Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Signed Up For The FAA Registration

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Signed Up For The FAA Registration

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signed Up For The FAA Registration

I just signed up for the FAA registration and thought I would be able to put a label on the bottom of my wing in the radio area with the number and my AMA number but the instructions are that the number be visable on the outside of the model.

So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a neat, clean looking way to add my number to the model. I don't want to just scribble it on with a marker. Any suggestions for printer labels or other ways to mark the plane?

I would also like to include my AMA number with the FAA number.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

The FAA says that it must either be visible from the outside or be able to be seen without the use of tools. So they allow it in the battery compartment of a drone for example.

I put mine inside the plane visible through the canopy, or on the underside of a hatch, etc. on electrics. Don't obsess about this.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ratshooter
I just signed up for the FAA registration and thought I would be able to put a label on the bottom of my wing in the radio area with the number and my AMA number but the instructions are that the number be visable on the outside of the model.

So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a neat, clean looking way to add my number to the model. I don't want to just scribble it on with a marker. Any suggestions for printer labels or other ways to mark the plane?

I would also like to include my AMA number with the FAA number.

Thanks in advance.
Contact Callie at Callie Graphics, she will print you a couple of dozen labels with your FAA and AMA info on them for 7 dollars shipped. I stick them under the canopy or somewhere.

Besides, if the FAA is doing an investigation that requires your FAA number chances are most of the model, insides and all will be accessible w/o tools

Someone said just write it on one of the tires in black sharpee
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Contact Callie at Callie Graphics, she will print you a couple of dozen labels with your FAA and AMA info on them for 7 dollars shipped. I stick them under the canopy or somewhere.

Besides, if the FAA is doing an investigation that requires your FAA number chances are most of the model, insides and all will be accessible w/o tools

Perfect, what a great idea!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM
beepee

I just created a Word document with my name, AMA # and FAA reg. Copied the text into various font sizes, then printed it out. I cut out the little rectangle of paper of the size I wanted, and put it face down on the sticky side of some larger clear packing tape. After sticking on the plane, job done ... 0 cost (not quite 0, but close).

Bedford
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

That works too.

I saw another suggestion about putting the numbers on batteries for folks who fly electric only.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM
ratshooter

Now thats a dang good idea.

I might try the word document thing. I hadn't thought of that one. I did copy the label thingy to Paint and reduced the size. But if it can be hid under a battery hatch why not under a wing that rubber bands on? No tools needed to remove rubber bands. I might still just put it on the bottom center of the wing and if any one wants to see I will remove the wing for them. That way they don't need any tools. And I did print out a copy and used 3M contact cement and glued it to my flight box.

You know this used to be simple. I flew at a school yard or an open field by the levee in Dallas next to the Trinity river. No AMA. No frequency board. Everyone just checked with everyone else and shared the sky. No gassers. No electrics. Just glow motors and a group of fellow flyers with the same likes.

But add some rules. Get organized. Bring in the government and it starts to look like the life I am trying to forget for a few hours.

But thanks for the ideas..
Old 07-06-2016, 04:51 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I write my FAA number on the back side of my prop, on the light blade before I balance it with clear urethane paint.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Now thats a dang good idea.

I might try the word document thing. I hadn't thought of that one. I did copy the label thingy to Paint and reduced the size. But if it can be hid under a battery hatch why not under a wing that rubber bands on? No tools needed to remove rubber bands. I might still just put it on the bottom center of the wing and if any one wants to see I will remove the wing for them. That way they don't need any tools. And I did print out a copy and used 3M contact cement and glued it to my flight box.

You know this used to be simple. I flew at a school yard or an open field by the levee in Dallas next to the Trinity river. No AMA. No frequency board. Everyone just checked with everyone else and shared the sky. No gassers. No electrics. Just glow motors and a group of fellow flyers with the same likes.

But add some rules. Get organized. Bring in the government and it starts to look like the life I am trying to forget for a few hours.

But thanks for the ideas..
I bought one of these years ago. Worth every penny and I use it all the time around the house. The labels are very durable.

http://www.brother-usa.com/PTouch/#.UdGI9JyqnWs
Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Reminds me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B7O6lUyEJs

(The intent is humor and is my personal opinion not that of any national organization)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Reminds me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B7O6lUyEJs

(The intent is humor and is my personal opinion not that of any national organization)
LoL...good one!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM
franklin_m

I use a Brother label maker, and then choose either black on clear tape or white on clear depending on the application. It's easy to print two lines, one is AMA# the other FAA#. So legal either way. As to placement, If figure the less someone has to "dig" to find it, the less likely they are to break something trying. So I put them either on the tail (like a tail number), on the canopy, or on the boom (heli).
Old 07-06-2016, 06:44 PM
ratshooter

Well my wife just told me she has one of the Brother label makers and all the tape I will ever need. So that problem is fixed. I would never have thought to ask if not for the replies here. So thanks guys.