Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Oh, and AMA, it would not appear that suing the FAA has earned us any good will either. ANOTHER waste of our membership money!
That's my money too and I'm glad they sued. Money well spent exercising our legal options.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"The AMA’s
role and responsibilities have
changed dramatically in that
time. We have had to spend
more than $1 million on
government relations to keep
model aviation free of onerous
restrictions and regulations."

So this doesn't fall under the above?

Mike
So tell me, what specifically has happened over the past year from a governmental standpoint, onerous and restrictive regulation wise for this hobby, that has affected you. Do you really think you're going to have to register your SE5 with the authorities when you're done building it?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:27 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
So tell me, what specifically has happened over the past year from a governmental standpoint, onerous and restrictive regulation wise for this hobby, that has affected you. Do you really think you're going to have to register your SE5 with the authorities when you're done building it?
It's not about me. It's about the hobby as a whole. I'm just pointing out that this ain't panning out as planned as I and many others have pointed out time after time and been blown off as jerks and AMA haters.. The DOT is now involved where will it end?

Off to a Fun Fly
Mike
Old 10-18-2015, 05:36 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That's my money too and I'm glad they sued. Money well spent exercising our legal options.
And what exactly has this expenditure produced? A victory in court? No.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

who thinks up all this junk on this site
Old 10-18-2015, 06:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Are the results of the court case publicly available? If so, where?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 AM
[email protected]

the more u talk about things the more it will happen
Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NO !! I will not be registering any model airplanes ! It is the same as my firearm's, " OVER MY DEAD BODY " !!!

Just a certain few are ruining every recreation in the world for all others and I am not about to play along with this crap !

Last edited by Granpooba; 10-18-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

What would be your idea of a quantifiable "victory" in court?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
NO !! I will not be registering any model airplanes ! It is the same as my firearm's, " OVER MY DEAD BODY " !!!

Just a certain few are ruining every recreation in the world for all others and I am not about to play along with this crap !
Well you won't need to..just more alarmist talk. Say, you're guns aren't registered?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well you won't need to..just more alarmist talk. Say, you're guns aren't registered?
And he's from NY?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM
cj_rumley

It's probably just a trifle..........certainly the Alliance for Multirotor Antics will soon announce another campaign in response to the misguided gummit goons.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
It's probably just a trifle..........certainly the Alliance for Multirotor Antics will soon announce another campaign in response to the misguided gummit goons.
Ha! That's a good one...
Old 10-18-2015, 10:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
And he's from NY?
Hey...i guess they are doing things differently in New York now. No licensing or registration for guns now. Who woulda thought it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	colddeadhands.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2126041  
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 AM
rattledcanary1

Considering the current $ woe's, find it hard to believe enforcement on presently owned model aircraft is really at the top of the Gov's "to do" list-

"House Republicans return to Washington this week to confront a nearly unprecedented leadership crisis, looming budget deadlines and a deeply uncertain future." WASHINGTON — Oct 18, 2015, 8:35 AM Erica Werner, ap congressional correspondent

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-mess-34554047

They'll likely make registration mandatory for any new purchases and existing aircraft will be grandfathered
Old 10-18-2015, 11:54 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any time the government gets involved with something whether it's what kind of milk you drink what kind of plant you smoke, it is going to make the situation worse. The only thing Washington can do is fail....at nearly everything. The only thing it does successfully is overspend and over tax us into an 18.5 trillion dollar hole, one that can never be repaid.
So how is the government going to regulate this part of the hobby without entirely messing things up? Think Amtrak, Medicare, Medicaid, the war on drugs, the war on poverty and the war on terrorism: all failures, all costly to the point where any sane businessman would have closed the doors a long time ago.
DOT is another bureaucracy run wild just like the EPA and we all know how well they've been doing their job lately but it's always the bureaucrats in Washington who seriously believe the know better and they know what's best for us and just like every other bureaucracy, it tends to expand its authority over more of our lives.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 PM
birddogs2
My Feedback: (2)

The DOT didn't just get involved in this, the FAA is an agency within the DOT.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rattledcanary1
Considering the current $ woe's, find it hard to believe enforcement on presently owned model aircraft is really at the top of the Gov's "to do" list-

"House Republicans return to Washington this week to confront a nearly unprecedented leadership crisis, looming budget deadlines and a deeply uncertain future." WASHINGTON — Oct 18, 2015, 8:35 AM Erica Werner, ap congressional correspondent

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-mess-34554047

They'll likely make registration mandatory for any new purchases and existing aircraft will be grandfathered
It's not going to be a priority, and it's not going to happen. I mentioned it earlier, and will do so again. The title of this thread is like clickbaiting titles from AOL and Buzzfeed. The realy "story" if you can call it that was about "DRONES"....nowhere did it say anything about aircraft. But that didn't stop the the select few who are anti AMA and anti govt from spinning this as an AMA failure, and in classic propaganda like fashion, try to twist this into the whole hobby being affected.

What is proposed, and floated as a trial balloon to gauge acceptance of the public and constituents, and what will actually BE, are two different things. Regulation of big time commerical drones that will affect air space is a no brainer, that makes sense. The involvement of hobby grade stuff, not so much. I don't buy into the DOT or FAA making some bizarre "power grab" looking for this to be a new area to delve into, they can barely manage what's on their plate right now.

I don't think anyone has to worry about their UMX Carbon Z Cub being registered anytime soon. It's just not going to happen. The alarmists should just stop already.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Granpooba

Well some are and maybe some are not ! LOL
Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

[h=1]FAA document AC 91-57A - Model Aircraft Operating Standards doesn't even contain the word drone in it anywhere:[/h]https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1028086
Old 10-18-2015, 02:04 PM
franklin_m

We have legislatures all over the country writing and passing or attempting to pass laws regulating "drones" and tomorrow the DOT will be making an announcement about something that may well affect our hobby.

Ask yourself this? "Since AMA embraced what the public and lawmakers call 'drones' (quads) and FPV, is our hobby generally more at risk of regulation or less at risk?"
Old 10-18-2015, 02:40 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We have legislatures all over the country writing and passing or attempting to pass laws regulating "drones" and tomorrow the DOT will be making an announcement about something that may well affect our hobby.

Ask yourself this? "Since AMA embraced what the public and lawmakers call 'drones' (quads) and FPV, is our hobby generally more at risk of regulation or less at risk?"
The AMA has thrown almost 80 years of member support and history under the bus, just so they could embrace the drone market. It was driven by dollars, period.

Regarding registration, I would have no problem paying a fee to a government agency in exchange for a "tail number" in exchange for being left alone to fly fixed wing, line of sight, traditional RC aircraft.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Granpooba

" Personally " speaking, I would have to say more at risk. But also I have to say and speaking from experience with the FAA, who the hell is going to police the hobby They can not even do the job that is assigned to them now !

Also, I really wish somebody would explain to me how what started out as QUAD COPTERS, has now spilled over to every RC model aircraft being DRONE labeled.

Quite a number of years ago I considered applying for a position that was being offered by our Federal Government / Military. They were looking for real life civilian pilots with radio controlled aircraft experience. The positions being offered was to fly " DRONES " for the military.
The DRONES that you would be flying were radio controlled AIRPLANES, not QUAD COPTERS !

So just how in the hell did this DRONE label spill over onto every type of radio controlled aircraft.

I can only assume that I am getting stupid In my old age as this is really starting to confuse me. Perhaps I will go back to building and running radio controlled cars and boats. At least I know what their label means.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Well some are and maybe some are not ! LOL
Haha...got it...we shall speak no more of this.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

An absolute classic example of a false equivalency. Fallacy at it's best. Stupefying in it's misguided attempt at making one thing contingent on the other.

Ask this instead "would all of this be happening without the AMA having been involved". The answer of course is yes, absolutely.

"Would there be a group of people here whining incessantly if the AMA had never been involved, and even worse oversight and rules/regs been issued"? Oh yes, most certainly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.