Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I'll happily agree with you on flight times but some of these top acro multicopters now have thrust to weight ratios around 14 to 1. That is based on the entire flying weight, not just the motors. e.g. 14 lb thrust in a 1 lb. model.

Maybe that thrust to weight ratio also exists in glow powered fixed wing aircraft too but personally I have not seen one. Would love to if anyone has a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sz8bquB50
How can the 4 motors be controlled well enough by just a human being to keep that from crashing at high speed...?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% agreed, I enjoyed the glow days but don't miss them at all. Even though it has been unused for years and cleaned many times my original Kraft radio still feels "greasy" from 20 years of flying glow planes.

By comparison the 5 year old JR 11X is pristine clean and I love that aspect of flying electrics. (But I am envious of Init's Rotary, that is a sweet motor)

Nice radios! I had a JR 10X back in the day. Nice radio with the smoothest gimbals of any radio I've ever used.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
yep , and ya can just walk right into any old Sears or Macys and buy a Vacuum tube radio or HI FI , Eh Sport ?

My point exactly was that yes they still DO exist , even after not being "MASS MARKET" for some 60 or more years . And It'll be the same for glow .

But neither will be as readily available in the future as they were in their heyday past .................................................. ....................
I don't think it will become nearly that rare. One model field in the area hardly has electric, and another has maybe 60% electric. Until they have safe batteries that charge in a minute or two I will fly glow.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Ok, I actually asked a friend of mine who was a deputy sheriff for 30 years about this, AND he flew in their SO's air unit. They can go/land anywhere they need to in the course of their duties as law enforcement officers. So I'll take his word over yours on this issue. A LEO does not "permission" to step onto any property if they are doing so in the course of their job. Now that is not to say they can enter your house, etc. But driving onto your land, or landing, does not constitute a search.
A recent court case said they must have a warrant to be within 500 feet of a home taking pictures. Your cop friend may be violating the law, at least most states. Oh, they can land for reasonable cause. But I do not consider this reasonable because he saw nobody doing anything suspicious. They cannot step on property without permission or reasonable cause or warrant.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
First page of 195 pages of the sU

ALL RIGHT sport read what from where to in the 195 pages Is Your skull so thick or U so lazy U can't provide the Info Sorry but that's how it is.
Page 8 of 195 Explination of the NPM

A. Comments InvitedB. Availability of Rulemaking DocumentsI. Executive SummaryA. Purpose of the Regulatory ActionThis rulemaking proposes operating requirements to allow small unmanned aircraftsystems (small UAS) to operate for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes. A small UASconsists of a small unmanned aircraft (which, as defined by statute, is an unmanned aircraftweighing less than 55 pounds3) and equipment necessary for the safe and efficientoperation of that aircraft. The FAA has accommodated non-recreational small UAS usethrough various mechanisms, such as special airworthiness certificates, exemptions, andcertificates of waiver or authorization (COA). This proposed rule would be the next phaseof integrating small UAS into the NAS.The following are examples of possible small UAS operations that could beconducted under this proposed framework:
 Crop monitoring/inspection;
 Research and development;
 Educational/academic uses;
 Power-line/pipeline inspection in hilly or mountainous terrain;
 Antenna inspections;
 Aiding certain rescue operations such as locating snow avalanche victims;

This only covers UAS for Non recreational.
Where is the stuff for Us Please...

HD I would think you would know where the real content is in that document. Read page 172 or so.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It appears the Doggie doesn't get out of the coop much. IMHO Nitro is dying a slow death. Sure you may be in denial, but check with the LHS or the manufactures and see how much nitro they're selling these days. I got rid of my last 5 cases of nitro two years ago and never looked back. At $30+/gallon for 30% that ~$1k generator gets cheap fast. Take a look around and notice how some once popular glow engines are slowly starting to disappear as well.

No doubt it depends on the specific application to determine the best fuel source wither it be gas, glow, or electric, but in the mainstream mid-sized stuff electric has taken over.

I don't miss the slime or the noise one bit, good riddance. I still have two glow engines in my hangar, but that's only because I'm too lazy to sell them.
I think a lot of nitro people mix there own fuel now. Premix is just too expensive. Also there is a glut of cheap used and NIB OS engines now and that glut will have to disappear before many new glow engines are made. Electric takes too much time to charge and expensive. And then there are the occasional battery fires.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:25 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by combatpigg
How can the 4 motors be controlled well enough by just a human being to keep that from crashing at high speed...?
The motors are not controlled directly by the pilot.

When you fly a fixed wing aircraft with elevons you don't control each elevon individually, you need a mixer to convert control inputs to the correct servo output.

Similarly, the flight controller in a multi copter does this mixing for you. It reads your TX inputs from the receiver and controls the motors accordingly to achieve roll pitch and yaw.

A fixed wing aircraft has aerodynamic and directional stability, but a multi copter has none so another function of the flight controller is to provide static stability.

It does this with a PID loop.

The PID controller stops motion in each axis when all the controls are centred and creates rotation about an axis at a rate proportional to the respective joystick deflection (similar to aerodynamic flight control surfaces)

Think of it as a fly by wire system that allows an aerodynamically unstable flying machine to be controllable by a human pilot - (Like some modern fighter aircraft)

So what the pilot actually feels is a control response similar to flying a traditional RC aircraft.

Don't confuse this with Self Level mode which is completely different. Aerobatic multi copters are flown in manual mode which has no self correction and therefore requires similar pilot skills to flying a fixed wing or helicopter at those speeds.

Bottom line is some of these guys have great ability and fast reflexes.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-24-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Simplified explanation
Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think a lot of nitro people mix there own fuel now. Premix is just too expensive. Also there is a glut of cheap used and NIB OS engines now and that glut will have to disappear before many new glow engines are made. Electric takes too much time to charge and expensive. And then there are the occasional battery fires.
No one I know mixes their own fuel. A drum of nitro is quite expensive, not easy to find, and you need to bottle it ASAP. Screw it up and it's a costly mistake. Hardly worth the risk in IMHO and after it's all done, what are you actually saving? There's a glut because Nitro sales have slowed down tremendously.

I charge all my packs in about 20 minutes. With a few packs I can fly almost non-stop.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:23 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Ok, I actually asked a friend of mine who was a deputy sheriff for 30 years about this, AND he flew in their SO's air unit. They can go/land anywhere they need to in the course of their duties as law enforcement officers. So I'll take his word over yours on this issue. A LEO does not "permission" to step onto any property if they are doing so in the course of their job. Now that is not to say they can enter your house, etc. But driving onto your land, or landing, does not constitute a search.
In 30 years he should have at least learned about private and public property laws and other access rights. Indeed a car would have been a better approach in this situation. Although the LEs should never have went to this RC field in the first place in the way that they did - apparently ignorance was the motivator for that.

Do some research on LEs landing choppers on private property. There are cases on both sides of the fence and some interesting cases dealing with access roads that make for some fascinating reading. An LE can go anywhere the need, yet it may be trespassing among other legal infractions the LE can be charged with should the landowner desire to pursue it.

I know of one case personally that a state trouper was involved in on private property that caused some damage and he could not even write the citation, another officer had to come and write the citation. LEs cannot even park on private property if the landowner does not want them to. I know of where a LE was on private property and the landowner went out to the LE and told him to move his car off of his property and the LE had to comply and did so immediately.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Double post...
Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 AM
rcmiket

I don't think it will become nearly that rare. One model field in the area hardly has electric, and another has maybe 60% electric. Until they have safe batteries that charge in a minute or two I will fly glow.
With more and more fields being encroached on by developments it makes noise a issue. Electrics help in that aspect. Batteries are safe it's the users that are dangerous. Charging technology gets better and better all the time. I fly electric , glow and gas but my electrics get the nod most flying days. Why, no muss no fuss just charge and fly.

Mike
Old 01-24-2016, 05:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I'll happily agree with you on flight times but some of these top acro multicopters now have thrust to weight ratios around 14 to 1. That is based on the entire flying weight, not just the motors. e.g. 14 lb thrust in a 1 lb. model.

Maybe that thrust to weight ratio also exists in glow powered fixed wing aircraft too but personally I have not seen one. Would love to if anyone has a link?
https://youtu.be/d6sz8bquB50

Originally Posted by combatpigg
It' called SKILL ever watch a 14 year Helicopter wiz fimonial
and he ain't pay'n for It so NO FEAR.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 AM
HoundDog

HD I would think you would know where the real content is in that document. Read page 172 or so.
Thanks for the URL is that too much to ask? We keep going back and fourth U tols me to read the last page now it/ Page 172 Tell ya what Print out what U want me to see/read and HI LIGHT the important stuff. We arn't all mind readers Like some people here. OH stop Using PRO Nouns too. U may know what U are talking about but 2 days later NO one else does. Especially when U don't repeat the whole thread back a bit. Just Saying ...
Old 01-24-2016, 06:15 AM
HoundDog

It appears the Doggie doesn't get out of the coop much. IMHO Nitro is dying a slow death. Sure you may be in denial, but check with the LHS or the manufactures and see how much nitro they're selling these days. I got rid of my last 5 cases of nitro two years ago and never looked back. At $30+/gallon for 30% that ~$1k generator gets cheap fast. Take a look around and notice how some once popular glow engines are slowly starting to disappear as well.

No doubt it depends on the specific application to determine the best fuel source wither it be gas, glow, or electric, but in the mainstream mid-sized stuff electric has taken over.

I don't miss the slime or the noise one bit, good riddance. I still have two glow engines in my hangar, but that's only because I'm too lazy to sell them.
U can argue all U want and U might even be right but U know what "It Just Doesn't Mater" Got your Sail Boat Yet? It's just a mater of preference. Maybe a hundred years of so they will be powered by (_________). Who Knows what. I still have a Gentle Lady with a can Motor and powered by a 7 cell Nicad Car battery in the basement. People are in the Hobby because of many reasons. Just be glad they are or it would be way too expensive.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 AM
HoundDog

OK! Here's Page 172 of the 195 Page sUAS NPRM show mw what U are talking about,

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

(e) Except as provided in §§ 107.27, 107.47, 107.57, and 107.59 of this chapter, thispart does not apply to any aircraft or vehicle governed by part 103 of this chapter, part 107of this chapter, or subparts B, C, or D of part 101 of this chapter.PART 101—MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, AMATEUR ROCKETS ANDUNMANNED FREE BALLOONS16. The authority citation for part 101 is revised to read as follows:Authority: 49 U.S.C. 106(f), 106(g), 40101 note, 40103, 40113-40114, 45302, 44502,44514, 44701-44702, 44721, 46308, Sec. 336(b), Pub. L. 112-95.17. Amend § 101.1 by adding paragraph (a)(5) to read as follows:§ 101.1 Applicability.(a) * * *(5) Any model aircraft that meets the conditions specified in § 101.41. For purposesof this part, a model aircraft is an unmanned aircraft that isi) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;(ii) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and(iii) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.* * * * *18. Add subpart E, consisting of §§ 101.41 and 101.43, to read as follows:
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Luchnia
In 30 years he should have at least learned about private and public property laws and other access rights. Indeed a car would have been a better approach in this situation. Although the LEs should never have went to this RC field in the first place in the way that they did - apparently ignorance was the motivator for that.

Do some research on LEs landing choppers on private property. There are cases on both sides of the fence and some interesting cases dealing with access roads that make for some fascinating reading. An LE can go anywhere the need, yet it may be trespassing among other legal infractions the LE can be charged with should the landowner desire to pursue it.

I know of one case personally that a state trouper was involved in on private property that caused some damage and he could not even write the citation, another officer had to come and write the citation. LEs cannot even park on private property if the landowner does not want them to. I know of where a LE was on private property and the landowner went out to the LE and told him to move his car off of his property and the LE had to comply and did so immediately.
Exactly the attitude we don't need in this hobby when dealing with LE. If you're that righteous, why not go ahead and file a complaint?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

U can argue all U want and U might even be right but U know what "It Just Doesn't Mater" Got your Sail Boat Yet? It's just a mater of preference. Maybe a hundred years of so they will be powered by (_________). Who Knows what. I still have a Gentle Lady with a can Motor and powered by a 7 cell Nicad Car battery in the basement. People are in the Hobby because of many reasons. Just be glad they are or it would be way too expensive.

It never matters until it matters.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:59 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=Chris P. Bacon;12166459]
It never matters until it matters
[/QUOTE}

Hey I sorta like that font but the Yellow was useless.
NA Me thinks I'd get way too many complaints. Way too hard to read
.Anyway

True but again how can it matter if "Nothing Matters" Besides it only Matters to some one that thinks it Matters when it doesn't Really Matter ...
Sorta Like RCU
Forums Wouldn't ya think?

Gona be in the 70's today and light winds "Down the Runway" too Can't forget the sun screen either.

U all from the cold part of the USA have fun Shoveling, Don't have a stroke.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-24-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

"It Just Doesn't Mater"

That's the idea.

True but again how can it matter if "Nothing Matters"

I see what you did there. Nothing like moving the goalpost again. Nothing matters until it matters.

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Wrong again INIT Glow is alive and well. Granted Lipos
have made a difference as have ARF's and Foam
airplanes.
Lipos still don't have the power to weight ratio (ie flight time) of either Glow fuel or Gas or even Jet A or Kero that Turbines have. Likewise a 3 to 4 minute flight in an Electric ducted fan and an 30 to 45 minute charge are barley tolerable. A glow engine doesn't HAVE to be back on the ground in 6 minutes or ruin the expensive batteries... Also Motors and speed controls & Lipos are still expensive and sensitive. Then the support equipment is expensive. Chargers, Power supplies and Power source ie a Large expensive Deep Cycle Battery or a thousand dollar generators. Lipos are very sensitive and dangerous when mishandled.
The Next generation of Battery Technology will make Electric more viable and eventually less expensive. It will not Religate GLOW to the museum.

What our doggie friend here is missing , is that no one is "dancing on Glow's grave" or singing "Ding dong the witch is dead' , it's just a simple fact that when I walk into my 5 closest LHS' I can (and do) buy all kinds of brushless motors , ESCs , Lipos , and all things electric flight right there in stock (cause it sells) VS needing to order all but the "new old stock" (meaning , been on the shelf forever) engine powered stuff and this even includes fuel ! I am quite happy that I have enough fuel and engines to power my glow planes plenty till someone else inherits it all but as Chris and I both say here , Glow has been pretty much relegated to "niche market" status at the hobby shops and flying fields at least near me . Those that are still flying engines are mostly doing gasoline now (even "gas/glow" , gasoline being fired by a glow plug) but the 80 or better % of flying I see , is electric . Me myself , the motorhead that I am , I likely fly 75% electric to 25% glow , just for not wanting to clean slime as Rob also mentioned . I do have a couple of gassers but don't have the experience with them that I've got with Glow ...
Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
NorfolkSouthern

That electric stuff and multi-rotors is what got the FAA's attention in the first place. I have one air frame left. If I can't put in a glow engine and fly it as a piston-powered model plane.... If I have to go electric with an electric motor and ESC... Then I'll forget about building it and buy a drone. And I will skip the AMA, because their fixed-wings will be no different than any other photography platform with FPV that everybody else has flying in their back yards.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

So it was in part the electric stuff that brought us into the FAA sights? Had nothing to do with the potential of thousands of those things being used commercially by Walmart, Amazon, etc etc?

I'm amazed at how so many people are willing to blame the AMA and a few rouge drone pilots for getting us involved in this whole FAA thing...but not once consider that it had nothing do do with us.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
So it was in part the electric stuff that brought us into the FAA sights? Had nothing to do with the potential of thousands of those things being used commercially by Walmart, Amazon, etc etc?

I'm amazed at how so many people are willing to blame the AMA and a few rouge drone pilots for getting us involved in this whole FAA thing...but not once consider that it had nothing do do with us.
Or at least consider that it is our ability to fly beyond line of sight that got the FAA's attention .

It wasn't the airframe configuration .....

It wasn't the power source .....

It was the BLOS ability , that had far too many people flying things in places they shouldn't , that did it . If all FPV everywhere was done in accordance with #550 from the first day a camera was strapped to a model airplane up till the present day "quad in every driveway" times , it is my belief that we would have been OK with our #336 exemption . One Man's belief , nothing more ...
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

BLOS of certainly brought a level of additional scrutiny, but fixed wing aircraft have always been able to carry more of a payload if it was mayhem someone wanted to create.

I'm talking more big picture. I get that people don't like MR or drones, but the ones who are the most against them seem to blame everything that has happened with the FAA on the "drones", and the AMA embracing them. I think it's preposterous. Not one of those complaining to that degree have ever mentioned the potential commercial use that was always there as even a possible reason ( at least not in comments here). I'm genuinely amazed that they can look past the Amazons, and Googles, and Walmarts who would literally be putting thousands of these things up in the air every hour of everyday and not see that as a reason why the feds had to step in here. Forget all the mom and pop outfits that would be coming as well (which honestly I'd be more concerned about as they don't have the ability and scale of operations that the big boys have). I honestly don't think this has ever been about us, namely the AMA and it's members, we just got caught up in the bigger dragnet.

Regardless, what we're looking at isn't the end of the world or the hobby for that matter. Other than registering it looks like it's business as usual. I know I know, little bits of our freedoms taken away etc etc....

This isn't directed at any one person..just a rant!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12166464]

It never matters until it matters
[/QUOTE}

NA Me thinks I'd get way too many complaints. Way too hard to read
.Anyway

True but again how can it matter if "Nothing Matters" Besides it only Matters to some one that thinks it Matters when it doesn't Really Matter ...
Sorta Like RCU
Forums Wouldn't ya think?

Gona be in the 70's today and light winds "Down the Runway" too Can't forget the sun screen either.

U all from the cold part of the USA have fun Shoveling, Don't have a stroke.
.kniht I tahw si smurof UCR ekil tsuj ,puY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.