Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lamoilleriver
German for "your papers please", seemed appropriate.
Very appropriate ... and getting more so everyday in the goold US of A. What's the word for Gestapo in German?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
And here are two words you probably won't see......fixed wing.
Every single one of my fixed wings and helis are more dangerous than my 250 quad (multirotor)?!?! 1/2 lb? Really? They have really gone off the deep end and went straight up reefer madness. lol

I wonder how many Black Sheep pilots are going to register? smh

All you darn city people ruin it for everybody!!

Last edited by mike1974; 11-21-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Lamoilleriver

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Very appropriate ... and getting more so everyday in the goold US of A. What's the word for Gestapo in German?
Geheime Staatspolizie aka Secret State Police.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Lamoilleriver

Half-pound quad sucked thru a jet engine, what's going to be left to be identified, size of the potential debris field to search, etc.???
Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sitting back and amusing myself by reading all the postings. Then it hit me .................................

What has all this chit / chat accomplished
Yes, yes, I know everybody is venting.
But hell, same thing is accomplished after eating a can of Bush's Baked Beans.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM
franklin_m

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=19778

Not one use of the word "drone," instead saying these recommendations are from the task force charged "...to develop a process for owners of small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to register their aircraft..." [emphasis added]

Just a hunch, but everyone out there that is hanging on the media's use of the word "drone" in stories about his process should note the absence of that term in FAA communications. As I said earlier, I predict the registration requirement will apply to sUAS without distinction between fixed wing, heli, glider, or MR. They're all sUAS to the FAA....and all "aircraft" subject to FAA regulation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FAA Press Release 20151121.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	2131702  
Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Not one use of the word "drone," instead saying these recommendations are from the task force charged "...to develop a process for owners of small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to register their aircraft..." [emphasis added]

Just a hunch, but everyone out there that is hanging on the media's use of the word "drone" in stories about his process should note the absence of that term in FAA communications. As I said earlier, I predict the registration requirement will apply to sUAS without distinction between fixed wing, heli, glider, or MR. They're all sUAS to the FAA....and all "aircraft" subject to FAA regulation.
Well if the FAA follows the recommendation of the Task Force then it no different than the AMA has required for ever. Shouldn't make any difference to AMA members. Just another number to remember.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by N410DC
Many reports of leaked info indicate that registration will be free. Granted, this is reportedly based on the committee's recommendations, which may or may not be accepted by the FAA.

If registration is free (and I hope it is), I wonder how the process will be funded?
The government will be spending more money it doesn't have ,so we will all be paying for it.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:53 PM
rcmiket

Infact every thing I've watched read or seen concerning registration or portrayed in the news media no one mentioned anything but QUADS MULTI ROTOR Registration for any thing but Quads and/or MR"s
U see anything lately to the contrary?

Everything I've read used this UAV ( unmanned aerial vehicle) or UAS (unmanned aerial system) . Which covers all of what we fly.

Mike
Old 11-21-2015, 05:56 PM
TexasFlyBoy
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Just sitting back and amusing myself by reading all the postings. Then it hit me .................................

What has all this chit / chat accomplished
Yes, yes, I know everybody is venting.
But hell, same thing is accomplished after eating a can of Bush's Baked Beans.
I believe you will find more substance in the baked beans.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Everything I've read used this UAV ( unmanned aerial vehicle) or UAS (unmanned aerial system) . Which covers all of what we fly.

Mike
The spirit and intent of the term and this whole mess is applied to "drones", or multi-rotors.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:53 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The spirit and intent of the term and this whole mess is applied to "drones", or multi-rotors.
maybe for the low alt/airport approach stuff, that is correct. most of the high altitude stuff i see on u tube and elsewhere involves foam fixed wing stuff.
high alt being anything over 3500ft msl. haven't ever seen a multirotor over that alt.
so, i have to disagree with ya on that spirit and intent part.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFlyBoy
Originally Posted by Granpooba
Just sitting back and amusing myself by reading all the postings. Then it hit me ................................. What has all this chit / chat accomplished Yes, yes, I know everybody is venting. But hell, same thing is accomplished after eating a can of Bush's Baked Beans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lesson Terrorism Humor.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2131781  
Old 11-22-2015, 04:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by mongo
maybe for the low alt/airport approach stuff, that is correct. most of the high altitude stuff i see on u tube and elsewhere involves foam fixed wing stuff.
high alt being anything over 3500ft msl. haven't ever seen a multirotor over that alt.
so, i have to disagree with ya on that spirit and intent part.
Agree...mostly. I've noted before first videos that I ever saw were from foamy fixed wing Bixler/Sky Surfer modded aircraft with video feeds, loaded up with batteries, making flights 30 minutes long at 10,0000 feet. A few were done in overcast weather too, and of course over homes/highways etc. Great views, horrible ideas! To me those are just as dangerous as a 2 pound DJI Phantom floating through the air. But those aren't the folks that got the ball rolling on stupid (notwithstanding what they did of course). It's the dopes who decided to fly over sports events and crashed, or into the sides of high rise buildings, or into national forest treasures, etc etc. And all the while, usually taping the event and then posting it up for the world to see. And then they wonder..why is the big bad government picking on me? The MR/Drones are easy to demonize because of the way they look, and fly, and the damage they have caused. I think the fact that they can be completely autonomous in flight is the other thing, and the reason they may be the focal point of this legislation.

I don't fixed wing or helis will be singled out, which may or may not be better as this will lead to yet more gray areas and questions. Would be nice for the suggestions/recommendations and later the legislation to be crystal clear, but that is almost certainly not going to happen. I still maintain at the end of the day, this will not have an overall adverse affect on this hobby, nor change the way the overwhelming majority of us operate in the hobby. Yes, I wear rose tinted lenses.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:03 AM
rcmiket

"Spirit and intent" that's a good one. Maybe in the actual recommendations they will use " kinda sorta ".

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM
franklin_m

Unfortunately, that is just not supported by the language being used by the only people that matter, the FAA. Just yesterday they said that the group was to develop "a process for owners of small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to register their aircraft."

I don't see "drones" or "multi-rotors" mentioned anywhere in that. In fact, I'll remind you that the FAA defines aircraft as "any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air. 49 U.S.C. 40102, see also 14 C.F.R. 1.1." They went on to add that "Although model aircraft may take many forms, at a base level model aircraft are clearly 'invented, used, or designed' to fly in the air."

FAA has consistently used sUAS and "aircraft" in the context of this registration discussion. Any belief that there is some hidden spirit or intent that it applies to a smaller subset is simply not supported by FAA official statements.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"Spirit and intent" that's a good one. Maybe in the actual recommendations they will use " kinda sorta ".

Mike

The assertion that there is some "spirit and intent" is, at best, uninformed wishful thinking. At worst, it's deliberately ignoring the precise language ("sUAS" and "aircraft") used in FAA statements when discussing registration. The use of those words is not accidental...as they align with the authority the FAA is asserting.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-22-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 AM
HoundDog

The assertion that there is some "spirit and intent" is, at best, uniformed wishful thinking. At worst, it's deliberately ignoring the precise language ("sUAS" and "aircraft") used in FAA statements when discussing registration. The use of those words is not accidental...as they align with the authority the FAA is asserting.
So what if we have to Register our toys or even if we have to register as an R/C pilot? U and I and every one here knows that those that will continue to fly when and where they are not supposed to won't bother to register anyway. Only Law abiding people will/do follow the law and register what ever the Feds deem necessary.
Now we have till the 20h of December 2015 to see what they will require. Everything we discuss here is just conjecture and guess work on our part. But I'll bet ya the FAA misses that dead line too.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFlyBoy
LOL .................... good one !
Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 AM
franklin_m

I don't fixed wing or helis will be singled out, which may or may not be better as this will lead to yet more gray areas and questions.
I think you're safe, the FAA has been consistent in their use of "sUAS" and "aircraft" in their public statements dealing with registration. I think we would be wise to use precise language in our comments, lest we hand the FAA the ability to interpret to their liking.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 AM
franklin_m

So what if we have to Register our toys or even if we have to register as an R/C pilot? U and I and every one here knows that those that will continue to fly when and where they are not supposed to won't bother to register anyway. Only Law abiding people will/do follow the law and register what ever the Feds deem necessary.
Perhaps, but registration will address (eventually one way or another) those AMA members (presumably) in these forums that have said they'll refuse to register. Secondly, it will make it much easier for local authorities to help police compliance - visible registration numbers being something local regulators can easily require / check. Thirdly, it will create a class of non-compliers. And sooner or later the local spot checks will catch up with them. Lastly, having a federally required number on the model will change behavior.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 AM
HoundDog

Perhaps, but registration will address (eventually one way or another) those AMA members (presumably) in these forums that have said they'll refuse to register. Secondly, it will make it much easier for local authorities to help police compliance - visible registration numbers being something local regulators can easily require / check. Thirdly, it will create a class of non-compliers. And sooner or later the local spot checks will catch up with them. Lastly, having a federally required number on the model will change behavior.
I mostly agree. But " those AMA members (presumably) in these forums that have said they'll refuse to register." Won't happen. if Registration is required then the AMA will include it in the Safety Code and clubs/club members will have to comply or loose their chartered status. This will inturn cause the land owner to terminate any agreement with the club because of his loss of AMA Land owners Insurance.

"having a federally required number on the model will change behavior".
Like I said before when flying at a contest or a sanctioned event or a designated Flying (site) Field the display of a Registration number is unnecessary. It should be required to be in the aircraft when flying. But we'll just have to wait for the FAA to meet their NEW DEADLINE.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Lamoilleriver

Non-compliers??????? , change behavior???????

Need to claim "sanctuary city" status for our flying fields and then we can just ignore what ever laws we disagree with or don't like.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 AM
rcmiket

Non-compliers??????? , change behavior???????

Need to claim "sanctuary city" status for our flying fields and then we can just ignore what ever laws we disagree with or don't like.
Great idea and very doable in light of recent events. .

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAR's say that it is not. $5 minimum
There are currently no FARs that relate to sUAVs. I don't think the current registration system that applies to full aircraft will be generalized to sUAVs. The requirements for full scale aircraft state that each individual aircraft must have a registration identifier that begins with "N,: whereas the upcoming sUAV registration will probably use another format, and will be assigned to pilots, rather that aircraft.

Even if they do charge $5 for registration, paying that once for all of my aircraft is a lot better than paying $5 for all of my current and future models.

Half-pound quad sucked thru a jet engine, what's going to be left to be identified, size of the potential debris field to search, etc.???
This is a good point. However, the FAA and local law enforcement will be able to identify any downed aircraft that are involved in incidents that are similar to previous incidents. So far, I am not aware of any sUAV accident that the FAA or law enforcement investigated that destroyed the aircraft to the point where a registration number would not have been retrieved.

True. The word drone is rarely,if ever, used by the FAA. Then again, the FAA's official terms terms ("sUAV" and "UAV") are rarely, if ever used by the media.

Agree...mostly. I've noted before first videos that I ever saw were from foamy fixed wing Bixler/Sky Surfer modded aircraft with video feeds, loaded up with batteries, making flights 30 minutes long at 10,0000 feet. A few were done in overcast weather too, and of course over homes/highways etc. Great views, horrible ideas! To me those are just as dangerous as a 2 pound DJI Phantom floating through the air. But those aren't the folks that got the ball rolling on stupid (notwithstanding what they did of course). It's the dopes who decided to fly over sports events and crashed, or into the sides of high rise buildings, or into national forest treasures, etc etc. And all the while, usually taping the event and then posting it up for the world to see. And then they wonder..why is the big bad government picking on me? The MR/Drones are easy to demonize because of the way they look, and fly, an
way or another) those AMA members (presumably) in these forums that have said they'll refuse to register. Secondly, it will make it much easier for local authorities to help police compliance - visible registration numbers being something local regulators can easily require / check. Thirdly, it will create a class of non-compliers. And sooner or later the local spot checks will catch up with them. Lastly, having a federally required number on the model will change behavior.
Very good point. The advent of FPV predates the explosive popularity of multirotor aircraft. The FAA has not forgotten about Pirker's Ritewing Zephyr. I am certain they are keeping fixed wing aircraft in mind as they develop the new rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.