Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM
dreadedone
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, don't stick your head in the sand. Having worked for the FAA for some years, you can bet that the agency WILL regulate model aviation in all it's forms. All those who think that it will not affect traditional or us guys who fly for recreational purposes need to wake up. If Drones are the focus now by the agency, how long before the rest of model aviation will come under the scrutiny of the FAA. The AMA has done little to educate the public as to the difference between traditional model aviation and the Drone community. The manufacturers and distributer are only looking at profits and if model aviation goes the way of the Dodo, so what. I can't offer any real solution due to the fact it has gone to far and regulation is inevitable.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FAA is grouping everything under the auspices of the AMA together.
336 grouped all rec UAV under a CBO. So lets not blame the AMA.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
As I said in a prior post, my plan was to renew for 2016. Since the flying I do now doesn't require AMA field (scale type heli flying / .25 size and below electrics), if I don't fly at an AMA field in 2016, it'll be the last year I give them money. No sense paying for something you don't use...especially given that my local AMA field requires an additional $100 membership! That alone nearly pays for 4 gallons of fuel for my .50 heli.
Fair weather member Eh?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Your second post answers your first. The AMA had an opportunity 20 or so years ago to shut down, or at least put some control, on the FPV issue an instead stuck it's head int he sand. Then when FPV started to blossom the AMA chose to support it instead of tryng to control it. The FAA is grouping everything under the auspices of the AMA together.
EXACTLY!!!!!!

You said in one paragraph, what I have been trying to portray (and advocate for) in various threads here lately.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-19-2015, 08:18 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Wow...you don't say? So this has been brewing for 20 years.......20 years. Where has all the outrage been, where have all the suggestions and groundswell of support for excluding FPV/MR been for 20 years. Should we go back and figure out who was running the AMA for the past 20 years and castigate them?
You ask too many questions...........and don't have many answers...........I thought you were a "part of the solution" guy?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:22 AM
TimJ

In about 10 minutes the FAA will announce the details of the new registration BS.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by astrohog
You ask too many questions...........and don't have many answers...........I thought you were a "part of the solution" guy?
I might not have "many" answers,but at least I have some. You have nothing but anger and personal attacks. It's got to be exhausting isn't it?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Surprised there is nothing on the AMA website about this whole registration deal.

Mike
Perhaps they wanted to wait to have as much actionable information as possible rather than what we see here and in other threads, hypothetical and alarmist headlines. Keep in mind what they "propose" might be one thing, but it's doubtful it will happen overnight, and not be subject to additional review and revision.

As expected....they are late starting the meeting! That's big guvment for ya!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Too funny...the streamer stopped streaming. We must have crashed it!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM
TimJ

The AMA rep Rich Handson is in the conference.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dreadedone
Guys, don't stick your head in the sand. Having worked for the FAA for some years, you can bet that the agency WILL regulate model aviation in all it's forms. All those who think that it will not affect traditional or us guys who fly for recreational purposes need to wake up. If Drones are the focus now by the agency, how long before the rest of model aviation will come under the scrutiny of the FAA. The AMA has done little to educate the public as to the difference between traditional model aviation and the Drone community. The manufacturers and distributer are only looking at profits and if model aviation goes the way of the Dodo, so what. I can't offer any real solution due to the fact it has gone to far and regulation is inevitable.
Looks like your time at the FAA didn't lead to a broad knowledge of how they operate. You probably didn't spend any time listing to the broadcast. There is no FAA plan to regulate all forms of model aviation. You are equally incorrect on the AMA's work on educating the public. You must have missed all of the people whining and complaining about the money the AMA has spent so far in doing just that.

Are you familiar with the Know before you fly program?

https://www.faa.gov/tv/?mediaId=997

Have you don't anything to educate yourself?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
The AMA rep Rich Handson is in the conference.
He sure is, front and center. Second one to make a statement after the main speaker.

Say, anything sound onerous or really problematic for the "traditional" hobbyist? I might have missed it when the live stream was interrupted. I didn't hear the word fixed wing aircraft once. Drone, UAV, sUAS was bantered about though.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:00 AM
TimJ

He did mention that AMA members are already instructed in our rules to include our AMA number, in or on our aircraft. Which I find interesting that Rich did bring that up.

It would seem that, (and I am just speculating from what I watched in the conference) there will be a requirement of all R/C aircraft to be registered with certain weight and size

Last edited by TimJ; 10-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

Did they mention that registration would require regulation that section 336 said you cannot do?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

He did mention that AMA members are already instructed in our rules to include our AMA number, in or on our aircraft. Which I find interesting that Rich did bring that up.

It would seem that, (and I am just speculating from what I watched in the conference) there will be a requirement of all R/C aircraft to be registered with certain weight and size
I'm still watching itit, but nothing said in that discussion mentioned indicating all aircraft will need to be registered, weight issues or not. They have dealt exclusively with drones/UAV. I did drop off the live feed for a little while, so maybe that was mentioned.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM
rcmiket

Just watched that. So what determines A "DRONE" OR "UAV"

MIke
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
IMO the drone operators are hobbyist, some are irresponsible. But the Prez should not be hoping, he should be telling.
Ah but then if he "tells"...he'll get flack for "telling", and not polling the whole membership etc etc. Have we really gotten to a point of nitpicking words? Nothing wrong with "hoping" things go as planned, and as we've repeatedly seen, he's working on the issue.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Just watched that. So what determines A "DRONE" OR "UAV"

MIke
Good question...they left that part out didn't they. Didn't see anyone ask that specific question either. Seems like the intent and spirit of the discussion was relating to quads/multi-rotors, but I suspect if someone was stupid enough to slap a FPV system on a foamy glider like a Sky Surfer or Bixler and fly into protected airspace, they would be treated the same as a quad.

Did you hear anything in there that on the face of it was alarming or presents immediate or probable harm to majority of the AMA membership. Honest question. I didn't, but then again this is the first discussion of the "plan" and as I've noted elsewhere, things will chance when they get down to brass tacks.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm still watching itit, but nothing said in that discussion mentioned indicating all aircraft will need to be registered, weight issues or not. They have dealt exclusively with drones/UAV. I did drop off the live feed for a little while, so maybe that was mentioned.
Then you missed it.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Thumbs up

interesting how they dodged some questions about current users and hobbyists
"Individual consumers not required" said from main speaker

kept going back to "campaign" of registering our drones so users can be tracked

also dodged the question if FAA had the authority to do anything about it
Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 AM
TimJ

That is because, they don't have a specific plan just yet. They are currently still working on the details.......
Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 AM
DeferredDefect

It was pretty clear that they are only avoiding UAV's of "specific weight and capabilities", so not everyone. Also pointed out was the registration is free, and is not a licence, so it's not considered to be regulation. Makes sense to me.

Also, that Q+A was terrible. Seems most of the press had only been informed about the hobby via clickbait and headlines.

I mean, the one reporter going on about "drone police", and the other arguing that carrying a weapon with a drone was legal? Come on, people.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Also pointed out was the registration is free, and is not a licence, so it's not considered to be regulation. Makes sense to me.
IMO it it's a requirement it's a regulation. The courts have slapped them before because they said a policy letter was not a regulation. The courts have disagreed. Maybe not in all cases but they have.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 AM
srt10

Originally Posted by srt10
interesting how they dodged some questions about current users and hobbyists
"Individual consumers not required" said from main speaker

kept going back to "campaign" of registering our drones so users can be tracked

also dodged the question if FAA had the authority to do anything about it
That is because, they don't have a specific plan just yet. They are currently still working on the details.......
I sure hope your not one defending the FAA, as it was not a question for the FAA, or a question at all..
I've been in the hobbies for about 30 yrs

I made a valid point that is more up in the air to speak
and for Hobbyists we are cleared, by his own wording

and if one does not register the FAA cannot do anything about it, per the main speakers answers
Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 AM
srt10

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
It was pretty clear that they are only avoiding UAV's of "specific weight and capabilities", so not everyone. Also pointed out was the registration is free, and is not a licence, so it's not considered to be regulation. Makes sense to me.
yeah the registration and licence is different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.