Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
nope wont let anyone know what i got and if we stop talking about it it mght go away
Old saying goes ................ " Nothing Lasts Forever " !
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[h=1]Drone Registration (rant) From Down Under.[/h]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EibOU6FfXo&feature=em-subs_digest-g
Old 10-25-2015, 05:48 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

.silent,
near as i can tell from talking to several governmentese specialized legal sources, all it take to be a "CBO" is, to be an organization and declare yourself a "CBO".
after that is is up to each department or agency to either recognize or not your "programming"
no department or agency will ever declare any group to be a CBO
Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... Is the AMA a community based organization, or isn't it? Does a community based organization even exist?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Registering drones will be as successful in preventing accidents as registering cars have been in preventing car accidents. Registration is just a revenue stream for the government. Technology is a wonderful thing, those who accept personal responsibility and exercise some common sense will get a lot of fun out it. Technology also allows those with a pocket full of cash and a 2 mile per hour brain, to purchase and operate a 100+ mile per hour drone anywhere 24/7.

Watching the show Sharktank Friday night, all five "sharks" joined in on a deal with some drone entrepreneurs, they claimed their drone could go to 10,000 ft., operate out of line of sight following GPS coordinates, at speeds over 100mph, etc. Was surprised that none of the sharks saw the potential dangers involved. Drone related fatalities is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. 99% of folks will use this technology responsibly, don't have an answer for other 1%.
You do understand the FAA is legitimizing that type of operation don't you?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
I have a great idea!

Instead of banning a certain type(s) of aircraft, let's ban crashes! That will solve all of the issues at hand.

Astro
Better yet lets ban crashing into full scale planes. There problem solved. Makes more sense than registering millions of toy's IMO.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Does a community based organization even exist?
You mean like the one for home built aircraft, or the one for gun owners, or the one for hang gliders, and another one for ultralights?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 PM
N410DC

After reading this thread, it's apparent that we can very little at this point, aside from the "wait and see" approach. I seriously doubt that the DOT/FAA will endeavor to require registration of all model aircraft, given the logistical impossibility of keeping track of millions of devices (not to mention the fact that many of these things are created destroyed on a very, frequent basis.) This brings to light the real challenge: what parameters should the FAA adopt to clearly indicate which sUAVs must be registered, and which ones are exempt? Clearly, the FAA's concern is focused very heavily on incidents that involved quadcoptors that were not being used for commercial purposes. It's therefore logical to assume that the parameters will include a large number of quadcoptors. So, will the registration rule only apply to multirotors? If so, will registration only apply to multirotors over a certain wright? Will it matter whether or not the multirotor is equipped with a camera? None of these questions (or the dozens of other questions posed thus far in this thread) can be answered at this time.

If the FAA does decide to require registration of model aircraft that are used solely for hobby and recreational purposes, I think it wold be perfectly reasonable to exempt all aircraft that have the pilot's AMA number on or inside the aircraft, in accordance with the AMA Safety Code. Exemptions could also be offered to Amateur radio operates who put their call sign on the video transmitter of FPV-equipped aircraft, as required by FCC regulations. The goal of registration is to allow authorities to track down the owner of a sUAV, if the sUAV is involved in illegal activity. The AMA's and FCC's databases can do this just as well as an FAA database.

In the end, I do not think registration will stop the highly publicized sUAV incidents that we have seen recently. Most of these pilots know that they are breaking the law. Many, perhaps most, of these people will not register their aircraft, or if they have already done so, they will remove or alter any means of identification from the aircraft before they take pictures from the 50 year line at the Super Bowl. If removal or alteration of identification is difficult or possible (e.g. the registration is linked to a serial number that is electronically encoded into the built-in flight controller,) the pilots will simply use an aircraft that has no serial number, or a serial number that is easy to alter or remove.This is akin to filing off the serial number of a firearm before it is used to commit a crime, a tactic that has been used successfully for many, many years.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Probably a good time to remind folks about this. I'm sure everyone has already seen this, it's been around for a little while.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ry/UA/#SmallUA

I've highlighted 3 areas that are germane to the discussion (emphasis added by me):

Registration is not required for model aircraft operated solely for hobby or recreational purposes. Guidelines for responsible hobby and recreational operations are available at http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/.
Registration is required for all unmanned aircraft (UA) operated for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes.
Registration is also required for Government UA. All Aircraft owned by agencies, offices or subdivisions of: the United States (other than aircraft of the U.S. Armed Forces), the States, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States are required to be registered.

What are the chances that this group of 20 or so industry leaders are going to completely revise this and require that every single rc aircraft be registered? I say slim and none. They have a nice framework already in place from which to work from, and a short period of time tom complete this task. If they follow what's already there, I say there will be no big earth shattering change to this hobby. If you want to haul around a 40 pound 8 bladed uav for commercial purposed in the NAS, well then, get ready for some serious paperwork. I've got no problem with that.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_S
As a flyer whose flying is restricted to AMA chartered fields, I see the value in differentiating between models which do not fly in designated airspace and those that do. You yourself said there should be a way that works for all sUAS. As has been humorously highlighted here, a single blanket approach probably will not work efficiently.`
How/why do you feel that you are "restricted to AMA chartered fields"?
Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by porcia83
Probably a good time to remind folks about this. I'm sure everyone has already seen this, it's been around for a little while.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ry/UA/#SmallUA

I've highlighted 3 areas that are germane to the discussion (emphasis added by me):

Registration is not required for model aircraft operated solely for hobby or recreational purposes. Guidelines for responsible hobby and recreational operations are available at http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/.
Registration is required for all unmanned aircraft (UA) operated for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes.
Registration is also required for Government UA. All Aircraft owned by agencies, offices or subdivisions of: the United States (other than aircraft of the U.S. Armed Forces), the States, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States are required to be registered.

What are the chances that this group of 20 or so industry leaders are going to completely revise this and require that every single rc aircraft be registered? I say slim and none. They have a nice framework already in place from which to work from, and a short period of time tom complete this task. If they follow what's already there, I say there will be no big earth shattering change to this hobby. If you want to haul around a 40 pound 8 bladed uav for commercial purposed in the NAS, well then, get ready for some serious paperwork. I've got no problem with that.
You are correct; registration of model aircraft that are used strictly for hobby and recreational purposes is not currently required. However, this may change in the very near future, since the DOT/FAA are currently focused on regulating small sUAVs that have that have endangered the national airspace system, despite the fact that these aircraft were designed, sold, and intended to be used solely for hobby and recreational purposes.

I agree that the chances that every since R/C aircraft will need to be registered are "slim to none." However, I think some of these aircraft (particularly medium sized and larger multirotor aircraft) will need to be registered.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by N410DC
You are correct; registration of model aircraft that are used strictly for hobby and recreational purposes is not currently required. However, this may change in the very near future, since the DOT/FAA are currently focused on regulating small sUAVs that have that have endangered the national airspace system, despite the fact that these aircraft were designed, sold, and intended to be used solely for hobby and recreational purposes.

I agree that the chances that every since R/C aircraft will need to be registered are "slim to none." However, I think some of these aircraft (particularly medium sized and larger multirotor aircraft) will need to be registered.
Registration Quads used for recreation is stupid. It will Not in anyway or form solve the problem. It's akin to Registering Hand Guns ... Those that are law abiding (99.999%) will comply. The problem here is these guys aren't the problem. The .0001% that blatantly/Unknowingly or feel the rules don't apply to them "ARE THE PROBLEM. They are a problem for the public (Flying/Ect) the Industry and our Hobby/Sport as a whole. Let's not so to speak "Through the Baby out with the Bath Water". There has to be an alternative to massive legislation/Registration and a the bureaucratic Quagmire it will create. The Answer is EDUCATION. Not only the Quad (DRONE) pilots but the DOT/FAA/Press/Public. Again for what's worth it's JMHO
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 AM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

If anybody noticed, the Government all but destroyed general aviation starting in the late1970's with all the rules placed on pilots, and mfg's. Now not even doctors can afford to own and fly say a cessna 182 as they cost about 250K all due to the government b.s.
The same thing can happen here with toy airplanes
Old 10-26-2015, 08:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC

Usage of the aircraft looks to be the trigger...so even a smaller sub 1lb "drone" used for commercial purposes might need to be registered. If it's doing commercial work and flying in the NAS, I have no problem with that. The owner will need to decide if it's really worth it to go through the hassle of either complying, or if it's worth the risk of not complying. I have a feeling the govt is going to make some examples for non compliance once the rules are laid out. I just don't see them making us register hobby grade aircraft...the bureaucracy of that would be stunning.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You do understand the FAA is legitimizing that type of operation don't you?
Absolutely. These new drone entrepreneurs are mixing a drone platform and smartphones, which in my opinion will increase the number of drones in the air and will cause a drone related fatality to happen sooner. The drone issue is like the texting and driving issue, idiots will ignore the law and do whatever they damn well please. You will not find me trying to video aircraft landing /taking off from airports with a drone, I realize the dangers involved and such video is not the worth the risk. No desire to become some you-tube hero.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Absolutely. These new drone entrepreneurs are mixing a drone platform and smartphones, which in my opinion will increase the number of drones in the air and will cause a drone related fatality to happen sooner. The drone issue is like the texting and driving issue, idiots will ignore the law and do whatever they damn well please. You will not find me trying to video aircraft landing /taking off from airports with a drone, I realize the dangers involved and such video is not the worth the risk. No desire to become some you-tube hero.
No I mean commercial operation of drones. The reference you gave seemed to be for a commercial drone.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Not realy the same thing as gun registration. Any idiot off the street cannot walk into a gun shop and purchase a gun without some sort of checking, despite what some want you to believe.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Better yet lets ban crashing into full scale planes. There problem solved. Makes more sense than registering millions of toy's IMO.

Even better let's ban idiots.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by chip_MG
If anybody noticed, the Government all but destroyed general aviation starting in the late1970's with all the rules placed on pilots, and mfg's. Now not even doctors can afford to own and fly say a cessna 182 as they cost about 250K all due to the government b.s.
The same thing can happen here with toy airplanes
And despite that flying in the average small GA plane (not a bizjet), is one of the most dangerous methods of travel. Motorcycles being the worst.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Lamoilleriver

No I mean commercial operation of drones. The reference you gave seemed to be for a commercial drone.
These entrepreneurs were really promoting two different platforms, one would certainly have commercial value, ie. property surveys after a flood or fire, wedding videos, surveillance, etc. certainly not as large an operation as I believe businesses like UPS, Fed-Ex, etc. foresee. They also had a smaller platform that would hold and be operated thru one's smartphone, certainly do not see one bring down a jet liner, but do see some crashing down on folks and causing injuries. Foresee a lot of new drones in the air and the odds of problems with them increasing drastically.

Government has an interest to protect the public, businesses have plans to make profits and the two will work together to regulate the airspace in their favor at the expense of the hobbyist. They are just waiting for a crisis and most likely already have plans laid out to do it.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I see Walmart is applying to use drones for delivery, all we need right now!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I see Walmart is applying to use drones for delivery, all we need right now!
Just saw that. Talk about just what we NEED......................................

Mike
Old 10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

They (Walmart) are slowly loosing ground to Amazon, little by little. Amazon is already building multiple warehouses and distribution centers in states so that delivery times are shrunk from a week, to two days )Prime), to one day (express delivery), to their latest model...which is 30 minutes. In some cases quicker than a pizza delivery. Their predictive modeling based on thousands of bits of data intelligence is probably far greater than we can imagine. Google, Facebook, and Amazon are the giants of data now, at least on the consumer end.

All of the companies are doing this to satisfy customer demand (not really a need mind you). Walmart is already behind the curve on this, if it's even something they will really consider. But god knows they are big enough to do it. Perhaps the requirements to fly these commercially will be to cumbersome and not cost effective. Based on the prior info from the FAA is sure looks daunting.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM
joancmigneault

According to the Government, ALL RC aircraft are considered drones. If I register mine, I WANT AN "N" NUMBER just like thwe full size aircraft!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Registration Quads used for recreation is stupid. It will Not in anyway or form solve the problem. It's akin to Registering Hand Guns ... Those that are law abiding (99.999%) will comply. The problem here is these guys aren't the problem. The .0001% that blatantly/Unknowingly or feel the rules don't apply to them "ARE THE PROBLEM. They are a problem for the public (Flying/Ect) the Industry and our Hobby/Sport as a whole. Let's not so to speak "Through the Baby out with the Bath Water". There has to be an alternative to massive legislation/Registration and a the bureaucratic Quagmire it will create. The Answer is EDUCATION. Not only the Quad (DRONE) pilots but the DOT/FAA/Press/Public. Again for what's worth it's JMHO
I certainly agree. Regulating hobbyists will never prevent criminals from breaking the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.