the perfect example of why the FAA is involved with UAS , no matter how much Sport protests . In the stone age (20 years ago ) model airplanes and model helicopters weren't being flown in that manner , IN Sport's much belabored NAS . They were being flown in parks & at club fields . Skip forward a few eons (or 20 years , whichever) and we have people routinely flying where full scale can be expected to be found .

Sounds like the perfect recipe for Federal involvement to me ......
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Eh? Go back and look what he was charged with. He wanted attention, and he got it. Tell me other than Schulman, what other atty has gained notoriety in dealing with the FAA? None. Why? Because there is no MONEY in it. The FAA could care less who came after them, for every atty coming at them, they have 10 to throw back.

Originally Posted by mike1974
I agree, but I believe we are in the minority on these boards. Although we are only talking about a handful of peoples opinions here.
True enough, there are diffing opinions. The only one that counts though..is the FAAs at this point. What they say goes, at least for a loong loooong time.

The video you posted is the perfect example of why the FAA is involved with UAS , no matter how much Sport protests . In the stone age (20 years ago ) model airplanes and model helicopters weren't being flown in that manner , IN Sport's much belabored NAS . They were being flown in parks & at club fields . Skip forward a few eons (or 20 years , whichever) and we have people routinely flying where full scale can be expected to be found .

Tooling around here or there wasn't a big deal, especially when it was overseas. Coming here, buzzing the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statute of Liberty post 9/11 was nothing more than an investigation to scrutiny. Flying recklessly at the the college, then promoting the fact that it was a paid gig was the icing on the cake. I suspect he knew all along what the outcome would be, or at least most of it. It was a marketing strategy like no other in the RC world that I can think of. Thousands and thousands of dollars of free promotion, probably something close to 6 figures ie 100,000 of free legal defense work (confirmed by BS), and a paltry fine.

There is no sane or reasonable person than can look at one he does over city areas, and populated areas and come away thinking it's not reckless. It's delusional to say otherwise.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
mike1974

Hey init,

I'm sure the videos are out there, but I have only seen about 4 in the last year where people are flying FPV where you would expect full scale to fly. Those were cloud surfing. Most of the FPV videos I have seen are either somewhat low to the ground or flying around people and structures. I would not expect to find full scale in these locations.

I will be interested to see if the FAA (after 2-19-16) sends out a team to stakeout my house for possibly days, weeks, months until I fly again to catch me flying unregistered within the AMA safety code. Should only cost them a few hundred thousand dollars. lol.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

Wrong again - Navigable AirSpace (NAS) is from the surface up. Go read the FAR's. All planes and helicopters operate at some phase of flight up and down from/to the surface.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by hawkerone
CAA/FAA has since very long ago been mandated by congress to regulate the NAS (everything from ground up). States and locals are not allowed to set up their own flight standards, regulations and ATC's. To do so would create chaos, Imagine trying to fly from Miami to Seatlle under such conditions. Georgia would set up it's aerial version of its infamous speed traps, NY/NJ would set up toll points everywhere, Utah would prohibit flying on Sundays, parts of KY and TN would declare the air dry and no booze would be allowed inflight while overflying, Calif. would set up it's own noise and emissions certification testing stations, MN would require MN based insurance to overfly, IL would require all crews to meet certain integration standards, LA would require communications in both Cajun and English, MI would adopt the metric standard and altitudes would have to be in meters instead of feet while overflying.

The FAA controls the NAS and you really don't want it otherwise, trust me.
Well said !

In Television's early days , the major companies all had developed their own different systems (scanning frequencies and such) that weren't compatable with each other . If they had their way , the different regions would be a captive market since a Philco or Dumont system TV wouldn't have worked in an RCA area , TV would have been truly region specific . In the midst of all the lawsuits the FCC established the "NTSC" the National Television Standards Committiee , to establish a set of operating parameters that would be applied nationwide . The horizontal scanning rate was NTSC mandated to be 525 lines , each channel was 6 MHZ wide , and so on .

I tell the above in deference to Sport's continued assertions that "Federal govt. = BAD !!!" , in the case of the NTSC , they worked it out well for us civilians ....

Last edited by init4fun; 02-09-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.