Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
We didn't get anything written, this is what he brought verbally to the members at the flying field the day he showed up. Yeah I wondered myself why he would bring up our bylaws about having our AMA cards posted, and about flying inverted over the field...I don't know if he has been back to the field to follow up, i'll email our prez and ask him about all the things the faa guy brought up.

another thing he brought up was us taxing to the pits, that has nothing to do with airspace.... once the plane is on the ground..
I'm not doubting what you were told...but something is completely wrong here. I bet it wasn't an FAA person, but someone from the town....or just a crackpot playing pretend FAA inspector....lol, what a role to impersonate. As others noted...get names, verify I.d. etc. Nip this over reach in the bud. Update when it all gets squared away. Thanks
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We didn't get anything written, this is what he brought verbally to the members at the flying field the day he showed up. Yeah I wondered myself why he would bring up our bylaws about having our AMA cards posted, and about flying inverted over the field...I don't know if he has been back to the field to follow up, i'll email our prez and ask him about all the things the faa guy brought up.

another thing he brought up was us taxing to the pits, that has nothing to do with airspace.... once the plane is on the ground..
Just to confirm, were you there in person and did you hear all this directly from the person asking the questions?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Just to confirm, were you there in person and did you hear all this directly from the person asking the questions?
I think he got the information second hand, but I hope whoever was there and/or the pre can clear things up. I can't imagine the FAA has the time or resources to do something like this. Im sure they will eventually be involved with some clubs, but as a result of something like a loss or complaint. For them to mention taxiing in the pits...wow!
Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by H5487
That IS a great outlook but it seems to me that there's a touch of Sticking-Your-Head-In-The Sand in it. Unfortunately, no matter how rosey we want life to be, we still need to keep one eye on Washington because our government has a bad record of The-Camel's-Nose-Under-The-Tent syndrome!

If my metaphors are confusing, PM me.

Harvey
Ha ha, very funny! And how is that working for you?

I agree knowing your senators might help you. I got quite familiar with some of the administrations we had in the past. I have worked for them as a hired gun (linguist) starting with with Mr George Shultz (when he was Sec. of State). I also work for the military, defense contractors, etc. I hold secret clearance of the DoD, Department of Homeland Security and the Executive Office of the Pres. at the WH. So, I know a couple of things about how things work (or at least I think so). I think bull****ting about any issue on line helps no one and wastes your time. Others might have another point of view, but if you want to influence anyone in our system, you need 2 things: a lot of signatures, and a good lobby company. So lunatics with great ideas in the vacuum do not help. Entities with lots of members that do write letters do help. Lobbyist are a must.

What you know, it's past 3PM, will stop work, and go to the shop. Have to make sure I charge all my batteries for this weekend. Happy 4th to each and everyone! (stealing a line from Tiny Tim...)

Gerry
Old 07-01-2016, 11:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Fly 'em like they are a rental!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
I think he got the information second hand, but I hope whoever was there and/or the pre can clear things up. I can't imagine the FAA has the time or resources to do something like this. Im sure they will eventually be involved with some clubs, but as a result of something like a loss or complaint. For them to mention taxiing in the pits...wow!
I'm thinking the same thing too. I don't see how any professionally trained FAA representative is doing to be asking about club bylaws or any other items outside of the FAA's jurisdiction.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
yeah it was from a club member who got it at our club meeting, i'll speak to one of our officers and get the full story, when i do; i'll post a update i'm either going flying saturday morning or monday morning. Our officers are early morning flyers, i should run into one of them, if not i'll email our pres to see what transpired...
Old 07-02-2016, 03:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

yeah it was from a club member who got it at our club meeting, i'll speak to one of our officers and get the full story, when i do; i'll post a update i'm either going flying saturday morning or monday morning. Our officers are early morning flyers, i should run into one of them, if not i'll email our pres to see what transpired...
Thanks, appreciate the response and update.

Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:35 PM
H5487

Re: Post #104 of this thread

Originally Posted by GerKonig

I got quite familiar with some of the administrations we had in the past. I have worked for them as a hired gun (linguist) starting with with Mr George Shultz (when he was Sec. of State). I also work for the military, defense contractors, etc. I hold secret clearance of the DoD, Department of Homeland Security and the Executive Office of the Pres. at the WH. So, I know a couple of things about how things work (or at least I think so).
Gerry
Sorry Guys but I've got to throw the BS flag on this one! Somebody who really has a government security clearance will never brag online to a bunch of complete strangers about the classified things that he has been involved with or has knowledge of !!!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-04-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:01 PM
GerKonig

Re: Post #104 of this thread

Sorry Guys but I've got to throw the BS flag on this one! Somebody who really has a government security clearance will never brag online to a bunch of complete strangers about the classified things that he has been involved with or has knowledge of !!!

Harvey
Harvey, you will never hear anything about past or current classified OR even regular confidential materials I worked on during my 25+ years as a linguist. A lot of documents were not even classified when we started working on them, they were classified later. It happens frequently. So, you can find a lot of things on line and we can talk about things that were not classified when they were done and I was involved. Also, a lot the things you can read in Spanish on the WH website are translated by me as most of the Presidential radial addresses. The agreement is in those cases that the material is "sequestered" until published. In the case of the speeches, until said. But, most of the linguist just do not discuss those particulars. Things are not B&W either. Sometimes you are asked to have a clearance to translate a manual of a piece or machinery, but the manual is not secret nor confidential. In my particular case, focusing on these kind of materials allowed me to stay in business. I go after projects that at least require the translator to be US citizen, and US based. It eliminates the cheap labor offered abroad from third world countries. I did not do this in some long time (years), but if you google "secret clearance jobs" you will be shocked to find out how many companies around DC are looking for people w/clearances. Having a clearance opens doors to jobs otherwise you would never see:-) Granted, last time I checked was during the prior administration, so, like 10 years ago. Agencies you could not even name in the past I am told have now websites, and are always are looking to hire:-) We get emails all the time from entities looking to hire people:-)
I really love my job, and at 66, I am not planning to retire until I hit the 70' if the Lord let's me:-)

Gerry
RC modeller all my adult life, photo aficionado and I love to travel. I will be here in 21 days, Chamonix, France. I took the shot last year at 12K feet in Aguille du Midi. Sorry it seems to come out small
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5299-2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2171367  
Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Stunning picture!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I just received an email from the AMA saying that we are exempt from the new UAS rules. It did not go into specifics. Can you guys tell me what these new rules are?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I just received an email from the AMA saying that we are exempt from the new UAS rules. It did not go into specifics. Can you guys tell me what these new rules are?
First post on this thread.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=20515

Look at Part 107 Rule.

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
First post on this thread.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=20515

Look at Part 107 Rule.

Mike
No, he probably means the latest e-mail, from today.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM
rcmiket

"No, he probably means the latest e-mail, from today."

The AMA email received today is referencing finalization of FAA Part 107 rule. Since it deals with commercial drone use none of it pertains to us hobbyist. Which is a good thing.

"Below are some commonly asked questions updated on July 5, 2016:

Q. Where can I read more about FAA's final rule on small UAS?
A: You can read more at www.faa.gov and the 624 page rule at http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_212...ean_Signed.pdf.

Q. How does Part 107 affect me as a member? Do I have to take a special test, receive certification, be capped at 400', etc...?
A: The FAA final rule generally applies to all commercial and civil operations, but exempts hobbyists who “satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336.” If you are an AMA member operating within our community-based safety program and are not conducting commercial operations, you are exempt from this rule.

Q. Do I still need to notify airports within five miles of my modeling activities?
A: Yes. This rule does not nullify the airport notification requirement.

Q. Do I still have to register with the FAA?
A: Yes. While the FAA codifies parts of Section 336, the new rule does not preclude the registration requirement. This is something the AMA is still working on.

Q. Do I need to put my FAA number on my model aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft. We are advocating to allow members to exclusively use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration, but at this time place both numbers on your aircraft.

Q. Where do I go to register?
A: You can register at http://registermyuas.faa.gov."

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"No, he probably means the latest e-mail, from today."

The AMA email received today is referencing finalization of FAA Part 107 rule. Since it deals with commercial drone use none of it pertains to us hobbyist. Which is a good thing.

"Below are some commonly asked questions updated on July 5, 2016:

Q. Where can I read more about FAA's final rule on small UAS?
A: You can read more at www.faa.gov and the 624 page rule at http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_212...ean_Signed.pdf.

Q. How does Part 107 affect me as a member? Do I have to take a special test, receive certification, be capped at 400', etc...?
A: The FAA final rule generally applies to all commercial and civil operations, but exempts hobbyists who “satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336.” If you are an AMA member operating within our community-based safety program and are not conducting commercial operations, you are exempt from this rule.

Q. Do I still need to notify airports within five miles of my modeling activities?
A: Yes. This rule does not nullify the airport notification requirement.

Q. Do I still have to register with the FAA?
A: Yes. While the FAA codifies parts of Section 336, the new rule does not preclude the registration requirement. This is something the AMA is still working on.

Q. Do I need to put my FAA number on my model aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft. We are advocating to allow members to exclusively use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration, but at this time place both numbers on your aircraft.

Q. Where do I go to register?
A: You can register at http://registermyuas.faa.gov."

Mike
Correct on both accounts, the e-mail was from today, and it's good news. No, I'll say great news!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 AM
franklin_m

This is in the bill to be voted on next week, a one year study to develop standards "for remotely identifying operators and owners of unmanned aircraft systems and associated unmanned aircraft."

"Model aircraft" are indeed a subset of "unmanned aircraft systems" and/or "unmanned aircraft."

SEC. 2202. IDENTIFICATION STANDARDS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—The Administrator of the Federal AviationAdministration, in consultation with the Secretary of Transportation, thePresident of RTCA, Inc., and the Director of the National Institute ofStandards and Technology, shall convene industry stakeholders to facilitate thedevelopment of consensus standards for remotely identifying operators andowners of unmanned aircraft systems and associated unmanned aircraft.

http://transportation.house.gov/faa-extension/ , pg37, lines 7 through 15.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:10 AM
H5487

"Remotely Identifying" sounds like they're thinking of some kind of on-board transponder or passive device so that police or military agencies can quickly determine whether an airborne UAV (be it a commercial or hobby UAV) is potentially hostile.

Harvey
Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

"Remotely Identifying" sounds like they're thinking of some kind of on-board transponder or passive device so that police or military agencies can quickly determine whether an airborne UAV (be it a commercial or hobby UAV) is potentially hostile.

Harvey
Likely when to use ADS-B and what identifying code. Will it be over 55 pounds over a half pound or somewhere in between? I would suggest 25 pounds if they can be made cheaply.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 AM
H5487

It sounds to me like you're familiar enough with ADS-B to know better than to use ADS-B and Cheap near each other!

Of course, satellite-based ADS-B would enable enforcement agencies to monitor large "non-UAV" zones such as TFRs around sports, entertainment, political events, or disaster areas, or even larger areas such as the 30-mile veil around Washington, DC. However, I suspect that we're still many years before an ADS-B unit can be made small and light enough to fit in an average-sized model. In the meantime, I imagine a "passive" device (such as the windshield-mounted device that we currently use to access cash-less toll roads). Such passive devices typically have short ranges but I can see the technology being adaptable for use by enforcement officials on the ground to selectively interrogate UAVs overhead.

Unfortunately, the enforcement possibilities that can result in easily-enforceable "non-UAV zones" is scary. Besides, Washington, DC, NASA and every military base will want such a veil of protection. Then every City Hall, police department, fire department, and other frightened government office will want their own no-fly zones. Maybe even a moveable one that follows the mayor's car. Then every national park and library will want its own to finally get rid of model airplane noise. Then condo complexes and even whole subdivisions. Before you know it, we'll be signing up for the first mission to Mars just so we can fly our models one last time! (No, wait, that would be a NASA event... )

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-10-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I just don't see the value for LOS non-commercial sUAS operations. Certainly for commercial BLOS operations though.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM
H5487

I just don't see the value for LOS non-commercial sUAS operations. Certainly for commercial BLOS operations though.
You're probably right. Unfortunately, whatever technology gets pushed onto commercial UAVs has a good chance of eventually trickling down to include the rest of us.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It sounds to me like you're familiar enough with ADS-B to know better than to use ADS-B and Cheap near each other!

Of course, satellite-based ADS-B would enable enforcement agencies to monitor large "non-UAV" zones such as TFRs around sports, entertainment, political events, or disaster areas, or even larger areas such as the 30-mile veil around Washington, DC. However, I suspect that we're still many years before an ADS-B unit can be made small and light enough to fit in an average-sized model. In the meantime, I imagine a "passive" device (such as the windshield-mounted device that we currently use to access cash-less toll roads). Such passive devices typically have short ranges but I can see the technology being adaptable for use by enforcement officials on the ground to selectively interrogate UAVs overhead.

Unfortunately, the enforcement possibilities that can result in easily-enforceable "non-UAV zones" is scary. Besides, Washington, DC, NASA and every military base will want such a veil of protection. Then every City Hall, police department, fire department, and other frightened government office will want their own no-fly zones. Maybe even a moveable one that follows the mayor's car. Then every national park and library will want its own to finally get rid of model airplane noise. Then condo complexes and even whole subdivisions. Before you know it, we'll be signing up for the first mission to Mars just so we can fly our models one last time! (No, wait, that would be a NASA event... )

Harvey
And, while your post does have possibilities of happening, I doubt that the powers that be would go that far. I see this as more of a likely scenario:
1) All major airports and military installations receive them
2) All major federal government buildings would get them, meaning the White House, Capital building, Supreme Court and Treasury Building, for example. I can't see any more in the DC area as they are already covered by other systems
3) Any facility that can legitimately prove not having the system is detrimental to their operation or existence. Of course, guidelines would have to be established and enforced.

Obviously, this negates residential areas, city parks or Joe Schmuck from getting the system. Local LEOs would still have to be called for many areas since there would always be someone that would complain just to complain. What would be ideal is to have the local governments establish areas where quads could be legally flown and establish guidelines for flying in those areas with enforcement of those guidelines established AND POSTED before those areas are opened to the public
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Sport_Pilot

In quantity it would be cheaper than a RC transmitter without all of the bell and whistles. It does not need to give information to the RC pilot, only a tracking to the satellite and that information available on full scale NextGen CAS systems.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think BLOS operations are legal yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.