Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
What Silent Aviator is stating, is there isn't a "federal law, regulation, or rule".

When you apply for the certificate, you are agreeing to fly below 400 feet.

Otherwise there's not any real law that states you must fly below 400 feet. There's only safety guidance. Of which the FAA is trying damn hard to make it seem like law. Once you apply for your registration certificate, you are then agreeing to fly below 400 feet. Now you are obligated to fly below 400 feet after you've registered.
Exactly. I see this as an attempt on the part of the FAA to create a de facto rule and thereby illegally circumventing the legally required rule making process. They sincerely want everyone to think that you cannot fly over 400 feet.

The danger in that is now local governments are writing laws based on that and many landowners may think it is a real rule and require it in their leases. Not to mention clubs that simply do not understand the situation and who impose this as if it is a real rule.

Another interesting point is that the AMA Leadership does not think that the agreement during the registration process is legally binding. I am not sure I agree with that and I would really like the FAA to make a crystal clear statement to that effect. I would also like the Victoria's Secrets Angels to spend the night with me. Both I think are equally possible.

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 01-06-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Exactly. I see this as an attempt on the part of the FAA to create a de facto rule and thereby illegally circumventing the legally required rule making process. They sincerely want everyone to think that you cannot fly over 400 feet.

The danger in that is now local governments are writing laws based on that and many landowners may think it is a real rule and require it in their leases. Not to mention clubs that simply do not understand the situation and who impose this as if it is a real rule.

Another interesting point is that the AMA Leadership does not think that the agreement during the registration process is legally binding. I am not sure I agree with that and I would really like the FAA to make a crystal clear statement to that effect. I would also like the Victoria's Secrets Angels to spend the night with me. Both I think are equally possible.

The same thing applies to flying near airports. Heck even the International Aeromodeling Center is right next to a full scale airport.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The same thing applies to flying near airports. Heck even the International Aeromodeling Center is right next to a full scale airport.

Now that right there is funny!! Reese is an airport, I guess ;-) Actually I know people who have flown into Reese where the owner has hangared their plane for almost free AND given them a ride over to the AMA site. Seems like they have a pretty cordial arrangement!!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Rob2160

The Washington monument is 555 feet so 400 will be roughly at the red mark.

Also the B4UFLY app is now available on the FAA site - this gives you real time TFRs and proximity to airports.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	2140027   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	2140028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washington_Monument_label.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2140029  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-06-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When you point a 50cc powered gasser vertical, 400' happens very fast.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
When you point a 50cc powered gasser vertical, 400' happens very fast.
Turbines, tow and hi-start launch gliders, IMAC planes...jeez even my little 50mm edf's can get there in short time.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Now that right there is funny!! Reese is an airport, I guess ;-) Actually I know people who have flown into Reese where the owner has hangared their plane for almost free AND given them a ride over to the AMA site. Seems like they have a pretty cordial arrangement!!
Every time I've flown at the IAC I've seen traffic coming-in/going-out of Reese. Looking at the map you can see how close the Reese runway is to the IAC.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

How can this be legally binding? This could be used in specification writing 101 on how NOT to write specification? It says right at the top "Acknowledgement of Guidance". Look up the definition, guidance is advise not a rule!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How can this be legally binding? This could be used in specification writing 101 on how NOT to write specification? It says right at the top "Acknowledgement of Guidance". Look up the definition, guidance is advise not a rule!
That is what I'm going with !
Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

It looks like there are a lot of potential loopholes. As I understand basic law, any ambiguity cannot benefit the party that wrote the law.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 AM
rcmiket

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/01/4111...dy-registered/

From Huerta's speech at CES 2016 yesterday.

"Registration is simple – and it’s mandatory for aircraft that weigh between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds. You enter basic information – name, address and email address – into our online system, and read and acknowledge our basic safety guidelines. "

Pretty cut and dry in my book.

Mike
Old 01-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Silent-AV8R

As it was explained to me by the lawyers I asked about the subject they say that since you MUST agree as part of a compulsory action and the face that money exchanges hands it meets the requirements of a legally binding contract. Even if said money is refunded, the basic fact that you agree to a given condition is a binding agreement.

Of course unless the FAA changes the wording to something less fuzzy this will likely have to be sorted out in the courts.

But the analogy I was given was the situation with a ham radio antenna. The FCC authorizes me to put one up if I am a licensed ham. But if I move into a house and the CCRs stipulate no antennas, and I agree to that stipulation, then I am bound by that agreement.

And, what sense would it make for the FAA to require agreement if it was not binding?? Seems like a waste of time and energy.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

As it was explained to me by the lawyers I asked about the subject they say that since you MUST agree as part of a compulsory action and the face that money exchanges hands it meets the requirements of a legally binding contract. Even if said money is refunded, the basic fact that you agree to a given condition is a binding agreement.

Of course unless the FAA changes the wording to something less fuzzy this will likely have to be sorted out in the courts.

But the analogy I was given was the situation with a ham radio antenna. The FCC authorizes me to put one up if I am a licensed ham. But if I move into a house and the CCRs stipulate no antennas, and I agree to that stipulation, then I am bound by that agreement.

And, what sense would it make for the FAA to require agreement if it was not binding?? Seems like a waste of time and energy.
The people who disagree with the concept in general are going to nitpick the meaning of words, and talk tough about what they perceive a word to mean or not mean. Doesn't really matter, it's the feds definition that counts. They didn't put the wording in there for sheets and giggles, they put in in there for a reason. I'm willing to bet Pirker eventually found out what words meant and didn't after his experience. Granted, although he paid pennies on the dollar, he got a free defense and invaluable advertising for his company. Wonder if anyone is going to step up and be the sacrificial lamb and test the FAA's authority and resolve. Somehow I doubt it.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Look at AC 91-57A section 6. MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS sub section c (4)

(4) The aircraft operates in a manner that does not interfere with, and gives way to, anymanned aircraft;
If U can accomplish this above 400' then what's the problem?

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-07-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Joshy4u2

I can't help but think there is a very easy solution to this whole problem. I don't know many people that fly IMAC, Jets, big gassers or other types of planes that normally exceed 400 ft without doing this at an AMA sanctioned field. The simple compromise is that we leave the 400' blanket limitation in place but that the FAA allow us to apply for a waiver for a sanctioned field to go higher. So lets say within 1 mile of the field, we are allowed to go to 1000' or even 1500'. They can then mark it on their sectional charts just like skydiving facilities. Simple solution and it solves most of the problems we have here.

While I don't agree with any of what the FAA is doing and I feel the AMA has really failed us here, I think it is foolish to think that the FAA isn't going to keep trying to limit all of us because of the few careless (stupid) operators that decided to fly a quad on final of a major airport. But if we are out in the middle of no where (where most of our fields are) and we ask the FAA for an exception to the altitude, I think we might be able to get that approved. They just want is out of controlled airspace.

Josh
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

Easy way to find out if you are 400' AGL. Measure back 400 ft from the flight line. Have a spotter stand at the 400 ft line and look up at a 45 degree angle while you fly over the flight line. Find a way to make sure you are looking up 45 degrees. Build a 2x4 frame with a right angle and two equal sides ( like two 8ft 2x4's) then connect the ends with another 2x4 or string or something. You will find that the distance needed between the ends of the 8 fter's is real close to 11ft 3-3/4in. Now you have a triangle that gives you a line of sight that is at 45 degrees. Make sure the bottom leg is real close to level. If you look up at that sight line and the plane is above it, your over 400 ft. This method is much like the estes rocket device shown on page two. Have fun with this at your club and don't take yourselves to serious. Remember, different size airplanes may fool you. Make sure you have someone who understands this concept before you dabble in it, if you don't understand it, you can screw it up. This could be a useful tool if a LEO shows up and questions, "How high are you". At least with practise and "flying smart" you should be able to dazzle anyone with your applied scientific knowledge of how "politically correct" you are flying.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:05 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a Lawyer, but I see it the way you do too. I would see it this way too, if I was still a Chief Pilot of a Company signing papers as we do for registration of aircraft, or anything else to do with the FAA.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about it. They don't have enough people to keep real airplanes under control now. picture a football field and then go half again. At 400 ft your 40 size plane will look like a toy.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Don't worry about it. They don't have enough people to keep real airplanes under control now. picture a football field and then go half again. At 400 ft your 40 size plane will look like a toy.
.40 sized planes are rare in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM
franklin_m

So I'm really curious. If sUAS use grows as projected, how exactly do folks propose keeping them separated from manned aircraft if they're not going to confine them to 400' and below?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So I'm really curious. If sUAS use grows as projected, how exactly do folks propose keeping them separated from manned aircraft if they're not going to confine them to 400' and below?
Do you mean from a hobby perspective, or commercial application or both?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Joshy4u2
I can't help but think there is a very easy solution to this whole problem. I don't know many people that fly IMAC, Jets, big gassers or other types of planes that normally exceed 400 ft without doing this at an AMA sanctioned field. The simple compromise is that we leave the 400' blanket limitation in place but that the FAA allow us to apply for a waiver for a sanctioned field to go higher. So lets say within 1 mile of the field, we are allowed to go to 1000' or even 1500'. They can then mark it on their sectional charts just like skydiving facilities. Simple solution and it solves most of the problems we have here.

While I don't agree with any of what the FAA is doing and I feel the AMA has really failed us here, I think it is foolish to think that the FAA isn't going to keep trying to limit all of us because of the few careless (stupid) operators that decided to fly a quad on final of a major airport. But if we are out in the middle of no where (where most of our fields are) and we ask the FAA for an exception to the altitude, I think we might be able to get that approved. They just want is out of controlled airspace.

Josh
Why would you want to get a waiver when we now don't need a waiver?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Most sUAS are confined to 400 feet. Just not Model Aircraft under 336.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Not a Lawyer, but I see it the way you do too. I would see it this way too, if I was still a Chief Pilot of a Company signing papers as we do for registration of aircraft, or anything else to do with the FAA.
It's not the agreement its the contract. You are agreeing to flying under 400 feet, but nothing said about flying over 400 feet. You are acknowledging guidance. You cannot comply to guidance. You are following it which can mean you are keeping track of any changes. You are making a contractual agreement yes. But it is almost like signing a blank check.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Look at AC 91-57A section 6. MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS sub section c (4)

(4) The aircraft operates in a manner that does not interfere with, and gives way to, anymanned aircraft;
If U can accomplish this above 400' then what's the problem?

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf
Good point. Which makes you wonder why the FAA included near the end of the same document:

e. Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feetabove ground level (AGL).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.