Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Senate Version of FAA bill will destroy model aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Senate Version of FAA bill will destroy model aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://youtu.be/V0Cgg5gtSg4
Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
I think we know that the Federal gov regulates things that are not just specified in the constitution.
Actually they do not. Most are regulated under the commerce clause.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Just listened to all of the youtube file SunDevilPilot posted a link to. I was astounded to hear how little the people on the panel actually know about aviation in general and R/C in particular. The opposition to the NH bill not only had their "ducks in a row" but also addressed specific points that needed to be looked at. This is just what the AMA board and members need to tell the four senators that literally threw together that similar bill in the senate. They basically are doing a "knee-jerk" response to what they are seeing in the news and not what's actually happening in their states
Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That is exactly what the AMA is doing at the national level, and in some cases the local level. It's important to let your local leader members and AVPs know about any pending state bills or proposed legislation so that they can take steps to address it. The folks in District 2, NY specifically, were mobilized last year by AVP Eric Williams and they did a fantastic job dealing with these exact issues.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 AM
franklin_m

Just read through all the amendments on the Senate Committee page. Both the 400 foot limit and the knowledge test are still in the bill. Only amendment I read that even touched on our issues was one that allows faculty, staff, and students at institutions of higher education (as defined by a section of federal law) to fly at AMA fields for educational or research purposes w/o FAA approval. Requires AMA and local club approval.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Just read through all the amendments on the Senate Committee page. Both the 400 foot limit and the knowledge test are still in the bill. Only amendment I read that even touched on our issues was one that allows faculty, staff, and students at institutions of higher education (as defined by a section of federal law) to fly at AMA fields for educational or research purposes w/o FAA approval. Requires AMA and local club approval.
I am wondering if this bill made it out of committee yet. I think I read that it has on another thread, I could be wrong. So what impact would a knowledge test have on model aviation?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I am wondering if this bill made it out of committee yet. I think I read that it has on another thread, I could be wrong. So what impact would a knowledge test have on model aviation?
It has been voted out of committee, here's their link and the amendments approved/disapproved:
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/publi...orization-bill

As for the knowledge test, I'm fully in favor. They do include language that says "The Administrator may waive the requirements of this section for operators of aircraft weighing less than 0.55 pounds or for operators under the age of 13 operating the unmanned aircraft system under the supervision of an adult as determined by the Administrator."
Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It has been voted out of committee, here's their link and the amendments approved/disapproved:
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/publi...orization-bill

As for the knowledge test, I'm fully in favor. They do include language that says "The Administrator may waive the requirements of this section for operators of aircraft weighing less than 0.55 pounds or for operators under the age of 13 operating the unmanned aircraft system under the supervision of an adult as determined by the Administrator."
I can relate this to you, franklin_m: I remember a time when a guy at a club flew a Stick. It had a 4-stroke OS Max, and no muffler. He would fly that plane all day. Bring it in, refuel, and take off. All day Saturday, and all day Sunday, when the field was busiest. Plus, any other day of the week he could come. There he would be, flying that stick with the LOUD 4-stroke. Anybody else who wanted to fly, would simply have to put up with the noise and his antics. He was not the most considerate club member on the planet, but he paid his club dues I guess. Luckily for the club, the place was a good 5 miles from the nearest house. None the less, the noise was deafening!

And then we had these big gassers, which didn't muffle that engine noise any better. And they would fly fast, and low. All I know is this: If I go out to a flying field to watch, and someone brings in a nice scale model with a 4-cylinder engine, I want to HEAR that engine and prop. NOT some LOUD warbird with a two-stroke gas engine and NO muffler. I know of at least one field that had to shut down due to noise complaints, and that had nothing to do with the FAA.

All of this makes me wonder if the testing and licensing requirements would serve to reduce some of this behavior. It may not, but at least it would put a little more value into the hobby. Because right now, anything with a radio can be purchased at Wal-Mart, and there is NO accountability. You buy the toy, and do what you want with it. And it has been that way with RC for the last several decades. Needless to say, I was a little shocked when I learned that all I needed was an AMA card and club membership to get into the hobby. Well, not even a club membership for some fields. Yes, I had some instruction because it was highly encouraged. But after that, there were essentially no rules because the models I had really weren't capable of breaking them anyway.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 03-21-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I can relate this to you, franklin_m: I remember a time when a guy at a club flew a Stick. It had a 4-stroke OS Max, and no muffler. He would fly that plan all day. Bring it in, refuel, and take off. All day Saturday, and all day Sunday, when the field was busiest. Plus, any other day of the week he could come. There he would be, flying that stick with the LOUD 4-stroke. Anybody else who wanted to fly, would simply have to put up with the noise and his antics. He was not the most considerate club member on the planet, but he paid his club dues I guess. Luckily for the club, the place was a good 5 miles from the nearest house. None the less, the noise was deafening!

And then we had these big gassers, which didn't muffle that engine noise any better. And they would fly fast, and low. All I know is this: If I go out to a flying field to watch, and someone brings in a nice scale model with a 4-cylinder engine, I want to HEAR that engine and prop. NOT some LOUD warbird with a two-stroke gas engine and NO muffler. I know of at least one field that had to shut down due to noise complaints, and that had nothing to do with the FAA.

All of this makes me wonder if the testing and licensing requirements would serve to reduce some of this behavior. It may not, but at least it would put a little more value into the hobby. Because right now, anything with a radio can be purchased at Wal-Mart, and there is NO accountability. You buy the toy, and do what you want with it. And it has been that way with RC for the last several decades. Needless to say, I was a little shocked when I learned that all I needed was an AMA card and club membership to get into the hobby. Well, not even a club membership for some fields. Yes, I had some instruction because it was highly encouraged. But after that, there were essentially no rules because the models I had really weren't capable of breaking them anyway.
I'm all for raising the standards. As with many things in life, the advancements in technology that brought us good cheap equipment has unintended consequences - like a disposable mindset. Want to be crazy with you model, no problem, it's an ARF. If you crash you can just buy another and be flying again next weekend. At least when folks spent hours upon hours building something, I'd venture to say they were a tad more careful with it - can care breeds responsible behaviors.

Now add to that the stabilization systems, auto pilots, and other technological advancements that lower the skill requirement even further.

Yep, I'm all for raising the bar, and it appears so is Congress.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM
franklin_m

Searching the news, it appears that AOPA, AUVSI, and EAA are please with the legislation out of the committee.

AOPA: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...FULL-US-SENATE

AUVSI: http://www.uasmagazine.com/articles/...uas-provisions

EAA: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-a...eauthorization
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Those groups may be happy but I saw nothing saying anything about the R/C community. There is still a lot of work to do to make this workable for us
Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Those groups may be happy but I saw nothing saying anything about the R/C community. There is still a lot of work to do to make this workable for us
Agree. My point was that there's been a lot of public statements about MOUs etc. between AMA and these groups, and it doesn't appear that is making a big difference. Those groups are happy with the law as written.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Silent-AV8R

Senate just published their final bill that will go to vote. It retains the 400 foot altitude cap and testing requirements for model aircraft operations. See Section 2129.

Hopefully if this passes the full Senate these provisions will not survive the Conference committee process where the Senate and Houses versions are reconciled into a final Bill

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...8C075B8DA13ABA
Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why is this not on the jet, giant scale, pattern, or sailplane forums? I have sometimes seen FAA news on the jet forums, less often on the giant scale, and pattern forums. But never on the sailplane forums. I started to post on the classic pattern forum but have not posted there in years so I didn't.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why is this not on the jet, giant scale, pattern, or sailplane forums? I have sometimes seen FAA news on the jet forums, less often on the giant scale, and pattern forums. But never on the sailplane forums. I started to post on the classic pattern forum but have not posted there in years so I didn't.
Keep in mind that RCU is not -GASP- the only Internet forum where RC hobby is discussed. Flying Giants has several threads going regarding the IMAC and Giant Scale world, RC Groups has multiple threads in a variety of sailplane forums, and the pattern email list server that is their most common means of communication also discusses this topic. As shocking as it might be to find out, there is a great big world out there beyond RC Universe.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Keep in mind that RCU is not -GASP- the only Internet forum where RC hobby is discussed. Flying Giants has several threads going regarding the IMAC and Giant Scale world, RC Groups has multiple threads in a variety of sailplane forums, and the pattern email list server that is their most common means of communication also discusses this topic. As shocking as it might be to find out, there is a great big world out there beyond RC Universe.
Good, I haven't signed up with other sites because I spend too much time with this one!