Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:41 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nor was calling him an idiot. I don't get why someone disagreeing with someone else has to result in calling that person a troll, an idiot, or a retard. Sad really.
they do it for the same reason other folk call folks that do not agree with them "haters"
Old 11-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
You beat me to it!!! lol.

See, even in a thread like this, no one knows what a "drone" really is.

Lamo, i'm glad you think i'm not flying a drone when i'm out flying my foam glider FPV non-los!!! I'm just picking a little; nothing rude intended.
I forget the exact year but it was either 1974 or 1977 when our military started to introduce " radio controlled model airplanes " into its arsenal.
If somebody wants to do the research, they can most likely pin down the exact year. But as I was saying, that is when our military started to play with what they labeled as " DRONES ". In our language we do call them " Radio Control Model Airplanes ".

Last edited by Granpooba; 11-10-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
Hi porcia,

I understand we do not have to register now and that there is nothing in place stating that. I also understand that AMA is optional, as well as following their guidlines. The consequences of such disregard being that you won't have the AMA insurance barring an incident.

I was just curious if they had addressed registering aircraft flown on private property.

I personally have had it with rules, restrictions, guidlines, whatever. I really don't care what they decide. My aircraft are not getting registered. Period. Enough with the gov't overreach/overreacting BS.
Glad you agree, at least I'm not losing my mind. I also tire of the constant involvement of govt (local,state, federal) in our lives as well. It would be nice to go back to a simpler time I suppose, but technology and big business is not going to let that happen. Complying with whatever new edict is enacted will be a personal choice. Chances are nothing will ever come from not complying for the overwhelming amount of rc pilots.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
they do it for the same reason other folk call folks that do not agree with them "haters"
I guess you're right, it might be different to lump someone into a group of people rather than calling them a specific name like idiot, but the principle is the same. Hard not to do with many passionate feelings involved, but ultimately it might take away from what might be good information.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:37 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all actually. There is no requirement to register your planes. I've asked the other guy repeatedly to prove this, and rather than answering, he's doubling down and twisting and spinning. Some people will simply not admit when they are wrong. Did you get news that we are required to register planes?

I"m the other guy and you still have not provided any info saying just what is to be registered. No twist . No spin. No doubling down, just a simple link to anything that specifies just what is to be registered. If you had it you'd post it.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I"m the other guy and you still have not provided any info saying just what is to be registered. No twist . No spin. No doubling down, just a simple link to anything that specifies just what is to be registered. If you had it you'd post it.

Mike
At this point you just respond for the sake of responding and arguing. One step up from I know you are but what am I. I don't have to provide any specifics, nothing is set in stone yet. That was sort of my whole point in asking you if you are registering your plane. See above red...as of today, NOTHING is to be.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM
franklin_m

The original funding was in part for educational programs, which to date have been pretty successful.
By what measure? Certainly not fewer drone encounters being reported to FAA. Certainly not reduced threat of additional regulation. So I'm really curious to see what justifies "pretty successful." What metric?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM
franklin_m

In your opinion. You can post in blue,red or purple it's just your take on it. Reality hits in another week. Bottom line this is one hell of a mess the AMA has gotten us into..

Mike
Amen. AMA chose to ebrace MRs rather than reject them. That clear distinction between hobby, non-hobby, responsible, non-responsible, programming governed and non-programming governed was, at a minimum, blurred. And we know policy makers, the media, and the public don't do well with fine nuances that result from "blurred" distinctions.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Why don't you enlighten the us and show us where it says "if you are not flying at an AMA field or an AMA sanctioned event, you are not bound by the rules of the AMA"
AMA does not govern the NAS. Section 336 of LAW, which does govern NAS, does not mention the AMA. It alludes to an unnamed CBO programming. That need not be the AMA. While the AMA views itself as a CBO, I don't know that the FAA has recognized them as such.

Now, I will say that IF, I repeat IF, you want to be covered by AMA insurance, fly in a sanctioned event, or at a sanctioned field, then you need to follow AMA safety code. But otherwise, only section 336 and FAA regulations govern - not AMA.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL
.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
Drones can take-off and land just about anywhere, not as easy a task for traditional aircraft. Can't remember where I saw the list of the 25 groups gathering with the FAA to work on the drone issue, do remember that 5 of the groups represented the commercial delivery drone industry, plain to see whose bread was going to get buttered. The AMA and us hobbyists are just an annoyance to be dealt with, registration is just the first step, if you wish to believe that it will be(registration) free and easy, call me, I'm selling a statue of a lady in NY Harbor.
The DOT/FAA ain't gona let any Drone fly in Class B or C airspace with out all the equipment required for flying in Class B or C airspace.

Most Class B airspace extends from the surface to 10,000 feet MSL with a circular diameter of 40 nautical miles.
Pilots must obtain a clearance from air traffic control (ATC) before entering Class B airspace and then maintain radio contact with ATC. Aircraft must be equipped with an altitude-encoding transponder.
Pilots must hold at least a private pilot certificate to enter. Or, a sport, recreational, or student certificate if certain advanced training requirements are met — although many Class B airports prohibit any student pilot solo flights.

Most Class C airspace extends from the surface to 4,000 feet above ground level (agl), with a circular diameter of 20 nautical miles.
An air traffic control (ATC) clearance is not required in Class C airspace, but pilots must be in radio communication with ATC, and aircraft must be equipped with an altitude-encoding transponder.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

At this point you just respond for the sake of responding and arguing. One step up from I know you are but what am I. I don't have to provide any specifics, nothing is set in stone yet. That was sort of my whole point in asking you if you are registering your plane. See above red...as of today, NOTHING is to be.
from post 309, in this thread where the entire AMA release is quoted, comes the following line of what the AMA thinks that the DOT WANTS REGISTERED. they somewhat disagree with this, as expected.

"The DOT is looking at the full spectrum of sUAS that would be subject to registration, and AMA agrees that registration may be appropriate at some level; however, before the process can be established, AMA believes that a threshold must be identified that will determine which platforms, what aircraft with what capabilities, will require registration and which will not."
Old 11-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
AMA does not govern the NAS. Section 336 of LAW, which does govern NAS, does not mention the AMA. It alludes to an unnamed CBO programming. That need not be the AMA. While the AMA views itself as a CBO, I don't know that the FAA has recognized them as such.

Now, I will say that IF, I repeat IF, you want to be covered by AMA insurance, fly in a sanctioned event, or at a sanctioned field, then you need to follow AMA safety code. But otherwise, only section 336 and FAA regulations govern - not AMA.
I was specifically referring to the AMA Safety Code. You agree to it when you sign your membership application. It applies irregardless of where you fly.

See the bottom of page 1.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdf
Old 11-10-2015, 02:02 PM
rcmiket

Why not just put this to rest right now? If you had definitive proof of just what is to be registered you'd post it so quick your head would spin just to prove me wrong. Since you don't you can't. End of story. Now in 10 days we will know won't we? I think we can agree on that.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really fail to see how all this ranting and raving is accomplishing anything !
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Granpooba
t doesn't but it does serve as therapy for some.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
My post count is going up.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
franklin_m

I was specifically referring to the AMA Safety Code. You agree to it when you sign your membership application. It applies irregardless of where you fly.

See the bottom of page 1.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdf
And what would be the maximum they could do? Terminate membership. Legally it's a breath above unenforceable. Has no impact on flying in the NAS.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

And what would be the maximum they could do? Terminate membership. Legally it's a breath above unenforceable. Has no impact on flying in the NAS.
This is the point I am trying to make regarding the AMA safety code. I am an AMA member and when at my AMA club field I will abide by and respect the AMA guidelines as well as the club rules. The ONLY time I am not adhering to the AMA safety code, sorry AMA and Crispy, is when I am on Private land flying FPV.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

You guys see the first 4 pages of the Tower Hobbies monthly catalog? Nothing but "drones" all the way to 1500.00 with no mention of any regulations pending or otherwise. Multis and FPV are going nowhere.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My comments were in response to post 1119. I never said anything regarding consequences, legality, or impact on the NAS.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:59 PM
franklin_m

My comments were in response to post 1119. I never said anything regarding consequences, legality, or impact on the NAS.
Ironic, since the point of post 1119 was that "So, If I am flying in a field, sod farm etc. in the middle of no where, the AMA is irrelevant unless I want to embrace them."

AMA field? Nope. AMA event? Nope. AMA insurance? Nope. Flying in the NAS not part of former? No impact.

So again, what can the AMA do? Not much. Which was the point of post 1119 just as it was the point of mine.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ironic, since the point of post 1119 was that "So, If I am flying in a field, sod farm etc. in the middle of no where, the AMA is irrelevant unless I want to embrace them."

AMA field? Nope. AMA event? Nope. AMA insurance? Nope. Flying in the NAS not part of former? No impact.

So again, what can the AMA do? Not much. Which was the point of post 1119 just as it was the point of mine.
Did you not sign your AMA membership application agreeing to follow the AMA Safety Code when you joined the AMA?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM
franklin_m

Did you not sign your AMA membership application agreeing to follow the AMA Safety Code when you joined the AMA?
1. Signed Y/N? Burden of proof is on AMA.
2. Failure to follow AMA? Burden of proof is on AMA.
3. Most severe action available to AMA regardless: terminate membership

4. Remedy available to terminated individual? Court action to show AMA action was arbitrary or capricious. Would only have to show a handful of youtube posts, video from meets, etc. showing any violations - if AMA did not take similar action against those individuals, creates a problem for AMA.

5. Effect on individual if they don't fly at AMA field, don't fly in AMA event? Not much.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

t doesn't but it does serve as therapy for some.

Mike
Gotta be better than dealing with drone issues at the shop.....then again.....
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

My post count is going up.
Someday you'll get to 19,000 and have tons of internet cred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.